PDA

View Full Version : Alone Against the Deluge [Solo RHoD for ghostaxe]

OMG PONIES
2011-02-21, 08:58 AM
The midday sun beats down on your brow as your horse walks leisurely along--a pace to which it has grown accustomed. It stops to graze for a moment at a fertile patch of grass along the trail, right below a gnarled old sign. Drellin's Ferry, 6 miles, it reads. Once your steed has had his fill, he continues along the road, more out of boredom than any sort of urgency or obligation. The unchanging scenery remains much like it was: another rolling hill covered in grass in various stages of starvation, with nary a tree in sight. At the bottom of the next hill, and old abandoned farmhouse sits idly by the path, another empty shack long abandoned for greener pastures.

A band of clouds rolls in, providing some brief but welcome cover from the heat and the sun's scorching rays. A cool breeze begins to blow as you continue along the road, and a light rain begins to fall. The dust of the trail is churned into mud beneath your horse's hooves, but your travel remains unimpeded. Suddenly, a roll of thunder tears through the air, and a bolt of lightning tears through the sky in your direction. It catches you square in the chest, and you fall limp on your horse. Your vision goes entirely white, and you hear a familiar voice...the Stern Lady herself.

"Creen, hold firm to your faith. Do not let your foundation fall beneath the flood. You are the only light to stand against the coming dark."

With that, the white light fades to black, and you see a quick flash of a bloody pawprint before regaining consciousness. Your horse comes to a pause, grazing at yet another sign. You stand at a crossroads; the path on your left leads to the farmhouse, while on the right the trail widens and continues toward Drellin's Folly. The rain does not relent, and lightning crackles through the sky yet again, sending a shiver up your spine.

Listen and/or Spot checks, please.

ghostaxe
2011-02-21, 04:48 PM
Lecern's CoyoteCode character sheet (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=10572), for your convenience.

Creen's character sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=276383), for easy access.

Other game link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10404284#post10404284)

Creen reluctantly urges his horse toward the direction of Drellin's Ferry. He didn't like the sound of that last message. "Only light to stand against the coming dark, huh? I'd rather prefer to be one of many, and preferably further towards the back."

He sighed. Working towards immortality was tough business. But then he brightens a little. Well, it can't be that dangerous. Otherwise, Wee Jas would give access to all 9 levels of her divine power, rather than just 2. It was probably just deific melodrama.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

OMG PONIES
2011-02-22, 01:41 PM
http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/aatd.bmp

As you scan the treeline, you catch the faint outline of a figure scampering through the forest about 30 feet away. You can’t quite make out what the creature is, but it is small and vaguely humanoid, though it travels like a primate, grabbing the trees as it scurries about. Suddenly, it stops dead in its tracks and turns toward you. It shouts out a series of low, guttural barks.

Goblin speakers only:
”Hey, boss! It’s a snotting hummie*! Let’s make a hat from his skull!”

*a derogatory goblin term for humans
Your attention is seized by your horse crying out in pain, an arrow from an unseen source striking it in the side. It rears up on its hind legs and kicks at the clouds as another bolt of lightning shreds through the sky.

Ride DC 5 to stay in your saddle (you auto-succeed!)
Spot DC 4 to notice sniper (you auto-succeed!)

Another creature, similar to the one you saw, sits in a low tree branch in R13. It has an arrow in its hands, and it snickers quietly. As you see it, it tries desperately to hide in the leaves of the tree, but its position has been given away.

OOC:
We’re now in initiative—I took the liberty of rolling for you to determine whether I should just post these creature’s full actions or not. Also, do you want me littering the thread with separate rolls as I remember them, or is it okay for me to just use the die roller thread (at least while I’m DMing) for rolls I forget? It makes this thread a lot less cluttered, but I want you to trust that I’m not fudging numbers. Also, thanks for the compliment on the map. I like the texture too, though I couldn’t find a good one for the trees. Speaking of, the trees provide 20% concealment against ranged attacks to any creatures within them. Also, please keep in mind that, since your horse isn't trained for combat, it will take DC20 ride checks to command him in battle as a move action.

You’re up first in initiative.

OMG PONIES
2011-02-22, 02:19 PM
Sorry, I posted above just to see if the image hosting site I found would work, and I didn't add my rolls. Can you see the map okay?

DM ONLY

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]

OMG PONIES
2011-02-22, 04:07 PM
More rolls, DM only
[roll0]

ghostaxe
2011-02-22, 04:27 PM
Go ahead and roll however you feel is most convenient. I'll trust you to not fudge rolls (even in my favor, I like playing the way things just turn out).

On a related note, with Action Points involved, there probably will be some back-tracking regarding actions at some point. (For example, I could have asked for a +1d6 on my init.)

Creen doesn't understand much of what was said, but gathers enough from the arrow that it probably wasn't welcoming.

Creen was fond of his horse. It had the same general outlook on life as Creen did. He quickly dismounts (move action) and shouts, "Get yourself outta here, horsie! I'll see you in a bit!"

Creen then moves toward archer in R13, while drawing his short sword. (Shield presumably was already wielded.)

Child of Shadow Stance. Gain concealment if Creen moves 10 feet or more, which Creen will endeavor to do. Don't know if this concealment stacks with forest concealment.

Also, I'm assuming Creen can reach into the tree with a melee weapon? If not, Creen draws his short sword while on the horse, and then Shadow Jaunts onto the tree..

OMG PONIES
2011-02-22, 05:49 PM
http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/aatd1.bmp

Your horse, long familiar with short sojourns and long naps, continues down the road at the same casual trot...even with an arrow lodged in its organs. As you round it to close with the sniper in the trees, you get a better picture of the creature--it looks like the ugliest hobgoblin you've ever seen, covered not in wrinkly skin, but thick fur. It titters a small laugh as it drops its bow and pulls out a crudely woven net, which provides you a moment's opportunity to strike at the creature. It whines loudly beneath your blade, tossing the net feebly over your shoulder.

Meanwhile, the first creature you spotted takes up his bow, firing across the path at you. His arrow goes wide, though, and lodges itself in a tree. A larger, musclebound hobgoblin emerges from the farmhouse and moves down the path toward you at double time. He clangs two short swords together and shouts out, "Suppertime, boys! Uth-Lar is cooking, and we're serving human!"

DM ONLY

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
Z is invisible in H19

OOC:
No, I don't think Child of Shadow stacks with the concealment from the trees. If you can find a source that Child of Shadow stacks with other concealment, I'll review it. You're allowed an AoO vs. the creature in R13, and then you're up in initiative. Also, not to be a stickler, but can you post the co-ordinates you're moving to? I like to be as specific as possible.

ghostaxe
2011-02-22, 07:49 PM
Ah, my bad. Will post coordinates from now on.

Also, I take it Creen walked, rather than teleported, and still has Shadow Jaunt available?

Yeah, it probably doesn't stack. I'll be using Child of Shadow's concealment then, because it specifically provides 20% miss chance against both ranged and melee attacks.

Creen takes advantage of the goblin's clumsy movement grabbing out the unwieldy net, and slashes at the hobgoblin's wrists.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] +[roll2] (electric)

Next round:

If attacks hits and kills/disables hobgoblin:

Creen uses Burning Blade and charges Uth-lar (moving to O16).
Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4] +[roll5] (electric) + [roll6] fire.

If attack hits and wounds hobgoblin:

Creen slashes at the hobgoblin again.
Attack: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8] +[roll9] (electric)

And then he moves to S12 (behind the tree), so that Uth-lar cannot charge.

If attack misses hobgoblin, or if net has restricted Creen's movements:

Creen Shadow Jaunts to on top of the tallest tree in the vicinity, and draws his longbow.

OMG PONIES
2011-02-23, 02:44 PM
http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/aatd2.bmp

The hairy goblin drops dead beneath your blade, too slow to dodge your attack. As you turn and charge toward him, the musclebound goblin merely smiles. Your attack tears into his flesh, cutting a deep gash through his armor into his chest. However, the maniacal creature laughs. ”Uth-Lar feels a gentle breeze! THIS is how you stab!” He lunges toward you with one of his short swords, but all it cuts through is the air beside your head. ”Practice Swing!” he laughs again. ”Now you follow Uth-Lar,” he says with a rough nod as he takes a step back five feet.
The first creature you spotted moves closer to the fray, climbing effortlessly through the tree limbs. He, too, drops his bow and pulls out another crude net as he moves towards you, letting it fly in your direction. However, the net falls limply at your feet. From somewhere behind Uth-Lar, you hear the unmistakable sound of a spell being cast, though you cannot see its source.

Your horse, unaffected by the chaos of battle, continues his insolent trot down the road.

Martial Lore DC 11 to open:
Uth-Lar attempted to initiate Leading the Attack, but missed.
Martial Lore DC 24 to open:
By his certain, strong, unrefined strokes, you can tell that Uth-Lar is a student of the Devoted Spirit and Stone Dragon schools. The attack he tried against you, however, was bold and eager—a clear sign of the White Raven school.
Spot DC 20 to open:
There is definitely something in L20, though you can’t quite see or target it.
Spellcraft DC 17 to open:
The spell being cast is Cloud of Knives.
DM ONLY
Zarr is invisible in L20, with Cloud of Knives active

ghostaxe
2011-02-23, 08:47 PM
Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
Spellcraft: [roll2]

"Keep moving during combat. It's harder for your opponent to hit a moving target than a still one.". The lessons from Roga suddenly flood back into Creen's mind. It'd been forever since Creen's been in a swordfight, but as is often the case with lazy geniouses, all skills return in their moments of need.

Creen moves to O-18, and then to N-18 (gaining concealment), before striking the one known as Uth-lar with a Mountain Hammer strike.

Damage: [roll4] +[roll5] (elec)

Creen hears an invisible combatant casting Cloud of Knives. "Well, he'll give away his position if he uses it against me."

Does Creen hear sounds of heavy metal armor from the invisible guy?

ghostaxe
2011-02-24, 07:13 AM
I just remembered that Human Paragon gets adaptive learning, so I didn't need to take Able Learner. Redoing my skill points without the Able Learner, all I lose is 1 point of Concentration and 1 point of Diplomacy. Since I haven't used either skill yet, would it be possible for me to change that feat to Endurance?

1: (cleric) spellcraft 4, know[religion] 4, diplomacy 4, concentration 4, listen 4/2
2: (paragon) spot 5, listen+1=3, know[religion]+1=5
3: (paragon) spot+1=6, listen+1=4, tumble 2, diplomacy+2=6, know[religion]+1=6
4: (paragon) spot+1=7, sleight of hand 1, diplomacy+1=7, concentration +2=6, tumble+1=3, know[religion]+1=7
5: (swordsage) listen+4=8, tumble+3=6, concentration+2=8
6: (monk) spot+2=9, listen+1=9, know[religion]+2=9, diplomacy+2=9
7: (divine oracle) spot+1=10, listen+(2/2)=10, know[religion]+1=10, concentration+1=9

OMG PONIES
2011-02-24, 11:25 AM
Yes, you definitely hear the clanking of metal plates coming from the area of the invisible spellcaster. Also, go ahead and swap out Able Learner for Endurance. Your horse has kept going down the path, and is now out of sight.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/aatd3.bmp

The creature in the trees emerges from the forest, scampering behind you to get a decent shot with the shortsword it has drawn. However, its short limbs cannot reach your vital organs, and its stab misses you. Uth-Lar exhales heavily under your attack, the smile fading from his face. He makes a feeble swing, attempting to maintain a defensive stance. Staggering to stay on his feet, he calls out, ”Medic!” Almost instantly, his wounds seem to disappear as the invisible creature casts yet another spell.

The spell being cast is Cure Moderate Wounds.
Uth-Lar attempted to initiate Stone Bones.
By his certain, strong, unrefined strokes, you can tell that Uth-Lar is a student of the Devoted Spirit, Stone Dragon, and White Raven schools.
Spot DC 20 to open:
The invisible creature is now in L19.
DM ONLY:
Zarr is still invisible, in L19. Also, Uth-Lar gained 10 temporary HP from Stone Power.

ghostaxe
2011-02-24, 10:36 PM
Sorry I'm late. Busy day at work today.

Rules question: Does an invisible monster contribute to flanking? My impression is that the +2 to attack flanking is due to the defender being distracted from defending the other side as well. In the case of the invisible opponent, the PC is not defending against him (which is why the PC is denied DEX bonus to AC vs. invisible), so I would argue the visible opponent does not benefit from flanking bonus.

Spellcraft: [roll2]

Creen is impressed by the survival abilities of his foe, Uth-lar, if not by his melee abilities.

If Invisible attacker does NOT contribute to flanking

Creen decides that he'd rather not fight on two fronts, and attacks the hobgoblin in O16.

Attack:[roll3]
Damage: [roll4] + [roll5] (elec)

If the attack killed/disabled the hobgoblin, Creen will take a 5' step into O16, where the hobgoblin was before. If the attack didn't kill/disable the hobgoblin, Creen will take a 5' step to O18.

If Invisible attacker contributes to flanking

Creen decides to continue his onslaught against Uth-lar with the Shadow Blade Technique.

Attack:[roll6]
Attack:[roll7]
Damage: [roll8] + [roll9] (elec)
Extra damage if both hit: [roll10] (cold)

OMG PONIES
2011-02-25, 05:03 PM
RAW, flanking is determined by whether or not two creatures threaten a common enemy on opposite borders/corners. There is no stipulation about the enemy being able to see the flanking creatures. While it’s common sense that you’re not distracted by an invisible opponent, I’m going to have to stick with RAW. Invisible attackers contribute to flanking. Not like they're hitting you, anyway. :smallmad:

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/aatd4.bmp

Uth-Lar takes your attack in stride, striking a proud pose, one sword raised to the heavens as the other comes down on your collarbone. ”Uth-Lar will endure!” he shouts, though you’re not sure whether it’s meant to intimidate you or remind himself. Another brash stroke misses you, flying wide. The creature behind you lashes out with its sword, but it follows Uth-Lar's feeble example. ”Fight on, brother,” the invisible goblin grumbles to Uth-Lar as he casts another healing spell. A raucous sound comes from the trail to the south, and you can see a group of small, hairy figures. ”Save some for us!” they shout in eery unison.

Uth-Lar initiated Vanguard Strike against you.

By his certain, strong, unrefined strokes, you can tell that Uth-Lar is a student of the Devoted Spirit, Stone Dragon, and White Raven schools.

Spellcraft DC 16 to open:
The spell being cast is Cure Light Wounds.

Spot DC 20 to open:
The invisible creature is in L19 now.

DM ONLY:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] (-4 since U Attack misses)
[roll3]
[roll4]
Z is still invisible in L19

ghostaxe
2011-02-25, 05:15 PM
Creen sighs as he strikes, "Uth-lar, you sure you wanna continue this? Your healer friend can't have that many spells left... If you surrender now, I'll let you keep your life, and take only your equipment. Same thing to all your buddies."

Inwardly, however, Creen is both impressed by his opponent's durability and frustrated by his own lack of ability to finish off the fight. Creen will need to have words with Wee Jas later.

Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] (elec)

Then take 5' step to N18.

OMG PONIES
2011-02-25, 05:44 PM
Sorry I forgot the Martial Lore and Spellcraft spoilers last time--I'll go back and add them. I don't think there will be any surprises. Anyway, in round 5, you take 6 damage.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/aatd5.bmp

Uth-Lar laughs and steps off the path, making yet another stab at you. This one connects with your collarbone, and the hobgoblin licks his lips at the sight of human blood.

Take 6 damage.

"Uth-Lar needs no spells!", he bellows, "Uth-Lar has stamina!" The small, hairy goblin behind you stammers, "Bsooiwe sdfa eroiw..."

Goblin speakers only:
"But he'll let us live!"

Uth Lar's eyes narrow to slits as he shouts, "YOU FIGHT OR YOU DIE, CHIMP!" The small creature mutters, "Sorry," as it steps behind you and tries to stab you yet again. From behind Uth-Lar, you hear the familiar chanting of another healing spell being cast. Meanwhile, the band of hairy goblins scampers through the dirt towards you, moving in double-time in a strange formation. Though they are primitive creatures, they keep formation as if they've had some military training.

Uth-Lar initiated Crusader's Strike against you.

Spot DC 20 to open:
The invisible creature is in M19 now.

DM ONLY:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
Z, still invisible, 5 foot steps to M19.

ghostaxe
2011-02-25, 05:52 PM
Creen considers this situation and says, "Oh zark this. I want to survive, not to fight fair!"

Creen Shadow Jaunts to E17, on top of the roof of the cottage (standard action). He then removes the Crystal from his sword, and drops the sword.

Child of Shadow activates for concealment. High ground for +1 AC? Actually, that's probably not RAW. It was just some Eberron adventure special rule for Lucan to make him not suck quite so much.

OMG PONIES
2011-02-26, 04:15 PM
Shadow Jaunt lets you teleport 50 feet, but please keep in mind that the cottage roof is 10 feet up, so you cannot reach E17. You can take a 5-foot step and then teleport to F18, though. This will put you on the corner of the rooftop. Is that okay? Also, creatures labeled 1-6 are 5 feet up.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/aatd6.bmp

The small, hairy creatures ooh and ahh as they see you instantly appear on the cottage rooftop. They scamper through the trees, grabbing branches effortlessly and hoisting themselves up towards you. They assail the rooftop with a bevy of hoots and hollers, but not much else. The other small creature that has been fighting you under Uth-Lar's command returns to the closest patch of trees, scouring the ground for his bow. He finds it and snatches it up, fumbling with his quiver to load fresh ammunition. Uth-Lar spits curses under his breath and moves toward the house. "Do something about his magic, brother!" he shouts toward the invisible spellcaster. Suddenly, a hobgoblin much like Uth-Lar appears. While Uth-Lar is well-built and muscular, this monster is pudgy--at least, what you can see beneath his banded mail. He clutches a holy symbol of Tiamat between his claws, and he whispers to you. Though his words are soft, they reverberate in your head. One word, repeated infinitely in your psyche until it sounds like an idea you had yourself: "Fall."

A new hobgoblin appears and casts a spell; Will save DC 13 or fall prone (thus falling off the roof of the cottage).

The spell cast is Command.

DM ONLY:

[roll0] -6 for range penalties
[roll1] -6 for range penalties
[roll2] -6 for range penalties
[roll3] -6 for range penalties
[roll4] -6 for range penalties
[roll5] -4 for range penalties

ghostaxe
2011-02-26, 04:18 PM
A 5 ft step before that would work, although I think I get an extra 5 ft because the first diagonal move costs only 5' of movement (5' up and 5' to the left). But whatever, as long as Creen gets onto the roof.

Will save: [roll0]

Creen shakes his head and quips back. "No, how about you fall?"

Creen is disturbed by the extraordinary nimbleness of the goblin mooks, but is pleased that the Uth-lar and the Cleric appear to be unable to climb the sides of the building due to their heavy armor.

Creen decides that he should first do something about the onslaught of the chimp-like goblins, as he quickly grabs his bow, stuffs the crystal into the bow, and then moves to E16.

Shield is still wielded. Child of Shadow activated for concealment. As a monk, Creen can kick with unarmed damage even though both hands are full.

I'd argue the goblins are flat-footed mid-jump if they try to jump from the trees to the rooftop? Also, they don't have a "running" start so jump DC is doubled?

OMG PONIES
2011-02-26, 04:23 PM
Yeah, my bad--I miscounted. You can be on E17 if you want.

OMG PONIES
2011-02-26, 06:01 PM
Geez, you're right. I consulted the table in my PHB, which says range increment. Never thought to check the text. In the spirit of a quick fix, we'll just say the net throwers move to the same locations and ready actions. You can feel free to edit your turn or let your action stand. Sorry, and good catch.

ghostaxe
2011-02-26, 06:01 PM
No worries. I only saw that when I was checking it out to see what my "entangled" options were.

Creen moves to E16 instead, just out of the range of their nets. Action otherwise unchanged.

OMG PONIES
2011-02-28, 11:48 AM
I can't find any RAW citation that creatures are flat-footed during a jump. However, you are correct that the Jump DC is doubled due to the lack of a running start. It's been accounted for in my rolls. Also, creatures 2, 3, and 5 are in the same square...they're Swarmfighting!

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/aatd7.bmp

The hooting and hollering of the small creatures gets louder, escalating into a cacaphonous roar. The creatures start foaming at the mouth, and each launch themselves towards you. Three of them falter, falling to ground below with tiny shouts. The remaining creatures, however, group together on one corner of the roof. While two of them swing wildly with their axes, one waits for the perfect opportunity to strike, swinging at your legs. However, he can't land a blow, nor can the small creature now shooting his bow at you from the trees. The little creature looks to see if Uth-Lar is paying attention to him. Seeing that the leader is not, he scampers towards his fallen comrade, whimpering softly.

On the ground, Uth-Lar curses his luck and turns his blades against the wooden wall of the farmhouse, attempting to bring it down. "Come on, brother!" he shouts to the caster, "It's time to prove your mettle!" The caster pulls out a morningstar and also commences attacks against the wooden planks holding up the roof. The caster's blow glances off one of the supports, leaving it unscathed as he struggles to keep his hold on his weapon. Uth-Lar's attack, however, wedges deeply into the wood. The wall begins to buckle and warp slightly, and you hear the snapping sound of splintering wood.

Knowledge (Local) DC 15 to open:
You recognize these creatures as forestkith goblins, smaller simian relatives of the common goblin that fight by entering a mad frenzy and screeching to frighten and confuse their foes.

Uth-Lar initiated Mountain Hammer against the wall.

DM ONLY:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]

Uth-Lar takes a -5 his attacks, gaining 10 temporary HP.

ghostaxe
2011-02-28, 10:11 PM
Hm, if Creen tries to Bull Rush them, how does that work? If Creen beats two of them, do two of them get pushed off? Or is it all or none with the 3 of them?

Also, Uth-lar's trying to destroy the house's walls to knock me down!? Don't buildings have like a billion HP? 10 HP / inch, so that's like at least 60, and that's just breaking a hole in the wall. Lol, this'll take him a while.

Creen sticks out his tongue at the goblins, and kicks one of them.

Damage: [roll1]

He then tumbles to D18.

Tumble: [roll2]

Shield still wielded. Child of Shadow Active.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-01, 01:00 PM
Bull rushes still only affect one creature per attempt. While the three of them can share the same space thanks to Swarmfighting, they’re still treated as 3 separate creatures.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/aatd8.bmp

The creatures that had originally failed in their attempts to reach the roof scamper back to the trees, climbing once again and launching themselves towards the roof. Only one makes it, but it shouts with a hoot of celebration. Meanwhile, those already on the roof drop their greataxes as they crawl around, pulling out their nets and tossing them at you as soon as they get close enough. Two fall limply at your feet, but one manages to snag you. It catches in your mouth; the net tastes like unwashed leather, and smells very much the same.

Below you, Uth-Lar continues his enraged attack on the building walls, with little effect. The caster, however, is a bit more shrewd. He steps back, pulls a scroll from his cloak, and begins reciting the ancient prayer contained within. A phantom Morningstar appears on the roof with you, swinging as if held by an unseen hand. However, that unseen hand must also be unsteady, as it can't connect with a solid blow.

You are entangled by creature 2's net.

The spell being cast is spiritual weapon

DM ONLY:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]

ghostaxe
2011-03-01, 02:53 PM
Net is made out of rope, and has no hardness right? Net also only has 5 HP, according to SRD. So I think Creen can do this...

Creen looks at his situation with amusement before springing to action. Stepping on part of the net with his left foot, he then makes a quick snap-kick with his right foot into the net, intent on tearing it.

After freeing himself from the net, Creen quickly jogs in a short circle (D18 -> C18 -> C19 -> D19 -> D18).

Creen thinks about his current straits, and after a long moment of concentration, the secrets of teleportation are renewed in his mind.

(Full round action to recover Shadow Jaunt.)

Shield still wielded. Child of Shadow still active.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-01, 06:58 PM
Sorry if I'm being RAW-heavy, but the SRD description of nets lists two options for escaping from a net:
1. Escape Artist check (DC 20)
2. Strength check (DC 25)

Both of these are full-round actions. Otherwise, you can stay entangled and take a -2 to attacks, -4 penalty to DEX, and move at half speed. Either way, please change your actions.

ghostaxe
2011-03-01, 07:39 PM
The SRD description for a Net lists it as having 5 HP. The attack penalty and the DEX penalty have already been accounted for. So Creen is physically attacking the net, just like one would sunder a weapon or attack a wall. By doing enough damage to it, you destroy it.

I think it's clear that someone entangled in a net still has the option to attack, otherwise it wouldn't be a -2 penalty to attack, but rather listed as "unable to attack", no?

Also, objects are immune to non-lethal damage, so normally people cannot attack the net with bare hands and get out. This is a benefit of being a monk...

OMG PONIES
2011-03-02, 11:23 AM
Sorry, I’m going to stick to my guns here. I posted on the Simple RAW thread, and nobody had any indications one way or the other. I’m inclined to read the two options available under the description of nets as the two only options. Also, I consulted the PHB and found the following:

The DM may determine that certain weapons just can’t effectively deal damage to certain objects. For example, you may have a hard time chopping down a door by shooting arrows at it or cutting a robe with a club.
I think that kicking a net that’s entangling you is much like the second example.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-02, 01:38 PM
For further occurrences, my ruling is option 2. Feel free to look for kamas when shopping, though I think you’ve chosen a great option for dealing with the net. Keep in mind, though, Child of Shadow is not active since you used a full-round action to renew Shadow Jaunt. Also, 2, 3, and 6 are in the same spot (Swarmfighting).

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/aatd9.bmp

The small simian creatures cheer as you seem to be stuck in their net. They pick their axes back up and close in on you, slashing and poking between the holes in the net with their tiny blades. ”Lk cqe asf reqd qper orw!” one shouts as he swings for your ankles. However, even with the tables tilted against you, none of the creatures can land a blow.

Goblin speakers only:
”We cut big tree down now!”
The phantom morningstar continues to attack you, while Uth-Lar leaves his blades buried in the wall, returns to the path leading up the hill, pulls out a bow, and fires madly at you. The two remaining creatures who have not yet reached the roof try once again, climbing the nearest trees and jumping towards you. One (6) lands with ease, while another (1) slips but manages to clutch the gutter, hanging from the roof. Wee Jas must be smiling upon you, because all of these attacks manage to miss their mark.

DM ONLY:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]

ghostaxe
2011-03-02, 02:06 PM
Hrm, I seem not to have noted which goblin I previously damaged (it's either 2, 3, or 5). Rolling 1d3 to see which one?

[roll0]

Creen sees that the leader of the bunch, Uth-lar is now no longer holding any melee weapons, and grins widely. "Uth-lar, I come for you!"

Creen Shadow Jaunts to K19, and then moves to N18.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-02, 05:54 PM
So, your 10 damage was to creature 2? Excellent, that’s the one I had noted it as all along! Also, you do not get an AoO vs Uth-Lar (Improved Grapple). My dad just went into the hospital, so I may be AFK for a few days. I’ll keep you posted.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/aatd10.bmp

Uth-Lar smiles widely at your return, dropping his bow and cracking his knuckles. ”Uth-Lar knows something you don’t know…” All of a sudden, you hear the faint sound of weeping from behind you, as the first goblinoid creature you encountered comes up behind you and attacks. Your body is wracked with pain as the creature stabs you in the back.

Take 7 damage.

Uth-Lar takes advantage of the distraction to grab at your neck, but cannot keep a decent hold. ”Uth-Lar was the best wrestler in his clan! No weapons are needed!” he boasts.

The small creatures on the roof hop down, moving carefully towards you with weapons drawn as the phantom Morningstar swings feebly at you once again.

DM ONLY:

[roll0] POSSIBLE CRIT, CONFIRMATION WAS A MISS
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]

ghostaxe
2011-03-02, 06:49 PM
Ah, what the heck, any action points I have left over when I level are wasted anyway, I'll use it. +[roll0] AC, and negate nat 20 auto-hit.

Incidentally, how hurt is Uth-lar looking? There were quite a few rounds of damage and subsequent healing, so I have no idea how he's doing. Just a vague physical description would be good.

No worries about posting frequency. I probably will need to take a moment to sketch out stats for Soranna as well.

Uth-lar burned both of his feats on Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Grapple? OK, that was definitely not expected :smalltongue:

Creen incants a quick prayer to Wee Jas as he feels the initial impact of the goblin's blow, and then feels the hand of the goddess guide the attack away (Used action point).

Creen bares his teeth at the goblin, "I offered you a chance to live. Now, I'm going to make sure to cook you alive when this is over!"

Creen tumbles to R17, drops his shield and fires at Uth-lar.

Tumble: [roll1]

Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] + [roll4]

OMG PONIES
2011-03-03, 01:42 PM
So, my dad’s out of the hospital…nothing serious, but apparently he thinks his heart medication is optional. Hopefully all the needles and tests set him straight. Back to the game! Uth-Lar looks relatively unscathed. A few minor wounds bleed slightly from your sword strikes, but that’s about it so far. Also, I toughened Uth-Lar up a bit (but made him easier to hit) by giving him the Vulnerable flaw and Stone Power as his corresponding bonus feat. If you find that cheesy, let me know and I won’t use flaws on monsters from here on out. Otherwise, it may come up here or there on tougher monsters, but not any of the dragons. That would be too mean. Once again, creatures 2, 3, and 5 are Swarmfighting in the same space.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/aatd11.bmp

Uth-Lar smiles as your arrow plunks into his chest, and seems to ignore the pain. ”Otas qewe eoy! Gawrge!” he shouts at the simian creatures, pointing a gnarled finger in your direction.

Goblin speakers only:
”Cast your net! Charge!”

The apelike creatures respond in perfect military fashion. One of them, still clutching a net, scampers toward you and tosses it through the air. The caster moves nearer the fray as fast as his armor will allow, grabbing his morningstar and waving it menacingly. The first goblinoid creature you spotted continues his assault on you, growing increasingly furious. ”Oef naet opg Aoigq!” it wails.

Goblin speakers only:
”His name was Adoxi!”

Two of the smaller creatures hang back, watching the events unfolding with rapt attention, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. The three who had been engaged with you on the rooftop, however, charge towards you with reckless abandon, waving their greataxes wildly. One after another, they come at your with merciless chops of their tiny greataxes. Uth-Lar saunters forward and bellows, ”I call dibs on his liver!” He gnashes his teeth and attempts to lock arms with you once more. However, your martial prowess allows you to dodge all of the attacks that are thrown at you.

DM ONLY:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]
[roll20]

ghostaxe
2011-03-03, 02:11 PM
Good to hear your dad is OK!

Ah, ok. Having a flaw is fine, although it would've been nice if Creen got the description that some of his attack damage seemed to be absorbed by temporary HP.

Hrm. Reading the description for Stone Power, there doesn't seem to be any limitation on what kind of attack, only that you need to make an attack. It seems a bit silly, but I guess Uth-lar was gaining his 8 temp HP for attacking the wall and also with the bow? In fact, I guess one could even attack empty space to gain the temp HP. There's also nothing to prevent using that in conjunction with Combat Expertise and Fighting Defensively, so a 4th level character could take -12 to Attack to get +7 AC (with Tumble) and 8 temp HP every round! Nice find, I'll have to remember to use it in conjunction with a Marshal build.

Just another slight nitpick, though I don't think it'll matter much. Goblin 2 can charge, but not 3 and 5:

Second, if any line from your starting space to the ending space passes through a square that blocks movement, slows movement, or contains a creature (even an ally), you can’t charge. (Helpless creatures don’t stop a charge.)

Creen looks at the large masses of enemies surrounding him, and mutters, "Geez, there's really no end to this. I shoulda learned how to throw fireballs instead of this divine magic crap."

Creen tumbles to Q13 and fires another arrow at Uth-lar.

Tumble: [roll0]

Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] + [roll3]

EDIT: If Uth-lar hits with his AoO and makes a grapple, Creen still has a standard action left, which he will use to make an Unarmed Attack against Uth-lar (you can go ahead and roll for me if that happens, +10 attack roll, 1d6+7 damage).

OMG PONIES
2011-03-04, 03:17 PM
Sorry, I didn’t even think of describing the temp HP…or how to do so. I’ll work on that for the rest of the fight whenever he uses the feat. Stone Power is one of my favorites, since putting it on someone with levels in crusader just makes them ridiculous. Not that I’ve done that here or anything…

Hm, I thought Swarmfighting allowed them to charge together. Rereading the feat, I see no exception that allows them to do so. Good catch. 2 still charged, and 3 and 5 just attacked normally so they missed even worse :smallbiggrin:. Post coming

DM ONLY:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6] should be 1 less, my bad
[roll7]
[roll8] should be 1 less, my bad
[roll9]
[roll10] should be 1 less, my bad
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]

OMG PONIES
2011-03-04, 04:01 PM
http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/aatd12.bmp

Take 29 damage from attacks of opportunity.

As you step away, Uth-Lar tries to grab at you again, but fails. Clearly frustrated, he yells, ”Stop cheating!” The small creatures clumped together fare much better, each slicing chunks of skin from your back and shoulders as you roll away. The chimplike creature at the south of the path hurls a net as you draw near, but that too misses you. Your arrow stabs into Uth-Lar’s shoulder, but he manages to grimace and keep fighting*. The goblinoid creatures converge on you, and those who have not yet drawn their axes pull them out. All of them attack you madly, hooting and hollering. Uth-Lar joins the fray, attempting once more to grab you, his wordless rage showing on his face. He falters slightly as the pain of the arrow finally sets in, but continues fighting nonetheless. The caster hangs back from the crowd, but clutches his Morningstar tightly. Most of the attacks, including Uth-Lar's, don't connect. However, the first creature you spotted strikes you firmly in the back. "Ffe Aoei!", it shouts.

Goblin speakers only:
"For Axio!"

Take 6 damage.

*Delayed damage pool.

DM ONLY:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]
[roll20] sorry, should be 1d4+3...only 6.
[roll21]
[roll22]
[roll23]
[roll24]
[roll25]

ghostaxe
2011-03-04, 06:05 PM
Ouch, that's a lot of damage, you sure you did all your attack rolls right? :smallwink: Creen will use an action point to try to negate one of the AoO by boosting AC (the one that did the most damage if Creen can select so, otherwise just the first one that connected).

AC: +[roll0] (vs damage taken last round)

Oy, looks like I might have to make a new backup character as well...

Creen curses again, and feels his head going dizzy. He decides he must use his stock of potions, though he generally doesn't like to.

Take 5' step to Q12, draw Potion of Invisibility from Handy Haversack, quaff it (taking AoO).

Action point for AC if any of the goblins hit him: +[roll1]

(EDIT: Actually, if possible, Creen will use an Action Point to negate the attack for 6 damage as well; you can roll for me.)

Creen was at 41 HP before the 29+6 damage, please inform Creen's HP after application of Action Points.

Hrm... possible post-mortem analysis:
1. Shouldn't have teleported to Uth-lar, although Creen would have no way of knowing he was at a disadvantage in an unarmed fight.
2. Underestimated the damage potential of the fodders, and should have stuck to strategy of killing the fodder before taking down Uth-lar and the Cleric.
3. Should have prepared Fire Riposte instead of Shadow Blade Technique, maybe Uth-lar would have been dead long ago that way.
4. Shouldn't have dropped shield; that 3 AC probably made a big difference.

So, all in all, a couple silly mistakes on my part (mostly 3 and 4), but also the monsters were well-designed. If Creen dies, I'd definitely want to try again!

OMG PONIES
2011-03-05, 10:37 AM
I'll let the Action Points apply to whichever case is most beneficial, since we're using the retroactively (such is the nature of PbP). Unfortunately, all the last round's AoOs were good enough that they still hit you, even with the action point. I was due for some good rolls, after the miss-fest I've been having! The 6 damage, however, is negated by your action point with no need for a roll--the goblin had just matched your AC. In regards to your analysis:

Yeah, teleporting to Uth-Lar lost you the advantage of the roof terrain, which had effectively removed 3 combatants from the fight and delayed the rest significantly. However, his grappling "prowess" was supposed to be the big surprise of the encounter once he had used up his maneuvers. I put prowess in quotes, of course, because he has yet to land a single touch attack against you.
The damage is pretty solid on them, with the caveat that they probably wouldn't be hitting too often. However, once your AC was lowered, you were flanked, and I was able to get their Swarmfighting bonuses, it was a perfect storm.
Yeah, I love counter maneuvers. I'm surprised I didn't see more from you.
This is the big difference. With the shield, the first goblin could only hit on a nat 20. The fodder and Uth-Lar had a difficult time as well. Dropping the shield basically gave all your enemies a +3 to all attacks.
My own point is that the AoOs unfortunately came before you had moved 10 feet, meaning that Child of Shadow offered no protection. It's a great stance, but flubbing that Tumble roll while surrounded was what really nailed you in that round.

The map is the same this round, as none of the goblins move. However, I just realized that I forgot to mention who's swarmfighting last post. 2, 3, and 5 are sticking together in the same spot, while 1 and 6 are sharing a spot as well.

You manage to down your potion while ducking the blades swirling around you. One is coming right for your neck, but the confused goblin stops his swing as you fade from view*. Uth-Lar pounds on his chest and screams at the sky, "CHEATER!" Nervously, all of the goblins clutch their weapons tightly, waiting for you to reappear.

*Use of action point

DM ONLY:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

ghostaxe
2011-03-05, 01:29 PM
Wouldn't the monsters attack my last seen position with the 50% miss chance? (Or maybe even surround the square to try to prevent Creen's exit?)

Also, another rules question: Does someone get an AoO vs. an invisible opponent that they know is there but can't see? I think by RAW the answer is Yes.

1. I think just the threat of Uth-lar's grappling was enough for Creen to decide to take out Uth-lar first, which I kind of stupidly tried with the bow (thus dropping shield), rather than just kick and then tumble. So even though Uth-lar didn't hit with his touch attacks, he had a very real impact on the recent turn of events.

2. Indeed, the mooks were missing so often that I figured Creen was probably still near the "hit only on nat 20" even if he dropped his shield.

3. Ah, the thing is, in the original RHoD there were lots of Hell Hounds, and that made me wary about having too much in the way of Fire damage. So I opted for higher accuracy with the Shadow Blade Technique.

4. The Tumble DC there was quite high (5 surrounding monsters = DC 23), so even with an Action Point I wouldn't have made that. I could have discharged Divine Insight, but that needed to be declared before I made the roll, and I completely forgot about it.

I'm going to list Creen's next few rounds of actions, feel free to interrupt the flow whenever you feel the monsters would do something that would cause Creen to change his plans (such as the Cleric summoning a Fiendish Dire Bat for the Blindsight).

Creen decides to take advantage of his invisibility to get back into the fight, mentally thanking Wee Jas for escape from that horrible combat situation.

Round 14: Creen tumbles (discharge Divine Insight) away from the group of monsters ([roll0], through monster squares if necessary) and then casts Lesser Vigor. (Monsters should no longer know Creen's 5' square after this round). HP = 13 / 47.

Round 15: Creen spontaneously converts his Silence spell into a Cure Moderate Wounds and casts it on himself . [roll1]. HP = 30. Creen then moves towards the building once more.

Round 16: Creen concentrates for a full round and recovers Shadow Jaunt. HP = 31.

Round 17: Creen Shadow Jaunts onto the roof. HP = 32.

Round 18: Creen concentrates for a full round and recovers Shadow Jaunt. HP = 33.

Round 19: Creen concentrates for a full round and recovers Burning Blade. HP = 34.

Round 20: Creen concentrates for a full round and recovers Mountain Hammer. HP = 35.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-07, 01:49 PM
I just figured that these monsters would be too shocked by someone disappearing to do much of anything for 6 seconds except ready actions to chop you up when you reappear. However, they would take AoOs against Creen (even when invisible). You can't see someone next to you, but you might feel someone moving and instinctively swipe your sword toward the area. However, you'd be nice and likely to miss, given the 50% miss chance.

The goblins warily begin to search the area, afraid of you falling from the trees or reappearing behind them. Whenever one steps on a twig, the others snap around, hoping to see you there. They want the search to end quickly and, as such, do not mind calling of the search after less than a minute. "Gowe oierg eese qweiod," Uth-Lar grumbles in Goblin, "wefo qo oqwi pq qwr oiie qwr oiqwera fowe otwoe mowerab. Toe," he points at one of them, "eor qwot tqw doqw." The creature he pointed at seems visibly shaken, but all of the creatures enter the farmhouse. From that point forward, their voices are muffled from your position on the roof.

Goblin speakers only:
"Get to the house...time to divvy up the gold and organs from those merchants...You, watch the door."

ghostaxe
2011-03-07, 02:29 PM
Is the door to the farmhouse open or closed?

Round 21: Creen Shadow Jaunts down to ground level again. HP = 36.
Round 22: Creen concentrates for a full round and recovers Shadow Jaunt. HP = 37.
Round 23: Creen kicks open the door, and fires an arrow (at Uth-lar if he's looking very wounded and in LoS, otherwise at some other hobgoblin that's wounded). HP = 38.

Init: [roll0]
Attack: [roll1] vs flat-footed.
Damage: [roll2] + [roll3] (elec)

Geez, 2 nat 1's.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-07, 04:20 PM
Rule of Cool states that it's closed, but you kick it down effortlessly.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/aatdB1.bmp

The door shatters beneath your kick, sending splinters of wood flying through the dark, dusty room. The boarded-up windows prevent most of the rain from getting in, but a chilling breeze still blows through the one-room home. As you step into the farmhouse, you see most of the creatures gathered in the far corner, huddled over something. One, however is missing--hiding behind the door. His axe swings for your gut, and he strikes again as you let an arrow fly towards Uth-Lar. Distracted by the attack, your arrow stick in the wall with a resounding TWANG.

DM ONLY:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

ghostaxe
2011-03-07, 04:29 PM
Does Creen get cover vs. the goblin hiding behind the door? If so, the Goblin can't make AoO.

"Darn it! When did goblins get to be so tactical?"

If Creen has cover:

Creen fires another arrow at Uth-lar.

Attack:[roll0] (vs flat-footed if Uth-lar is behind on Initiative)

And then Creen moves to L19 (Child of Shadow active). Creen regens 1 HP to 39.

If Creen does not have cover:

Creen tumbles back and moves to K18.

Tumble: [roll3]

and then readies an action to fire at the first goblin to come out of the door.

Attack:[roll4]
Damage: [roll5] + [roll6] (elec)

Child of Shadow active. Creen regens 1 HP to 39.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-07, 04:47 PM
No cover--I attempted to convey that by the door shattering when you kicked it down. By tumbling to your current location, you've lost line of sight inside the cottage.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/aatdB2.bmp

You knock your arrow and wait for the goblins to emerge from the house...and wait...and wait. However, none come forth.

ghostaxe
2011-03-07, 05:59 PM
Creen recovers all his manuevers, and is at 43 HP.

Creen decides he needs to take the battle back to the goblins. Creen jogs over and picks up his shield, as well as Uth-lar's 2 short swords. He puts his shield and the two short swords away into his Haversack.

Creen then Shadow Jaunts onto the roof, takes a full round to recover Shadow Jaunt, picks up his own short sword, and puts it into his Haversack as well.

Finally, when he's completely ready, Creen moves around on the roof top and then Mountain Hammers a hole into the roof (D16) with a powerful stomping kick. Creen shouts, "Death from above!"

Attack: [roll0] (-1, should be +10 for unarmed)
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] (-1-1d6, should be 1d6+7 and 2d6 for unarmed Mountain Hammer)

Child of Shadow active. Bow is wielded.

Oops. Made some mistakes with attack and damage.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-08, 11:01 AM
The roof doesn't break, but seems to give some beneath your massive strike.

DM ONLY:
Wood wall/roof @ 40/60 hp.

ghostaxe
2011-03-08, 11:28 AM
Creen frowns a little, surprised by the hardiness of the cottage. Then he draws his shield presses on.

Repeat until there's a hole in the ceiling, or some goblins exit the building.

Round 1: recover mountain hammer.
Round 2: run in a circle and then mountain hammer same spot on ceiling with his foot, being careful not to fall in.

Damage: [roll0]
Damage: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9]

OMG PONIES
2011-03-08, 01:31 PM
http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/aatdB3.bmp

Your third kick tears into the roof, sending planks careening down onto the goblins below. One plank tears through the goblin directly below it, leaving a ring of frightened creatures staring up at Creen, with one still standing by the door.

Creen is 10 feet above the goblins.

ghostaxe
2011-03-08, 01:38 PM
Visual description on how hurt the goblins still are? Any signs of healing during the lapsed time?

Creen shouts again, "Death from above... for real this time!" as he drops his shield (onto the roof) and fires an arrow at Uth-lar.

Creen then moves around, preparing to dodge any projectiles fired in retaliation (D16->D15->E15->E16 -> D16).

Child of Shadow active. Maybe have cover?

OMG PONIES
2011-03-08, 04:15 PM
The goblins look ragged, some look frightened even. There is no indication that any of them were able to heal during the break in combat. Creatures 1, 4, and 6 look fairly beaten up. Uth-Lar is injured, too; some wounds bleed through his armor. However, he is resolute and does not want the others to see how hurt he truly is. The first goblin, along with creatures 3, 5, and the caster, seem completely unharmed. The small hole in the roof provides cover against those not standing directly below you, but it also provides cover to those within the cottage. Creatures 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6 are in the same space.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/aatdB4.bmp
Uth-Lar grunts as your arrow catches in his stomach, grimacing in pain as he shouts at his lackeys: ”O’qe oge qog oeeg. Oeq qow qofqk foqw rqo qaoo qow fwo wo qofwq!”

Goblin speakers only:
”I’ll get the loot. You knock down the wall and get up there!”

He scoops up a burplap sack and tucks it into his belt. When the creatures move away from their huddle in the corner, it is then that you see it: five human bodies sit in a crude pile in the corner, riddled with axe wounds. Uth-Lar looks up at you as he moves towards the door and grumbles, ”You’re next on the stack.” Just outside the door, all of the small creatures chop away at the corner of the wall feverishly with their weapons until Uth-Lar steps forward. Brushing them aside, he punches at the wall with a mighty fist, sending a section of it crumbling inward. The corner of the roof groans and warps, beginning to buckle. Uth-Lar seems bolstered by his decisive strike, standing straighter and breathing easier, even under the pain of his wounds. However, he spits up some blood as he tries to breathe.

DM ONLY:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12] -5 Stone Power for 10 temp HP
[roll13]
[roll14]

ghostaxe
2011-03-08, 05:41 PM
Creen shrugs and declares, "Only if you can actually reach me."

Creen moves to F16 to get a clear shot, and fires at goblin G.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-09, 01:30 PM
Sorry for the delay; I can update the other game more frequently via my iPod, but I have to have access to Excel to update the map in this game. Updates should be more frequent when out of combat.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/aatdB5.bmp

The creatures continue their efforts, hacking away at the corner of the farmhouse. While it seems futile, the wall begins to give more and more, and it looks as though they may succeed at their task within the next few seconds. "Goe woie, owe qoqwe owqf!" Uth-Lar shouts to one of the creatures.

Goblin speakers only:
"Hey you, get over here!"

As the creature moves into the house, you see Uth-Lar punch the little goblin in the face, sending blood spurting from its mouth. "Your sacrifice is for the Hand," Uth-Lar grumbles as he licks the creature's blood off his knuckles, bolstered by the act. The caster lays hands on Uth-Lar once more and begins chanting, healing him even more still.

Uth-Lar initiated Crusader's Strike against the goblin.

DM ONLY:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13] Should be 1d6+4...take minimum roll for 5 total.
[roll14]

ghostaxe
2011-03-09, 02:03 PM
Creen is amazed by the persistence of these hobgoblins, and momentarily unsure whether to try to kill off the fodder or attack Uth-lar. Creen finally decides on the latter... once Uth-lar the grappler threat is taken care of, Creen can kill the rest at his leisure.

Then Creen picks up his Shield from the roof, in case it collapses and he needs to enter melee once again.

Gr... I've been rolling low damage for quite a while now.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-09, 03:30 PM
I think that forum dice rollers are programmed to always roll less than half or something. The low rolls are everywhere. As a map note, F17 & F18 are now on an incline, providing easy access from the ground to the roof. Keep in mind, while grappled you threaten no squares, you are flatfooted against opponents you're not grappling, and you cannot move without an opposed grapple check. Because of that last part, you cannot initiate maneuvers without an opposed grapple check. If you want to roll the check yourself, Uth-Lar is at a +11 for opposed grapples.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/aatdB6.bmp

The creatures continue their assault on the planks of the house, and the wall finally succumbs under the weight of the roof. The rubble stands at a steep angle, but the goblins can still scale it with ease. They come towards you, ready for a fight. Uth-Lar is particularly eager, walking up the incline and attempting to grapple you once more. ”You will falter!” he shouts. The strain on his neck causes blood to trickle from his fresh arrow wound. However, he converts his pain into rage and manages to grab you by the neck. Though you try to fight, his strength is too much, and he grapples you. The rest of the creatures fall in rank and file behind him, all waiting for their turn to shed your blood.

You are grappled by Uth-Lar. Take 5 damage.

DM ONLY:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]

ghostaxe
2011-03-09, 04:21 PM
Creen grins, "We'll see who drops first!"

Creen uses Burning Blade on his foot and kicks Uth-lar.

Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] (fire)

OMG PONIES
2011-03-09, 04:40 PM
Unfortunately, you can't initiate Burning Blade right now, since you can't move. Please reference the following:

To initiate a maneuver or a stance, you must be able to move.

You can’t move normally while grappling. You may, however, make an opposed grapple check (see below) to move while grappling.
As such, you cannot take the actions presented while grappling. Please edit your actions.

ghostaxe
2011-03-09, 05:13 PM
Grumble grumble of course this happens when I roll max damage on my extra fire damage...

Post edited.

Actually, wait, the PhB says you can't move normally while grappling, while the ToB says must be able to move, which I interpreted as non-bound/paralyzed. During a grapple, some movement is still allowed, because you can activate magic items and attacks with light weapons.

Is there any possibility you would reconsider this ruling?

This actually matters a lot, because I was counting on Shadow Jaunt to escape grapples.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-09, 05:29 PM
You know, I was wondering about that while I was reading…You can’t move, but you can draw weapons, attack, and activate magic weapons? Yeah, I’ll allow Burning Blade to stand. Damage has been accounted for on Uth-Lar—can’t waste a roll that nice. However, you won’t be able to initiate maneuvers if Uth-Lar successfully pins you…Creatures 4, 5, and 6 are swarmfighting in the same space. The same goes for creatures 1 and 3.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/aatdB7.bmp

Uth-Lar’s skin is scorched by your kick, and you feel his muscles tense as he attempts to fight back the pain. Try as he might, it shows on his face; the hobgoblin is severely wounded. Despite it all, he grins and pushes with all his might, trapping you beneath his massive boot. ”Uth-Lar…is…STRONGER!” he shouts as he holds you against the roof. Meanwhile, the other goblins fill the roof and surround you, shouting in Goblin and hacking at your with their blades. No longer can you dodge their attacks; all but one of them find their mark, tearing at your immobilized body. Even their caster joins in, slamming your skull with his Morningstar in an attack that leaves you reeling to maintain your bearings.

You are pinned by Uth-Lar. Take 35 damage.

DM ONLY:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]

ghostaxe
2011-03-09, 05:38 PM
Creen grits his teeths and wills one of the attacks to be deflected. (Creen will use an action point to boost his AC against the most damaging attack, or the first attack if that cannot be determined.)

Action Point: [roll0]

EDIT: Oy, vey. My AC is 16 right now, 17 vs. 1 attack with the action point. 25 normally, denied DEX bonus, -4 for pin. Might be time to boot up Lecern soon.

EDIT2: Hrm, I don't suppose the 17 would help on the crit confirmation roll by the cleric instead?

OMG PONIES
2011-03-09, 06:04 PM
No crits last round--one rolled a nat 20, but missed on the confirmation by 1. However, your AC is currently 11, as listed below:

10 base
5 armor
3 shield
-5 DEX (since you're immobilized)
3 Deflection
-1 Miscellaneous (Vulnerable Flaw)
-4 Pinned

This table (http://www.dndsrd.net/combatModifiers.html) shows that being pinned provides a -4 to AC, as well as a -5 DEX modifier. The action point still could have negated one of the attacks, but your unfortunate roll on that means all the attacks stand.

ghostaxe
2011-03-09, 06:42 PM
Oh, hrm. I didn't realize it actually made your DEX effectively 0, rather than just negate your DEX bonus. :smalleek: I guess the action point did nothing then. Creen is at 3 HP, and if this next action doesn't work, he's most likely dead.

Creen readies an action to Shadow Jaunt to O16 in response to Uth-lar trying to maintain a pin, dropping unconscious, or otherwise letting go of the grapple.

By RAW, pin lasts 1 round, so Creen should be considered not pinned at the beginning of Uth-lar's turn. Readied action occurs just before trigger, so Creen's action will be before Uth-lar re-establishes a pin, and hence only grappled, rather than pinned.

Sorry this is getting so rules-lawyery, but I'm not really seeing any other option open to Creen... :smallconfused:

edit:
Action is unchanged if Creen can't ready to shadow jaunt as Uth-Lar maintains his pin... Creen will have to hope that Uth-Lar faints from the damage of the previous round, and then shadow jaunt before the others react (they should be after uth-lar in init since they took advantage of creen's lowered ac.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-10, 10:36 AM
As you can see, I posed our question in the Simple RAW thread. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to go with what Curmudgeon was saying (despite my previous on-the-fly ruling for your swift action boost). Creen cannot initiate Shadow Jaunt. Please edit your post.

ghostaxe
2011-03-10, 11:14 AM
I don't think that's how I would rule, but I accept your judgement.

Action is unchanged however. Basically, Creen is still hoping Uth-lar goes unconscious (in which case they are no longer considered grappling, and no other goblins joined the grapple, so Creen can Shadow Jaunt).

If Uth-lar does not fall unconscious, Creen's action this round is wasted.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-10, 03:24 PM
Sorry that Creen had to go down this way; feel free to send me another character sheet whenever you're ready to continue. Alternatively, if you're attached to Creen, I have some ways that I could continue the story with him.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/aatdB7.bmp

The goblins continue their assault, thrilled that the tide of this battle has turned in their favor. Uth-Lar keeps you pinned with ease, and the last thing you hear is him shouting, ”Dig in, boys! But remember, I get dibs on his liver!”

Take 36 damage. You are dead. :smallfrown:

DM ONLY:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]

ghostaxe
2011-03-10, 06:10 PM
No worries, man. :smallsmile: Can't play D&D if you can't accept character deaths.

I think there were a few rules interpretations that differed between us that ultimately was the cause of Creen's death.. for example, I thought Creen could still Shadow Jaunt in a pin, which is why I did the Burning Blade and kick rather than Shadow Jaunt. Now that I know them, the next guy should be more successful :smallbiggrin:

Also, I was hoping that Creen had done enough damage to Uth-lar that he would have died this round when the delayed damage pool became real damage. BTW, are you ruling that the temp HP from Stone Power can apply to damage from the delayed damage pool? Creen was trying to be careful only to attack Uth-lar when he wasn't under stone power (i.e. right after Uth-lar grappled Creen), but I just realized that maybe the delayed damage pool damage can also be mitigated by temp HP in the subsequent round.

Also, I took a peek at one of your DM notes earlier accidentally, and wanted to point out, in retrospect, that Stone Power temp HP is limited to 2x BAB, so Uth-lar can only get 8 temp HP. Not that it mattered in Creen's case...

I'm working on finishing up Lecern's character sheet. Making a few changes now that I know grappling is more difficult to get around.

ghostaxe
2011-03-10, 11:29 PM
Lecern (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=280635) is just about ready to go. He's missing a backstory at the moment, but will be done tonight.

HP rolls:

[roll0] + [roll1] + [roll2] = 28

+8 HP from level 1, +2*7 CON bonus = 50 HP.

Shall we start a new thread, or continue here?

---

Backstory:

Lecern was running the hell away from Dennovar. There were few other options after he tried to filch the mayor's scepter in broad daylight. Not the best of ideas, considering he hadn't done any lifting since he was 16, and the mayor was always accompanied by a court wizard who could see invisible folks. Dumb idea, but Lecern lost a bar bet.

It was only through the darnedest of luck that he managed to escape in one piece. Heck, there's probably still an warrant out for his arrest for no less than 5000 gold pieces. Bounty hunters... oy, what a pain. He tried to be careful and not kill them, but there ain't no way he was going back to Dennovar, and well, the bounty hunters disagreed, and blood had to be spilled. The reward was probably at least 6000 gp now.

Lecern sighed. Maybe if he'll make it to the other side of the Wyrmsmoke mountains and start a new life in the port metropolis of Dreenal. It was outlaw city, so while he'd still have to fend off bounty hunters from Dennovar, no one will bat an eyelash if he killed his pursuers. But he really should quit making bar bets.

Yeah, sorry, this is a bit short. I'll elaborate with flashbacks later if Lecern survives the first encounter :smallamused:

ghostaxe
2011-03-11, 02:17 AM
Hrm. I just realized I made a dumb mistake building Lecern, because he needs to take Barbarian as his first level to take Heavy Armor Proficiency at lvl 1. Everything else works out, but hp would be slightly modified (Should have rolled an extra d8 rather than the 1d12.

Could I just keep my current HP, or do you want me to reroll?

OMG PONIES
2011-03-11, 09:59 AM
You can keep your HP as they are. Did you spend the 2 skill points to gain literacy? If not, Lecern can't read the spells in his spellbook. Also, please keep in mind your Arcane Spell Failure. Lastly, can you just type up a list of your maneuvers known and readied? I can't read the whole line on your sheet.

ghostaxe
2011-03-11, 10:19 AM
Barbarians who gain a level in any other class automatically gains literacy.

Maneuvers readied: burning blade, mountain hammer, shadow jaunt, emerald razor

Other maneuvers known: fire riposte, cloak of deception.

I'm aware of the 10% ASF and willing to put up with it for 1 level (next level will be in Spellsword, which is why I burned a feat on Heavy Armor Proficiency).

OMG PONIES
2011-03-11, 10:54 AM
Sounds good. We can continue in this thread. You ready?

ghostaxe
2011-03-11, 11:10 AM
Ready to go.

Lecern, due to personal reasons, is generally avoiding traveling directly on the main roads. He's traveling roughly parallel to the Dawn Way, and is generally Hiding and Moving Silently all the time. He lives off the land for food (autosucceed on Survival DC 10 check), and before he goes to sleep he takes off his armor for 1 round to cast Alarm (mental) (thus avoiding ASF), and then dons his armor to sleep.

Lecern travels at a steady pace, with spiked chain in one hand and a machete (sickle) in the other to help clear the foliage. He was about 1/3 of the way to Dreenal now, he reckoned, and straying farther away from civilization. Hopefully these darn bounty hunters won't follow him through the Witchwood and Wyrmsmoke mountains.

Lecern sighed again, "How did it get to this? Oh, right, that damn Neira and her brother."

It wasn't really their fault, of course, that Lecern was smitten by Neira under the influence, and wanted to prove himself to impress her. Well, maybe it was partially Jahn's fault for that asinine suggestion to steal the mayor's scepter. Ah, that's all behind him now.

Hide: [roll0]
MS: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]
Spot: [roll3]

OMG PONIES
2011-03-11, 12:13 PM
As you cut through the woods, you notice that they begin to thin out ahead. The rolling farmland begins a few feet in front of you, and continues for acres and acres until, you'd guess from your progress, it eventually leads to Brindol. The bounty hunters on your tail may have made it to the city by now, assuming that they travel via The Dawn Way. Of course they would; everyone but you seemed to be travelling on the Way.

At the edge of the closest clearing, you see a small figure--clearly a young girl hopping along the outskirts of her family's property. She looks to be about 7 or 8, and a small stuffed rabbit is hanging from her hand as she jumps along. While you attempt to sneak by through the forest, the dense undergrowth snags your ankle with a loud HISS. The girl stops in her tracks and looks in your general direction, equal parts excited and scared. "Mister Furry?" she asks, her eyes scanning the treeline for any signs of movement. "Is that you, Mister Furry? Did you find Papa?"

ghostaxe
2011-03-11, 01:03 PM
Lecern is still east of Brindol? Then I'll change the previous post to say about 1/6 of the way to Dreenal, which I'm imagining is off to the Northwest.

Lecern considers talking to the little girl, but then decides that he really can't afford to linger here.

He Shadow Jaunts a small distance (50') away, recovers his maneuver, and then travels slowly (double-moving at 1/2 speed) to maintain stealth. He course-correcting to steer clear of Brindol by traveling to the south of the city, mostly staying out of civilization's way.

Move Silently: [roll1]

Somehow, this scenario just seems to scream "It's a trap!" at me...

OMG PONIES
2011-03-11, 01:19 PM
Maybe we should get our bearings, referring to the map on pg 9 of the adventure. It was my assumption that you were leaving Dennovar, traveling west in the wilderness along The Dawn Way toward Dreenal (which I figured would be in The Westdeep). Because of that, I'd put Brindol approximately 1/3 of the way and Drellin's Ferry about 2/3 of the way. If I've got something wrong or you pictured yourself elsewhere, just give me a point of reference on the map.

Also, the scenario should have screamed "It's a sidequest/adventure hook!" No way I'd have a little girl attack you. I'm not that vicious. :smallamused:

ghostaxe
2011-03-11, 02:03 PM
Oh, I was imagining it to be a port northwest of the entire map, somewhere you'd get to after following the Old Dwarf Road west, and then another road north (because I expected to be starting somewhere near Drellin's Ferry). Dreenal being somewhere in Westdeep is also fine, as is starting near Brindol.

Haha... maybe it's just bad experiences from the past (Vol in Eberron is apparently also a 7 year old girl in appearance), or maybe it's too much Knights of the Dinner Table.

Yeah, Lecern is still a True Neutral character who's fleeing for his life right now. Probably not going to stop to help a little girl near a big city (although he might in other circumstances).

OMG PONIES
2011-03-11, 03:00 PM
No, no, I'd prefer to start you nearer to Drellin's Ferry. Sorry for any confusion I caused.

You trapse through the woods undetected, cutting a path through the underbrush with your machete. As you near the farmland surrounding Drellin's Ferry, two hawks dart down from above and perch on a branch directly in front of you. Before your very eyes, one takes the shape of a slightly elven male who studies you coldly. "Clearly, you must have a reason for carving a path of destruction through this forest," he says flatly. "State your purpose, traveler. Do you seek sanctuary?" His interrogation is matter-of-fact, but seems well-intentioned.

ghostaxe
2011-03-11, 05:46 PM
Lecern puts away his sickle, bows, and tries his best to be polite, "I apologize if I am trespassing, I had no idea these parts were tended for. My name is Lecern, and I simply seek safe passage through these woods to the city of Dreenal. I grew up in the wild, and felt it more comfortable and safe in the woods than on the road.

May I have your permission to pass through these parts? I will endeavor to be more careful in preserving the fauna and flora."

OMG PONIES
2011-03-11, 06:01 PM
The half elf smirks and bows slightly. "Apologies if I was too abrupt, traveler, but all lands are tended for. My name is Avarthel, and this is my friend Romulus," he says with a gesture towards the other hawk (still in bird form). "You have our permission to pass if you promise not to chop every branch in your path, but I'm afraid safe passage may not be possible beyond Drellin's Ferry. Things are afoot in the Wyrmsmokes, terrible things. Romulus and I have seen a force mounting, seen it with our very eyes. You won't be able to pass much beyond Drellin's Ferry without issue--even crossing the Elsir has proven difficult for some recently. I can get you safely to Drellin's Ferry to rest, but then you may want to consider turning back. The townsfolk refuse to heed my warning, and I fear that ruin may soon befall them...may soon befall us all."

ghostaxe
2011-03-12, 12:53 PM
'A massive army?' thinks Lecern. 'That's great! Once I get behind that army, none of these bounty hunters are going to catch up with me any more.'

Lecern pauses a moment before responding, "I thank you for your offer and concern, but I really must get to Dreenal. I would appreciate your company in travel to Drellin's Ferry, but my final destination remains to the west.

What forces are you speaking of? Bandit forces? Those who fight for a living rarely know how to navigate the land, so I think I may be able to evade them."

Lecern might need a little bit of an extra motivation to fight the Red Hand, perhaps in a way of a cute NPC girl. I think by default Lecern would still want to just avoid fighting (and especially returning to Brindol, where bounty hunters are still after him).

OMG PONIES
2011-03-12, 08:01 PM
The druid shakes his head. "Sorry, friend, but evading this army would be like evading the drops of rain in a deluge, or the flakes of snow in a blizzard. I'll take you safely to the ferry town; rest there a while. The people of Drellin's are kind, protective folk who can provide you warm bedding, square meals, and a degree of anonymity. Come," he says as he turns toward the north, "It's just a few minutes' walk."

We'll find some motivation for him in Drellin's Ferry, I'm hoping. Let me know if you need anything else, otherwise we can fast forward to arrival in town."

ghostaxe
2011-03-13, 01:38 AM
Lecern is trying to befriend these druids, for potential later contact/assistance, but nothing else. Feel free to forward to Drellin's Ferry.

"Avarthel, Romulus, I am very pleased to make both your acquaintances. If indeed this army threatens all of the Vale, then it is likely that we may see each other again. I don't like to brag, but I'm also quite capable of skinning a few orcs or ogres, as I'm sure the two of you are. Perhaps we should set up a method of contacting one another, in case of need, or when coordinated effort is needed?

Also, this force... Are you quite sure they indeed to come east to Drellin's Ferry, rather than elsewhere? Last I heard, Drellin's Ferry was far from a rich metropolus worth plundering.

Please lead on, we can continue discussions as we travel."

OMG PONIES
2011-03-14, 04:36 PM
Off in the distance, you see six stone pillars peeking over the current of a quiet river. It looks as though it may have once supported a bridge or a boathouse across the length of the river, but whatever building there was is long gone. The river cuts through what appears to be a busy small town; fires are burning in the windows of buildings on both sides of the water as the sun begins to set and the rain settles to a drizzle.

"If you need me again," Avarthel states, "tie a strand of string around the trunk of the closest oak. I'll meet you at the tree you mark at sundown that day. This is the ferry town; it might not be much, but it's the front gate from the Wyrmsmokes to the rest of the Vale. It's an easy and expected point of entry. I beg you, turn and go back or stay and fight, but do not proceed. Farewell."

"Hey, Furry!" one of the guards at the gatehouse shouts with a friendly wave as Avarthel turns into a badger and scurries away. The guard looks to you, slightly skeptical but still friendly. "Greetings, traveler," he says, "a friend of Mister Furry, are ya? What's your name and business in Drellin's?"

It is now just past dusk.

ghostaxe
2011-03-14, 05:42 PM
Lecern bows to his new friend and replies, "I much rather like the wild myself, and it would be a shame if some army tramples over it for their own political ends. I will see what I can do, and I expect that we will meet again. Stay healthy, my friend."

As the guard greets Lecern, our hero initially seems frightened, but then relaxes as he realizes that he has not been recognized. "A new friend of Avarthel, yes, but a friend nonetheless. I'm a traveler who's intended destination is Dreenal, but I've been told that passage is not convenient at the moment. Is there someone around here who could possibly provide a map of the wilderness to the west? Also, I suppose I will need a room for the night, as it's past time for travel."

OMG PONIES
2011-03-14, 06:22 PM
The guard smiles and nods. "Oh, sure. Horizon Sails Cartographer is the fourth shop on the right once you're through the gate. We've a few inns in town, depending on your price. Oh, and be sure to report any goblinoids or suspicious activity to a guardsman. Enjoy your stay.". He gestures to an unseen companion, and the gate swings open.

ghostaxe
2011-03-14, 07:06 PM
Lecern thanks the guards, and goes straight for the map store recommended by the guard. He's looking for a good map that shows the off-road trails through Witchwood mountain. He's willing to buy it if it's less than 20gp, otherwise he'll try to memorize as much as he can before hmming and hawing out of the place.

He'll find a room for the night next, somewhere relatively cheap, but before he goes to sleep, Lecern heads to the nearest bar and starts drinking.

'Just this one last time,' thinks Lecern to himself, 'Just two glasses.. maybe three. What's the harm?'

OMG PONIES
2011-03-16, 10:36 AM
Sorry for the delay—the zombie game was a lot of front-end work, but I think it’ll be more manageable now that I’ve created an easily edible map. Excel is my friend once again!

You find a decent map detailing everything about the Witchwood, from the paths through the forest to the trails up the mountain. However, the parts that enter the Wyrmsmokes have a crude note scrawled on it: ”New construction possible. Research in progress. –Hans” It is on sale for 15 gp.

After leaving Horizon Sails, you make your way to the Green Apple, tempted by a sign detailing their cheap drink specials. The owner of the tiny place offers you a room upstairs for the night, at the price of 7 sp for a room and an open bar. As you talk to yourself, the owner sputters behind the bar and shakes her head. ”The harm is what it did to my poor Truckley, rest his soul. First, it makes you mean. Then, it makes you tired. Next, it makes you fat. Final and worst of all, it makes you dead. That’s the harm, dear.” She clucks her tongue and goes back to wiping out mugs.

As you down your first mug of ale, two individuals walk in and sit at the stools on either side of you. The one is a fiery redheaded woman clad in light armor, who looks like she should be dancing instead of fighting. The other is a balding, lean man who carries an air of authority. It is he who addresses you:

”So, you bought a map of the Witchwood at Horizon Sails, I hear? Norro Wiston, town speaker,” he says and extends his hand for a shake. ”Let me cut to the chase; we need aid keeping the Dawn Way passable west of here, and Avarthel tells me you’re headed that way. Would you be willing to help our town?”

The woman on your left says nothing, but looks at your with a coy smile.

ghostaxe
2011-03-17, 12:03 AM
No worries. I was also pretty busy today; had to give an important presentation. I'll update the other game tomorrow.

Lecern was geniunely quite pleased to have found the map. Though the Wyrmsmoke Mountain details were a bit spotty, he could travel around the long way if necessary. Something like a camping trip.

As he sits down and starts drinking, he couldn't help but marvel a bit. For a small town, a permanently invisible guard was more than he expected. And if they had that much in the way of fancy toys, it seemed unlikely that some goblins would pose a threat.

His thoughts were cut off short by the arrival of Norro and the babe-warrior. As Lecern absent-mindedly shakes Norro's hand and listens to the town elder's story, his eyes remain transfixed on the girl.

Da-yamn. Drellin's Ferry just keeps on impressing. Lecern didn't generally like the warrior-cosplaying women, but on her it was seriously cute. It was all Lecern could do to keep from drooling.

After a few seconds' pause, Lecern suddenly realized that Norro had finished speaking and was awaiting a response. Lecern quickly replayed in his brain the segment his subconscious had recorded, and replied.

"That's right, I did buy a map becuase I'm looking to get across, to Dreenal. I suppose I could help if the task isn't too time consuming.

Oh! But where are my manners!? My name is Lecern. And what might yours be, pretty miss? By the way, you look quite like my second girlfriend..."

OMG PONIES
2011-03-18, 06:46 AM
The woman smiles and reaches her hand out to you delicately. "My name's Soranna," she says, "Your name is so interesting; where does it orginate?"

Norro puts his hands on his stomach and can't help but laugh. "Oh, Captain Soranna, don't play shy little townie girl. It doesn't suit you." The redhead's eyes ignite with a hint of fury. She stands from her stool and punches Wiston in the shoulder, a blow that sends him reeling to the floor. She sighs and extends a hand to help the man back up. "Damn it, speaker," she says strongly, "can't a woman just talk to a man?" She rolls her eyes and looks back to you with another light smile. "As this blabbermouth let on, I'm the captain of the town guard. If you need anything in the way of arms or armor, let me know and I can either obtain or commission it for you."

Feel free to ask Soranna for any magical arms or armor up to 2,500 gp.

ghostaxe
2011-03-18, 02:50 PM
Oh, by the way! I've been reading Weapons of Legacy, and was thinking about doing a legacy founding. Here's what I had in mind:

Item of Legacy:

Scout's Headband (or Ring of Counterspells)

Use table 4-7 (1500 least ritual, 11500 lesser ritual, 39000 greater ritual)

Penalties:
5: -
6: -2 HP, lose 1st level spell slot
7: -2 HP
8: -1 attack, 2nd level spell slot
9: -2 HP
10: 3rd level spell slot
11: -
12: 4th level spell slot
13: -2 HP
14: 5th level spell slot
15: -2 HP
16: 6th level spell slot
17: -
18: 7th level spell slot
19: -2 HP
20: 8th level spell slot

Benefits:

5: Lesser Metamagic (Extend Spell, up to 3rd level spells, 3/day)
6: -
7: -
8: Melf's Acid Arrow (at will, CL 10th; long range (800 ft), 2d4 damage for 4 rounds)
9: Comprehend Languages (continuous)
10: +5 Tumble

11: Protection from Arrows (continuous)
12: Cunning (never flat-footed)
13: Major Intelligent Legacy (18 INT, 18 WIS, 10 CHA, blindsense 120', darkvision 120')
14: -
15: -
16: Evasion

18: Moment of Prescience (+20 insight to 1 roll)
19: -
20: Swift Heal Self (heal 170 damage + effects)

Would you be willing to allow this?

Lecern watches the unfolding events with a mix of surprise, horror, and fascination. Well, Soranna is still a babe, firebrand or not. And he is pretty sure he hadn't drunk enough to let beer goggles compromise his visual acuity. But head of the town guard, eh? That would make her a little more difficult to seduce, not that Lecern ever had any luck seducing women.

Lecern perked up slightly when Soranna smiled at him again, but an instant later he mentally deflated. She was probably just leading him on again, just like all the others. She just wanted to sweet-talk him into helping the town deal with the goblin problem. Well, that he probably could help with, even though it probably didn't really improve his chances with Soranna. Oh well. He was used to being used like that by women; it's almost something like a habit by now.

"Ah... pleased to make your acquaintance, Captain Soranna," replied Lecern a bit stiffly and overly formally. "Certainly, I can try to help you with your road problem. But after that, I really need to get to Dreenal, so I apologize in advance that I will probably not be able to help if the situation recurs. I'll go look into the problem first thing tomorrow morning."

I assume you meant that she has the connections to let me buy the item, rather than her providing an item to me for free?

OMG PONIES
2011-03-18, 03:13 PM
Hmm, I've never tinkered with Weapons of Legacy at all; give me some time to review how they work and compare this one to others in the book, then we'll see about it. I'll start researching it next week, once the recent Iron Chef competition ends. I still need to get my submission done for that.

Also, Soranna is offering you free equipment. I figured it would be a good way to give Lecern a little more reason to help. Plus, you had her give me goodies, so I felt like I had to be nice too...

Soranna attempts to curtsy--an awkward affair for a woman in armor, even studded leather. "Charmed, myself," she says. "Your plans are your own; we just ask that you clear the road on your way to Dreenal. A word of warning? The hobbos out that way have shown some discipline, as if they've been conscripted into a fledgling army of sorts. Don't underestimate them. A word of advice? If you're trapsing through the Witchwood, you'd do well to meet up with Jorr. Old member of my troop, lives out that way." She pulls a stick of charcoal from her poach and reaches over to your map, marking a faint X. "You can hang left from the Witch Trail at the first big crossing, or you can take the Way about nine miles in. You'll find a trail on your right that leads to his door. A word of encouragement? If you ever find yourself back in Drellin's, drinks are on me." She says with a wink, "Good luck soldier."

Let me know any other actions you plan on taking for the night. Whenever you're ready, you can head out for the Witchwood in the morning, or you can wait until evening if you need Soranna to provide any arms or armor.

ghostaxe
2011-03-18, 03:48 PM
Yeah, it's quite a bit stronger than the typical items given in the book, but the typical items suck so bad no one in their right mind would take them. I was following the rules at the end of the book for creating your own legacy item, we can work out details if there's anything in particular you don't like.

Lecern is planning on going Spellsword for 1 level, then all 5 levels of Abjurant Champion, then 7 levels of Unseen Seer for 9th level spells (CL 17, BAB 15). So the spell slot losses will be there when he gets to those levels.

Lecern bears a slightly pained look as he recalls similar past events. If he comes back in a couple days to report his success, Soranna will buy him a beer, thank him profusely, say how he's a great person and a great friend of hers, and how he'll make a good husband some day... and then proceed to ignore him until she needs another favor. Women. Those warforged have it easy.

"Thanks for the encouragement," Lecern forces a little smile on his mouth. "It's just a few goblins, it'll be OK. I'll take care of that problem for you. Good night, and thank you for your visit." Lecern then turns a bit sullenly back to the bar and drinks another 2 drinks, waiting for Soranna and Norro to leave, before heading up to his room.

The owner of Horizon Sails had it right. He would have been better off just to go to bed right away, and leave the next morning. All drinking did tonight was give him another chore and another heartache. He really should quit.

Lecern sets out at dawn the next morning. He keeps himself well-hidden in the trees near the road as he follows the Dawn Way westward. He didn't need any doddering old man for a guide, he just wanted to get to finish the job ASAP, and then get to Dreenal.

Hey, I gotta roleplay that 9 WIS and 8 CHA somehow.

Hide: [roll2]
Move Silently: [roll3]

OMG PONIES
2011-03-21, 06:57 PM
Sorry, submitting my Iron Chef build occupied most of my day after a busy weekend. Proper update coming tomorrow.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-22, 02:02 PM
As you follow the Way, you notice that yesterday’s rain has given way to a warm, sunny day, perfect for forging a path through the woods. Every few miles, you see a hawk circling overhead, but you’re unsure whether Avarthel is keeping an eye out for you or it’s just another bird of the wild. Eventually, you come to a clearing. The forest gives way to a fast-moving stream, its waters clearly rising above its normal banks. A sturdy, well-worn causeway spans the width of the stream, offering passage over its crooked planks. The musty stench of waterlogged wilderness is overwhelmed only by the stench of death coming from a wagon that sits alone along the bank of the stream, with one wheel caught in the muck.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/causeway.bmp

The off-white object is the wagon. The green squares represent normal terrain. The brown squares represent the causeway, crossable at normal speed, but it takes a DC10 balance check to run or charge). The light blue squares are difficult terrain, whereas the green-blue squares along the water are “doubly difficult” terrain. Each of those squares costs 4 squares of movement, and tumbling in them is impossible. The dark blue stripe across the map represents water with a depth of 15 feet, and the recent storm means the current is fast and heavy.

ghostaxe
2011-03-22, 02:22 PM
Lecern looks around, and wonders briefly if this could be a trap set up by the goblins. The wagon, in particular, seemed like perhaps it was harboring ambushers. With spiked chain in hand, he casts Detect Magic, and looks around him, trying to sense any magical auras. Chances all, attackers without magic would have no chance against him, and he would not need to be concerned.

Casted Detect Magic, and scanning the entire area. Cautiously moving forward on the causeway if nothing appears.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-22, 02:51 PM
You don’t sense any magic coming from the wagon, or anywhere on the somewhat barren landscape. However, you hear the faint gurgling sound of something lurking beneath the rushing current, swimming back and forth beneath the causeway. With the sound of the stream, it’s hard to make out exactly what it is, or whether you may have just imagined it.

ghostaxe
2011-03-22, 03:04 PM
Lecern continues moving cautiously while scanning the area with Detect Magic, to position K16. He then Shadow Jaunts to K6. He then scans the new area, and continues moving cautiously forward, to K1.

He recovers Shadow Jaunt and continues traveling afterwards.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-22, 03:56 PM
http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/causeway1.bmp

After you teleport across the black water, you see a large figure emerge from the water with a splash—what you heard was no figment of your imagination. A horrible, serpentine creature emerges, followed by another, and another, and another…six separate snakelike heads emerge from the water, all attached to the same body. It lumbers up onto the causeway and slithers over to your position, its flippers slapping loudly on the crooked planks. Some of its heads look around to see if you are travelling with company, but a few of the creature’s heads gnash their teeth and stare at you.

Your move to K16 and subsequent Shadow Jaunt allow the creature a round of actions, which permits it to climb onto the causeway (a move action) followed by another move to close with you. This takes place before you recover Shadow Jaunt, so feel free to edit your actions. You are in initiative, but your cautious actions mean that you are able to act first.

ghostaxe
2011-03-22, 04:07 PM
Shouldn't Lecern have had an AoO against the hydra as it moves to within 5 feet with his spiked chain? He has Combat Reflexes, so he can take AoO even when flat-footed.

If yes:
Damage: [roll1] +[roll2] (electric)

EDIT: Woops, I mean, Lecern was supposed to have Combat Reflexes. Hrm, how did that disappear from my build? Oh, right, because of the stupid Heavy Armor Proficiency, because I wanted a level of Spellsword.

Hrm, Combat Reflexes is pretty central to a Spiked Chain build, so I think I want to replace Shape Soulmeld with Combat Reflexes, is that OK?

Lecern briefly mentally debates whether to fight the monster or not. There wasn't really any need to, although honing his skills might be nice. But he might need his spells for later, if the hobgoblins actually prove to be problematic. Finally, he decides he'll try to quickly finish off the monster, and if it doesn't work, he'll get out.

Lecern initiates Burning Blade boost, then Emerald Razor and full power attack on the Hydra:

Attack: [roll3] (vs touch AC)
Damage: [roll4] + [roll5] (elec) + [roll6] (fire)

Lecern tumbles back 20' to K2 after delivering his attack (tumble Autosucceeds).

Edit: Child of Shadow is now active.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-22, 04:49 PM
Yes, you’re entitled to an AoO. Stupid me not thinking about your reach (and the fact that the creature has reach of its own as well.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/causeway2.bmp

The creature roars under your assault, but manages to stay on its feet. It lumbers toward you as its wounds begin to stitch themselves together, and one of its many heads furiously lashes out at you. However, your shadowy concealment protects you from its fangs.

DM ONLY:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

ghostaxe
2011-03-22, 05:35 PM
Lecern realizes that he has the tactical upper hand on land, and decides to continue the fight. He initiates a Mountain Hammer vs. the Hydra.

Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] (elec) + [roll3] (Mountain Hammer).

He then tumbles back 25' to (K, -3). Autosucceed on Tumble. Child of Shadow active.

ghostaxe
2011-03-22, 05:37 PM
Hrm. I guess I'll use an Action Point.

+[roll0] (to attack roll).

EDIT: These things always roll 1 for me :smallfurious: Ah, I guess I'll leave the hydra for the goblins to kill then.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-23, 10:10 AM
On this map, the dark brown or light green squares represent normal terrain. The thick green squares represent the forest—trees with heavy undergrowth, imposing a +5 to the DC of Tumble checks and a cost of 4 squares to move into. However, they provide 30% concealment. The light brown object is a fallen tree, and will require a Climb or Jump check (DC 20 for either) to move past.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/causeway3.bmp

The creature does not relent in its pursuit of you; it storms down the path, one of its heads biting futilely at your heels while the others lick its wounds. Ahead, the path to the north is blocked by a fallen tree. The heads of the creature notice the obstruction and let out a cruel chitter, a sound that chills your bones and sounds a little too much like laughter.

DM ONLY:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

ghostaxe
2011-03-23, 11:54 AM
I can still evade the hydra if I use Expeditious Retreat, but I suppose I can kill the stupid hydra instead so I won't need to deal with this on my return trip. The only question is how to minimize resource consumption. Basically, I think I need to hit it at least twice per round to beat its fast healing (or get lucky with power attacks).

Lecern tunbles to K,17 and casts Enlarge Person on himself.

Arcane spell failure, [roll0], >10 = success.

Lecern is now large, has 20' range with his spiked chain, and has 21 AC. Child of Shadow active.

ghostaxe
2011-03-23, 12:10 PM
AoO if it moves: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

ghostaxe
2011-03-23, 12:24 PM
Sigh, I guess another action point.
[roll0]

EDIT: a 2. Typically, really, of my Action Points...

OMG PONIES
2011-03-23, 12:44 PM
Since the creature is taking a 5-foot step, you are not entitled to an AoO. Feel free to keep your action point.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/causeway4.bmp

The creature is not scared back, even as you double in size. Instead, it takes a single step forward before all six of its heads attack you. However, it seems that you are under divine protection, since none of the heads even come close to you.

DM ONLY:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]

ghostaxe
2011-03-23, 12:52 PM
Lecern tumbles back to the corner of K-L 15-16 (10 feet) so that the hydra has to actually move before attacking, then attack (power attack 2):

Tumble: [roll0]

Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] (oops, +4 for power attack = 31)

Potential AoO if Hydra moves next round:

Damage: [roll4] (oops, +4 for power attack = 30)

Child of Shadow active.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-23, 01:13 PM
The creature is readying an action.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/causeway5.bmp

The creature steps forward, but seems to be driven back somewhat by your enlarged chain. Its heads chomp violently at the air, and it seems to be awaiting an action on your part. Though it is a creature of instinct, it seems to know that you are too powerful an opponent for it to simply charge. Its wounds continue to mend themselves--in fact, the healing occurs at a rate faster than any you've ever seen short of magic.

ghostaxe
2011-03-23, 01:17 PM
So, did my attack last round hit?

EDIT: Actually, I'm a bit confused. From the map, it looks like the hydra is 20' away at the beginning of the round. If that's the case, Lecern doesn't move at all. Basically, he's keeping a distance of exactly 20' away from the hydra.

Lecern moves to L-M 15-16 (into the undergrowth, so hydra is exactly 20' away) and attacks the hydra once more (Power attack 2):

AoO if Hydra moves next round:

edit: 30% concealment from undergrowth.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-23, 02:19 PM
Your attack last round did hit. The creature was 20 feet from you at the end of your movement, but closed to a distance of 15 ft via a 5-foot step. This round, the creature will take yet another 5-foot step and ready another action, so it is now 15 feet away from you. I've changed the shapes to squares, which should make distances easier to figure.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/causeway6.bmp

The creature lumbers closer still, studying you intently as you swing your chain at it. It gnashes its many teeth, but does nothing but draw closer to you.

ghostaxe
2011-03-23, 03:08 PM
Lecern shrugs and decides to continue; the accumulated damage must be hurting the hydra, even with its improved healing mechanism.

Move to M-N 14-15. Attack with Power Attack 2.

attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

AoO if hydra moves next round:

attack: [roll2]
damage: [roll3]

ghostaxe
2011-03-23, 03:09 PM
Woo-hoo! Crit threat!

Confirm: [roll0]

edit: Yes! Fort save DC 15 or die of massive damage. If it even survives that 52 damage.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-24, 10:43 AM
[roll0] AFAIK, bonus damage dice (like your +1d6 electricity) are not multiplied on a critical hit, though flat bonus damage (like your +12) is.

Your mighty chain wraps around the base of the hydra’s six necks where they connect with the body, spiraling around itself. The spikes of your weapon dig into the creature’s slimy flesh and hold their position, not relenting despite the monster’s struggle. Its heads begin to turn a pale bluish-green, and they futilely turn on themselves to bite at the chain choking the beast. It shatters a few teeth as it struggles in vain before it finally crumples beneath the weight of your weapon.

Congratulations! Award yourself 1,400 XP. In retrospect, I missed something important about the hydra:
Hydras can attack with all their heads at no penalty, even if they move or charge during the round. D’oh. Oh well, it seemed like a written-in random encounter anyway.

ghostaxe
2011-03-24, 01:14 PM
Lecern strikes the Hydra a couple more times, just to make sure it's really dead and won't be rising any time soon. When the hydra's been more or less turned into magical beast steak cubes, Lecern shrugs and decides to start a fire, using the readily available undergrowth as tinder. He'd always wondered what hydra tasted like, and it was time for lunch anyway.

Survival (to start a fire and cook the hydra): [roll0]

After his meal, if Lecern decides that the flavor and texture of the meat isn't bad (despite his shoddy cooking skills), he will wrap a few more pieces of the fresh meat (maybe 10 pounds?) in paper and put it away in his Haversack. While he wouldn't starve off the land, fresh meat is always nice.

Lecern then recovers all his manuevers and carefully searches around the causeway for any treasure the hydra may have accumulated over the years. Search take 20 = 23.

Finally, Lecern repeatedly uses Mountain Hammer on the fallen tree blocking the road until it's cleared. Lecern continues traveling in his usual fashion.

Sorry for the slow response on the other game... you're about to have a Town Hall meeting mini-game, and I need to stat out a few more NPCs.

Edit:

Hrm, yeah, hydras are pretty nasty for solo adventurers, because the sunder tactic really doesn't work at all, and the fast healing makes it that you really need to have huge damage output.

They're pretty slow though, so I was hoping to avoid the encounter all together, rather than waste resources. Only using one 1st level spell isn't bad though.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-25, 01:58 PM
The meat of the hydra is rubbery and tough to chew, as it seems to reform its shape after every bite. It tastes so heavily of salt that you are tempted to drink from the blackened stream itself just to quench your thirst. However, you figure that given the hydra’s regenerative powers and the saltiness of its meat, a small amount will not only preserve itself for a while, but will also grow back if consumed at a moderate rate.

Take one pound of hydra meat. Because of the abilities listed above, this one pound will keep you fed assuming that you’re the only one eating it. You can feel free to take more if you want—one pound will keep a person perpetually fed, but don’t count on it staving off sieges anytime soon. It’s so salty that anyone who eats it consumes water at an exponentially greater rate. They’ll stay fed, but they’ll still run out of water just as quickly and possible dehydrate.

You don’t find any treasure on the causeway, but as you take a few minutes to scour the area, you remember the wagon back by the water. Treading carefully along the boggy terrain, you find that there are a few corpses in the wagon, one of which is still wearing a +1 mithral breastplate. You also find a crude note scrawled on a scrap of parchment and stuck to the wall of the wagon with an adamantine dagger. It reads: ”Wretched seabeast attacked us on the causeway, drove us back and into the bog. It seems to have gone downstream, so I’ll be continuing on foot from here. –Hans”

You chop a passage through the trunk with ease and continue up the Dawn Way toward Skull Gorge. However, something on your map catches your eye. Less than a mile ahead, a building is marked on your map and labeled: Vrath’s Keep (treasure?). The straight spires of the tower jut up over the tree line, and you can follow them down through the trees to see that the Keep sits on a small rocky hillock. The parts you can see seem to be in an ancient state of disrepair, with vines climbing the walls and twining between loose or missing stones.

A moss-covered boulder at the side of the road you’re following marks a footpath that looks like it leads up to the keep. From the tracks in the muddy soil, you can tell that numerous humanoid creatures have used this path recently, and that they were roughly your size*. Along with their footprints, you see quadruped tracks—wolves, maybe? They travel the same path as the humanoid prints, but they are much larger.

*Your normal size, not enlarged.

It’s now late afternoon on day 2, just before dusk. Sorry for the wall of text.

ghostaxe
2011-03-25, 03:41 PM
Thanks! Free Everlasting Rations? I'll take as many as I can fit! (Well, let's say 40 pounds). The Haversack's nowhere near full yet, I can always chop up and discard some later.

I guess there was too much wood/metal on the wagon to block the detect magic for the +1 mithral breastplate earlier?

Lecern is clearly impressed with the interesting properties of the meat he's digesting, and decides to sample a few bits from each area (head, neck, legs, side, ribs, etc) in order to find the most savory portions. He ends up taking 40 pounds of hydra meat... it was far more than he'll ever need, but there's might be rich aristocrats who'll pay a pretty copper for magical beast dishes, even if Lecern found the meat too be not quite as tasty as normal chicken.

Lecern is also ecstatic to find the adamantine dagger. He'd always wanted an adamantine spiked chain, but had never been able to find any starmetal. When he gets to Dreenal, he'll have a smith melt down the dagger for the adamantine and reforge it onto his spiked chain.

'Treasure, eh? I suppose I could always use a bit more bling. Women like a man who can provide for them. If ever I accumulate enough wealth for living two lives of luxury, and find a cute girl who's willing to marry me, I might just retire from this whole adventuring business. Fat chance on the girl though.' Lecern sighs.

Lecern follows the trail of footprints toward Vraath Keep, staying away from the main road (moving stealthily) and being vigilant for ambushers.

Move Silently: [roll3]

ghostaxe
2011-03-25, 09:46 PM
BTW, I'm still interested in an Item of Legacy. I decided to base it on the Spiked Chain, since most of the examples are weapons, and making it take up the head slot is a little too munchkinny.

Spellspike, +1 Spiked Chain

Killing Zone: You must prove your mastery of the Spellspike by striking at least 5 different opponents in one round, or killing at least 3 different opponents in one round with the Spellspike. Subsequently, you must spend 1500 gp (as well as 500xp) on costly magical reagents to unlock the Spellspike's power, and sacrifice an adamantine weapon to coat the Spellspike's surface. Feat granted: Least Legacy (Spellspike)

Born of Battle: You must prove your ability to fight an endless mass of opponents on the battlefield. You must kill at least 50 opponents in the course of a 24-hour period. Subsequently, you must spend 11500 gp (as well as 1100xp) on costly magical reagents to further unlock the Spellspike's power. Feat granted: Lesser Legacy (Spellspike).

Combat Exemplar: You must prove your ability to fight a wide variety of foes. You must kill or destroy 3 monsters of at least your HD in a 1 on 1 combat: an undead, a construct, and another monster type of your choosing. You must then spend 39000 gp (as well as 1700xp) to unlock the rest of the Spellspike's power. Feat granted: Greater Legacy (Spellspike).

Note: At lvl 15, the Spellspike becomes a sentient weapon. It has TN alignment, and seeks for its wielder to achieve lasting fame through combat and magical prowess. The Spellspike disdains weakness and cowardice, and will attempt to influence its wielder to action if the wielder attempts to resolve conflicts diplomatically.

Penalties:
5: -
6: -2 HP, lose 1st level spell slot
7: -2 HP
8: -1 attack, 2nd level spell slot
9: -2 HP
10: 3rd level spell slot

11: -
12: 4th level spell slot
13: -2 HP
14: 5th level spell slot
15: -2 HP
16: 6th level spell slot

18: 7th level spell slot
19: -2 HP
20: 8th level spell slot

Benefits:
5: Lesser Metamagic Extend
6: -
7: -
8: Acid Arrow (at will)
9: Enlarge Person, Self (1 / day)
10: +5 Tumble

11: Cunning (never flat-footed)
12: -
13: +1 Wounding Adamantine Spiked Chain
14: Protection from Arrows (continuous)
15: Major Intelligent Legacy (18 INT, 18 WIS, 10 CHA, blindsense 120', darkvision 120')
16: Metamagic Silent

18: -
19: +4 Wounding Undead-bane Construct-bane Adamantine Spiked Chain
20: Heal Self (heal 150 damage + effects)

OMG PONIES
2011-03-28, 05:15 PM
Yeah, the walls of the wagon were enough to block line of effect. It’s just as well—the hydra was lurking in the water and you’d have been fighting on his terms. On this map, the gray areas cannot be seen by you, though the brown area represents the courtyard. The gray objects are boulders, which provide cover. The white objects are giant skeletons, whereas the white squares are doors. Right now, you are outside the keep, somewhere around Z7.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/vrath.bmp

You move up to the keep with ease, keeping to the undergrowth along the path. When you get there, you realize that the keep’s gatehouse has seen better days. The watchtowers to either side have partially collapsed, and several large boulders lie strewn about. The decayed remains of two sets of large wooden gates lie in a heap on the ground. At the base of the tower on the right, you see the skeletal remains of a long-dead giant, still clutching his warclub. Off to the east, a small wooden shack sits in disrepair near a patch of weeds that might have once been a fine garden. You don’t see a living thing in sight besides the grass.

Keep in mind the XP costs for Legacy Rituals. Also, you can keep it in there, but Acid Arrow doesn’t seem like it fits the overall personality of the weapon. Man, legacy items are actually pretty sweet, and embody a lot of what I’m not seeing in D&D—customized items with a personal history. I’m tempted to drum up one for Milo, making his ring into an item of legacy—“Mizpah.” What do you think? I’ll drum up a table of the penalties/benefits.

ghostaxe
2011-03-28, 06:05 PM
Lecern waits from his cover for a while (~10 to 20 minutes), trying to see if there are any signs of activity from inside the keep.

Yeah, XP costs are fine. Hrm, I actually really want Acid Arrow though, because Lecern prohibited Evocation, so he has no real magic way of doing damage at a range. The Acid Arrow goes a long way to mitigating that. Fluff-wise, I was thinking that it's the weapon's ability to hunt down cowards who flee from Melee combat. "The Spellspike whispers 'No Escape!' as it sends out bolts of acid at fleeing combatants."

Milo's ring is already... "special" in another way that you don't know about yet, so I'd actually prefer if you pick a different item for a Legacy. But I'm supportive of the general concept of an Item of Legacy for you too; go ahead and draft up a table of benefits and penalties.

If Lecern still doesn't hear or spot anything from inside the keep, he's going to move stealthily to N21, then to T21, then to T16, then to U16, then to U13, and then peek into the courtyard. He's careful to peek around every corner before moving. Movement stops as soon as he sees anyone (but hopefully they don't see him).

OMG PONIES
2011-03-29, 01:02 PM
Lecern would be familiar with the story of Vrath Keep, long regarded as an old wives’ tale used for scaring children away from excessive displays of hubris. Feel free to brush up on the lore on page 24 of the adventure.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/vrath1.bmp

You see no signs of motion into or out of the keep as you perch in the wilderness. Creeping around the keep, you still don’t see or hear anything that would indicate the presence of any living things. You begin to wonder if you misjudged the age of the tracks you saw previously, since it looks as though nobody has been here since the keep was abandoned in death by Amery Vrath many years ago.

This courtyard of hard-packed earth has an eerie aura of desolation; even the air here seems long-dead. Jagged boulders embedded in the ground seem to have been hurled into the courtyard, perhaps by the giants whose bodies litter the land. Many of the walls bear large dents and cracks where the boulders once struck. Around one of the skeletons, you see a ring of arcane inscriptions as if somebody had been trying to cast some sort of ritual over the corpse recently. Looking around, you see three doors that lead into various buildings within the keep, as well as two doors that lead into the ruined watchtowers. The building to the southwest leads into the base of the tallest tower.

Nice, that’s a cool way to flavor the acid arrow ability. I like it. Also, I’m pretty pumped that Milo’s ring is somehow special. I’m not too sure if I can think of another item to become a legacy item, though.

ghostaxe
2011-03-29, 01:23 PM
How about your Gloves of Eldritch Admixture? That's the closest thing you have to an offensive item, and you can put +DEX onto them.

For this game: Are all of the visible doors closed, or are some of them open? Next action depends on response.

ghostaxe
2011-03-29, 01:41 PM
If there are no visible open doors:

Lecern takes a small rock from the ground and throws it at the closer door of the stable, and then ducks behind his cover again, waiting to see if there are any responses.

If there is a visible open (even just slightly ajar) door:

Lecern carefully walks over to the open door and peeks inside.

Listen: [roll3]
Spot: [roll4]
Hide: [roll5]
Move Silently: [roll6]

OMG PONIES
2011-03-29, 03:40 PM
All of the visible doors are closed.

Your rock hits the door of what looks like a stable with a loud CLICK. A few seconds go by without a response, but a disgruntled goblin appears moments later. He is riding an equally unhappy-looking worg, and he lamely cajoles the animal to move forward. The goblin raises a hand to his brow, looking halfheartedly around the courtyard. He calls back over his shoulder: ” Niets hier. Een andere ronde van stickbeetle?”

Goblin speakers only:
”Nothing here. Another round of stickbeetle?”

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/vrath2_0.bmp

As the goblin turns back toward the stables, the worg begins to sniff the air rapidly. It turns toward the main gate and begins barking like mad. The goblin on its back simply sighs back toward the stables, “Het kijkt als geuren Henrick een andere vos. Ik zal het controleren.”

Goblin speakers only:
”It looks like Henrick smells another fox. I'll check it out.”

ghostaxe
2011-03-29, 03:58 PM
Lecern quickly realizes that the worg's Scent ability is tracking him down. He Shadow jaunts 50' to U23, and then recovers the maneuver a small distance away, readies Fire Riposte in place of Mountain Hammer, and begins plotting.

'Aha! Just as I thought, there are goblins here. Let's see, there is a goblin worg rider, but probably others as well... I saw quite a few tracks back there. I might be able to take them all down if they're melee, but if a bunch of archers or casters could be a problem.

I could go Invisible, but the trick is how to kill them one at a time, rather than having to fight them all. Darn, I should have bought asked for some Oils of Silence from Soranna.

Oh, I know. I can fight an attrition battle; run away with Expeditious Retreat after killing a few of them, and return a little while later. Should still kill the archers and casters first though.' Lecern checks his stock. 4 potions of Expeditious Retreat. Should be enough.

Lecern waits until the worg rider and worg are back in the stables, and then begins moving.

Round 1: Lecern casts Expeditious Retreat on himself, and moves silently from U12 to Q10 (half speed so no penalty to Move Silently), while drawing his Wand of Invisibility.
Arcane Spell Failure: [roll0] >10 = success
Hide: [roll1]
Move Silently: [roll2]

ghostaxe
2011-03-29, 04:00 PM
Round 2:
Lecern zaps his Wand of Invisibility, and pushes open the door to North Tower.

Round 3:
Lecern moves up the stairs of the tower, to see if there are any foes in there.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-29, 04:35 PM
The worg loses your scent on the wind, and the goblin rides back into the door from whence it came. As you creep back into the keep, it looks and feels just as dead as it did upon first glance. The door of the tower swings open easily, as it’s barely on its hinges any longer. The north tower holds nothing of interest, unless you fancy yourself a rock collector. Through the holes in the tower, you can see the remains of the giant you saw upon arrival at the keep.

ghostaxe
2011-03-29, 04:42 PM
Round 4: Lecern moves down the tower and then to Q13, and then puts away his wand of Invisibility.

Round 5: Lecern opens the door and moves up the tower to check for enemies, and then moves down the tower and to the door to the South-eastern room

Round 6: Lecern opens the door and looks inside, moving to J13 if that room is likewise empty.

Child of Shadow active.
Invisibility good until Round 32.
Expeditious Retreat until Round 41.

Spiked chain held in both hands.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-30, 05:07 PM
Sorry for the delay—busy day at work, plus meetings and a report due. Updated this game and Metro Necro, but don’t expect an update in Birth of a Nation until tomorrow.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/vrath3.bmp

From your position in the South Tower, you can see a hole in the roof of the southeastern building. Behind the hole all sits in shadow, though you eye catches the glint of something metallic. When you descend and enter the building, you find an odd sight. All of the furniture in this building has been either broken or removed, and a large nest of branches, bones, carcasses, and long spikes has been built in one corner of the room. In various parts of the nest, you see various pieces of gold and jewelry stuck in among the trash. Atop the nest sits a large manticore, and it growls at you in a deep, guttural Common: ”My room. I smell you, soldier. You leave, talk to Koth. Go now.”

ghostaxe
2011-03-30, 06:33 PM
'A zarking manticore? Why is this whole place filled with smellers!?'

Lecern decides he needs to take out the monster now, otherwise he'd have to use one of his precious scrolls of Fly later.

Round 7: Lecern backs up to R13 and casts Shield.
ACF: [roll0]

If successful,
Round 8: Use Burning Boost, full power attack, charge.

Attack: [roll1] (vs flat-footed AC)
Damage: [roll2] +[roll3] (elec) +[roll4] (fire)

At R16, Child of Shadow active.

ghostaxe
2011-03-30, 06:41 PM
Oops, initiative: [roll0]

Oops again, it's 20 because mod is +7, not +6.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-31, 10:43 AM
http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/vrath4.bmp

As you begin casting your spell, the manticore realizes that you may not be just another stinky soldier lurking in the next room. He flies up through the hole in the ceiling, roaring as he goes: ”INTRUDER! Invisible spellcaster in the South Tower! Alert Koth!” The manticore begins to glide across the courtyard as he raises the alarm, reaching the middle of the yard. As he soars overheard, two goblins riding ugly, wolf-like creatures emerge from the stable area at which you had previously thrown a rock. Across the courtyard, two more goblins (on foot) enter the courtyard. They look up to the manticore and shout, ”You’d best be right, beast! This is our free time!”

This marks the beginning of round 8, as initiative was rolled before round 7. Feel free to change your actions for round 8. In the future, please refrain from planning out initiative actions too far in advance, as many things can change. I understand and appreciate your desire to keep the pace up, but I hate to keep frustrating you with changes in the situation.

[roll0]

OMG PONIES
2011-03-31, 11:03 AM
Sorry, silly me not making more rolls.

DM ONLY:
[roll0]
[roll1]Couldn't pinpoint.
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]

ghostaxe
2011-03-31, 12:08 PM
Silly me for not casting Shield earlier.

Lecern sighs. Looks like he'll have to use that scroll of Fly anyway. Lecern moves to R19 while drawing his scroll of Fly, drops it (so it turns visible), and then attempts to cast it.

ASF: [roll0] >10=success
Caster level: [roll1] >5=success

OMG PONIES
2011-03-31, 01:31 PM
The hole in the ceiling of the building you’re in is in P17-Q18. You can fly through the hole, but you will provoke an AoO from the manticore (albeit with 50% miss chance). Worg rider 1 is blocking the doorway between the South Tower and the building you’re in, so you can’t get out that way.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/vrath5.bmp

The goblins on foot begin scurrying across the courtyard, but cannot even make it to the towers before the worg riders move into the South Tower with the tremendous speed of their mounts. ”Nothing here!” they shout out. Their beasts, however, begin to feverishly sniff the air. Both turn toward the room in the southwest of the keep and begin barking; it seems they have picked up your scent again.
[roll0]
The manticore takes a wide, looping circle over the building in the southwest, dragging its claws along the roof to alert anyone still inside. It circles back to perch on the corner of the southeast building, and it picks up a scent on the wind. ”In my room!” it howls, snapping its neck to look toward its nest. ”It’s in my ROOM!”

ghostaxe
2011-03-31, 01:40 PM
Don't manticores only have 5' reach?
Action is the same, regardless.

Lecern flies out the hole and ends his movement right over the manticore (5' above).

He then initiates Burning Boost and full power attacks with an Emerald Razor.

Attack: [roll0] vs touch
Damage: [roll1] +[roll2] (fire + elec)

OMG PONIES
2011-03-31, 03:50 PM
Hmm, that they do. My mistake—the manticore will not be entitled to an attack of opportunity…unless, of course, you flew out of the hole in P17. You know, you never did specify… :smallamused: No, no AoO for him.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/vrath6.bmp

The manticore winces beneath your blow, but continues to fight. It lashes out at you with both of its claws, as well as its ferocious bite. ”I see you…” it seethes, ”I feel your flesh between my claws. That is my room.” On the ground, the goblins launch arrows toward you, but the manticore’s body provides you with adequate cover to avoid them. The two hobgoblins on foot are feeble archers, but the two mounted goblins are much more comfortable with a bow. It doesn't aid their efforts much, since all of the attacks against you still miss.

DM ONLY:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]
[roll20]

ghostaxe
2011-03-31, 04:02 PM
Lecern has 27 ac and concealment, I'm not worried.

Lecern's no longer invisible though because he's attacked already (from the manticore's speech it sounded like you may have still thought he's invisible).

Lecern responds amusedly. "Yes, yes. That's your room. I'll make sure to bury you there."

He lashes out again with his spiked chain (power attack 3).

Attack:[roll0]
damage: [roll1]+[roll2]

Assuming he kills the manticore, Lecern then flies to H12(45' movement). Remainder of move action pending what he sees in there.

OMG PONIES
2011-03-31, 04:31 PM
On the map, the blue objects are beds. You can see the door in E19, but don’t have line of sight to E12/13. You can enter the room if you wish, but you notice that there are 10-foot ceilings, meaning that even if you hug the ceiling, you’ll be in melee reach of creatures within the room.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/vrath7.bmp

Your blow drops the manticore, and it slumps over the corner of its building, with its paws dangling over the side. The goblins in the courtyard look on in sheer amazement at the ease with which you dispatched the beast. Upon looking into the southwest room, you find the saddest excuse for a barracks that you have ever seen. The room is mostly bare, save for the three beds against the walls. In the far corner of the room, a heavy stone door sits slightly ajar, though you can’t quite see past it. Two hobgoblins lay sleeping in two of the beds, though another one sits in disarray, as though somebody had recently evacuated it.

ghostaxe
2011-03-31, 04:48 PM
'It sounds like the leader of this band is named Koth. I better go find and neutralize him first.' thinks Lecern. But he must have heard the alarms by now, which means he's waiting to ambush me behind the door."

Lecern stops his movement outside the door this turn.

is the door in E19 open or closed? I.e. Do I need to take a move action to open it to get through?

OMG PONIES
2011-03-31, 05:08 PM
The door in E19 is not airtight, but will require a move action to open enough to pass through. Also, do you stop outside the door in H12/13 and, if so, how high up are you?

ghostaxe
2011-03-31, 05:14 PM
Lecern is at H12, and 5' up from the ground (and so would hug the ceiling if he were to enter through the door).

OMG PONIES
2011-04-01, 04:39 PM
http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/vrath8.bmp

The two hobgoblins inside the barracks sleep peacefully, despite the cacophony outside the door. The two worg riders take cover behind some of the boulders that litter the courtyard before letting arrows fly at you. ”Wake up! Reinforcements!” one of the riders calls into the barracks. The two hobgoblins already in the courtyard follow suit, taking cover behind another of the boulders. They, too, let arrows fly in your direction. However, you still prove nigh-unhittable, as only one measly arrow scrapes your calf. Take 3 damage.

All of the enemies in the courtyard have cover against you.

DM ONLY:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

ghostaxe
2011-04-01, 04:53 PM
Just to confirm, my ac is 27 with Shield active, and Child of Shadow is active.

Lecern grunts in pain at the arrows, but his mind is still on the leader. He Shadow Jaunts to F19, and kicks open the door at E19

OMG PONIES
2011-04-01, 04:57 PM
I thought your normal AC was 22 (since Enlarging against the hydra took it down to 21) + 4 from shield = 26?...and now I see the -2 DEX penalty that Enlarge Person also imposes. sonofacrap. so yeah, you're at 27. How convenient for you to point it out now...:smallwink: no damage, editing previous post.

ghostaxe
2011-04-01, 05:01 PM
I was just surprised 2 of them would roll nat 20's in the same round and both made their rolls against concealment. :smallamused:

Action doesn't change.

OMG PONIES
2011-04-01, 05:03 PM
Only one was a nat 20, which still means an autohit, unless you want to burn an action point. If not, you'll be taking...3 WHOLE DAMAGE! The other one rolled well, but had a high enough attack bonus to tap 26 without needing a nat 20.

Leaving work now--dinner with family tonight, so don't expect an update until tomorrow morning. Maybe some new events will unfurl in Birth of a Nation?

ghostaxe
2011-04-01, 05:13 PM
GiTP ate my post last night with a "server too busy" message, and I haven't gathered enough willpower to rewrite it... Will probably do later tonight.

I thought for sure you had forgotten about the shield, becuase I didn't write it into my character sheet.

Speaking of which, do you want me to migrate to Coyotecode? Shouldn't be too much trouble...

Lecern's CoyoteCode character sheet (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=10572), for your convenience.

OMG PONIES
2011-04-05, 04:37 PM
Sorry for the delay--this weekend (and the beginning of this week) were pretty busy. Should be falling back into a more regular schedule, though.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/vrath9.bmp

The aging stone crumbles under the force of your massive blow, falling to the ground and revealing what may have once been the quarters of Amery Vrath himself. A once-luxurious canopy bed juts into the center of the room, its gossamer netting long ago yellowed and torn. A spiral staircase hugs the southernmost wall of the rounded room, presumably leading up to the watchtower.

The dust dances in the fading light of the setting sun, but your reverie is interrupted by a gruff, growling voice behind you. ”That’s my bleeding room,” a bugbear barks at you as he emerges from a doorway in the north, ”not yours.” A field of various blades, daggers, and mirrored shards of glass orbit with ferocious speed around him. He raises a hand and closes his eyes, and the room is suddenly filled with goblins.

The two worg riders slide into the room, taking cover from you once more in the paths of the boulders. The footsoldiers gather in the doorway, and the two lazy goblins scurry from their beds and fetch their bows at the presence of their presumed leader. As he finishes his spell, you feel your magical protections slowly starting to melt away. You falter in the air for but a moment, and all of the goblins take aim at you. ”Pull,” scowls the bugbear, and a roomful of arrows fly toward you. While most are no more a nuisance than before, one strikes you in the neck. It penetrates as the last of your magical protections evaporate and you fall to the ground, your wound oozing blood.

Take 14 damage, and the effects of Fly and Shield both end.

Spellcraft DC 23 to open:
Koth has the following spells in place: Protection from Good, Blessed Aim, Cloud of Knives, Ring of Blades, and Divine Favor. Clearly, he spent some time preparing before entering the room.

Spellcraft DC 22 to open:
Koth has the following spells in place: Protection from Good, Blessed Aim, Cloud of Knives, and Divine Favor. Clearly, he spent some time preparing before entering the room.

Spellcraft DC 21 to open:
Koth has the following spells in place: Protection from Good, Blessed Aim, and Divine Favor. Clearly, he spent some time preparing before entering the room.

DM ONLY:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3] Does not apply, according to Curmudgeon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10711231&postcount=1119).
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]

OMG PONIES
2011-04-05, 05:02 PM
DM ONLY (more rolls):

[roll0]
[roll1] +3 (or +1 on crit)...forgot PBS damage

ghostaxe
2011-04-05, 09:05 PM
Number 6 was sleeping earlier, and getting up from prone provokes an AoO, no?

If so:

damage: [roll1] +[roll2]

Tumble to reduce falling damage, if any, autosuceeds.

Does Lecern likewise have cover vs gobs 1 2 3 4 and 5? (bed, rocks, and soft cover from 6)?

Spellcraft: [roll3]

ghostaxe
2011-04-05, 09:14 PM
action point to remove crit confirm from last round:
+[roll0] AC

As Lecern watches the arrow fly to him, and realize that it would strike his vital neck region, he utters a single word of power "Deflect!

"Well, darn. It looks like I'm outnumbered. Better do something about that."

Lecern attacks goblin 6 and then moves up the stairs and into the room upstairs, moving 5' away so that people at the base of the stairs don't have LoS on him, but he is withim range to do AoO on anyone coming up the stairs into the higher room.

Attack:[roll1]
Damage: [roll2]+[roll3]

Edit: wait, was that spellcraft check 1 roll, with different levels of success or 3 separate roll? I assumed the former, but realized that it's probably 3 different spell effects, so I may get 3 separate checks. If so, you can roll for me.

OMG PONIES
2011-04-06, 12:07 PM
Getting up from prone does provoke an AoO. Sorry that I didn’t list that you were entitled to one. I’ll try to make that clearer in the future. You hit the goblin, but he’s still [barely] standing...just in time for you to slay him with your most recent post. :smallbiggrin:

Because you were 5 feet off the ground, you didn’t have cover against any of the arrows (I ruled that the goblins could ready an action to attack when your spells were dispelled, but before you fell). If the cover would have made a difference, I would have given it to you, but the one who hit you even hits against cover, whereas the others all missed you (even without cover).

As for the Spellcraft checks, there are actually 5 spells in effect on Koth.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
I didn’t know it was one check per effect—I thought it was one check to identify all ongoing effects. My bad. You can identify that Koth has Protection from Good and Divine Favor in place.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/vrath10.bmp

Your word does little to stop the penetration of the arrow, but speaking stretches your neck just before the hit, causing the arrow to divert away from your carotid artery. Instead, it pokes through your flesh and lodges itself in one of your muscles, causing a slight twitch but less pain.

Take 5 damage instead of the 14 from last round.

Your chain strikes against the closest goblin’s temple; the force of the blow sends him reeling, and he falls upon the closest boulder. He cracks his skull, and blood seeps gently from the dead goblin’s mouth. The other formerly sleeping goblin looks at you, its knees shaking, and stammers, ”Y-you monster!” as you make your way up the winding staircase.

In the tower, you see what must have kept Vrath Keep standing against the giant attack years ago. Arrow slits litter the walls, and the skeletal remains of a few archers sit along the floor, still clutching their bows. The last few rays of amber sunlight dance between the slits, but horrible shadows play on the wall. Pressed against one wall, you see why: the disfigured corpse of a human is pinned to the wall, lit from below by a small, magical flame--the “haunt” of Vrath’s Keep, no doubt.

Spellcraft DC 23 to open:
The spell is continual flame.

No goblins come up the stairs, though you hear the sounds of movement below, as if they are rushing into Koth’s quarters. Larger footsteps resound as Koth draws near, but he too stays below. You hear the unmistakable muttering of a spell being cast.

Spellcraft DC 18 to open:
The spell being cast is Mass Aid.

DM ONLY:

[roll4]

ghostaxe
2011-04-06, 12:19 PM
No worries, glad the game is continuing! I kind of feel that the Town Hall meeting is dragging on longer than expected, so we could end the meeting for now with a small victory for you, but then you have to go to Vraath Keep for try to find money.

Spellcraft: [roll0]
Spellcraft: [roll1]

I take it there are no windows big enough to fit through on the second floor? Lecern can see out the Arrow Slits, right? Consequently he could Shadow Jaunt out?

EDIT: Protection from Good? YESS!!! That's why I love being True Neutral, none of these Protection from *** and Detect *** spells affect me. :smallbiggrin:

Lecern breathes heavily as he plans his next move. The goblins will try to rush his position, no doubt. No point casting a spell now otherwise. He's at a great advantage fighting in the close confines of the second floor, but that also makes escape tricky if he were to find himself at a disadvantage.

Lecern hears the spell being intoned downstairs and quietly curses to himself. He then thinks, 'Mass Aid? That's going to cause them to be much harder to kill. I only have Expeditious Retreat active, while that Koth guy probably just burned all his buffing spells. A tactical retreat while these spells wear out does sound like a promising option.' (Note: this is *not* being spoken aloud for Koth to hear :smallwink:)

Lecern steps to C3 and concentrates on the space-time around him, and the secrets of shadow-based teleportation are available to him once more.

OMG PONIES
2011-04-07, 05:01 PM
Sigh...yes, since the arrow slits have to allow line of sight/effect for arrows, that means that you can Shadow Jaunt through them. You know, I think this campaign is swaying me to ban Tome of Battle...j/k. :smallwink:

By the way, I'm sorry, but I forgot that Expeditious Retreat was on you when Koth hit you with Dispel Magic.
[roll0]
Expeditious Retreat is also dispelled.

Posts coming...sometime for this as well as Birth of a Nation. Milo is going to say something like, "I just need your moral support and your time--I'll finance this defense with the treasure I find from Old Vrath's Keep." I just haven't had time to edit. Sister-in-law's wedding this weekend, so maybe no real updates until Monday.

OMG PONIES
2011-04-11, 03:40 PM
Everyone but creature 4 provokes an AoO for their movement, and creatures 1 and 2 also provoke AoOs for their ranged attacks. You may take up to 5 AoOs this round.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/vrath11.bmp

The goblins rush up the stairs, unflinching in the face of your attacks. ”We’ve got him cornered, Wyrmlord!” one shouts down to Koth. The fearsome bugbear himself also ascends the stairs, licking his lips as he pounds the shaft of his Morningstar against his massive paw. ”I shall relish your death,” he muses. ”You’ll make an excellent soldier. Attack!” he barks, and the goblins all pummel you. The two riders continue assaulting you with bows despite the close quarters, but the others pull out longswords and begin to attack. One of them digs into your side, and you wince in pain.

Take 6 damage.

DM ONLY:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

ghostaxe
2011-04-11, 03:58 PM
With 22 Dex, shouldn't I be able to make 6? Out of total 7 provokes (5 movement, 2 ranged)

Also, let's see if Lecern kills the guy who damages him before the swing connects...

Lecern grins as they all rush up the stairs. "Let the blood feast begin!"

AoO 1: [roll0] (full Power Attack)
damage: [roll1] +[roll2]

AoO 2: [roll3] (full Power Attack)
damage: [roll4] +[roll5]

AoO 3: [roll6] (full Power Attack)
damage: [roll7] +[roll8]

AoO 5: [roll9] (full Power Attack)
damage: [roll10] +[roll11]

AoO K: [roll12] (full Power Attack)
damage: [roll13] +[roll14]

AoO 1 or 2, whoever is damaged but not dead: [roll15] (full Power Attack)
damage: [roll16] +[roll17]

AoO 1: [roll18] (full Power Attack)
damage: [roll19] +[roll20]

AoO 1: [roll21] (full Power Attack)
damage: [roll22] +[roll23]

Oops, a bit too zealous with my copy pasting...

Waiting for results before taking his real turn.

OMG PONIES
2011-04-11, 04:11 PM
Sorry, yes, 6 AoOs. I missed the 22 in the temp. column. Your AoOs miss the 4 goblins, but one connects with Wyrmlord Koth. He seems amazed by your speed and power, but only lightly wounded. The AoO you take against #1 for shooting his bow at you stings viciously, tearing a large gash across the creature’s chest. He is wounded, yet still standing.

ghostaxe
2011-04-11, 04:24 PM
Just to confirm, #5 just got up from sleeping 1 round ago, and is unarmored?

Lecern is extremely pleased that he managed to hit and wound the leader. "No sense leaving you to live, Koth!"

Lecern takes a 5' step to C2, and casts Wraithstrike. If he succeeds, he initiates Whirling Frenzy, and full power attacks Koth:

ASF: [roll0] >10 = success

Attack 1: [roll1] (vs touch AC)
Damage: [roll2] +[roll3]

Attack 2: [roll4] (vs touch AC)
Damage: [roll5] +[roll6]

Action point if miss: [roll7]

If spell fails, Lecern just attacks with full power attack without going into Frenzy:

Attack: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9] +[roll10]

AC is now 24 25 because of Frenzy.

OMG PONIES
2011-04-11, 04:56 PM
For ease of bookkeeping, I just assumed that they were sleeping in their armor—catching some unauthorized shuteye. As such, I didn’t have them wake when you came in, but only once they heard Koth, startled by the sound of their superior. If you feel this is unfair, please let me know and we can discuss it for future encounters. I just didn’t want hitting them to be TOO much of a cakewalk for you.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/vrath12.bmp

Koth simply smirks, and a dagger flies at your face as the others swirling around him cut the skin of his minions. ”As if the choice were yours, human,” he sneers as he casts a spell and a ghostly morningstar appears in the air. The goblins step cautiously toward you before jabbing with their longswords, while the two archers continue to fire arrows at you. Turning to his minions, Koth growls, ”Any who run shall be eaten,” before starting down the stairs to the floor below. However, as he leaves, your chain tears his flesh, dropping the bugbear to the ground, dead.

One of the goblin's arrows tears through your chest, lodging itself deep in one of your lungs. You gag and wheeze for air, allowing goblin 4 the opportunity he needs. His sword punctures your side, glancing your kidney. The ghostly morningstar comes down on your head, leaving you reeling.

Take 20 damage, and 11 force damage.

DM ONLY:

[roll1]
1d20+11
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
1d20+9
[roll=damage 4] 1d8+2
1d20+9
1d8+2
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

OMG PONIES
2011-04-11, 05:00 PM
DM ONLY (more rolls + messups):

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

ghostaxe
2011-04-11, 05:18 PM
Did either of the two attacks hit? Remember with Wraithstrike they're against Koth's touch AC (which does not get the +2 deflection bonus from Protection from Good).

Also, Lecern will take an action point to avoid one of the hits:

+[roll0] AC

Also, Lecern will take his two attacks of Opportunity on Koth (casting spell and moving out of threatened area). Both are still with Wraithstrike on and full power attack:

AoO 1: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] +[roll3]

AoO 2: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5] +[roll6]

Edit: There we go. Please inform Koth's status (dead or alive).

Edit2: I just realized my base AC is 23, not 22. So my AC was actually 25 last round, in case that matters at all...

OMG PONIES
2011-04-11, 05:54 PM
Sorry, I posted in a rush. The first attack hit Koth, while the second wasn't even enough to hit his touch AC. However, I do believe that deflection bonuses to AC apply to touch AC (unless you can provide a reference to the contrary). In this case, it's a moot point--I haven't been adding the +2 bonus since you mentioned Lecern's neutrality.

Since you used an action point on your second attack, I don't think you can use one to negate one of the hits, since I think you can only use one per round.

Lastly, Lecern does not get any attacks of opportunity on Koth--he made a Concentration check to cast defensively, and creature 4 provides soft cover that blocks Lecern's AoO against Koth for leaving a threatened square. Koth is still alive.

ghostaxe
2011-04-11, 06:12 PM
Deflection bonuses do apply to touch, I was just pointing out Lecern's neutrality once more.

Isn't this the start of the next round already? (Otherwise, I wouldn't have used my Action Point on the attack roll... but it's your call.)

Soft cover only applies to ranged attacks, and therefore Lecern still makes one AoO:

Soft Cover

Creatures, even your enemies, can provide you with cover against ranged attacks, giving you a +4 bonus to AC. However, such soft cover provides no bonus on Reflex saves, nor does soft cover allow you to make a Hide check.

OMG PONIES
2011-04-12, 02:05 PM
My bad, I thought soft cover applied to all attacks. The round started with Lecern's initiative, so we're still in the same round. Tell you what, since we'd both like to rewind time: I will allow you to not use your AP on your attack (thus allowing you to negate one of the hits against Lecern) if you will allow me to edit Koth's action to a 5-ft step instead of full movement.

ghostaxe
2011-04-12, 03:22 PM
Actually, as a principle I'd strongly prefer not to rewind time unless absolutely necessary. Otherwise, the death of Creen seems silly, because that was also caused by a misconception regarding when Shadow Jaunt could and could not be used.

Regardless of whether you agree and whether Koth dies this round or not, I think the next action will be the same. (Please inform which one you decided on, though.)

Lecern decides he's done well so far, and will return after patching himself up. He Shadow Jaunts 50' away to a position on the ground near the best cover he can find, takes a 5' step into the cover (hopefully total cover, but at least improved?), and then draws his Wand of Invisibility.

OMG PONIES
2011-04-12, 04:30 PM
Makes sense. You don't negate the hit, and you do make your second AoO. Koth is dead. Previous post updated, next post forthcoming.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/vrath13.bmp

As you teleport from the tower, the goblins make a show of cursing loudly, though some of them seem a bit relieved as you disappear from sight. They move to the arrow slits, drawing their bows and firing feebly at you, but none are able to connect thanks to the boulder you duck behind.

OMG PONIES
2011-04-12, 04:33 PM
DM ONLY (rolls mess-up):

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

ghostaxe
2011-04-12, 04:43 PM
Actually, now that I look at my character sheet, there was another thing I forgot to do last round... use my Fire Riposte to take out #4 >_< Oh well.

Incidentally, Lecern is at only 5 / 50 HP. *sweats*

Lecern uses his Wand of Invisibility, and then moves silently away to Q22:

Move Silently: [roll0]

ghostaxe
2011-04-12, 04:48 PM
Unless something really surprising happens, Lecern quaffs a Potion of Lesser Vigor in the next round, and moseys over to V11 and waits around for 11 rounds to heal up to 16 HP. He then repeats with another Potion of Lesser Vigor to heal another 11 HP to 27 HP. He quaffs a third potion of Lesser Vigor, healing to 28, at which point, there are 6 rounds left of Invisibility (and 10 rounds left on Lesser Vigor), and he will start moving once again.

EDIT: Whirling Frenzy has long worn out since then, and so Lecern is now fatigued (-2 STR, -2 DEX, can't run or charge). AC is down to 22.

What does he see from his vantage point at V11? In particular, has Koth gotten back up, and do the visibly injured monsters from before look healed up?

OMG PONIES
2011-04-12, 05:10 PM
You only have time to regain 2 HP before the below occurs. As I mentioned before, please refrain from posting too many rounds at a time unless I mention that we're out of initiative. You just killed their leader--while the goblins didn't love him, they're still on high alert. You don't see Koth, and none of the monsters look like they've taken the time to heal.

http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/vrath14.bmp

You regain 2 HP before the wolves come out of the entrance. Each sniffs the air, searching for you. They enter into your reach before they are aware of you, but as they draw near their ears perk up. Their snouts move furiously, and it seems that they have pinpointed you. They snarl, bark, and attack. Their fangs miss you, but their rage draws the attention of the goblins, who all emerge from the southwest building with their bows at the ready. They look around, attempting to see you but unable to do so.

DM ONLY:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

ghostaxe
2011-04-12, 05:18 PM
Sorry about that; just figured they wouldn't be able to do anything against Lecern and his stealth.

Lecern takes a 5' step back to W12, forcibly ends his frenzy, and concentrates for a full round, once again recovering Shadow Jaunt.

'Zarking sniffers,' thinks Lecern once again. 'Also zarking silly of me not to pack any real potions of healing.'

HP = 8/50.
AC is 22, Lecern is fatigued.

OMG PONIES
2011-04-13, 03:01 PM
http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/vrath15.bmp

The wolves sniff the air and, sensing that you are nearly, step cautiously forward. Both of them pinpoint you once more, but cannot bring their fangs to connect with your flesh. Meanwhile, the two worg riders take cover behind boulders while three of the footsoldiers step forward, listening for your presence. All of the goblins look cautious, as if they are ready to spring into action at any moment [readying actions].

DM ONLY:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]

ghostaxe
2011-04-13, 05:33 PM
Lecern Shadow Jaunts to P19 and then moves P16. 'I'll heal up here with a clear view of the battlefield,' thinks the love-unlucky hero.

Tumble to mitigate 10 feet of falling damage (due to LoS issues on where he can teleport) automatically succeeds.

hp = 9/50
25 rnds of Invis left

OMG PONIES
2011-04-16, 07:00 AM
Sorry, no map until Monday. After this encounter, we may need to talk about the possibility of nerfing Shadow Jaunt to only let you teleport to squares that can support you (a la the rules for summoning creatures). While I have some encounter ideas that could play well with the maneuver, I don't want the rest of the campaign just being new and exciting things for you to teleport on top of.

The goblins seem flummoxed by the actions of the wolves, and all of them return to the southwest building. The worgs sniff the air and, finding no trace of you, enter back into the keep's courtyard. However, they pick up the scent again and bound over to the base of the southeast building, where they begin snarling and barking as they scratch at the wall below you, trying to find a way up. One of the goblins pokes his head out of the southwest building and shouts, "Ey! You shut!" Both worgs back down and return to the stables in the north with their tails between their legs.

ghostaxe
2011-04-17, 11:21 PM
Travelling until Tuesday night, updates will be spotty until Wed.

That house rule on Shadow Jaunt is fine with me. I did the falling 10' just for dramatic effect anyway (could have teleported to the roof square closest to me).

I'm assuming Lecern has several rounds now to recover. Feel free to interrupt if not.

Also, am I reading that correctly that the worgs and riders are back in the stables, but the others are in the tower?

Lecern sighs a heavy breath of relief as his foes appear to back off. He cocnetrates on his martial abilities and weighs his options on how to proceed.

Recover Shadow Jaunt.
Recover Emerald Razor.
Recover Burning Boost.

ghostaxe
2011-04-20, 12:28 PM
*poke*

Lecern, with his wounds slowly closing due to the magic of the Lesser Vigor potion, decides that he should try to divide and conquer the remaining foes. He'll start with the worgs, just as soon as he rests a little more.

HP = 12/50.
5 rounds of Lesser Vigor left.
22 rounds of Invisibility left.

If nothing happens, Lecern quaffs another Potion of Lesser Vigor 5 rounds from now, and another one 16 rounds from now, all while observing movements in the tower and stables.
At that point, he'll be at the following when he starts moving again:

HP = 29/50.
10 rounds of Lesser Vigor left.
5 rounds of Invisibility left.

OMG PONIES
2011-04-22, 06:13 AM
Sorry, somehow I let this game slip through the cracks. Yes, the worg riders and worgs are in the stables to the North. The others are in the barracks to the Southwest.

As you perch atop the Southeast building, an eerie quiet befalls the keep. Wherever the goblins went, they're not coming out anytime soon.

ghostaxe
2011-04-23, 12:57 PM
'Time to finish this!'

Lecern jumps down from the building at O20 and moves to L22. He then Shadow Jaunts back into the 2nd floor of the southeast tower through the arrow slits.

HP = 30/50.
9 rounds of Lesser Vigor left.
4 rounds of Invisibility left.

OMG PONIES
2011-04-25, 09:44 AM
http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/vrath16.bmp

As you teleport back into the tower, all seems quiet. Too quiet, even.

ghostaxe
2011-04-25, 12:08 PM
Is the body of Koth still there where it used to be?

Edit: regardless of whether Koth's corpse is there or not, Lecern moves to C5 and walks downstairs. Rest of move and turn to follow depending on what he sees downstairs, including what weapons any foes appear to be wielding, and how wounded they look.

OMG PONIES
2011-04-27, 04:56 PM
Koth's body remains slumped against the spiral stairway, trickling drops of blood down to the floor below. As you twist your way down the stairs, you can faintly hear the murmur of Goblin voices in the other room (the southwest building), though the large stone door is now closed tightly.

Sorry for the delay; thanks for bearing w/ me.

ghostaxe
2011-04-27, 10:14 PM
Lecern pulls open the stone door with the rest of his action. He grits his teeth as he prepares to enter combat once more. As he does so, the adventurer feels a warm tinge from his spiked chain, as if the weapon too was flush with anticipation.

OMG PONIES
2011-04-28, 04:57 PM
So you have...2 rounds of invisibility left? Map forthcoming; the file storage site I was using exclusively for maps is now not letting me upload, thinking that I'm violating their Terms of Service. I'll find a new one tonight. There are three goblins in the Southwest building of our big map--one in F13, one in I13, and one in F19. Sorry about the Google Docs link, it seems my previous image host may be kaput. Any suggestions on what you use for image hosting?

MAP (https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B6SiFcfTX4xzZjlkMjFkMGItMDA1My00ODc0LWIyM WUtMmU2N2QwMmI0MGZl&hl=en)

As you move the gigantic stone door out of the way, you see the three remaining foot soldier Goblins, all shaking in their boots. The one goblin you had previously slain remains sprawled on the ground, a pool of blood forming beneath him. The two farthest from you are each crouched by one of the doors, holding longswords at the ready. The closest one is in a similar stance, but his face is contorted into a confused expression as the door opens without a creature in sight. None of the goblins seem to be injured at all, though the three of them are definitely not comfortable with the current uncertainty of your whereabouts. ”H-hello?” the closest one snivels.

ghostaxe
2011-05-01, 03:52 PM
"Goodbye," responds Lecern stoically as he steps to E19 and lashes out with a Burning Blade.

Attack: [roll0] (vs flat-footed, Power Attack 3)
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] + [roll3]

HP: 32 / 50 (6 rounds of Lesser Vigor left)
AC: 22

OMG PONIES
2011-05-04, 03:18 PM
Map forthcoming, while I search for a better image host. Oy. Goblins are at F19, F13, J13. Worg riding goblins are in I20 and I19, having just burst into the room on double-moving worgs. Sorry, I'm trying to get back to a decent posting pace. I was able to upload the Excel version of the map...apparently my file host only cares about me uploading images. Weird. Let me know if this works.

MAP (http://questoflongitude.zoomshare.com/files/aatd.xlsx)

The goblin smirks as you appear and feebly attack the air. "More like hello," it growls at you. Its companions let loose against you with their bows and arrows, while the goblin you attacked stabs at you with his longsword. The goblin in the corner shouts out the door to the North, "He's back! Bring the wolves!"

Almost immediately, the first two goblins burst through the door on their worgs, firing arrows at you as the creatures scamper across the room. All of the goblins' attacks miss you, but you once again find yourself in a room with five angry goblins.

DM ONLY:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

ghostaxe
2011-05-04, 09:32 PM
The two to the north are the riders and worgs, I assume?

Lecern shrugs and says, "I suppose we can dance a bit. Won't change the outcome though, you might as well commit suicide right now."

Initiate Emerald Razor vs closest goblin, full power attack. Then move up stairs.

Attack: [roll0] (vs touch)

Tumble: [roll2]

HP: 33/50, 5 rounds of lesser vigor left.
AC = 22, Child of Shadow active.

OMG PONIES
2011-05-05, 02:59 PM
The two to the North (#3 and #4) are footsoldiers; the worg riders [and worgs] are represented by #1 and #2, in the Southeast corner of the room.

The goblin absorbs the shock of your blow with a whimper. It is bloodied by your chain, but remains standing. As you tumble away, it wipes blood from its lip and shouts: "Our cause is greater than death itself; we stand firm!" As you retreat up the stairs, none pursue you. "Not falling for that again!" one shouts.

DM ONLY:
All goblins ready actions to attack once Lecern appears.

ghostaxe
2011-05-05, 03:27 PM
Lecern sighs and mutters to himself, "Silly me, their Aid spells haven't worn off yet."

He concentrates for a round and recovers Emerald Razor.

HP = 34/50, 4 round of Lesser Vigor left.

If the goblins continue to stay downstairs, Lecern will take the following actions on the subsequent rounds:

2: Recover Shadow Jaunt, HP = 35/50
3: Recover Burning Blade, HP = 36/50
4: Loot Koth's corpse, HP = 37/50
5: Quaff another Potion of Lesser Vigor, HP = 38/50 (11 rounds of Lesser Vigor left).

OMG PONIES
2011-05-06, 02:01 PM
You find plently of loot on Koth's corpse; the bugbear holds a masterwork morningstar, and a bag of holding (type I) hangs at his waist. Peering inside the bag, you find one scroll sealed with wax, two royal blue potions, and a lot of metal coins. No goblins bother coming up stairs in these few seconds, however.

ghostaxe
2011-05-08, 12:46 PM
Lecern shrugs and thinks to himself, 'Well, I have no problems if they don't want to continue battle. I could use the rest. In 20 minutes, even most extended buffs should expire.'

Lecern positions himself near the spiral staircase, and rests for 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes, Lecern should be at 49/50 HP, and no longer fatigued. If possible, Lecern also switches out Fire Riposte for Cloak of Deception. He still has both hands on his spiked chain, so he can make AoO thanks to combat reflexes, but he is taking his full-round actions to rest.

OMG PONIES
2011-05-09, 05:30 PM
Nothing happes during the 20 minutes in which you rest; the Keep grows surprisingly quiet, in fact.

ghostaxe
2011-05-10, 12:21 PM
'Time to finish this,' thinks Lecern to himself. He concentrates for a moment to envelope himself in his surroundings, and hustles downstairs while his invisibility still keeps.

Rest of turn to follow depending on what Lecern sees downstairs. In particular, he's looking to see which ones are wielding longswords, and which ones are wielding ranged weapons.

OMG PONIES
2011-05-10, 02:53 PM
Lecern returns downstairs and bursts through the door to find...nothing. The goblins are not present in the room. The musty old keep stands silent, as if Lecern is entirely alone.

ghostaxe
2011-05-10, 02:58 PM
Is the outside door into the courtyard open?

Lecern rests for a moment to regain his cloaking abilities, and then goes upstairs to take everything of remote potential use from Koth's corpse, including his armor and any documents he might have on his person.

Lecern then goes downstairs looks around for any of the goblin's tracks, in case they point to a secret door or passage.

Search take 20: 23

Assuming he doesn't find anything, Lecern then goes up into the tower, Shadow Jaunts outside, recovers Shadow Jaunt, and enters the Keep from the east gate again.

OMG PONIES
2011-05-10, 03:52 PM
The door to the courtyard hangs open, and there are not only goblin tracks leading out this door, but a much larger set of prints as well. You find nothing additional on Koth's body beyond some chainmail armor, but you can still cram all of it into the bag of holding. The tracks you find are hasty and deep, as if the creatures left in a hurry with no concern for stealth.

As you come around the outside of the building, you see the faint silhouette of some creatures on the horizon, hastily travelling away from the Keep. It seems that the goblins may have grown wise to their impending doom and hightailed it.

ghostaxe
2011-05-10, 03:59 PM
Hrm, Lecern didn't get any Listen checks to hear them leaving? Oh well.

Recall that Lecern also has a Handy Haversack, so he should be able to carry quite a lot.

So... is the encounter over?

Lecern carefully searches the rest of the keep for any information or treasure that might be available (such as on the corpse of the downed goblin and manticore), spending up to a hour. While he searches, Lecern has his eyes and ears open for any other goblins that might be approaching... those who fled might be grabbing reinforcements.

Lecern also carves out a few choice parts of the manticore's flesh, and wraps it in paper. It looks like today was a good day for a magical beast buffet.

OMG PONIES
2011-05-13, 03:55 PM
Sorry, busy week--I know you're tired of hearing that. Thanks for bearing with me.

ghostaxe
2011-05-13, 05:02 PM
No worries, I'll be pretty busy myself for the coming 4 weeks. Apologies in advance for late replies.

OMG PONIES
2011-05-16, 01:13 PM
I figured that, resting a floor above and with a wall between, you wouldn’t hear them. Sorry…it was more of a “you win, let’s proceed” move than anything else. I didn’t want to bog down the pace of your story, and a war of attrition against these goblins would have eventually resulted in your victory anyway. The encounter is indeed over; award yourself 7,000 XP, which I think takes you up to level 8.
I think that removing the minotaur was a bad idea of mine, but the encounter seemed too cramped to find any place to squeeze him in. Also, I think changing Koth into a Favored Soul helped his cronies get some hitting power. However, keeping more of the straight blaster flavor of the adventure may have been a little more deadly (if properly optimized). All in all, it seemed like the encounter with Koth was the only part that presented you with any sort of real challenge. What is your feedback?
The light of the sun is fading from view, and the moon is already bathing the courtyard of Vrath’s Keep in pale light. Off in the distance, a wolf howls; beyond that, the keep is silent.

It is now night on Day 2, and you may want to consider resting soon.

ghostaxe
2011-05-16, 01:51 PM
I guess it's normal for them to flee. I was hoping to kill 3 or more of them in a turn so that I can activate my Spellspike though:smallbiggrin:

To be honest, I was really surprised that I took so much damage in that one round (going down to 5 HP), even with my 27 AC... which means I'm still taking too many risks, fighting in suboptimal conditions. As soon as I realized Koth had all those buffs on, I should have high-tailed it out and waited 20 minutes before invading again. I guess I was afraid Koth would flee or call for more reinforcements in that time.

A straight blaster would have been scary-- at 9 HD, a Sudden Maximized Fireball would have been 54 points of damage (60 if he takes Fiery Burst for +1 caster level on fire). Lecern's Reflex save is decent at +9, and the action point would have helped, but even 27 damage is nothing to sneeze at.

BTW, the map wasn't on Koth's person or in the War Room? I guess the goblins left with it :smallfurious: Any treasure elsewhere in the keep (such as the Manticore's rest area)?

Great, HP roll for Spellsword: [roll0]. Gain spells Heart of Water and Fly. Gain 6 skill points (+1 Listen, +1 Spot, +1 Concentration, +3 Spellcraft). +1 INT (for level 8).

You know, I normally wouldn't rest right away, because Lecern still has the majority of his spells left, but there is the matter of 3rd level spells from leveling up.

Lecern decides to camp out at Vraath Keep and potentially wait for the goblins to return, and/or other goblins to come. As he waits and waits, it becomes clear that he's alone for the evening, and he reflects on the combat lessons he learned through the day's events. The hydra was a routine kill, but these bugger goblins almost got him. He'll need to be more careful in the future, and not fight directly against well-prepared enemies.

Lecerns takes a few more practice swings with his spiked chain... it had seemed to feel somewhat... abnormal... earlier in the day, but now, during practice, it seems the same as it always has been.

After a good 3 hours of cooking, eating, and practicing, Lecern yawns and decides that he's had enough physical activity for the day, and wanders to the top of the south-east guard tower. He takes out his various scrolls and studies them again, and somehow today they seem much clearer than before. Why, that Fly spell, all he needs to do is this... and this... while thinking that...

He then looks at his scroll of Haste...

Spellcraft: [roll1] vs DC 18 (to move it into my spellbook). Action Point [roll2] if there's any chance it'll help. EDIT: Success without needing action point.

... and that spell, too, becomes obvious. As he copies the spell into his spellbook, the magic writing disappears. Fortunately, he has another Scroll of Haste in case it's needed.

Around midnight, Lecern grows tired, and makes preparations for sleep. He casts a mental [i]Alarm on the area centered on the second floor of the Tower, and quickly dozes off.

ghostaxe
2011-05-16, 01:59 PM
Oops, before I level up, I'll use the rest of my action points to try to help identify the scrolls and potions.

Spellcraft Koth's scroll: [roll0] (+2 if it's Transmutation), [roll1] action point.

Spellcraft Potion: [roll2] (+2 if it's Transmutation), [roll3] action point.

Also, could I have a full list of treasure from the encounter? Thanks!

OMG PONIES
2011-05-16, 03:13 PM
Map? What map? :smallbiggrin: Yes, they were tasked with protecting the map, so they took it with them. Here's your treasure list:

From the manticore’s nest:
-216 gp
-8 pp
-gold necklace (Appraise check for worth)
-Filthy silk cloak w/ silver & gold thread (Appraise check for worth)

From Koth:
-masterwork Morningstar
-Wand of Magic Missile
-Potion of Fly
-2 potions of CMW
-bag of holding (type I)
-Scroll of mount
-2 elixirs of truth
-743 gp
-2980 sp

I'll need Search checks for anything else.

ghostaxe
2011-05-16, 04:20 PM
Appraise necklace: [roll0] +[roll1] (action point, if necessary, from before leveling)
Silk cloak: [roll2] +[roll3] (action point, if necessary, from before leveling)

Is it OK for me to just combine all the coins into 1337 gp, or do you want me to keep track of individual types?

Search check is take 20 or 23. Lecern is going to be there for something like 6-7 hours before he goes to bed, so I think he can take 20 for the entire area...

OMG PONIES
2011-05-16, 04:27 PM
The necklace and cloak are each worth about 250 gp. You can certainly keep track of the gp all together--no need to track individual types of coins.

Lecern scans every inch of the Keep throughout the night, but finds nothing of any more value than the manticore's nest and loot he has already found. As night gives way to day, he finally decides to rest.

DM ONLY:
[roll0]

Lecern is so tired from his day of adventure and bloodshed that he doesn't even mind the sun shining through the cracks in the Keep--he sleeps until just around midday, and is awakened by the call of a hawk in the distance. Still, the keep is silent--the goblins must not have any intentions of coming back. The choice is Lecern's: will he continue deeper into the Witchwood, or head back to Drellin's Ferry?

It is now midday on day 3.

ghostaxe
2011-05-16, 05:01 PM
I guess Lecern has no reason to think that the goblins are organized at this point. They were probably an isolated band of bandits, and by decapitating their leadership, they must have dispersed already.

Seeing that none of the hobgoblins have returned, Lecern is satisfied that he has solved Drellin's Ferry's goblin problem. There was no need to head back, he'd just face a cold shoulder from Soranna. No sirree, it's onwards to Dreenal after he prepares his spells.

Before he leaves, however, Lecern cuts another 20 pounds of choice manticore flesh and stuffs it in his new Bag of Holding. It might be worth something to someone in Dreenal. He then duly buries the rest of the manticore's body in the room where the manticore had nested... as he promised in his last words to the magical beast.

Lecern then continues travelling to north-west, avoiding traveling on the main road, but rather moving through the bushes some little distance away, careful not to draw attention and simultaneously ready to ambush any other unwary goblins.

OMG PONIES
2011-05-20, 02:13 PM
As the Way winds deeper into the woods in the Northwest, the light of the day is cut out by the canopy overhead. You manage to wind your way through the shadowy underbrush, until you come to a large clearing. Trees and branches lay flat as if bent downward by sheer force, and a huge effigy rises into the sky, about three times as tall as you. It is sewn together from the branches of the fallen trees themselves, stretched and knotted as if they were nothing. A massive barrel makes the head of the effigy, and old faded paints and dyes still mark a crude face on the barrel. Birds have long since started nesting in the makeshift head, and they caw at you as you pass.

Knowledge (nature) DC 13 to open:
This is a territorial marker for a tribe of giants.

Knowledge (nature) DC 23 to open:
This is a territorial marker for a tribe of forest giants. However, you notice that the crude workmanship is a bit subpar for these creatures, who are natural woodsmen and whittlers.

A wide, beaten path leads toward the northwest, basking in the sun. In all other directions, the dense underbrush awaits, providing both cover and shade.

Just a heads up--we're coming into the weekend of my mother's birthday, my wife's birthday, and my wedding anniversary. My posting's been a bit slow because of this, and my posts are about to get slower. I'll be out of the country on vacation from May 26th - June 4th, but I intend on upping my posting rate significantly once I return. Thanks again for your patience.

ghostaxe
2011-05-20, 02:22 PM
No prob. I'm happy to play at whatever pace works for you.

Lecern decides that anything that's strong enough to probably would be dangerous grapplers, and casts Heart of Water on himself in preparation for a fight. As soon as he finishes casting it through, he regrets a little... the paints did look faded... maybe whoever made that is long gone by now. Nevertheless he probably shouldn't linger for long. He quickens his pace until he feels any potential danger has passed.

Hustle for 1 hour, and continue walking. Heart of Water lasts for 5 hours.

OMG PONIES
2011-05-20, 02:49 PM
Just to confirm, are you following the beaten path or continuing in the dense underbrush? Also, should I always assume that you're heading NW, or in any different direction?

ghostaxe
2011-05-20, 03:45 PM
Lecern is generally cautious, and will travel near the beaten path but not on it (i.e. some means of stealth without being slowed down too much). He's generally heading northwest to Dreenal, going in a way that he thinks will get him there the fastest (rather than shortest route), and thus maybe will be walking around mountains, etc.

OMG PONIES
2011-05-23, 09:30 AM
As you follow alongside the old trail, you see from your vantagepoint in the woods that the trail ends abruptly in the shadow of a large hill that looms over the woods. At the base of this hill, the remains of a huge wooden fortress sit in ruins, planks made from huge trees collapsed and tilted in upon one another. Some of the lumber has been snapped off the pile to create a fire, and a boar sizzles on a spit the size of a lance above the fire.

A lone giant sits by the fire, turning the spit and muttering to himself in his own language. He is surprisingly gaunt for his height. His massive, tangled green hair flows down to his yellow shoulders, which are mottled with angry red blotches. The creature is easily ten feet tall, even when seated. He begins speaking in Common, presumably to his dinner. ”Poor piggy…all alone, just like Warklegnaw. All dead, too…” His eyes scan the treeline as he cooks, and a huge club sits at his side—possibly once a tree itself.

Hide and Move Silently checks, please.

ghostaxe
2011-05-23, 10:18 AM
Hrm. I'm going to have to play my character here and assume the giant would go aggressive if he had noticed Lecern.

Move Silently: [roll1]

Lecern quickly scans the surrounding area to see if there were any signs of movement, such as an awaiting ambush. Giants were clever predators, despite their reputation for being blunt and brute-force. Why, Vraath Keep itself fell to giants long ago... there was no reason not to pick off an isolated giant if the opportunity presented itself, as it did now. That'll be one less monster preying on the travelers in the future.

Lecern will cast Shield on himself while far away, and then use a charge of Invisibility from his wand and close in with the giant stealthily.

As soon as he reaches striking distance of the giant, Lecern will initiate Burning Blade followed by a Emerald Razor with all his might (full power attack).

Attack: [roll4] (vs flatfooted touch AC)
Damage: [roll5] + [roll6] (elec) + [roll7] (fire) + 2 (extra BAB) = 38 damage

Initiative: [roll8]

AC 27, Child of Shadow active.

OMG PONIES
2011-06-07, 12:20 PM
I don't think this battle will need a map, but let me know if you want one anyway. You're in the middle of a clearing with a 60-ft diameter. I'm back from vacation and trying to update everything, so posting may be slow for another day or two.

The old giant roars and turns to face you, equally harmed and enraged. As you pierce his skin, large red sores puncture and begin to ooze. ”One of Amery’s kin coming for revenge, eh?” he booms, ”sneaking up on Old Warklegnaw while he’s eating supper? Well then, you’ll just have to be my dessert!” He smacks you over the head with his massive club, and you feel your knees go weak as you fight to move. He grabs you with his other massive arm and pulls you into a bear hug. The old giant gnashes his teeth as he squeezes you tighter and tighter. Some of his sores ooze and burst onto your skin.

Take 15 damage. Make a Fort save DC 17 or be immobilized for one round. Regardless of your Fort save, make a Grapple check (DC 33) or be grappled.

Martial Lore DC 12 to open:
Warklegnaw has initiated Stone Vise.

DM ONLY:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

ghostaxe
2011-06-07, 05:55 PM
I'm finishing up a grant due Friday, so my posting will also be irregular.

Also, could I get a quick clarification on the events?

Round 0 (surprise): Lecern attacks, initiative = 13.

Round 1: Giant wins Init, and full attacks with club and grapple (presumably with Improved Unarmed Strike, or Lecern gets a AoO). However, "a huge club sits at his side" and I assumed the situation is the same as Lecern approached. Thus, the giant needed to take a move action to grab the club, so he can either full attack with fists or attack once with club.

OMG PONIES
2011-06-08, 07:12 AM
Sorry, he's not full attacking. He's attacking once as a standard action, and he has the feat Scorpion's Grasp (which allows him to make a free grapple attempt when he hits). So his turn looks like this:

Move action: draw club while standing
Standard action: attack with club
Free action: grapple attempt (though he must drop his club)

I forgot two important things, however:

Warklegnaw provokes an AoO from Lecern when he stands from prone
I forgot to roll miss chance...stupid child of shadow

[roll0]

ghostaxe
2011-06-08, 09:28 AM
That's a nice feat! I'll remember it next time I build a grappler. Also, I made a dumb mistake last round because I forgot my BAB improved with level up. The giant actually takes 2 more damage.

Unfortunately for the giant, however, Lecern has Close-Quarters Fighting, so he gets 2 AoO (one for standing from prone, other for attempting grapple, even though it was a free action).

The following are actions in response to the giant's actions. Lecern will take his actual turn after these are resolved.

As the giant lumbers to its feet, Lecern's weapon snakes around the monster's waist and jabs into its side.

The impact of the huge club momentarily disorients Lecern, but not enough for him to forget his training, and the spiked chain curls to strike the back of the forest-dweller's neck as the latter attempts to crush Lecern in his arms.

ghostaxe
2011-06-08, 09:32 AM
Action point on second attack, if it missed: [roll0]
The damage on the second attack (24) goes as a bonus to my grapple check.

Fort save: [roll1]
Grapple: [roll2]

ghostaxe
2011-06-08, 09:37 AM
Lecern's legs feel rubbery and refuse to listen to their master's commands to move, but Lecern's mental faculties are intact. Seeing the giant thus wounded, Lecern figures that one more all-out attack will do the giant in. He focuses on his weapon, imagining the crushing power of a mountain focused on its tip.

Cast Wraithstrike.
Initiate Mountain Hammer.
Attack: [roll0] (vs touch)
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2]

OMG PONIES
2011-06-08, 01:14 PM
You can keep your action point; Warklegnaw has laughably low AC. And yeah, I love me some Scorpion’s Grasp. Of course, it doesn’t matter thanks to Close-Quarters Fighting. That’s a sneaky little feat when you know how much your DM loves grappling rules, lol.

The ancient giant falls at your feet, sending a cloud of dirt and leaves outward in all directions with a rush of wind. As he lays dying, a family of small birds emerge from his beard and fly off into the forest. You don’t find much on him except his club—which seems as though it may be too large to carry—and a ratty owlbear pelt. Meanwhile, a fresh boar roasts over the fire.

Award yourself 1,600 xp.

The Witchwood sprawls before you, quiet aside from the normal sounds of birds chirping and creatures rustling in the branches. The beaten path leads back to the Dawn Way about 4 miles East, while the forest goes on as far as you can see in all other directions. Dreenal is Northwest, on the other side of the Wyrmsmokes which have started peeking up above the treeline about 10 miles West of you. All around you, the warm light of sunset dances over the forest. It’s about to start getting dark…to start getting dangerous.

It is now dusk on Day 3.

ghostaxe
2011-06-08, 05:48 PM
So, on Day 3, Lecern did Overland travel for probably 6 hours, or 18 miles? Silly forced march rules; I think 10 hours is pretty safe though, so he'll travel for another 4 hours.

How more days will Lecern take to reach Dreenal at this rate?

Lecern cleans himself a bit to wipe off the festering pus from the giant. It wasn't the worst dousing he'd experienced, but it wasn't pleasant.

As he drinks a potion of Lesser Vigor to recover, he realizes that he's down to only 10 of those, and decides not to drink another... his body's natural metabolism will take care of the rest.

He woke late today, he could probably squeeze another 4 hours of travel before tiring out. Plenty of spells left, even if there should be more giants along the way.

OMG PONIES
2011-06-10, 09:49 AM
I’m figuring the timing is closer to 4-5 hours so far, covering about 10 miles through dense underbrush. I’d say you could cover another 10 miles (giving you another 4-5 hours) if you want to travel under cover of nightfall.

As the sun fades from view, you do some rough calculating based on the map you picked up at Horizon Sails. If you continued at this rate, following the rough path of the Dawn Way, you’d be at Dreenal in just over a week. There was the small matter of getting through the mountains, which would cut your speed in half, but once you reached the Westdeep it would be smooth sailing again.

The main decision now was whether to camp or continue on. It seemed that Warklegnaw's clearing served as a sanctuary from most of the animal life in the Witchwood. Aside from the animals nested in his beard, others seemed to stay away so as not to get eaten or trampled; it would serve as a passable campsite for the night. Also, you had heard a heaping handful of tales about the predatory creatures of the Witchwood that come out at night--some normal animals, but some enhanced as if by some foul magic.

ghostaxe
2011-06-10, 10:49 AM
Lecern weighs the possibility of attack from the wild animals of Witchwood versus the possibility of attack from another forest giant... one of this Warklegnaw's friends. That giant packed quite a punch, and things could have gotten unpleasant if Lecern hadn't finished him off right away. Animals were hardly a danger compared to giants.

One week until his new life in Dreenal; that didn't sound too bad. Maybe 6 days if he pushed himself and hurried a little.

Continuing on. (Like I'm going to sleep again after only 1 encounter :smallwink:)

OMG PONIES
2011-06-13, 10:06 AM
As you continue trekking through the forest, you notice the silhouettes of the Wyrmsmoke Mountains slightly to your left. The closer you get, the taller they loom until the forest is almost pitch-black. The low-hanging moon is hidden behind one of the tallest peaks, and its rays are blocked from reaching the forest floor. After travelling for a few miles, you begin to hear the sound of running water—gentle and far off at first, but now powerful and nearby. By consulting your map, you find that you have reached Skull Creek.

“Creek” may be a misnomer, however. The recent rainstorms throughout the Vale have brought the water levels to record highs, converting much of the surrounding woodland into thick marshes. From one side to another, the “Creek” stands about 60 feet wide, and the waters are brown and muddy as they wash through, carrying whatever stands in their way as they flow towards the Elsir in the West. You could attempt to cross, though swimming would be very difficult given the current situation. Alternatively, you could proceed East into the Wyrmsmokes or West along the treeline.

Sorry for the width, but I want there to be a solution besides Shadow Jaunt sometimes. Of course, there may still be ways to make it work. :smallbiggrin:

DM ONLY:

[roll0]
[roll1]

ghostaxe
2011-06-13, 10:33 AM
You seem to have forgotten that Lecern now has 3rd level spells... :smallwink:

Lecern considers Shadow Jaunting across, but decides that he's just short on range. Well, it seemed like a perfect time to test another one of his new spells, Fly. As he finishing incanting the magic, he feels a soft warmth fill his body. He tentatively takes a step upwards, and upon verifying that he's not falling, soon grows used to the feeling of flying, and makes it across the Creek with little trouble.

He then flies about half a mile straight up to scout out his surroundings, and drops back down to earth before his spell runs out.

5 minutes total. 1 round to cross the creek. Ascend at half speed, double move for 60 ft per round. 38 rounds of ascending = 2280 ft. 10 rounds of descending at double speed (240 ft per round) = 2400 ft.

Does Lecern see anything interesting?

OMG PONIES
2011-06-13, 02:06 PM
No, I remembered your 3rd-level spells...hence the big old smiley in my last post.

Off in the distance to the West, you see the trees recede as the ground swells up on either side of the river. About eight miles away from you, a small line crosses the span--perhaps a bridge. To your northwest, about 4 miles away, you see a clearing in the woods with what looks like some sort of large encampent or small city. At this distance, you're unable to tell what exactly the roofs are, or even how many there are--suffice to say that there are many.

ghostaxe
2011-06-14, 05:07 PM
Lecern decides that if someone wants to build a small city in the smack middle of nowhere, then it's no business of his. He'll continue traveling towards Dreenal while avoiding the small city.

OMG PONIES
2011-06-15, 06:06 AM
Your map ends as the Witchwood does. The trees thin out, replaced by large rocks jutting up towards the heavens. As you try to get your bearings, you can't shake the feeling that something or someone is watching you. You feel like an unwelcome guest in someone else's sitting room, and begin to wonder if it might be easier to double back to the Dawn Way, following its path through a possible valley in the Wyrmsmokes.

Climb and Survival checks, please. If you're inclined to be stealthy or want to look around for other creatures, please make the appropriate checks as well.

ghostaxe
2011-06-15, 11:07 AM
Survival: [roll0]
Climb: [roll1] (+2 if can use silk rope to help)

Lecern glances about himself nervously as he moves from cover to cover forward. His instincts tell him enemies might be near, and his instincts were rarely wrong. His grip fixes on his spiked chain... anyone trying to get a jump on him is going to have to go through his weapon first.

Listen:[roll2]
Spot:[roll3]
Hide:[roll4]
Move Silently:[roll5]

OMG PONIES
2011-06-20, 08:03 AM
You hear the scurrying sounds of something in the rocks around you, but can't quite see what it is. The darkness of the night is now at its fullest, and you feel the creeping desire to sleep weighing on your eyelids. What do you do?

ghostaxe
2011-06-20, 12:59 PM
Hm, I can't seem to find the rules about sleeping and fatigue in the D20 srd, but IIRC fatigue doesn't set in until 24 hours after I last sleep?

Lecern realizes that the lack of light is hindering his visual acuity, but he dare not attract attention to himself by lighting a torch. Instead, he incants, "Tel em ees eht krad" and a black sheen covers his eyes. He carefully moves toward the source of the sounds, with spiked chain in hand.

Spot: [roll0]

Activating Scout's Headband for 1 charge, get Darkvision 60' for 1 hour. Props if you figure out the incantation. :smallbiggrin:

OMG PONIES
2011-06-23, 08:18 AM
Yes, I believe you have a full 24 hours until fatigue sets in, and then another 24 until exhaustion. In regards to the incantation, ti skool yltcefrep lamron ot em. :smallbiggrin:

Even with the use of your rope, your foot scrapes against the side of one of the footholds and causes you to fall about 5 feet into a small alcove in the rocks, right towards where you heard the sound of scurrying. A humanoid figure takes shelter behind some rocks and raises both hands, showing that it is clearly unarmed. "Please!" the voice calls in the loudest whisper it can manage, "don't kill me!" As your eyes adjust to the power of your darkvision, it seems that the hands belong to a human. Large blue eyes peek out from behind the rock, clearly fearful.

ghostaxe
2011-06-24, 08:24 AM
"Oh, a human. Don't worry, I won't hurt you," After making sure there are no enemies about, Lecern takes out and lights a torch, so that he can have a better look at the man. "Good, good, I was getting pretty bored traveling out here by myself. What's your name and where are you headed? I'm Lecern, and my destination is Dreenal. If we're heading the same way, we could travel together for a bit. I know how to navigate the land pretty well."

OMG PONIES
2011-06-24, 12:36 PM
Somewhat more at ease, the man speaks at a more normal volume. "Name's Hans," he begins, "and I'm headed in much the same direction. I've heard rumors of new roads and such winding through the Wyrmsmokes, and I've come in search of them. Wouldn't much mind a travelling companion..." he places his hand on his chin and thinks for a minute. "Unless you wouldn't mind doing me a kindness?" he asks, his eyes wide and expectant.

ghostaxe
2011-06-24, 04:33 PM
Lecern grows immediately alert. It seemed unnatural for someone to ask a stranger a favor when the two have just met in the middle of nowhere. "Possibly; what is it that you would have me do? And why do you trust me to do it?"

OMG PONIES
2011-06-28, 07:48 AM
Hans smiles shyly. "If you could, I'd ask you to send word back to Drellin's Ferry that I'm still alive. My wife and children live there, and I've not seen them in some time. I don't much trust you particularly; it's just you're the only human I've seen in some time."

ghostaxe
2011-07-01, 06:00 PM
Lecern frowns. He was starting to dislike his new companion. "Then why don't you go back and tell your wife and kids that you're alive yourself? It'll take me as long as it'll take you, and I'm not wasting 4 days of round trip travel for no clear reason. Hm, actually, if you're going to be snooping around, maybe we shouldn't travel together. I'm an upstanding citizen and all."

OMG PONIES
2011-07-02, 06:11 AM
Hans flashes a wide smile. "No upstanding citizen of right mind travels through the Wyrmsmokes, friend. Especially not now. As for me, I'm commuting a sentence for some minor theft. Captain Anitah and Speaker Wiston agreed to lessen my punishment if I scouted out this area and sent back the occasional map. If I show my face in Drellin's just yet, I'll be tossed back in jail. If you go, however, my wife will be so overjoyed that she may crack open both our wine cellar and our vault in order to repay you for the good news."

His smile fades immediately. "Of course, I wouldn't want to waste your time if you're intent on keeping that appointment with death you have in the Smokes. Certainly you've seen the gobbos around? I'm guessing you veered off the Way when you saw their stranglehold on Skull Gorge. But tell me, have you seen the tent city forming on Cinder Hill? All passage to Dreenal is blocked unless you've got goblins' blood or an army to cut you a path."

I see that you haven't been on since my last update. I hope that everything is okay, and just want you to know that I would love to continue upon your return.

EDIT: Now that it's been over a month since your last activity on the site, I'll be removing these subscriptions. I seriously hope everything is okay, and that you've gone on to bigger and better things. If you want to continue both games upon your return, please PM me.