PDA

View Full Version : Help needed for clues in an elemental puzzle dungeon.

valadil
2011-02-21, 03:11 PM
Alright, so I don't do a lot of dungeons. I think that sticking your players in a hole for 3 months is an awesome way for them to forget the plot of the game. But I'm trying very hard to go against the grain of my old habits, so I've put them in a dungeon.

And now I don't really know what to do.

I'm not going to use spoiler tags, but if any of my players see this, please keep out. You know who you are.

This dungeon is a big extraplanar lock. It must be bypassed to enter the vault and retrieve the MacGuffin. It has a section on each of 8 planes. The sections are similar in layout but not identical because that would be boring. Each plane has a switch to activate. When the right switches are thrown in the right order, the vault in the middle opens up. Straightforward, no?

There are two puzzles to figure out. What switches to throw and what order to throw them in.

Now, I don't want to go with the standard riddle. I've never liked riddles in this context. It doesn't make sense that the bad guys with seemingly limitless resources would design a vault for their treasure and let anyone in if they could solve the riddle. Instead, what I would like to do is have a series of seemingly innocuous clues left out in the open. Individually they don't really mean much, but together they'll solve the puzzle.

I think most of the clues will come from how the bad guys enter the vault themselves. It's rather hazardous so they send slaves to throw the switches. There will be a few escaped slaves hiding throughout the place. They'll have some information, but not much.

For instance one of the slaves escaped on the plane of water. He doesn't know anything else about the dungeon, but he knows that when the bad guys come looking for him, they pass his area twice before returning for a more thorough search. In actuality they couldn't care less about him, the clue is that they have to hit a switch on either side of this room and then hit this one. This also implies that this room isn't first or second.

On another plane there's a group of pirates who are also trying to break in. They claim to know the final element, but haven't figured out any of the rest. They'll offer to split the treasure with the PCs if the PCs can find the rest. If the PCs want to read into it, the pirates are likely camping out the last room themselves waiting to jump whomever knows the sequence and is unlocking the vault. If the PCs make that assumption, they'd be correct.

Unfortunately that's all I've got for clues. I'd like to include some more that depend more on the elements themselves and not just their positions. I've drawn a blank on this one for months though, and game is on friday. So far they've only been to one of the planes, but I really should drop some real clues for them this week.

The planes I'm using are fire, acid, cold, poison, necrotic, lightning, psychic, earth, and water. Technically those are 4e damage types instead of planes (except for water, but that made for a more interesting dungeon than thunder). They loop, so you can go straight from water to fire.

I should also point out that throwing the wrong switch and resting will cause respawns. Some amount of brute force may be necessary to get through the puzzle, but I don't want the PCs relying on it from the beginning.

Elric VIII
2011-02-21, 03:59 PM
Marks of the planar effects on various bodies lying around could point the direction to the right switches. Maybe on the plane of fire they find a burnt corpse in the middle of the room and by observing the location of the burns they could tell which switch triggered a trap (presumably this is the switch that the BBEG wants to keep people away from). Now the players have to figure out if the right switch is trapped or if pulling the wrong switch triggers a trap.

EDIT:
For the cold plane, the correct switch could be the one that has the least frost built on it. It has been used more times than the others, so the ice has been boken and hasn't had as much time to reform.

The acid plane could have someone dying tell them which switch to use (then dies), but when they use it, the switch breaks from the corrosion. This will confront them with the option of saying that the dying person must have been wrong or, if they believe he was right, they are faced with repairing the switch.

Apophis775
2011-02-21, 04:04 PM
The frog puzzle from the book of challenges could be a nice room.

Or, making a room that slowly fills with water when a trap is triggered.

valadil
2011-02-21, 05:26 PM
EDIT:
For the cold plane, the correct switch could be the one that has the least frost built on it. It has been used more times than the others, so the ice has been boken and hasn't had as much time to reform.

I think I mis-explained. There's one switch per room. The players have to figure out which rooms to activate. It's a question of figuring out which rooms to use and which to skip.

I do like the idea of leftover bodies though. I won't do anything so blunt as putting a scorched body in the fire room by the switch. What I'm thinking is that in the necrotic room, where zombies and skeletons roam free, the various undead will all be former slaves from the other rooms and they'll bear elemental scars if the players care to look. That will give away a lot of floors, but tells nothing about the order.

ClockShock
2011-02-21, 06:05 PM
How smart are your players? This sounds like a sweet idea that could quickly die if the players don't latch on.
Might i suggest that they are clued into the basic layout of the dungeon if they haven't already - and by this i mean they should probably know that there are a handful of planes that link up in some way to unlock the middle.

Anyway. I was linked to the Three Clue Rule earlier today so feel obliged to pass it on:
http://www.thealexandrian.net/creations/misc/three-clue-rule.html

Of course only you know how smart your players are - so use the above if/where appropriate

Adding to the slaves and planar effects. One slave might notice that the bad guys are unusally wet/dry/smoking/unused to sunlight when they first arrive (suggesting where they've been) or that they make some measure against cold/water/fire/undead before they leave (suggesting where they are going)
Alternatively the slave could point to which direction they came from or left in...

Perhaps being in one room leaves an effect on the entrant so they can't safely enter another one (or the inverse of course: in your example order the only safe way to reach fire might be from water)

(oh, and for the record, you explained just fine)

valadil
2011-02-21, 06:15 PM
How smart are your players? This sounds like a sweet idea that could quickly die if the players don't latch on.
Might i suggest that they are clued into the basic layout of the dungeon if they haven't already - and by this i mean they should probably know that there are a handful of planes that link up in some way to unlock the middle.

IMO, pretty damn smart. When I do open ended puzzles I don't even bother coming up with my own solution. I just let them go their way because they'll each think of multiple solutions that are better than my own. I haven't done too many closed solution puzzles with them though, so we'll see how this goes. At any rate I think that if they're struggling I can throw in more clues as they keep going.

In this case, I plan on telling the rogue that the nature of what they're doing reminds him of the cylinders of a lock. I structured them in a round manner to help with this. Actually the whole idea of the dungeon was originally a gargantuan lock that they'd have to pick by venturing into it.

Anyway. I was linked to the Three Clue Rule earlier today so feel obliged to pass it on:
http://www.thealexandrian.net/creations/misc/three-clue-rule.html

Three Clue Rule is fantastic. I'm familiar with it, but it's always worth a read.
[/QUOTE]