PDA

View Full Version : Can Whips get enhancements? Are they even worth using?

Sims
2011-02-21, 10:12 PM
I read about Whips, and they seem pretty crappy. About the only use is tripping someone from 15 ft.

Can a Whip even get enhancements like Distance or Wounding? Because maybe then they're alright.

(lol at the idea of a Vorpal Whip)

Coidzor
2011-02-21, 10:15 PM
Yes, and they are sometimes useful too, though I believe whip-daggers are piercing and so can't be vorpal.

Qwertystop
2011-02-21, 10:23 PM
What kind of damage does a normal whip do anyway?

Cuaqchi
2011-02-21, 10:26 PM
Slashing, which is wholely resisted by armour or natural armour of sufficient strength.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-02-21, 10:28 PM
+1 Whip of Shocking. Sure, the subdual damage may be ignored by armor, but the 1d6 Lightning damage won't.

Sims
2011-02-21, 10:28 PM
What kind of damage does a normal whip do anyway?

1d3 non-lethal damage. But it can attack from 15ft away. However, if the person struck is wearing +1 or geater armor, or has +3 or greater natural armor, it deals no damage to them.

Chilingsworth
2011-02-21, 10:34 PM
Well, in addition to normal whips, there are also mighty whips (add you strength to damage, and iirc deal lethal damage,) whip daggers (slash for lethal damage and not completely blocked by armor,) and [I think] mighty whip daggers. I don't remember which books they're in, though.

cupkeyk
2011-02-21, 11:27 PM
whip daggers are 3.0. Song and Silence, i think, since they are bard weapons. If not Sword and fist. There is another whip in defenders of the wild made with vines, gum resin and obsidian shards but are mechanically whip daggers too.

In the same book with whip daggers is a prc for whip users, actually very powerful. you effectively gain a climb speed of 15, can manipulate objects fifteen feet away and learn to use the whip for some sound based stunning attacks.

TheCountAlucard
2011-02-21, 11:49 PM
However, if the person struck is wearing +1 or geater armor...Err, no, it's if their armor bonus is +1 or greater... in other words, pretty much just if you're wearing armor at all.

Draz74
2011-02-21, 11:59 PM
Whip-daggers are from Arms & Equipment Guide. (Possibly another 3.0 book too, but definitely that one.)

Magic Item Compendium has a couple specific magic whips that deal lethal damage and work normally against armor. Lash of Sands and Water Whip. I think they still don't threaten though. They're expensive, but they have some other fairly decent properties too.

Akal Saris
2011-02-22, 12:52 AM
It is indeed possible to get a mighty whip-dagger, though it's 3.0, back when whips were considered ranged weapons. Now there is no need for a mighty version, because you already get strength to it as a melee weapon.

There's no good reason for a dedicated melee character to use a whip. A bard gets proficiency in them for free, as do hathrans. So for them it might be worth using on rare occasions. Most melee bards will want to use a 1-handed weapon with Snowflake Wardance though, and bards typically suck at tripping/disarming.

I guess you could have a +1 Spell-Storing whip and use it to deliver a touch buff/healing spell from 15ft reach...

Daftendirekt
2011-02-22, 01:43 AM
It is indeed possible to get a mighty whip-dagger, though it's 3.0, back when whips were considered ranged weapons. Now there is no need for a mighty version, because you already get strength to it as a melee weapon.

There's no good reason for a dedicated melee character to use a whip. A bard gets proficiency in them for free, as do hathrans. So for them it might be worth using on rare occasions. Most melee bards will want to use a 1-handed weapon with Snowflake Wardance though, and bards typically suck at tripping/disarming.

I guess you could have a +1 Spell-Storing whip and use it to deliver a touch buff/healing spell from 15ft reach...

Was there errata that made whips melee whips and thus not 90% worthless? If so, link please?

Also, mention of the Shocking whip just conjured up images of Iron Man 2. That'd be a fun guy to make.

MeeposFire
2011-02-22, 02:33 AM
Was there errata that made whips melee whips and thus not 90% worthless? If so, link please?

Also, mention of the Shocking whip just conjured up images of Iron Man 2. That'd be a fun guy to make.

Whip

A whip deals nonlethal damage. It deals no damage to any creature with an armor bonus of +1 or higher or a natural armor bonus of +3 or higher. The whip is treated as a melee weapon with 15-foot reach, though you don’t threaten the area into which you can make an attack. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, you can use it against foes anywhere within your reach (including adjacent foes).

Using a whip provokes an attack of opportunity, just as if you had used a ranged weapon.

You can make trip attacks with a whip. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the whip to avoid being tripped.

When using a whip, you get a +2 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to disarm an opponent (including the roll to keep from being disarmed if the attack fails).

You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with a whip sized for you, even though it isn’t a light weapon for you.

from the 3.5 SRD

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#weaponDescriptions

The whip is also listed as a exotic one handed melee weapon in 3.5.

Whip daggers are awesome if they are allowed.

BiblioRook
2011-02-22, 02:35 AM
(lol at the idea of a Vorpal Whip)

Yes, and they are sometimes useful too, though I believe whip-daggers are piercing and so can't be vorpal.

The Whip in Defenders of the Wild does Slashing. Quite frankly I find that idea both awesome and horrifying; I can easily picture how it would happen too. :smalleek:

MeeposFire
2011-02-22, 02:36 AM
Sort of like Valentine or whatever her name from soul caliber.

Daftendirekt
2011-02-22, 02:39 AM
"Using a whip provokes an attack of opportunity, just as if you had used a ranged weapon"

That was the part I was hoping had been errataed away, as it seems to me to be the part that makes the whip really bad. Making it a melee weapon just means you get STR to damage, woopity doo. You pretty much need to stay at that 15' range or else get some way of regularly dodging (AC-wise) those AoO.

cupkeyk
2011-02-22, 02:40 AM
Ivy and her Valentine sword/Ivy Sword. That isn't a whip dagger as it is a robot.

MeeposFire
2011-02-22, 02:59 AM
Ivy and her Valentine sword/Ivy Sword. That isn't a whip dagger as it is a robot.

Yes but when it whips about it looks like what a whip dagger might look like. That was my point.

Heliomance
2011-02-22, 05:34 AM
If you're okay with 3.0, the Lasher from Sword and Fost makes whips usable.

Greenish
2011-02-22, 05:57 AM
"Using a whip provokes an attack of opportunity, just as if you had used a ranged weapon"

That was the part I was hoping had been errataed away, as it seems to me to be the part that makes the whip really bad. Making it a melee weapon just means you get STR to damage, woopity doo. You pretty much need to stay at that 15' range or else get some way of regularly dodging (AC-wise) those AoO.A DM might allow for Arrow Mind to work on whips. Wand Chamber + UMD pow.