PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Eberron] Warforged Paladin... WHAT?

Apophis775
2011-02-21, 02:18 PM
So, one of the players in my group wants to be a warforged paladin.

I'm hesitant, because while it is allowed, after reading the ebberon source materials, it seems like they only allow some things to be open.

The description under warforged for everything from alignment to classes basically says "This is how they are, but there's a few that aren't"

Anyway, while I wouldn't mind using one exception, he wants to use an exception to each part of what it says they are like.

Personality: They are apathetic? No problem, He's a warforge who cares about things

Religion: None? No problem, he's a warforged that chose a god for no apparent reason than to be a paladin

Alignment: Always Neutral neutral? No problem, I'll be lawful good because some of they are.

See where I'm going?

We are a bit more roleplay than combat, and I'm thinking he wants warforged pally only because he can then heal himself as a tank instead of needing a wizard or twice as many cure spells.

He's just trying to eliminate the only "penalty" he really has for being a warforged.

What do you guys think?

LOTRfan
2011-02-21, 02:24 PM
Have you ever heard of the Godforged? Most spend their lives in the Mournland, but it is stated that some go out in the world to adventure before retiring to "birth" their god. They worship something similar to the Silver Flame, except true neutral.

Also, there have been many examples of Warforged worshiping the Sovereign Host in the Races of Eberron.

It is never stated that they are always True Neutral. Many are, but it is stated that others explore the concept of morality.

Fhaolan
2011-02-21, 02:25 PM
I'm not 100% confident about Eberron specifically. Is there something in the setting that requires paladins to be devoted to gods? Default paladins aren't.

Does the paladin lay-on-hands work on warforged? I was also under the impression that it fell under the same problems as Cure spells.

RP-wise, I can see a warforged being designed and built to be as much like an Inevitable as possible, and something twisting slightly to produce a paladin. It would be lean farther to the Lawful side than the Good side, probably.

druid91
2011-02-21, 02:27 PM
Well I'd say let him have it and see how he does.

You could be right, or he could you know... want to play a warforged paladin.

If he want's to be a paladin... Well he needs two things, LG alignment and a god.

Caring about things is quite probably something he would have learned becoming a paladin.

I really don't see what the issue is.

Angry Bob
2011-02-21, 02:30 PM
Warforged are entirely capable of being devoted to things. They aren't robots. They're living constructs. There are warforged paladin sublevels in Races of Eberron to prove it.

tuesdayscoming
2011-02-21, 02:30 PM
I might very well be wrong about this, but don't warforged require a different line of spells for healing? The 'mend' line or something of the sort?

As a dm I would allow this, but would pepper the world with reminders of just how out of the ordinary the concept is. Could make for some great roleplay opportunities if he's constantly facing discrimination and mistrust for his beliefs. The issue of warforged possessing a soul could be a major plot point, and a recurring hook you could exploit.

edit: ultra-ninja'd. That's what I get for posting from my phone

Geiger Counter
2011-02-21, 02:34 PM
hasn't anyone read races of eberron, there are warforged paladin specific replacement levels.

and no, by raw paladins do not need to worship a deity, they also do not need to be lawful good with the modified paladins in unearthed arcana.

Psyren
2011-02-21, 02:35 PM
Not only are they merely allowed to be paladins - they have entire Racial Sub levels in Races of Eberron pg. 132. Consider the combination officially sanctioned, and commonly practiced to boot.

*Shakes fist at Geiger for ninja-ness*

LOTRfan
2011-02-21, 02:37 PM
You are correct, they need special spells. Lay on Hands is from positive energy (evidenced by the fact that it harms undead), so it would only do 1/2 healing for warforged.

Waker
2011-02-21, 02:38 PM
There is no issue with a Warforged being a Paladin. As pointed out, they even have racial substitution levels in Races of Eberron.
As for roleplaying there are any number of reasons he could be a Paladin. Remember that Paladin's are chosen, they do not chose to become a Paladin. Being a creature of metal and stone, he might feel it is his duty to defend those who are susceptible to the infirmities of mortality. Rather than being an apathetic creature of Law like an Inevitable, he could be a champion of Righteousness.

Psyren
2011-02-21, 02:40 PM
You are correct, they need special spells. Lay on Hands is from positive energy (evidenced by the fact that it harms undead), so it would only do 1/2 healing for warforged.

One of the aforementioned Racial Subs lets Warforged repair constructs with their Lay on Hands ability. This "reverses the polarity" so to speak, making it function at half-effectiveness on non-constructs and undead.

Sinfonian
2011-02-21, 02:41 PM

Positive energy healing isn't what is halved by the warforged racial trait.

However, spells from the healing subschool and supernatural abilities that cure hit point damage or ability damage provide only half their effect to a warforged.

For the most part it's the same thing, but not quite. Yes, it would effect Lay on Hands, but not because it's positive energy.

Concerning the OP, I think that there's no reason that a warforged shouldn't be allowed to be a paladin. There's nothing that keeps them from being druids, but that strikes me personally as being weirder than paladin. Not only is fluff mutable, but PCs are usually supposed to be extraordinary and less bound by conventions.

Coidzor
2011-02-21, 02:43 PM
What do you guys think?

It's fine, don't worry so much.

Now, if he can't play the thing worth anything, well, that's a different issue. Paladins are, after all, tricky beasts.

You could be right, or he could you know... want to play a warforged paladin.

Even if the OP's right the character's still a reasonable character concept and there's no reason to disallow it just because "he wanted to be able to heal himself."

Cog
2011-02-21, 02:44 PM
Nope. As per Races of Eberron, Lay on Hands works just fine for a Warforged. It's Conjuration (Healing) spells that have trouble.
Whoops, my bad. I misremembered the exception; a Warforged paladin can use his Lay on Hands either way, whether they take the sub levels or not.

Psyren
2011-02-21, 02:46 PM
Nope. As per Races of Eberron, Lay on Hands works just fine for a Warforged. It's Conjuration (Healing) spells that have trouble.

It works fine only if they use the special Lay on Hands that they get from the sub levels. The normal one is half effectiveness, as Sinfonian said.

Cog
2011-02-21, 02:52 PM
It works fine only if they use the special Lay on Hands that they get from the sub levels. The normal one is half effectiveness, as Sinfonian said.
Yeah, I was wrong, and edited: there's an exception tucked away on page 23 of RoE, though.

When a warforged paladin gains the lay on hands ability, he can use that ability to repair damage or to cure wounds, as appropriate to the target.

Psyren
2011-02-21, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I was wrong, and edited: there's an exception tucked away on page 23 of RoE, though.

Weird; that's much more useful than the racial sub is. No reason to take that then!

kiryoku
2011-02-21, 02:57 PM
if i remember correctly no one needs to have a god in eberron i think it says so in faiths of eberron because evil pc and good pc can get power from the same source as if the gods did not exist and in another book it says you can make a lawful good, lawful evil, chaotic good, and chaotic evil pally if you want i think it was in unearthed arcana and it fits eberron well do to the lack of the gods interfering in day to day life.

Fox Box Socks
2011-02-21, 02:58 PM
A rather important distinction: from a purely roleplaying perspective, nobody chooses to be a Paladin in 3e. The gods choose you. The question this player should be asking is not why his character chose some random god, but by why some random god chose his character.

Also, it's worth pointing out that while alignment restrictions are somewhat lax in Eberron, the Paladin's code of conduct is still as strict as it would be in any other setting. A Cleric of the Silver Flame can cast spells with the Evil subtype and be a complete bastard with impunity. A Paladin of the Silver Flame has to hold himself to a higher standard.

Cog
2011-02-21, 03:01 PM
Weird; that's much more useful than the racial sub is. No reason to take that then!
The racial subs are useful for taking your focus off of Cha. Warforged can make a nifty, if not too powerful, Str-and-Con-only paladin.

Greenish
2011-02-21, 03:04 PM
Personality: They are apathetic?What, no, they aren't.

Religion: None?Most of them don't do religion, granted, but a significant minority does, with great zeal.

Alignment: Always Neutral neutral?Eberron doesn't have "always X" alignments. Even MMIII lists them as "usually LN".

We are a bit more roleplay than combat, and I'm thinking he wants warforged pally only because he can then heal himself as a tank instead of needing a wizard or twice as many cure spells.

He's just trying to eliminate the only "penalty" he really has for being a warforged.If he's going for paladin for perceived power, you have nothing to worry about. If he's going for it because he finds the concept cool, you have nothing to worry about.

Psyren
2011-02-21, 03:08 PM
The racial subs are useful for taking your focus off of Cha. Warforged can make a nifty, if not too powerful, Str-and-Con-only paladin.

Oh right, Durable Will and Repair Damage are the same level. And Repair Damage lets you use Con instead of Cha for LoH. Carry on :smalltongue:

Amphetryon
2011-02-21, 03:10 PM
Remember that a Warforged Paladin gets pesky penalties to relevant stats, as well. I'd say that "eliminate the only penalty" is a tad overstated.

Apophis775
2011-02-21, 03:21 PM
Then I shall let him try, but he pretty much told me the only reason he wants to be a paladin is so he can heal himself because theres no mage (no healer really either...)

Urpriest
2011-02-21, 03:22 PM
Then I shall let him try, but he pretty much told me the only reason he wants to be a paladin is so he can heal himself because theres no mage (no healer really either...)

In that case, tell him that Paladins don't have enough healing for that to work and he needs to find another solution.

Apophis775
2011-02-21, 03:24 PM
Anywhere online i can see the warforged racial info? I don't have the books with me ATM.

Prime32
2011-02-21, 03:24 PM
A rather important distinction: from a purely roleplaying perspective, nobody chooses to be a Paladin in 3e. The gods choose you. The question this player should be asking is not why his character chose some random god, but by why some random god chose his character.Except that in Eberron the gods don't have an active influence on the world and may not even exist. You can be a chaotic evil worshipper of the Silver Flame (which is the only proven deity) and still draw power from it. Likewise, Vol is not a deity despite worshippers of The Blood of Vol gaining the ability to cast divine spells. This would seem to eliminate gods going out of their way to appoint paladins.

I prefer the idea that they develop paladin powers because they're just that kind and noble. Right Makes Might (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RightMakesMight) and all that.

The Cat Goddess
2011-02-21, 03:27 PM
In that case, tell him that Paladins don't have enough healing for that to work and he needs to find another solution.

Go go Crusader-bot!

Sinfonian
2011-02-21, 03:31 PM
Go go Crusader-bot!

I should mention that since Crusader healing maneuvers are not considered supernatural, they are not affected by the warforged ability.

LOTRfan
2011-02-21, 03:34 PM
Forgive my ToB ignorance, but if the healing isn't supernatural, how does the book explain it?

Prime32
2011-02-21, 03:36 PM
Forgive my ToB ignorance, but if the healing isn't supernatural, how does the book explain it?Inspiring people to keep going.

Apophis775
2011-02-21, 03:40 PM
Except that in Eberron the gods don't have an active influence on the world and may not even exist. You can be a chaotic evil worshipper of the Silver Flame (which is the only proven deity) and still draw power from it. Likewise, Vol is not a deity despite worshippers of The Blood of Vol gaining the ability to cast divine spells. This would seem to eliminate gods going out of their way to appoint paladins.

I prefer the idea that they develop paladin powers because they're just that kind and noble. Right Makes Might (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RightMakesMight) and all that.

Ah, we are not in ebberon. I had just made the mistake of saying that players could use any of the sourcebooks we had.

I ended up with a changling spymaster
An attempt at a warforged paladin
An Artificer
And someone specing for arcane archer.

Innis Cabal
2011-02-21, 03:42 PM
Who doesn't want to play Robocop?

Cog
2011-02-21, 03:44 PM
Forgive my ToB ignorance, but if the healing isn't supernatural, how does the book explain it?
Because your drill is the drill that will pierce the heavens!

hamishspence
2011-02-21, 03:51 PM
Ah, we are not in ebberon. I had just made the mistake of saying that players could use any of the sourcebooks we had.

An Artificer

Changlings and Warforged can be justified in other settings, sometimes. Forgotten Realms, for example, had at least one nation (Ruamathar) that used armies of constructs.

Coidzor
2011-02-21, 03:56 PM

What, you want the party to be crippled even more than it would be with only a Paladin for healing? :smallconfused::smalleek:

WHY is this a problem?

Psyren
2011-02-21, 03:59 PM
Changlings and Warforged can be justified in other settings, sometimes. Forgotten Realms, for example, had at least one nation (Ruamathar) that used armies of constructs.

I always quote that workaround you used to get Warforged into FR in threads on the subject - I thought it was sheer genius. :smallsmile:

Fox Box Socks
2011-02-21, 04:11 PM
I know in 4e PoLand, Warforged are justified as living weapons created to be the elite guard of Nerath. When the royal family was slain and the capital city was sacked by gnolls, the creation forges were destroyed in the process. A Warforged there could either be over a century old, or he could have been lying dormant for a century or two before awakening.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-21, 04:14 PM
Why not? Its not like Paladins are broken. Far from it in fact. I would give the poor sap the Pathfinder Paladin, it actually can do its job.
And the idea has a certain allure just from the flavour.
"I need not food, nor sleep, nor rest.
I laugh at poison, and sneer in the face of vacuum.
Nothing but my utter destruction will steer me from my appointed course.
I am not a man, of flesh and bone,
I am more then machine, of wood and steel.
I am Justice!
I am Mercy.
I. Am. The PALADIN!
I know no fear."

Apophis775
2011-02-21, 04:17 PM
I guess i'll let him do it.

Problem is, we are doing the 3.0 adventure path (that i modified to be more 3.5 friendly) and I think he warforge might just break everything because of the dr/2 adamantium.

I did defiantly decided that eberron will NEVER make anywhere NEAR an appearance in any of my campaigns ever again.

Coidzor
2011-02-21, 04:22 PM
Problem is, we are doing the 3.0 adventure path (that i modified to be more 3.5 friendly) and I think he warforge might just break everything because of the dr/2 adamantium.

Unlikely.

I did defiantly decided that eberron will NEVER make anywhere NEAR an appearance in any of my campaigns ever again.

Now you really look like you're overreacting. Why are you reacting this way? :smallconfused:

Greenish
2011-02-21, 04:31 PM
Problem is, we are doing the 3.0 adventure path (that i modified to be more 3.5 friendly) and I think he warforge might just break everything because of the dr/2 adamantium.Meh, two points is no biggie aside from the very lowest levels, and the added survivability for a meatshield there is only welcome.

I did defiantly decided that eberron will NEVER make anywhere NEAR an appearance in any of my campaigns ever again.Looking at the character choices of your players, they would like to play Eberron. :smallamused:

What's the problem anyway?

Coidzor
2011-02-21, 04:43 PM
Anywhere online i can see the warforged racial info? I don't have the books with me ATM.

This explains their subtype. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_livingconstructsubtype&alpha=)

I don't believe they're accessible in a complete form online. Other than the subtype's limitations/benefits, the essentials are the hit to charisma and boost to, I believe, constitution, and the natural weapon in the form of a slam attack and the warforged only feats.

Amphetryon
2011-02-21, 04:49 PM
This explains their subtype. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_livingconstructsubtype&alpha=)

I don't believe they're accessible in a complete form online. Other than the subtype's limitations/benefits, the essentials are the hit to charisma and boost to, I believe, constitution, and the natural weapon in the form of a slam attack and the warforged only feats.Warforged also take a WIS hit, which makes for a double-whammy against their efficacy as Paladins without the Warforged Paladin substitution levels....

VirOath
2011-02-21, 05:14 PM
The race doesn't define the character, the alignment doesn't define the character. There is a 'norm' but the reality is no one is truly the norm. Each is unique.

Sitting there and saying "You can't play that warforged paladin because your character doesn't fit the race at all" is making the choice for him. Warforged are sentient and anything that thinks for itself gets to make it's own choices and decide how they shape the world and how the world shapes them.

Would you have a problem with an Elf or Human Barbarian that thought of himself as an Orc? If so, why?

When ever you get a kneejerk reaction, ask why instead of following it to it's extreme.

Hazzardevil
2011-02-21, 05:36 PM

Actually normal lay on hands is just fine, the ability specifically says that it halves the effectivness of conjurationspells of the healing sub-school or something, Lay on hands isn't a spell, It's a SLA or something like that.

I disagree with this, a well optimised paladin can do quite well if done right, by level 20 you can do this:

20X11, (I'm just going to presume for the purposes of this exercise the paladin has 30 charisma and taken teh hands of a healer feat.)

That equals 220 hit points spread accross the day and thats a lot. It may not be enough to use for the whole party but it takes pressure off you and other party members buying potions and wands.

I personally think that essentially gestalting paladin and crusader would certainly help keep teh party self sufficent. Just do that and you have a party member at the upper end of tier 3.

Greenish
2011-02-21, 05:39 PM
I disagree with this, a well optimised paladin can do quite well if done right, by level 20 you can do this:

20X11, (I'm just going to presume for the purposes of this exercise the paladin has 30 charisma and taken teh hands of a healer feat.)

That equals 220 hit points spread accross the day and thats a lot.No, it's not.

Half-Orc Rage
2011-02-21, 05:43 PM

An Artificer

That really doesn't sound like an unbalanced party or anything. Warforged have some nice immunities but don't really do more damage than anyone else in combat. They have a charisma penalty so that will affect the paladin abilities, and paladins aren't really powerful past level 5 anyway. I've seen warforged paladins before.

Changeling spymaster sounds like a cool character to roleplay, but isn't going to tear up the dungeon. If your setting has dopplegangers, changelings fit right in. Artificers are tier 1 so there's that, but they fit into basically any setting since everyone has magic items for sale. If they aren't played to the hilt, artificers are just another member of the party.

The players actually get to play characters they want and have fun, and it's not really an imbalanced game at all, so what's the problem? You know why your players try stuff from Eberron? Because Eberron is filled with cool stuff to play! Loosen up as a DM.

AslanCross
2011-02-21, 05:59 PM
So, one of the players in my group wants to be a warforged paladin.

Personality: They are apathetic? No problem, He's a warforge who cares about things

As the warforged strive to find a place in society for themselves after the Last War, they simultaneously struggle to find ways to relate to the races that created them. In general, the humanoid races of Khorvaire regard the warforged as an unpleasant reminder of the brutality of the last War...

The warforged try to relate to other races. They have difficulty understanding most society, but many of them try their best. They are NOT apathetic. They were never depicted as such, not in the ECS, nor in Races of Eberron.

Religion: None? No problem, he's a warforged that chose a god for no apparent reason than to be a paladin

The rare warforged who takes up a paladin's path likely follows no deity. With no assurance of divinity or even the existence of their own souls, warforged often follow a simple faith of good will.

Just as most warforged are not inclined to align themselves with any particular moral or ethical philosophy, few show much interest in religion. Some warforged have found a kind of answer to the questions of their existence by taking up the cause of one religion or another, but these remain a small (if rather vocal) minority among their kind.

It's entirely possible for warforged to be religious, and those that do become religious are usually quite passionate, as they feel it answers their needs---the need to belong, the need for purpose, the need for answers to questions of origin and destiny. It is highly likely that a religious warforged could certainly end up a paladin. Warforged are not rendered atheistic by their brain construction. They were deliberately not exposed to religion so that House Cannith could sell them to any affiliation. They are certainly capable of taking up religious causes.

Alignment: Always Neutral neutral? No problem, I'll be lawful good because some of they are.

Alignment Warforged are generally neutral. They were built to fight, not to wonder whether fighting is right. Though they are perfectly capable of independent thought and moral speculation, most choose not to wrestle with ethical ideas.

If there is ANY setting that allows unorthodox character concepts (Benevolent orc druids! Honorable and kind hobgoblins! Vicious headhunter elves! Noble but wild halfling barbarians!), it's Eberron. Give the guy a break.

EDIT: Only saw now that you're not using Eberron. That actually gives him less of a reason to stick to the fluff in the Eberron books. Let him play it.

Coidzor
2011-02-21, 06:09 PM
Changeling spymaster sounds like a cool character to roleplay, but isn't going to tear up the dungeon. If your setting has dopplegangers, changelings fit right in. Artificers are tier 1 so there's that, but they fit into basically any setting since everyone has magic items for sale. If they aren't played to the hilt, artificers are just another member of the party.

It's also quite difficult to play an Artificer at that level due to depending so much upon the time span of the campaign and variable effects and knowing what items to make/have. So there's a difficulty curve at least that's a bit more so than most classes.

cupkeyk
2011-02-21, 06:11 PM
Warforged are not described as apathetic, they just don't process emotions the same way. It takes more to make them laugh but they will laugh louder than anyone else. Maybe stoic, but not even that.

Considering some blue dragons are good in eberron and some gold are evil, the "always" part of any monster entry is waived for Eberron.

Lastly, paladins aren't that great as classes go, I am not sure of their tier but any bump they can get to help them out won't be game breaking. Take note that although the Treaty of Thronehold makes warforged citizens by law, they will still be met with prejudice and fear by most citizens.

Prime32
2011-02-21, 06:24 PM
If you still find the idea of a warforged paladin incomprehensible...
http://membres.multimania.fr/m442/TealC%2005.jpg

Psyren
2011-02-21, 06:27 PM

They're closer to Kalashtar than Warforged :smalltongue:

Prime32
2011-02-21, 06:28 PM
They're closer to Kalashtar than Warforged :smalltongue:Technically the kalashtar are the Tok'ra. :smallwink: But in personality terms Teal'c seems pretty close to what a warforged paladin might act like.

cupkeyk
2011-02-21, 06:29 PM
Technically the kalashtar are the Tok'ra. :smallwink: But in personality terms Teal'c seems pretty close to what a warforged paladin might act like.

I have no idea what that is but he has a ghulra. There are flesh warforged, like Lei d'Cannith. So that's a flesh warforged.

Engine
2011-02-21, 06:34 PM
Warforged isn't a gamebreaking race, Paladin isn't a gamebreaking class.
Maybe the player just want to be good at healing himself, the Paladin anyway has so many weaknesses that you'll have plenty to use. Let him play his character without too much worries, I would be more worried if he said he wants to play a Warforged Cleric or a Warforged Wizard or a Warforged Artificier.

Adrayll
2011-02-21, 06:38 PM
To steal from the good folks at games workshop:

They shall be my finest warriors, these men who give of themselves to me. Like clay I shall mould them, and in the furnace of war forge them. They will be of iron will and steely muscle. In great armour shall I clad them and with the mightiest weapons will they be armed. They will be untouched by plague or disease, no sickness will blight them. They will have tactics and strategies so that no foe can best them in battle. They are my bulwark against the Terror. They are the Defenders of the World. They are the Warforged and they shall know no fear.

ShadowFighter15
2011-02-22, 01:13 AM
To steal from the good folks at games workshop:

They shall be my finest warriors, these men who give of themselves to me. Like clay I shall mould them, and in the furnace of war forge them. They will be of iron will and steely muscle. In great armour shall I clad them and with the mightiest weapons will they be armed. They will be untouched by plague or disease, no sickness will blight them. They will have tactics and strategies so that no foe can best them in battle. They are my bulwark against the Terror. They are the Defenders of the World. They are the Warforged and they shall know no fear.

Damnit; now I want to work out a campaign setting where there's a whole paladin order of Warforged, who were originally created through divine inspiration.

@Apophis: I don't see why you're having such a reaction to Eberron. Yes, the setting is very different from the norm, but not in an overpowered way (with the exception of the Artificer, but I think there was an FAQ ruling* that cut down on the broken-ness). Hell, it sounds like your players would love the setting - they already seem to like the races and such from it - so why not try an Eberron adventure or two someday and see how it goes?

Daftendirekt
2011-02-22, 01:39 AM
I always quote that workaround you used to get Warforged into FR in threads on the subject - I thought it was sheer genius. :smallsmile:

Our Faerun current campaign has one Warforged in it. He started off as a PC, but became DMPC when we switched DMs (I tried my hand at DMing, didn't care for it, etc). Spoilered for length:

Here's how he came into existence. My character from a previous campaign, a 1000 year old LG sun elf Olin Gisir (LEoF, look it up, cool class flavor-wise, decent mechanically) needed some help guarding all those ancient artifacts and sites of power. So, he made himself a golem. So far, so good. But, damn, this guy was old. I mean OLD. He knew he was going to croak soon. So, he made himself into a good lich so that he could continue his duties.

He used the golem as his phylactery, figuring it was far more durable than a piece of jewelry or a box of scrolls. What he never foresaw was the effect that having a mortal soul inside the golem would have on it. Over the next 50 years, the golem slowly gained sentience, even developing a personality. Once the elf realized this, he taught the golem (Atlas was his name now) of the world. Atlas, spending so much of his time around items of power, decided to delve into the field himself, thus becoming an Artificer. Then, realizing that keeping Atlas as his guard at this juncture was akin to slavery, the elf let him go into the world to make of himself what he would.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-22, 02:02 AM
And if you really, really find this concept head breaking take a look at the Wizard of the Coast character portrait galleries (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pc/20050420a).

Greenish
2011-02-22, 05:37 AM
Our Faerun current campaign has one Warforged in it. He started off as a PC, but became DMPC when we switched DMs (I tried my hand at DMing, didn't care for it, etc). Spoilered for length:

Here's how he came into existence. My character from a previous campaign, a 1000 year old LG sun elf Olin Gisir (LEoF, look it up, cool class flavor-wise, decent mechanically) needed some help guarding all those ancient artifacts and sites of power. So, he made himself a golem. So far, so good. But, damn, this guy was old. I mean OLD. He knew he was going to croak soon. So, he made himself into a good lich so that he could continue his duties.

He used the golem as his phylactery, figuring it was far more durable than a piece of jewelry or a box of scrolls. What he never foresaw was the effect that having a mortal soul inside the golem would have on it. Over the next 50 years, the golem slowly gained sentience, even developing a personality. Once the elf realized this, he taught the golem (Atlas was his name now) of the world. Atlas, spending so much of his time around items of power, decided to delve into the field himself, thus becoming an Artificer. Then, realizing that keeping Atlas as his guard at this juncture was akin to slavery, the elf let him go into the world to make of himself what he would. Ooh, a plot reason for a powerful NPC caster to make sure you stay alive. :smallwink:

Daftendirekt
2011-02-22, 07:54 AM
Nah, we were just thinking of cool stories for our characters. As I said, the warforged is the DMPC now, and he basically just disappears most of the time. He's just our magic item vendor. He either gets to guard the wagons (our halfling bard/monk is also a merchant), or is at the library/alchemist literally constantly when we're in a city, learning more of the world/his trade.