PDA

View Full Version : The Monarch of Spite [3.5 Prestige Class, P.E.A.C.H!]

TheGeckoKing
2011-02-21, 03:19 PM
The Monarch of Spite

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu89/Gecko-King/MonarchofSpitepic.jpg
I hate, therefore I exist. I exist, therefore you suffer. You suffer, therefore I am pleased. - Lord Skyshadow, a Necropolitan Monarch of Spite.

Many adventurers meet things in their life that they do not like, because adventurers are normally payed to deal with them. However, once in a blue moon, they will meet something they they loathe. And the more they get to know it, the more they loathe it. The hate and spite and malice they feel changes them, fuels arcane spells of horror, bolsters their vengeful strikes, and changes them beyond what they once were. They are the Monarchs of Spite, and their hatred knows no bounds.

Becoming a Monarch of Spite
One becomes a Monarch of Spite out of hate. Not simple hate like what fuels Paladins of Slaughter, or the mediocre hate that Clerics use, but unadulterated hate of the purest kind, hate that would frighten even the vilest of gods. Only the strongest can become Monarchs of Spite, as the weak simply buckle under the pressure and either die a pathetic death, or are dissolved by their own hate. But those that are strong enough to channel their hate use it to become unlike any other.

Entry Requirements
Alignment: Any Evil
Skills: Intimidate 13 Ranks
BAB: +7 or higher
Special: Must have an object of their hatred, something that could be destroyed, no matter how impossible it seems.

Class Skills
The Class Name's class skills are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Ride (Dex), and Spellcraft (Int)
Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + Int Mod

Hit Dice: d10

{table=head]Level|BaB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Spells of Spite, Path of Hate

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Monarch's Wrath 1/encounter

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Breath of Hatred

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Monarch's Wrath 2/encounter

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Wings of Spite

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Monarch's Wrath 3/encounter

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Weapons of Spite

8th|
+6|
+6|
+2|
+6|Monarch's Wrath 4/encounter

9th|
+6|
+6|
+3|
+6|Drowning Hate

10th|
+7|
+7|
+3|
+7|Hate Changes You, Monarch's Wrath 5/encounter[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: A Monarch of Spite gains proficiency with one Exotic Weapon of their choice.

Spells of Spite(Su): The Monarch of Spite can cast a small amount of Arcane spells, powered by their ever-present hate. To cast a Monarch of Spite spell, he must have a Charisma score of at least 10 + the spell’s level, so if he has a Charisma of 10 or lower, he cannot cast these spells. Bonus spells are based on Charisma (He only gains bonus spells for levels he can already cast), and saving throws against these spells have a DC of 10 + spell level*2 + his Cha modifier. A Monarch of Spite automatically knows all spells on his spell list, and so is only limited by their Spells per Day. The caster levels for these spells is equal to double the levels in Monarch of Spite the Monarch has, and the Monarch of Spite does not suffer the Arcane Spell Failure Chance that normal spellcasters would while casting spells granted by this class.

{table=head]Level|1st|2nd|3rd|4th
1st|2|-|-|-
2nd|3|-|-|-
3rd|4|1|-|-
4th|4|2|-|-
5th|4|3|-|-
6th|4|4|1|-
7th|4|4|2|-
8th|4|4|3|-
9th|4|4|4|1
10th|4|4|4|2[/table]

Monarch of Spite Spell List:
1st - Repulsion, Acid Fog, True Seeing, Shadow Walk, Mislead, Eyebite.
2nd - Blasphemy, Destruction, Insanity, Power Word Blind, Finger of Death
3rd - Antipathy, Trap the Soul, Symbol of Insanity, Power Word Stun, Horrid Wilting, Shout (Greater).
4th - Imprisonment, Implosion, Power Word Kill, Weird, Energy Drain, Wail of the Banshee.

Path of Hate (Su) There are many ways a person is lead down the path of hate, hate so deep he feeds of it, and thus there are many outcomes to this. At 1st level, the Monarch of Spite chooses one of these abilities. Once chosen, these cannot be changed. The ability chosen can be activated as a free action a number of times equal to the Monarch of Spite's Cha Modifier, and last for a number of rounds equal to the Monarch of Spite's class levels.

Acidic Spite: All melee attacks the Monarch of Spite makes deal extra points of acid damage equal to the Monarch of Spite's class level, times 3. Also, the target of a Monarch of Spite's melee attacks must make a Fort Save (DC: Monarch of Spite levels + Cha Mod), or be blinded for two turns.

Burning Hate: All melee attacks the Monarch of Spite makes deal extra points of fire damage equal to the Monarch of Spite's class level, times 3. Also, the target of a melee attack made by the Monarch of Spite must make a Ref Save (DC: Monarch of Spite levels + Cha Mod), or catch on fire (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_catchingonfire&alpha=).

Cold Fury: All melee attacks made by the Monarch of Spite deal extra points of cold damage equal to the Monarch of Spite's class levels, times 3. Also, the target of a melee attack made by the Monarch of Spite must make a Fort save (DC: Monarch of Spite Levels + Cha Mod) or be stunned for one turn.

Thundering Wrath: All melee attacks made by the Monarch of Spite deal extra electricity damage equal to the Monarch of Spite's class levels, times 3. Also, the target of a melee attack made by the Monarch of Spite must make a Ref Save (DC: Monarch of Spite levels + Cha Mod) or be Dazed for one turn.

Screaming Horror: All melee attacks made by the Monarch of Spite deal extra sonic damage equal to the Monarch of Spite's class levels, times 2. Also, the target of a melee attack made by the Monarch of Spite must make a Will Save (DC: Monarch of Spite levels + Cha Mod) or be Shaken for one turn.

Monarch's Wrath(Ex): A Monarch of Spite can shatter their foes with the hatred that fuels their soul. When a Monarch of Spite makes a melee attack or casts a spell, they may elect to use this ability before the attack roll is made. It the spell/attack does hit, it also deals untyped damage equal to triple the Monarch of Spite's class levels.
A Monarch of Spite can use this class ability once per encounter at level 2, and an additional time per every two levels they have beyond level 2.

Breath of Hatred: At 3rd level, the Monarch of Spite literally breaths out hatred from their soul. They gain a primary Breath Attack that deals 1d6 damage per Monarch of Spite levels in a 60ft line. The breath attack has a Reflex Save to halve the damage, with a DC equal to the Monarch of Spite's Class Levels + 10 + their Cha Mod. The damage's type is the same type as the damage dealt by their Path of Hate ability.

Wings of Spite: At 5th level, the Monarch of Spite's hatred grows stronger, and changes their soul and flesh forever. The Monarch of Spite gains a flight speed of 60ft (Poor), or their existing Flight Speed increases by 60ft.

Weapons of Spite: At 7th level, the Monarch of Spite can channel their wrath with every blow. Every melee attack the Monarch of Spite makes is treated as having the following enhancement, depending on which path the Monarch of Spite chose for their Path of Hate;

Acidic Spite: Wounding
Burning Hate: Flaming Burst
Cold Fury: Icy Burst
Thundering Wrath: Shocking Burst
Screaming Horror: Thundering

Drowning Hate(Su): At 9th level, the Monarch of Spite can collect all of their hate and drown their enemies in the heartrending horror. Once per encounter, the Monarch of Spite can activate this ability as a free action. If the the Monarch of Spite does, everyone within 60ft of the Monarch of Spite feels the crushing energies of pure hatred, and must immediately make a DC 25 Constitution Check or be reduced to 0HP. If they fail that check, next turn they must make another Constitution Check (DC 20) or be reduced to -1HP. If they fail the second check, they must immediately make a third Constitution check (DC 15) or die on the spot. Only succeeding in a check, moving at least 60ft away from the Monarch of Spite, or if the Monarch of Spite makes a willful effort to exclude the target from this effect, will the drowning stop and the effect end.

Hate Changes You: At 10th level, the Monarch of Spite is changed forever by their all-consuming hatred. The Monarch of Spite gains the Outsider (Native) type, and Regeneration 1. The Regeneration cannot by bypassed, but does not work when the Monarch of Spite is under a Calm Emotions, or similar spell.
Also, the Monarch of Spite radiates hate like none other, and their malice infect the minds of others. The Monarch of Spite radiates a 100ft aura that effects all creatures with a Rage (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Rage) spell (DC equal to the Monarch of Spite's spells) every round. Creatures already effected by a Rage spell do not need to make the save each round, and the Monarch of Spite can suppress this aura as a free action by making a DC20 Concentration check, and reactivate it as a free action (No check needed).

---

Land Outcast
2011-02-21, 03:34 PM
Do you intend him to be able to cast 4th level spells at first level of the class, given a sufficiently high Cha bonus? If not then change the "0"s for "-"s in the positions where spells shouldn't be available due to high casting score.

TheGeckoKing
2011-02-21, 03:44 PM
No, I do not. Good catch.

Land Outcast
2011-02-21, 04:05 PM
I really like this PrC for a BBEG, but evaluation of classes is not my strong point, therefore I have no criticism to make mechanics-wise, though I'd reword Monarch's Wrath to say:

Monarch's Wrath(Ex): A Monarch of Spite can shatter their foes with the hatred that fuels their soul. When a Monarch of Spite makes a melee attack or casts a spell, they may elect to use this ability before the attack roll is made. It the spell/attack does hit, it also deals untyped damage equal to triple the Monarch of Spite's class levels.
A Monarch of Spite can use this class ability once per encounter at level 2, and an additional time per every two levels they have beyond level 2.

Besides that, you have my praise.

EDIT: kept the plural for gender neutrality as you use it.

Dead_Jester
2011-02-21, 04:07 PM
Looks pretty good, and balanced too. The only thing I'd add to this would be further abilities developing the Path of Hate at further levels.

However, the prerequisites are really steep. Right now, you can't take this class before level 10, and unless that was intended, you can't the full progression in 20 levels if you lose 2 points of bab in your entire career.

I'd probably reduce to bab requirement to +6 or +5 (so even 3/4 bab classes can enter it), and maybe reduce the Intimidation skill prereqs to +8.

TheGeckoKing
2011-02-21, 04:15 PM
@LandOutcast

That's a much better way to word it. I think i'll use that, and thanks! :smalltongue:

@Dead_Jester
I guess it is a bit steep to get in. +7 BAB/6 Ranks would be better, I surmise. Also, more path abilities? I could try to do that, I guess.

Mulletmanalive
2011-02-21, 04:30 PM
You've used "Amount" in the places where "number" is appropriate. This is oddly irritating...woud you mind correcting that?

Number is for discreet objects like pencils; Amount is appropriate for things that aren't counted in discreet numbers like flour or money...

I found this a pleasant change from the conventional take on the black knight [i.e. antipaladin...]

TheGeckoKing
2011-02-21, 04:39 PM
No problem. I'm nitpicky too, but terrible at English classes :smallsigh:
EDIT: I can't find where I've used amount instead of number. Can ya point it out to me, please?

Flickerdart
2011-02-21, 04:45 PM
Making 9th level spells 4th level is problematic when the Archivists and StP Erudites start running around and casting them. You could make those spells their proper levels and just grant the guy casting starting with 6th level slots, I suppose. Though the spell progression is very uneven, I'd fix that. And granting 6th level spells at level 8 in general seems kind of strange. It'll be 3-4 more levels before the spellcasting classes get their mitts on those.

Also, for PrCs, you don't add iterative BAB to the table. Just +6 and +7, not +6/+1 and +7/+2.

Land Outcast
2011-02-21, 04:46 PM
No problem. I'm nitpicky too, but terrible at English classes :smallsigh:
EDIT: I can't find where I've used amount instead of number. Can ya point it out to me, please?
Actually it is just once, in the first line for Spells of Hate

Mulletmanalive
2011-02-21, 04:47 PM
Spells of Hate(Su): The Monarch of Hate can cast a small amount of Arcane spells, powered by their ever-present hate. To cast a Monarch of Hate spell, he must have a Charisma score of at least 10 + the spell’s level, so if he has a Charisma of 10 or lower, he cannot cast these spells. Bonus spells are based on Charisma (He only gains bonus spells for levels he can already cast), and saving throws against these spells have a DC of 10 + spell level*2 + his Cha modifier. A Monarch of Hate automatically knows all spells on his spell list, and so is only limited by their Spells per Day. The caster levels for these spells is equal to double the levels in Monarch of Spite the Monarch has, and the Monarch of Hate does not suffer the Arcane Spell Failure Chance that normal spellcasters would while casting spells granted by this class.

Guess i exaggerated...:smallredface:

TheGeckoKing
2011-02-21, 04:52 PM
Making 9th level spells 4th level is problematic when the Archivists and StP Erudites start running around and casting them. You could make those spells their proper levels and just grant the guy casting starting with 6th level slots, I suppose. Though the spell progression is very uneven, I'd fix that. And granting 6th level spells at level 8 in general seems kind of strange. It'll be 3-4 more levels before the spellcasting classes get their mitts on those.

Also, for PrCs, you don't add iterative BAB to the table. Just +6 and +7, not +6/+1 and +7/+2.

Silly me, forgetting how to write up BaB. :smallsigh:
Also, the requirements WERE higher, but they were also a bit steep, so i'll see if I can't finagle them to work. Lastly, they cast Arcane spells, so only StP Erudites can copy them (Am I missing some cheesy conversion process?), at which point you should be hit on the head for allowing that level of cheese into your game and complaining.

EDITY: Right, the Prc is back to being a High Level Prestige Class, because i'm not happy NOT giving it 9th level spells at 10th level. Because i'm a powergamer like that :smallbiggrin:

Dumbledore lives
2011-02-21, 04:59 PM
I like this class, but I think that having 6th and 7th level spells as 1st and 2nd is a little bit much. I see you've changed it to +8 BAB, which is a bit more reasonable, though I think it would be better at +10, so 6th level spells are acquired at the same level as spellcasters, and a very limited selection of 7th one level before, and it would also have the nice Base Class 10/ Prestige 10.

TheGeckoKing
2011-02-21, 05:03 PM
I think I shall meet you down the middle and bring it up to +9, so your not completely constricted with your build design when designing a character

unosarta
2011-02-21, 05:07 PM
You could just bring the Skill ranks up to 13. Base Attack Bonus can be circumvented, or lost partially, but Skill ranks, as long as you have the skill on your class skill list, cannot go past the cap, and usually can be fairly easy to get.

If you really feel that a character would be constrained because of not having the skill on their skill list, give the option of a feat that adds that skill to their skill list, and gives some option or bonus with it.

TheGeckoKing
2011-02-21, 05:09 PM
.........Oh yeah. I totally forgot about upping the skill ranks. Thanks unosarta!

unosarta
2011-02-21, 05:17 PM
.........Oh yeah. I totally forgot about upping the skill ranks. Thanks unosarta!

No problem.

Interesting class. One question/problem; Drowning Hate involves the Drowning rules, which are beyond stupid and pointless. Literally, you can use the ability on an ally who is in the negatives, and they will gain HP because of how the rules are written. I would recommend a different effect; simple constitution damage might work, just, please, no drowning rules.

The capstone is kind of meh. All you get is regeneration. Something cooler seems in order, maybe a semi-rage like ability?

Mulletmanalive
2011-02-21, 05:33 PM
No problem.

Interesting class. One question/problem; Drowning Hate involves the Drowning rules, which are beyond stupid and pointless. Literally, you can use the ability on an ally who is in the negatives, and they will gain HP because of how the rules are written. I would recommend a different effect; simple constitution damage might work, just, please, no drowning rules.

The capstone is kind of meh. All you get is regeneration. Something cooler seems in order, maybe a semi-rage like ability?

This is only true of you choose to do the impossible and read the words "drops to" as "rises to." I've always found this one annoying as this is a reading that is only possible is you choose to apply non-English grammar in your reading of an English text...

unosarta
2011-02-21, 05:49 PM
This is only true of you choose to do the impossible and read the words "drops to" as "rises to." I've always found this one annoying as this is a reading that is only possible is you choose to apply non-English grammar in your reading of an English text...

"In the first round, she falls unconscious (0 hp)."

In other words; in the first round, her Hit Points become 0. If you pull them out of the water, they don't have to worry about that problem. It is ridiculously stupid, but it is a valid reading of what the rules say.

Anyway, that doesn't seem to be that bad of a problem in this case, since the Monarch of Spite has no way to make the suffocation stop.

TheGeckoKing
2011-02-21, 05:55 PM
Ew, I forgot drowning rules were written by a monkey. I'll switch to Con Damage, and fix up a nicer capstone.

EDIT: Yay! Now The Monarch of Spite drives anyone around him into a rage just by being next to them.

Land Outcast
2011-02-21, 11:11 PM
I liked the lethality of the use of drowning rules as opposed by losing 1d2 Con each round... victims have no longer their actions restricted and might easily take as much as five rounds to die (which, at high level play, means they won't).

Should I use it I'll probably switch to: Con check 10 or drop to 0 hp unconscious, next round drop to -1 hp dying, next round drowns. If the creature ends up being more than 60 feet away form the monarch of spite, or the monarch of spite loses consciousness, the drowning stops.

TheGeckoKing
2011-02-22, 11:08 AM
A retrofit of the drowning rules would fix the monkey-like ruling, and capture the flavor. I shall do my best :P
EDIT: I've fixed the monkey-like drowning rules and the slow boring Con Damage. Now, it's 3 strikes or your out.

Land Outcast
2011-02-22, 12:04 PM
A retrofit of the drowning rules would fix the monkey-like ruling, and capture the flavor. I shall do my best :P
EDIT: I've fixed the monkey-like drowning rules and the slow boring Con Damage. Now, it's 3 strikes or your out.

Yay! and now it is still lethal but less arbitrary!
I keep liking this class more and more. :smallcool:

TheGeckoKing
2011-02-22, 12:23 PM
I have an idea........would it be out of place if I made a feat that allowed them to add Corrupt Spells (BoVD) to their spell list? I'm sure it would make sense thematically.

PAZelos
2011-02-22, 12:36 PM
"Acidic Spite: All melee attacks the Monarch of Spite makes deal extra points of fire damage..."

Something strange's up with that ability :smalltongue: (same for burning hate)

Checking the rest of the class now :smallbiggrin:

TheGeckoKing
2011-02-22, 12:40 PM
I'm sorry, I couldn't possibly know what your thinking about. My output is 100% perfect at all times. :smalltongue: