PDA

View Full Version : Early Entry or Substitute for Combine Song

Elric VIII
2011-02-21, 04:55 PM
I was recently thinking about a full-caster bard build. The obvious solution is to take the Sublime Chord Class. Due to the skill point requirements for the class, I cannot take it until level 11. If I proceed to take all 10 levels I get casting progression similar to that of a Wizard that has lost 2 CL (9th level spells at level 19).

Now, in this theoretical build I would like to acquire the Combine Song Ability. this can be done in two ways AFAIK: Seeker of the Song 2 or War Chanter 5. Assuming that I can get perform as a class skill, I can do something like Sorcerer 6/PrC Bard 1/War Chanter 5/Seeker of the Song 8. However I would like to know if there is a better wat to achieve this.

Both Seeker of the Song and Sublime Chord are only available after level 10, due to skill point constraints. If I take 7 levels of Bard I have 3rd level spells and 3 levels to do with as I please.

What I need is some way to do one of the following:

Get into Seeker of the Song at least 2 levels early.

Get into Sublime Chord at least 1 level early.

Obtain 3rd level spells, Bardic Music, and Combine Song by level 10

Geiger Counter
2011-02-21, 04:59 PM
there is the beguiler (PHB2) to have decent spellcasting and decent skill points at once
then there is also prestige bard (UA)

Elric VIII
2011-02-21, 05:05 PM
there is the beguiler (PHB2) to have decent spellcasting and decent skill points at once
then there is also prestige bard (UA)
I'm not too sure how Beguiler can help me. I know that it can easily qualify for PrC Bard, but as I said, I cannot take it at a low enough level to grant me 9th level spells and Combine song.

Thank you for the suggestion, however. Beguiler/PrC Bard is almost core Bard. Although, does this mean that the beguiler adds Bard spells to its spell list and can subsequently cast them the same way it can cast it's entire normal spell list?

Urpriest
2011-02-21, 05:12 PM
This is a tricky one. Cheesing the skill points themselves requires some of the most ridiculous cheese available: we're talking Dusk Giant polymorph. Looking for the Combine Songs ability somewhere else is a better idea...not sure what else has it though, and it seems too specific for the Lists of Stuff.

Elric VIII
2011-02-21, 05:32 PM
I was hoping there was a feat or something to achieve this, I definately don't want to be playing pun pun-esque tricks on this build.

Are there any provisions for attatching a class feature to an item with uses/day? Something along the lines of Combine song 3/day would be cool.

dextercorvia
2011-02-21, 05:58 PM
Bloodlines would do it.

Hazzardevil
2011-02-21, 06:06 PM
I don't belive there is anyway to get more ranks in a skill than normally allowed, though if you find out let me know. You could just ask your DM if you can take a feat to get it.

I think the best thing you can do is just since you want sublime chord, take 5 levels of a prepared caster, 1 level of bard, 5 levels of warchanter and 10 levels of sublime chord. It may not be what you had in mind, it's the only way I can think of to get 9th level wizard spells with sublime chord pre-epic.

Keld Denar
2011-02-21, 06:20 PM
3rd level spells is about the easiest thing to bend. Sanctum Spell alone covers that need.

Hmmm, how quickly can you qualify for Warchanter? Because with Sanctum Spell, you would have 3rd level spells (effectively) after only 4 bard levels, when you normally get 2nd level spells.

Elric VIII
2011-02-21, 09:03 PM
3rd level spells is about the easiest thing to bend. Sanctum Spell alone covers that need.

Hmmm, how quickly can you qualify for Warchanter? Because with Sanctum Spell, you would have 3rd level spells (effectively) after only 4 bard levels, when you normally get 2nd level spells.

I didn't even think to try to get the spells early. You can enter Warchanter at level 6 with Bard 4/full BAB class 1. Thank you, this is exactly what I needed.

Keld Denar
2011-02-21, 09:08 PM
/flex

Sanctum Spell, the better early entry feat. Increases when you need them, decreases when you want them.

For more shananananananananananananigans, you can put 4th level spells in a Spellstoring weapon as long as you are outside of your sanctum when you store them. Sanctum Orb of Fire fits pleasantly for that 1st round of combat nova effect that EVERYONE loves.