PDA

View Full Version : "Harm not the books, lest harm come to you." (3.5 Base Class, APPLE)

Amechra
2011-02-21, 10:46 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_z1I7MZBuVEs/SkPPwLpc8_I/AAAAAAAAACk/V45_VKbT-_I/s400/Conan+Librarian+1.jpg

The Librarian
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |
Liber Mentat|
Rote Erudition

1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Living Library, Knowledge Devotion, Librarian's Vow|
1||

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Devotion to Learning|
2||

3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Rote Erudition (1)|
3|
1|

4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Supported Learning|
4|
2|

5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Master Scribe|
5|
3|

6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Rote Erudition (2)|
6|
3|

7th|+3|+2|+2|+5||
7|
4|

8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Supported Learning|
8|
5|

9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|Rote Erudition (3)|
9|
5|

10th|+5|+3|+3|+7||
10|
6|

11th|+5|+3|+3|+7||
11|
7|

12th|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8|Rote Erudition (4), Supported Learning|
12|
7|

13th|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8||
13|
8|

14th|+7/+2|+4|+4|+9||
14|
9|

15th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+9|Rote Erudition (5)|
15|
9|

16th|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10|Supported Learning|
16|
10|

17th|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10||
17|
11|

18th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|Rote Erudition (6)|
18|
11|

19th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11||
19|
12|

20th|+10/+5|+6|+6|+12|Supported Learning, One with the Knowldege|
20|
13|

[/table]
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d4

Class Skills:
A Librarian's class skills and their corresponding ability score are: Decipher Script (Int), Forgery (Cha), Knowledge (All) (Int), Martial Lore (Int), Speak Language (NA), Spellcraft (Int)
Skill Points at 1st Level: (8 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 8 + Int modifier

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Librarian is proficient with all simple weapons and no armors (but see Supported Learning).

Living Library (Ex and Su): A Librarian's duty is to defend and preserve books, and the best way to do so is to back up the books in one's memory. At 1st level, a Librarian gains the ability to use the spell Scholar's Touch at will as a Supernatural ability; however, instead of merely reading the book, they internalize it.

They have perfect recall of any book they have memorized in this fashion, until they forget it by either making room for another book as a Full-Round action, or through the use of the Master Scribe ability; as such, they gain a bonus to any Knowledge skill the books would pertain to equal to half their class level (minimum 1). If the book did not pertain to any Knowledge skill, such as a book of poetry or a book on carpentry, they may instead treat themselves as having a number of ranks in a skill that that book pertains to equal to the bonus to Knowledge skills from this ability, as long as their ranks in that skill are less than the bonus.

They may keep a number of books memorized at any one time equal to the number in the Liber Mentat column on the table above; they may memorize other texts, such as letters and notices; if they do this, each memorized piece of writing counts as 1/3 of a book, which does not grant any of the benefits of a full book. They may only memorize non-magical texts in this way; any attempts to memorize a magical text results only in having read the text.

Knowledge Devotion (Ex): A Librarian has a singular ability to use their knowledge to defend themselves and their books; at 1st level, they gain an ability that closely resembles the feat of the same name, except the bonus to attack and damage is instead equal to the result of the check -11 divided by 5, rounded down. In addition, unlike the feat, the bonus is not capped.

Librarian's Vow (Ex): A Librarian has a deep and abiding passion for books. If they ever willingly allow a book to be destroyed, they lose all class features of the Librarian class for the next 24 hours; if they personally destroy the book, they lose all features of this class permanently. This is unless they receive an Atonement spell from a Cleric of a deity or the concept of Knowledge, which only returns their Living Library, Knowledge Devotion, and Master Scribe class features. Alternatively, they may apprentice themselves to another Librarian for a period of 1 month, after which they regain all features of this class.

Devotion to Learning (Ex): A Librarian is so devoted to their books that they gain the ability to "think through" problems dealt with in their books, and gain more efficient ways to deal with problems that effect the mind. At 2nd level, a Librarian may use their Intelligence modifier instead of the normal modifier for every skill they would gain virtual ranks for from their Living Library ability. In addition, they may use their Intelligence modifier instead of their Wisdom modifier for the purpose of Will saves, and gain a Will save against any effect with the Mind Affecting descriptor.

Rote Erudition (Su): A Librarian's special bond to knowledge is so intense that they learn how to make special magical items known as 'Rotes'. At 3rd level, a Librarian gains the ability to create special Rotes from scrolls of Arcane and Divine scrolls, and Martial Scripts; they may only create Rotes from scrolls or scripts of containing spells/maneuvers equal to 1/3 their class level, rounded down. The process to convert a scroll or script into a Rote takes 1 minute; thereafter, only Librarians may use them. The act of doing this is permanent, and the newly created Rote cannot be used except for with this class feature.

To use a Rote, a Librarian must first memorize it with their Living Library ability; this does not take up any slots from their Liber Mentat, but instead is limited to the number in the Rote Erudition column. This does not destroy the text, but may only be done a number of times per day equal to twice their Intelligence modifier. Thereafter, they may use a Rote using the same action as the scroll or script it was copied from; the caster/initiator level (hereafter the Erudition level) for the resulting effect is equal to the Librarian's class level+1/2 any other class levels. Rotes are Supernatural abilities, use Intelligence for all save DCs, and require the following components to use:
-Verbal Component for Rotes from Arcane scrolls (Arcane Rotes).
-Divine Focus Component for Rotes from Divine scrolls (Divine Rotes).
-Somatic Component for Rotes from Martial Scripts (Martial Rotes).

Additionally, they learn to use different Rotes at different rates; they may add half their levels in the following classes to their Librarian levels for the purpose of what level Rotes they are able to access of a certain type:
-Arcane Spellcaster class levels, for the purpose of Arcane Rotes.
-Divine Spellcaster class levels, for the purpose of Divine Rotes.
-Initiator class levels, for the purpose of Martial Rotes.

Rotes can be used as many times per day as the Librarian wishes, but degrade through use. Every Rote starts with a single point of Degradation; every time the Librarian uses that Rote, roll a 20-sided dice; if they roll the Degradation value or below for that Rote, that Rote is lost but the effect still succeeded;
if they roll above the value, the Degradation value is increased by one, and the effect succeeds.
If the roll is failed by 5 or more, the effect does not go off, and the Rote is lost.

*Note on Martial Rotes: Unlike Martial Scripts, the maneuver in a Martial Rote does not have to be readied to be used.*

Supported Learning: A Librarian takes more away from their books and Rotes than anyone else would think possible: at 4th level, and every 4 levels thereafter, the Librarian may select an ability from the following list:
-Association with the Origin (Ex): When determining Erudition level for a rote, classes that would add to the effective Librarian level for Rote level usable count as 3/4 instead of 1/2. For example, a Librarian 4/Cleric 4 would have an Erudition level of 7 for originally Divine Rotes, and 6 for all other Rotes.
-Rote Conversion (Ex): When the Librarian selects this ability, they select one of the following: Arcane, Divine, or Martial. Whenever they create a Rote, they may elect to treat the Rote as being a Rote of that type; however, successful use of the Rote increases Degradation by 2 instead of 1. They may select this ability multiple times, each time selecting a different type to convert Rotes origin into.
-Retrieve from Ashes (Su): The Librarian may use their Living Library ability to repair a book or text as a full-round action, removing all damage from it and restoring any Hardness lost. In addition, any destroyed writing on the text is restored in full. They do not need to have the book memorized.
-Acquired Combativeness (Su): As long as the Librarian has a Martial Rote memorized, they are treated as being proficient in all the discipline weapons from the discipline the Maneuver on that Rote is from; this benefit extends to all Martial Rotes memorized. If this ability is taken a second type, as long as a Martial Rote is memorized, the BAB from Librarian levels is treated as 3/4s, not 1/2 (for example, a Librarian 8 with this ability twice would have a BAB of 6, not 4.)
-Defender of Libraries (Sp): A Librarian who selects this ability can use Silence as a spell-like ability at will. After they have reached 12th level, they may take this ability a second time to use Antipathy at will as a spell-like ability, but only may use it on objects pertaining to books. The caster level for these spell-like abilities is equal to their class level.
-Librarian's Walk (Su): This ability may only be taken by a 12th level Librarian; the Librarian may use Greater Teleport at will as a Supernatural ability, as long as the beginning and end of the teleport are within a library.
-Knowledgeable Fighting (Ex): A Librarian may use the table for highest maneuver level known for the purpose of using Rotes derived from the Open Tome (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188014) discipline. (For example, a 9th level Librarian could have Rotes of up to 3rd level, or Martial Rotes derived from Open Tome maneuvers of up to 5th level.) Only a number of such Rotes equal to half the Librarian's Intelligence modifier can be memorized at once.
-Bonus Feat (Ex): The Librarian gains a Bonus feat they qualify for.

Master Scribe (Su): A Librarian recognizes that a book kept in memory is not truly a book; a book must be readable by others. At 5th level, a Librarian gains the ability to use the Amanuensis spell at will as a Supernatural ability; they may only copy out texts they have memorized with the Living Library ability, which are then forgotten. They may then use Living Library on the resulting book as normal.

One with the Knowledge (Ex): A Librarian eventually joins with the things they love best: books. At 20th level, a Librarian becomes a Scirelich (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/HOO32fmmwPwtHNPTXS2.html), with the following changes:
- Their type becomes Living Construct.
-They do not have to create a phylactery; instead, they select a single piece of text to act as their phylactery. It is treated as having been 'updated' the last time the Librarian touched the text.
-They do not gain the Magic Missile spell-like ability.

Notes
I decided to make an incredibly nerdy class. Yes, they gain power from reading! This is also my first time posting a homebrew class on GitP, so I abjure you...

Don't be gentle. If anyone can spare more ideas for the Supported Learning feature and for feats, please do.

APPLE is an acronym for Adeptly PEACH Please, LEMON EDINBUROUGH. I leave the second two for your thought.

Mando Knight
2011-02-21, 10:57 PM
1) The link in the last ability is broken.
2) The class needs a way to silence opponents.

ThirdEmperor
2011-02-21, 10:57 PM
This class also needs to be able to move through L-Space.

unosarta
2011-02-21, 11:02 PM
I think you meant "Scirelich (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/HOO32fmmwPwtHNPTXS2.html)". You were missing that last L in the URL.

Other than that; a sound class. Can't say it is too powerful, but it sounds like it would be fun to play.

Amechra
2011-02-21, 11:18 PM
I fixed the link, and added two three new Supported Learnings.

Garryl
2011-02-22, 12:41 AM
Interesting. An Int-based skill monkey with no class skills who somehow makes it work. Spellcasting and maneuvers in a unique style reminiscent of an artificer and a warlock. And the picture just takes the cake.

It needs some proofreading. Several abilities switch between 2nd person (you, your) and 3rd person (they, their) in the middle of their text.

Living Library: Do you gain the same benefit from a letter (1/3 book) as you do from a full book? I'd also suggest specifying that the minimum bonus granted is +1 (or 1 rank). Otherwise, this ability provides no skill benefit at 1st level.

Knowledge Devotion: Does this still have the feat's +5 cap? (Or is it +6?)

Librarian's Vow: You lose all of your class features for 24 hours if you allow a book to be destroyed. The vow is a class feature. Hypothetically, a Librarian could use those 24 hours to go on a book burning crusade (say, as revenge against the books for forsaking him or whatever floats your boat) with no lasting consequences. You might want to address that (or not if you feel it's too inconsequential and too much of a rules contortion). Also, the second sentence is a bit of a run-on sentence. For clarity, I would suggest breaking it up into two or three smaller sentences. Say, one to describe what happens when you break the vow, one to describe how you get some of the features back with Atonement, and one to explain how to get back all of the features.

Rote Erudition: Does learning from a scroll or script destroy it? Or is it just limited to future use for further rote erudition? Or (and this is what the ability seems to say) does it just cause the scroll/script to require the user to be a Librarian to use (and thus be fully usable for multiclass Librarians or with a UMD check)?

You should specify in the text what at levels you gain access to what levels of spells/maneuvers, or at least reference the table. It took me a couple of readings of the ability before I realized that you can't just pick up any old scroll regardless of its level.

Supported Learning: Looks like a nice variety of abilities to choose from.

Rote Conversion: When you memorize a rote when you have different levels accessible, (say, Librarian 4/Cleric 4 has 1st for Arcane/Martial, 2nd for Divine) does this allow you to convert the rote before you learn it, allowing you to learn higher level ones than normal (eg: 2nd level maneuvers/arcane spells converted to divine in the above example)? I'm not sure it allows it as written, since you don't convert the rote until after you learn it, which requires it to have already been of an appropriate level.

Retrieve from Ashes: How long does repairing the book take? Does the Librarian need to know the book first, or just have a damaged/destroyed copy on hand? It seems like this ability is already done by Master Scribe.

Master Scribe: Is there anything stopping the Librarian from learning the lost book again with Living Library?

One With Knowledge: This should probably be an extraordinary ability rather than a supernatural one. As a Su ability, you'd lose the template every time you stepped into an AMF, which would be annoying to recalculate.

Amechra
2011-02-22, 01:05 AM
I was thinking of putting a minimum in for the bonus just now. Letters do not give the same bonus.

Rote Erudition works off of Living Library, which doesn't destroy the text. I'll specify that, though.

I'm leaving that glitch in the oath; it would let them destroy books that really need to be destroyed like those insanely powerful evil/good tomes that come up every so often. An ally burns a short, unimportant book, and the Librarian goes to town. Helpful against any cruel DMs that make their world-destroying weapon a book that can only be destroyed by Librarians.

Rote Conversion was not intended to allow you to create higher level Rotes than you normally could; it really is there to get nifty stuff, like maneuvers that only use a Verbal Component (take that Truenaming!), and other such sillyness, and to take advantage of higher erudition levels and/or Acquired Combativeness.

Retrieve from the Ashes works on any text, regardless of whether or not the Librarian has it memorized. I intended it as being a sort of way to retrieve burnt or destroyed books, like the BBEG's journal or some other, important text. I will specify this.

Thank you for critiquing.

EDIT: Which abilities switch? I can't find any.

Welknair
2011-02-22, 01:28 AM
I find your "Rotes" very intriguing. What, may I ask, inspired them? :smallwink:

Amechra
2011-02-22, 01:35 AM
I picked up the name from you, because it just sorta clicked, ya know?

But the mechanics are different enough that it won't result in copyright infringement :shifty:

Welknair
2011-02-22, 01:39 AM
No problem.

I find the idea of a librarian suddenly whipping out Martial Rotes and going all Kung-Fu on someone who turned in a book a day late hilarious.

Garryl
2011-02-22, 11:07 AM
EDIT: Which abilities switch? I can't find any.

I thought it was more, but actually it's just one line in Living Library.

as such, they gain a bonus to any Knowledge skill the books would pertain to equal to half your class level (minimum 1).

Amechra
2011-02-22, 11:42 AM
No problem.

I find the idea of a librarian suddenly whipping out Martial Rotes and going all Kung-Fu on someone who turned in a book a day late hilarious.

That was one of the intended consequences. I'm going to make PrCs and feats and such; any anyone particularly wants to see?

unosarta
2011-02-22, 12:37 PM
That was one of the intended consequences. I'm going to make PrCs and feats and such; any anyone particularly wants to see?

I would love to see a martial library that can smite those who speak.

Also, you might want to link the Open Tome mentions that you have in the text so as to cut down on confusion.

Also; Imperious Gaze (from the Open Tome discipline) seems absolutely perfect for this class; it is essentially Will save or be silenced for three rounds.

Also; I seriously love this class. Another idea for a PrC; some way to combine the Librarian and the Factotum.

Amechra
2011-02-24, 08:41 PM
Put a limit on the number of times per day that the Librarian can memorize Rotes; I had it brought to my attention that they could otherwise effectively have infinite spells. Which is bad.

Mangles
2011-02-25, 09:04 AM
For Pratchett's sake, I now need to play an awakened orangutan with this class. There are a lot of dead levels though.

RedWarrior0
2011-02-25, 08:30 PM
Librarians should be lawful. Always.

In addition, I'd like to see some variants:
Wandering Librarian: You were an ordinary Librarian when the FSRS (Free Speech Repressal Squad) burned your library to the ground. Like, Triple Maximized Meteor Swarm burned to the ground. You vowed vengeance, and now seek to spread your knowledge to the masses, but you lost many of the library-based abilities.

Archaeologist's Librarian: You are on an adventure! You work for Illinois Bones, who often requires you to identify ancient books discovered in desecrated temples. You are too free-spirited to be confined in a library, though.

Amechra
2011-02-26, 02:47 PM
Alright, here is a link to the thread I started on BG for this. It includes a prestige class by Catty Nebulart (Scroll down.)

The Thread (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11127.0)
The PrC (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11127.msg382261#msg382261)

Galileo
2011-02-26, 06:50 PM
No problem.

I see you've never handed a book in late, then. It's rather less funny once you've been on the receiving end of it. They still haven't given back my liver.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-03-05, 02:37 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_z1I7MZBuVEs/SkPPwLpc8_I/AAAAAAAAACk/V45_VKbT-_I/s400/Conan+Librarian+1.jpg

The Librarian
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |
Liber Mentat|
Rote Erudition

1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Living Library, Knowledge Devotion, Librarian's Vow|
1||

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Devotion to Learning|
2||

3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Rote Erudition (1)|
3|
1|

4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Supported Learning|
4|
2|

5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Master Scribe|
5|
3|

6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Rote Erudition (2)|
6|
3|

7th|+3|+2|+2|+5||
7|
4|

8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Supported Learning|
8|
5|

9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|Rote Erudition (3)|
9|
5|

10th|+5|+3|+3|+7||
10|
6|

11th|+5|+3|+3|+7||
11|
7|

12th|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8|Rote Erudition (4), Supported Learning|
12|
7|

13th|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8||
13|
8|

14th|+7/+2|+4|+4|+9||
14|
9|

15th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+9|Rote Erudition (5)|
15|
9|

16th|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10|Supported Learning|
16|
10|

17th|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10||
17|
11|

18th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|Rote Erudition (6)|
18|
11|

19th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11||
19|
12|

20th|+10/+5|+6|+6|+12|Supported Learning, One with the Knowldege|
20|
13|

[/table]

Okay, so we have the beginning of the class. Poor BAB, Fort and Ref, Good Will, d4 hit dice, any alignment. So this is a class that begins somewhere comparable to the wizard/sorcerer skeleton. Okay, it definitely starts off with some handicaps, let's look on.

Class Skills:
A Librarian's class skills and their corresponding ability score are: Decipher Script (Int), Forgery (Cha), Knowledge (All) (Int), Martial Lore (Int), Speak Language (NA), Spellcraft (Int)

Lots of skill points but nothing to spend them on. All Librarians are going to end up being either knowledge dumps or linguists. It all fits the flavour, but perhaps Sense Motive, Profession, even Craft (everybody gets Craft as far as I remember)?

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Librarian is proficient with all simple weapons and no armors (but see Supported Learning).

Seems appropriate, though I wonder why someone like this will adventure. No judgement yet, class abilities await!

Living Library (Ex and Su): A Librarian's duty is to defend and preserve books, and the best way to do so is to back up the books in one's memory. At 1st level, a Librarian gains the ability to use the spell Scholar's Touch at will as a Supernatural ability; however, instead of merely reading the book, they internalize it.

They have perfect recall of any book they have memorized in this fashion, until they forget it by either making room for another book as a Full-Round action, or through the use of the Master Scribe ability; as such, they gain a bonus to any Knowledge skill the books would pertain to equal to half their class level (minimum 1). If the book did not pertain to any Knowledge skill, such as a book of poetry or a book on carpentry, they may instead treat themselves as having a number of ranks in a skill that that book pertains to equal to the bonus to Knowledge skills from this ability, as long as their ranks in that skill are less than the bonus.

They may keep a number of books memorized at any one time equal to the number in the Liber Mentat column on the table above; they may memorize other texts, such as letters and notices; if they do this, each memorized piece of writing counts as 1/3 of a book, which does not grant any of the benefits of a full book. They may only memorize non-magical texts in this way; any attempts to memorize a magical text results only in having read the text.

Okay, this ability is awesome. It allows the Librarian to adapt to situations as long as he/she has books, good reinforcement of the fluff.

Knowledge Devotion (Ex): A Librarian has a singular ability to use their knowledge to defend themselves and their books; at 1st level, they gain an ability that closely resembles the feat of the same name, except the bonus to attack and damage is instead equal to the result of the check -11 divided by 5, rounded down. In addition, unlike the feat, the bonus is not capped.

Could get dangerous, but it seems to be the Librarian's way of being in combat, so I'll leave it to the side for now.

Librarian's Vow (Ex): A Librarian has a deep and abiding passion for books. If they ever willingly allow a book to be destroyed, they lose all class features of the Librarian class for the next 24 hours; if they personally destroy the book, they lose all features of this class permanently. This is unless they receive an Atonement spell from a Cleric of a deity or the concept of Knowledge, which only returns their Living Library, Knowledge Devotion, and Master Scribe class features. Alternatively, they may apprentice themselves to another Librarian for a period of 1 month, after which they regain all features of this class.

Okay so this prevents a disavowed Librarian from simply going on a book burning spree, good.

Devotion to Learning (Ex): A Librarian is so devoted to their books that they gain the ability to "think through" problems dealt with in their books, and gain more efficient ways to deal with problems that effect the mind. At 2nd level, a Librarian may use their Intelligence modifier instead of the normal modifier for every skill they would gain virtual ranks for from their Living Library ability. In addition, they may use their Intelligence modifier instead of their Wisdom modifier for the purpose of Will saves, and gain a Will save against any effect with the Mind Affecting descriptor.

Compresses the ability needs down to Intelligence a little more, and I can't argue with that.

Rote Erudition (Su): A Librarian's special bond to knowledge is so intense that they learn how to make special magical items known as 'Rotes'. At 3rd level, a Librarian gains the ability to create special Rotes from scrolls of Arcane and Divine scrolls, and Martial Scripts; they may only create Rotes from scrolls or scripts of containing spells/maneuvers equal to 1/3 their class level, rounded down. The process to convert a scroll or script into a Rote takes 1 minute; thereafter, only Librarians may use them. The act of doing this is permanent, and the newly created Rote cannot be used except for with this class feature.

To use a Rote, a Librarian must first memorize it with their Living Library ability; this does not take up any slots from their Liber Mentat, but instead is limited to the number in the Rote Erudition column. This does not destroy the text, but may only be done a number of times per day equal to twice their Intelligence modifier. Thereafter, they may use a Rote using the same action as the scroll or script it was copied from; the caster/initiator level (hereafter the Erudition level) for the resulting effect is equal to the Librarian's class level+1/2 any other class levels. Rotes are Supernatural abilities, use Intelligence for all save DCs, and require the following components to use:
-Verbal Component for Rotes from Arcane scrolls (Arcane Rotes).
-Divine Focus Component for Rotes from Divine scrolls (Divine Rotes).
-Somatic Component for Rotes from Martial Scripts (Martial Rotes).

Additionally, they learn to use different Rotes at different rates; they may add half their levels in the following classes to their Librarian levels for the purpose of what level Rotes they are able to access of a certain type:
-Arcane Spellcaster class levels, for the purpose of Arcane Rotes.
-Divine Spellcaster class levels, for the purpose of Divine Rotes.
-Initiator class levels, for the purpose of Martial Rotes.

Rotes can be used as many times per day as the Librarian wishes, but degrade through use. Every Rote starts with a single point of Degradation; every time the Librarian uses that Rote, roll a 20-sided dice; if they roll the Degradation value or below for that Rote, that Rote is lost but the effect still succeeded;
if they roll above the value, the Degradation value is increased by one, and the effect succeeds.
If the roll is failed by 5 or more, the effect does not go off, and the Rote is lost.

*Note on Martial Rotes: Unlike Martial Scripts, the maneuver in a Martial Rote does not have to be readied to be used.*

Okay, so you make randomly charged items for spells and maneuvers. Can't argue with that.

Supported Learning: A Librarian takes more away from their books and Rotes than anyone else would think possible: at 4th level, and every 4 levels thereafter, the Librarian may select an ability from the following list:
-Association with the Origin (Ex): When determining Erudition level for a rote, classes that would add to the effective Librarian level for Rote level usable count as 3/4 instead of 1/2. For example, a Librarian 4/Cleric 4 would have an Erudition level of 7 for originally Divine Rotes, and 6 for all other Rotes.
-Rote Conversion (Ex): When the Librarian selects this ability, they select one of the following: Arcane, Divine, or Martial. Whenever they create a Rote, they may elect to treat the Rote as being a Rote of that type; however, successful use of the Rote increases Degradation by 2 instead of 1. They may select this ability multiple times, each time selecting a different type to convert Rotes origin into.
-Retrieve from Ashes (Su): The Librarian may use their Living Library ability to repair a book or text as a full-round action, removing all damage from it and restoring any Hardness lost. In addition, any destroyed writing on the text is restored in full. They do not need to have the book memorized.
-Acquired Combativeness (Su): As long as the Librarian has a Martial Rote memorized, they are treated as being proficient in all the discipline weapons from the discipline the Maneuver on that Rote is from; this benefit extends to all Martial Rotes memorized. If this ability is taken a second type, as long as a Martial Rote is memorized, the BAB from Librarian levels is treated as 3/4s, not 1/2 (for example, a Librarian 8 with this ability twice would have a BAB of 6, not 4.)
-Defender of Libraries (Sp): A Librarian who selects this ability can use Silence as a spell-like ability at will. After they have reached 12th level, they may take this ability a second time to use Antipathy at will as a spell-like ability, but only may use it on objects pertaining to books. The caster level for these spell-like abilities is equal to their class level.
-Librarian's Walk (Su): This ability may only be taken by a 12th level Librarian; the Librarian may use Greater Teleport at will as a Supernatural ability, as long as the beginning and end of the teleport are within a library.
-Knowledgeable Fighting (Ex): A Librarian may use the table for highest maneuver level known for the purpose of using Rotes derived from the Open Tome (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188014) discipline. (For example, a 9th level Librarian could have Rotes of up to 3rd level, or Martial Rotes derived from Open Tome maneuvers of up to 5th level.) Only a number of such Rotes equal to half the Librarian's Intelligence modifier can be memorized at once.
-Bonus Feat (Ex): The Librarian gains a Bonus feat they qualify for.

Won't go into specifics, but it's all balanced here.

Master Scribe (Su): A Librarian recognizes that a book kept in memory is not truly a book; a book must be readable by others. At 5th level, a Librarian gains the ability to use the Amanuensis spell at will as a Supernatural ability; they may only copy out texts they have memorized with the Living Library ability, which are then forgotten. They may then use Living Library on the resulting book as normal.

Good ability to have if your book collection goes up in smoke.

One with the Knowledge (Ex): A Librarian eventually joins with the things they love best: books. At 20th level, a Librarian becomes a Scirelich (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/HOO32fmmwPwtHNPTXS2.html), with the following changes:
- Their type becomes Living Construct.
-They do not have to create a phylactery; instead, they select a single piece of text to act as their phylactery. It is treated as having been 'updated' the last time the Librarian touched the text.
-They do not gain the Magic Missile spell-like ability.

Comparable with the Dread Necromancer, and thus I approve.

All in all, I still wonder how a character with this class survives for long in the wilds or a dungeon (or even a hostile urban area). It seems like it is to the factotum what the druid is to the ranger, but lacks survivability. That being said, it can easily hold its own when it knows what's coming, and it is fluff given good form.

Welknair
2011-03-06, 11:48 AM
Relevant poster is relevant?

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii22/rattrap2474/Bibliomancy.jpg

Amechra
2011-03-06, 04:09 PM
Thank you, Welknair; you have brightened my day.

Qwertystop
2011-03-08, 04:05 PM
What's the standard pricing for a book that doesn't give bonuses on it's own? (A perfectly normal one that doesn't count as a Masterwork or better tool for Knowledge skills)

Amechra
2011-06-06, 08:22 PM
The Knowledge Thief
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|
Notitia Mentat|
Marginal Annotations

1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Results of Study, Size Up, Precise Strike 1d6|
1||

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Knowledgable Abuse|
2||

3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Studied Savvy (Strengths)|
3|
1|

4th|+2|+1|+1|+4||
4|
2|

5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Precise Strike 1d6/+1|
5|
3|

6th|+3|+2|+2|+5||
6|
3|

7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Studied Savvy (Weaknesses)|
7|
4|

8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Dual Abuse|
8|
5|

9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|Precise Strike 2d6/+1|
9|
5|

10th|+5|+3|+3|+7||
10|
6|

11th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Studied Savvy (Methods)|
11|
7|

12th|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8||
12|
7|

13th|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8|Precise Strike 2d6/+2|
13|
8|

14th|+7/+2|+4|+4|+9|Triple Abuse|
14|
9|

15th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+9|Studied Savvy (True Nature)|
15|
9|

16th|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10||
16|
10|

17th|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10|Precise Strike 3d6/+2|
17|
11|

18th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11||
18|
11|

19th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|Truly Streetwise|
19|
12|

20th|+10/+5|+6|+6|+12||
20|
13|

[/table]

Class Skills:

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Knowledge Thief is proficient with all simple weapons and all light armors.

Size Up (Ex): Knowledge Thieves have a very simple skill; they can "steal" knowledge of another creature by observing it. At 1st level, a Knowledge Thief gains the ability to make quick judgments concerning another creature; as a move action, they may memorize a creature, assigning one of their Notitia Mentat to that creature. From that point on, or until they decide to "lose" the notes they took as a move action, they may use the following class features on that creature, and all creatures of its type (to determine a creature's type for the purpose of this ability, look at the Ranger's favored enemy table.); Results of Study, Knowledge Abuse, and Studied Savvy.

A Knowledge Thief may record more notes about one creature than just one; they may have a number of notes stored about a single creature type up to 1+1/5 of their Knowledge Thief level.

Results of Study (Ex): A Knowledge Thief is quite adept at ferreting out information about creatures through momentary study. At 1st level, a Knowledge Thief may replace any knowledge check with a level check (Knowledge Thief Level+1d20+Intelligence modifier), as long as they have a creature that could be identified by that skill in their Notitia Mentat; however, any knowledge DCs that are not directly related to a creature memorized through your Notitia Mentat is increased by 10. This ability counts as Bardic Knowledge for the purpose of prerequisites and progression.

Coming Soon!

Amechra
2011-06-06, 08:34 PM
Feats and Miscellanea

A book costs one gold piece. It supplies a 1 time, +1 competence bonus to a single appropriate skill check to any creature that reads it.

Forbidden Lore
Prerequisites: Rote Erudition (1), 1st level breaches from the Half-Heard Secrets murmur, Sanity variant.
Benefits: You may elect to gain a single Warp Point rather than a point of Degradation when you use your rotes. In addition, you may treat Knowledge (Forbidden Lore) as if it were always a class skill for you, and may elect to gain permanent Degradation equal to the sanity lost (up to a maximum of two times your intelligence modifier) instead of losing Sanity, which must be spread around evenly among all of your currently memorized Rotes.

Yeah, I added new stuff. And I'm in the middle of adding another base class, so... PEACH!

Gideon Falcon
2011-06-06, 09:38 PM
You might want to have a provisor for spells with XP components and costly material components. The fact that it never gains access to limited wish or wish means that it isn't as much of a concern (as far as I know), but there are still things like planar ally that could get a bit broken.

Amechra
2011-06-06, 10:10 PM
I've been hashing that out; I could give an XP cost for the abilities, but eh...

Bhu
2011-06-07, 01:50 AM
Lemme know if you make any changes so I can fix my PrC for this appropriately. :smallsmile:

Amechra
2011-06-07, 11:19 AM
Alright, I will.

The Black Staff
2011-06-07, 09:41 PM
Feats and Miscellanea

A book costs one gold piece. It supplies a 1 time, +1 competence bonus to a single appropriate skill check to any creature that reads it.

Forbidden Lore
Prerequisites: Rote Erudition (1), 1st level breaches from the Half-Heard Secrets murmur, Sanity variant.
Benefits: You may elect to gain a single Warp Point rather than a point of Degradation when you use your breaches. In addition, you may treat Knowledge (Forbidden Lore) as if it were always a class skill for you, and may elect to gain a pool of permanent Degradation instead of losing Sanity, which must be spread around evenly among all of your currently memorized Rotes.

Yeah, I added new stuff. And I'm in the middle of adding another base class, so... PEACH!

How big is the pool of permanent Degradation? Shouldn't it be that you gain a single Warp Point when you use a rote?

Amechra
2011-06-07, 10:00 PM
Fixed the feat.

Qwertystop
2011-06-08, 09:08 AM
Feats and Miscellanea

Forbidden Lore
Benefits: You may elect to gain a single Warp Point rather than a point of Degradation when you use your rotes. In addition, you may treat Knowledge (Forbidden Lore) as if it were always a class skill for you, and may elect to gain permanent Degradation equal to the sanity lost (up to a maximum of two times your intelligence modifier) instead of losing Sanity, which must be spread around evenly among all of your currently memorized Rotes.

What are Warp Points, Knowledge(Forbidden Lore), and Sanity? Also, why would you ever want Degradation? And what are Breaches and Murmurs?

Volthawk
2011-06-08, 10:40 AM
What are Warp Points, Knowledge(Forbidden Lore), and Sanity? Also, why would you ever want Degradation? And what are Breaches and Murmurs?

Warp Points (in Breaches section of that post) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6755361#post6755361)
Sanity/Forbidden Lore (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/sanity.htm)

Halna LeGavilk
2011-09-05, 11:19 PM
Change the Litany of Rotes to just "equal to your class level." That's all it is, and it will help with ease of use and formatting.

Amechra
2011-09-06, 01:28 AM
There is nothing in the class that is called a "Litany of Rotes." Clarify, please.