PDA

View Full Version : minor items

Geiger Counter
2011-02-21, 03:10 PM
okay first what would be the cost of a lighter, what about a lighter that magically has enough fuel to last a few months with continuous use.

same question but with a flashlight? a watch?

what about a compass? what bonus to survival checks would you give someone possessing one of these?

RndmNumGen
2011-02-21, 03:16 PM
Are you talking about D&D 3.5 or something else? I don't think they have (m)any of those in 3.5... however, Tindertwigs are essentially matches which could be used to light things and cost 1 gp each, while a magical item that could be used as a lighter would have to be custom-made, and likely cost around 2,000gp.

A bullseye lantern is the closest thing to a flashlight that you would find, I think. Watches... well, no idea on those.

A compass would probably just be a lodestone. I would put it at 1gp, gives a +4 bonus on survival checks to get un-lost.

Geiger Counter
2011-02-21, 03:20 PM
yes it's 3.5 and I like magitek

Amnestic
2011-02-21, 03:27 PM
An Hourglass in the PHB runs you 25gp. Bulk it up with minor magic and miniaturise it...I'd say 200-300gp is not an unreasonable price for a watch. There's the Water Clock for 1000gp, but that's made for extravagance rather than function.

sonofzeal
2011-02-21, 03:29 PM
Everburning torch: 110 gp

Use-activated item of Know Direction: 0.5*1*1800 = 900 gp, and for a 100 gp markup I'd let it take a form that combines with a sundial to tell you the time, assuming you're within the same geographic region it was made. Double the price if you want it to work everywhere.

nedz
2011-02-21, 03:29 PM
Lighter:
Wand of Produce Flame - 50 charges 750gp
You ought to be able to do this with a cantrip for half this price, but its still a little pricey.

Torch:
Wand of Light 375gp
But a continual flame inside a lantern is a lot cheaper and lasts longer.
NPC spellcasting from the DMG gives a price of 60gp for CL3

Watches:
No requirement.

Expensive compasses can be made with Locate Object/Locate City/etc. objects, but a loadstone is cheap.

Dreadn4ught
2011-02-21, 03:38 PM
To make a lighter, you could put a small everburning torch into a metal case with a lid. The torch doesn't cause any heat.

To make a flashlight, you could have a permanent light spell inside a bullseye lantern.

A watch could be a water clock except with magic, allowing it to function without water and be more accurate.

Greenish
2011-02-21, 03:47 PM
Lighter:
Wand of Produce Flame - 50 charges 750gp
You ought to be able to do this with a cantrip for half this price, but its still a little pricey.Prestidigitation (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20010707). It's 3.0, but I don't see most DMs forbidding those uses.

By the guidelines, a use-activated (not spell-trigger), 50 uses, nonslotted item, ie. a lighter, would cost 0.5x1x2000x1.5x0.5= 750gp.

[Edit]:
To make a lighter, you could put a small everburning torch into a metal case with a lid. The torch doesn't cause any heat.How do you lit anything with that?

Geiger Counter
2011-02-21, 04:24 PM
okay what about a camera?

Asheram
2011-02-21, 05:11 PM
Pocketwatches can be found in Ravenloft for 1000gp.
Masterwork for the double.

ericgrau
2011-02-21, 07:08 PM
okay first what would be the cost of a lighter, what about a lighter that magically has enough fuel to last a few months with continuous use.

same question but with a flashlight? a watch?

what about a compass? what bonus to survival checks would you give someone possessing one of these?

The guideline for pricing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm) such things is spell level x caster x 2000 gp if the spell's duration is normally 1 hour / level. More if shorter, less if 24 hours or more.

Lighter: Produce Flame, 4,000 gp. 1d6+1 fire damage (handheld endless flame). or Prestidigitation, <1,000 gp, no damage but can start fires. IMO 500 gp or less is fair because it's so limited compared to prestidigitation. Probably 50 gp, the cost of 50 tindertwigs.

Flashlight: continual flame with a mirror behind it, 110 gp, 60' range (120' range dim light).

Compass: Know Direction, 2,000 gp. But come on compasses aren't high tech. Try a few gp for a real compass. He wouldn't get any bonus to most survival checks but he'd auto pass checks to go the right direction without rolling.

Watch: More difficult because the system doesn't have a way to hand this. In fact a water clock is 1,000 gp and weighs 200 lbs. Also a difficult thing with low tech without magic, unless you don't mind being inaccurate. A water clock in a handy haversack is 3,000 gp so... somewhere between 1,000 gp and 3,000 gp is fair IMO for scientific precision. For rough time of day I'd price it similar to the above items: double or triple digit gp for a spring loaded windup watch or mechanically geared but with magical power and no windup. It would be within a few minutes the first day but get more and more off as days went on. Pendulum clocks would be more accurate but not if moved.

UserClone
2011-02-22, 10:39 AM
For the lighter, just make a use-activated at-will item of prestidigitation, with only the firefinger function, so halve the price.

Gnoman
2011-02-22, 10:41 AM
Why use magic at all? Just combine alchemists fire with a striker.

Asheram
2011-02-22, 11:06 AM
Aaargh.. I remember this from somewhere. I know there is a small metal box with a Continual Flame in it which provides heat. Somewhere in the books or on wizards homepage.
It even had a small story about it how a wizard was getting tired about a group of adventurers complaining that they had difficulties creating fires in dungeons.

UserClone
2011-02-22, 11:46 AM
Why use magic at all? Just combine alchemists fire with a striker.

Because the OP specifically said he wants magitech solutions to these items.

Asheram
2011-02-22, 11:53 AM
Alright. this Is a magic item for this.
Stove of Everlasting flame. 2.400gp. Arms and equipment p137

If you Don't want magic, there's the Sparker on page 25. It works ten times before it has to be replaced and is esentially the same as one of those you use to start a flame when welding something.