PDA

View Full Version : Thread/Topic/Tangent question

BayardSPSR
2011-02-21, 06:49 AM
How permissible are tangents that roughly follow the flow of discussion? Does the One Topic One Thread rule work both ways? I am asking because I just posted this:
After some thought, I have a question or two:

Do you think the camp-based Alignment system might be connected to the fact that the earliest D&D rules were modified from a wargame? After all, there are other elements of that still exiting through the editions (spells as ammunition, levels, dungeons, and even classes). My instinct is that it is.

Perhaps more importantly: do you think these wargame holdovers reduce D&D's utility as a (taken more literally) Role-Playing Game (since role-playing was not the intention behind the rules as they began)? in a thread titled 'Rogues and Lawful Alignment' where the discussion has lately turned into the usual debate over the utility of Alignment systems, and only now realized that it may have little to do with the stated topic of the thread.

Should I have posted this in a separate thread? If so, should I now edit it with a strike-through and an apology for the tangent and re-post the original text in a new thread? I had no intention whatsoever of breaking any rule, explicit or implicit, and I would be more than happy to try to fix the situation if I have inadvertently done so.

Kobold-Bard
2011-02-21, 07:20 AM
The last part of your post (general question about wargame elements affecting D&D rather than just stuff about alignments) probably deserves it's own thread. If nothing else it will likely get read more at the top of its own one than in the midst of an alignment argument.

BayardSPSR
2011-02-21, 07:26 AM
True - but that sounds like it's edging towards some kind of spam to me, so I don't want to do it without an explicit green light from a mod.

Kobold-Bard
2011-02-21, 07:40 AM
True - but that sounds like it's edging towards some kind of spam to me, so I don't want to do it without an explicit green light from a mod.

Oh you definitely should. Out of curiosity though, why do you think that's spam?

BayardSPSR
2011-02-21, 07:51 AM
Well, in the sense of intentionally posting the same thing multiple times in different locations with the intent to get more views and responses? It's not spam by the strictest definition (in the sense that I'm not advertising anything, and that I'm genuinely interested in seeing the responses), but it's pushing the line - to cross it being, say, to post it in other popular but unrelated threads. It's not spam, but it's encroaching on it - if unapproved, of course; if approved it's fine (not that that needs stating).

Roland St. Jude
2011-02-21, 03:55 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Please just make these kinds of judgment calls on your own. If a moderator sees that something needs to be split or if people complaint a thread needs to be split (or conversely it's duplicative), they'll take care of it. I wouldn't want to try to lay down a precise rule for when something needs its own thread.