PDA

View Full Version : Purifier (or "detonator", as you like it) [3.5 Item]

Land Outcast
2011-02-21, 02:44 PM
Simple warfare version:Purifier: This tiny metal cube has a spike on one side and a small hole on the opposite side. Whoever places a drop of his blood in the hole is recognized as the "activator" by the item.
When the activator commands it, regardless of distance, the purifier activates, blowing up: everything in a cylinder 10 feet in radius, and 40 feet in height receives 11d6 damage (Reflex 19 for half damage). Half the damage is fire damage, but the other half results directly from divine power and is therefore not subject to being reduced by resistance to fire-based attacks.
The purifier is destroyed.
Should the purifier be in other plane than the activator, there is a 5% chance it does not receive the activation signal.
Moderate evocation; CL 11th; Craft wondrous item, heighten spell, flame strike, sending; Price 5,400 gp.

Single use, use-activated wondrous item with multiple different abilities.
Heightened Flame strike: CL 11*Spell6*50 = 3300 gp
Sending: (CL 7*Spell4*50)*1.5 = 2100 gp

It is at the same price of a Necklace of Fireballs Type IV (8d6/6d6x2/4d6x2/2d6x4)

Greater warfare version:Purifier: This tiny metal cube has a spike on one side and a small hole on the opposite side. Whoever places a drop of his blood in the hole is recognized as the "activator" by the item.
When the activator commands it, regardless of distance, the purifier activates, blowing up: everything in a cylinder 20 feet in radius, and 80 feet in height receives 15d6 damage (Reflex 19 for half damage). Half the damage is fire damage, but the other half results directly from divine power and is therefore not subject to being reduced by resistance to fire-based attacks.
The purifier is destroyed.
Should the purifier be in other plane than the activator, there is a 5% chance it does not receive the activation signal.
Moderate evocation; CL 15th; Craft wondrous item, widen spell, flame strike, sending; Price 8,100 gp.

Single use, use-activated wondrous item with multiple different abilities.
Widened Flame strike: CL 15*Spell8*50 = 6000 gp
Sending: (CL 7*Spell4*50)*1.5 = 2100 gp

Did it just for fun, any critiques are welcome.

Re'ozul
2011-02-21, 03:01 PM
The any time any place thing is too powerful.
At least the any place one. Since you can hide them anywhere you want and then have them detonate whenever it works for you.

Examples:
kill wildlife, stuff several of these inside, wait for giants to come pick it up. activate. Any strategy like that would work easily.

Problems I could see: How do you know that the guy who sold you these didn't already avtivate them? (Unless new blood overwrites old?)

I could see the greater version as a TPK revenge thing. Everyone is dying and you have managed to strap 8 of those to yourself. Your last action is to activate them.

If the spike and the hole have the same shape, activate and glue several of them together to for a staff. Then create a rumor that you have that staff and are fatalistic. See if anyone wants to engage you in melee now.

Land Outcast
2011-02-21, 03:23 PM
The any time any place thing is too powerful.
At least the any place one. Since you can hide them anywhere you want and then have them detonate whenever it works for you. Yep... though I can see them restricted by the DM so that the party gets one at most. Or maybe more but with a particular objective in mind. (Barring that: it is like a remote bomb, yep, those things are nasty indeed, and -I agree- far too powerful to have around freely).

Thing is, if line of sight were required it would considerably miss the point of the item and turn it into a grenade, and almost any distance -even to the range of flame strike 210/260 feet- would have a similar effect (without the fancy bonus of being far away and make an explosion down in the valley).

Still, any idea to make it more viable?

Problems I could see: How do you know that the guy who sold you these didn't already avtivate them? (Unless new blood overwrites old?) I like how you think. Perhaps a disable device check DC 30 (31 for the greater version) could reset the "activator" choice.

I could see the greater version as a TPK revenge thing. Everyone is dying and you have managed to strap 8 of those to yourself. Your last action is to activate them.
http://www.alicia-logic.com/capsimages/5e_066MangaloreEyebrow.jpg