PDA

View Full Version : Quick query

Woodzyowl
2011-02-21, 08:39 PM
Isn't causing 192d8+22 points of damage per hit after 2 rounds of being buffed beast for a melee character at lvl.16 in D&D 3.5? What about with a bab of 16/16/16/11/6/1 with a +29 to hit? It's the most beast melee character I have ever seen, but if anyone knows of a better one, state the damage and to-hit. By the way, I'm disregarding armor in this thread for a reason. All I'm looking for is pure DPS. Killing things before they can hit you much is significantly better than being hard to hit and smacking stuff for 30 damage per round in my opinion.

Amnestic
2011-02-21, 08:51 PM
Isn't causing 192d8+22 points of damage per hit after 2 rounds of being buffed beast for a melee character at lvl.16 in D&D 3.5?

Yes, I'm sure that's possible in 3.5. I daresay it might earn you more than a few boots books to the head though.

What about with a bab of 16/16/16/11/6/1 with a +29 to hit?

I'm sure it's possible to have that too.

Killing things before they can hit you much is significantly better than being hard to hit and smacking stuff for 30 damage per round in my opinion.

If a Wizard can stop you from hitting him before you finish your two rounds of buffing (by, for example, flying away) then your DPR drops to zero.

/This thread befuddles me.

cupkeyk
2011-02-21, 08:54 PM
A halfling outrider can make a single charge attack on his mount with a small lance at +40 with 3d8+1200. Its a really old build though so don't expect me to link to it. funny thing is that he can only do it once an encounter. But he has great cleave.

Woodzyowl
2011-02-21, 09:31 PM
A halfling outrider can make a single charge attack on his mount with a small lance at +40 with 3d8+1200. Its a really old build though so don't expect me to link to it. funny thing is that he can only do it once an encounter. But he has great cleave.

At level 16?

cupkeyk
2011-02-21, 09:34 PM
The build completes at level 12. It wasn't progressed further than that.

Woodzyowl
2011-02-21, 09:35 PM
If a Wizard can stop you from hitting him before you finish your two rounds of buffing (by, for example, flying away) then your DPR drops to zero.

/This thread befuddles me.

Notice how I said "melee." I have a monk, so 2 rounds is easy to get. I have an item from the MIC that gives permanent air walk, so flying isn't an issue. This thread makes perfect sense, you're just looking at it the wrong way.

Woodzyowl
2011-02-21, 09:37 PM
The build completes at level 12. It wasn't progressed further than that.

Wow that's actually pretty awesome. However, on that one attack, if anyone was more than a 5 ft. steps reach away, they would turn around and eat the halfling for dinner. It wouldn't be pretty.

Woodzyowl
2011-02-21, 09:39 PM
This is actually in a campaign with me vs. anything. No permanent allies or stuff like that. I have to be good at killing to survive.

cupkeyk
2011-02-21, 09:41 PM
Yup. It's not a build for playing. It was a math exercise. who would want to play a one trick pony.

i notice you are playing a monk. Monks have a damage cap. my friend made a dwarf monk with decisive strike and hammerfist. one touch attack I don't have his build though.

Woodzyowl
2011-02-21, 09:45 PM
Yup. It's not a build for playing. It was a math exercise. who would want to play a one trick pony.

i notice you are playing a monk. Monks have a damage cap. my friend made a dwarf monk with decisive strike and hammerfist. one touch attack I don't have his build though.

This is a VERY highly optimized character with a friendly DM. However, if you look at http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Ultimate_Monk_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_Build)#Emp ty-hand_Strike_Damage it isn't particularly hard to make a monk with that much damage. I got most of my inspiration from this page, and a little from my own mind.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-02-21, 09:48 PM

i notice you are playing a monk. Monks have a damage cap. my friend made a dwarf monk with decisive strike and hammerfist. one touch attack I don't have his build though.*rimshot*

In all seriousness, if you're just going for numbers, you might as well go Warhulking Hurler, or 1d2 Crusader. If you're taking defenses and, y'know, actual play into account, a mailman (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868534/The_Mailman:_A_Direct_Damage_Sorcerer) will get you damage + reliability + action control + other tricks.

Yuki Akuma
2011-02-21, 10:02 PM
If you want to roll the most amount of dice, 1d2 Crusader is the way.

Because he throws an arbitrarily high number of d2s every attack.

CycloneJoker
2011-02-21, 10:10 PM
If you want to roll the most amount of dice, 1d2 Crusader is the way.

Because he throws an arbitrarily high number of d2s every attack.

No, you want that one PsyArtificer (I think) with actions per turn equal to the number of rounds since he hit 4th or 5th, squared.

Or, just the affinity field loops for infinite actions.

Dalek-K
2011-02-22, 09:36 AM
1d2 Crusader?

What would this be?

CycloneJoker
2011-02-22, 10:10 AM
1d2 Crusader?

What would this be?

A feat and a stance. One makes you reroll all ones, and the other allows you to roll another damage die when it rolls max. Infinite damage.

Keld Denar
2011-02-22, 10:10 AM
Heads up, bragging about a build on a forum haunted by some of the best CharOpers on the internet isn't gonna impress anyone. I've seen it all (yes, even that). You're damage is good, certainly more than enough for any practical adventuring, but hardly "beast". Google "campaign smashers" for some really rediculous numbers.

If you post your sheet or build, I'm sure we could even tweak it a tad increase your numbers...

CycloneJoker
2011-02-22, 10:23 AM
Your monk isn't "good" unless it's doing something in the ballpark of 3-4,000 d6. Which can be done at level two with a bit of work.

Douglas
2011-02-22, 10:42 AM
Heads up, bragging about a build on a forum haunted by some of the best CharOpers on the internet isn't gonna impress anyone.
Here isn't quite as bad as posting on WotC's own CharOp forums, though. I remember a set of "rules" posted over there somewhere that included something like "Thou shalt never call thy build the 'ultimate' anything unless its name be Pun-Pun, or it will be topped by the Brethren within 5 minutes of posting."

Keld Denar
2011-02-22, 10:57 AM
Or just angry yelling by Phoenix_Inferno with his Srg. Slaughter avatar.

But in all reality, as far as optimized monks go, you can get UAS damage in the 254-384d6 range with size stacking while gaining half of that damage back in temp HP with like, 12+ attacks per round. If you are really ambitious, you can probably get over 500d6 base UAS damage. And thats BEFORE str and other factors are added.

Woodzyowl
2011-02-22, 04:13 PM
Well, if you all would be kind enough to help me get those last few dice out of him, maybe some ac and saves too, I'd much appreciate it. This DM doesn't worry about the max effective size limit, he lets my size bonuses stack. As long as I don't try to question his rules too much, he doesn't question mine. Keep in mind that this IS a solo character, so I do need survivability beyond the damage. Although often the latter is enough. http://www.mediafire.com/?nbx97k938mete If need any interpretation of the heiroglyphs, let me know. I just got to level 16 yesterday, so if any of you have suggestion for the next 3 levels, tell me.