PDA

View Full Version : Ooze Companion

Desril
2011-02-21, 02:33 PM
I'm currently GMing a campaign and one of my players is a druid and wants to make a prestige class that essentially allows him to have an ooze instead of an animal companion. He also wants to be able to create Living Spells. Personally, I don't have a problem with it, it makes sense from an in character perspective, but what I'm asking the Playground is: Would this be horribly broken, or more or less balanced?

Shadowleaf
2011-02-21, 02:36 PM
It wouldn't be. The Living Spells are far more overpowered than an Ooze companion.

Waker
2011-02-21, 02:45 PM
Your player might want to look at the Spell Sovereign from Dragon 357. You might want to waive the advancing only Arcane spellcasting through, since the class doesn't require arcane spells specifically to get into the class.

OracleofWuffing
2011-02-21, 03:24 PM
While I'm generally inclined to agree with the too-strong view of things, it does depend a bit on what kind of living spell you're using and how you play it. A living Cure Moderate Wounds sounds pretty handy, until you realize Oozes aren't good at distinguishing friends from foes and you're not fighting zombies. Likewise, Shocking Grasp versus Shambling Mounds.

There was actually a topic a while back about using Leadership to recruit an Ooze for the same thing... I'd eyeballed the price of a CR 3 Living spell around 30-35K there, but that assumes you'd be manually controlling it with an amulet of Ooze Riding (Arms and Equipment). Controlling one like an Animal Companion would make it much stronger.

Arceius
2011-02-21, 05:09 PM
Halooo~! Player in question reporting in. I've actually created a variant of the Lord of Beasts class (Masters of the Wild / Complete Divine) made specifically for oozes. I toned down all of the abilities. I also created a variant Ooze that absorbs spells and becomes similar to a living spell where all references to "Caster Level" have just been replaced with "Spell Level" so they're significantly weaker. I happen to agree with you all. A Living Spell army, even one with three or four, would be a wee bit out of hand and near game breaking. Those things are beasts.

cupkeyk
2011-02-21, 05:39 PM
I once had a bard who captured an ooze with ooze puppet from spell compendium. It's a 24 hour duration sixth level spell, so i need only cast it again the next day before the last one expired. The ooze I caught was a Living Cure Moderate Wounds. We just patted the ooze after combat to heal to full. It also fed itself on undead, which is very useful. It became such a nifty tactic that I captured a bunch of other oozes, including a huge one made of liquid bone. Not very useful but an impressive, intimidating mount when we enter combat.

Fearan
2011-02-21, 05:49 PM
There is an ooze-related PrC in BoVD. Disciple of Jubilex, if i remember correctly

Katana_Geldar
2011-02-21, 05:51 PM
In 4E, wizards are allowed to have a baby gelatinous cube as a familiar.

cupkeyk
2011-02-21, 06:00 PM

Bonus points if you cast familiar mount on it. Since its naturally invisible and grants you acid resistance, you can swim in your ooze familiar for the lolz.

ClockShock
2011-02-21, 06:24 PM

I want one :smalleek:

Pvt_Idiot
2011-03-09, 05:25 PM
Along these lines but reversed, I have a warforged artificer who just picked up the familiar ooze. He plans on transfering all of his mind to the ooze instead of just a fragment.
"A Piece of Mind: Instead of an independent spirit, your familiar is a fragment of your own mind..."(dragon 374 - Familiar backstory)

For when the ooze is in passive mode, he has hallowed out a portion of his chest, not unkin to a giant mecca.

Wondering options on feasability? and if acceptable, what limitations would be put on?

Darth Stabber
2011-03-09, 05:32 PM

Unspeakably awesome. I would name him Cosby.

Prime32
2011-03-09, 05:36 PM
In 4E, wizards are allowed to have a baby gelatinous cube as a familiar.That's adorable.

randomhero00
2011-03-09, 05:39 PM
I think it'd be funny. Have one of the other characters eat it as jello...

Katana_Geldar
2011-03-09, 06:22 PM
That's it, I'm rolling one up for a game.