PDA

View Full Version : The Unicorn Thread [3.5]

Serpentine
2011-02-22, 01:17 AM
It just came to my attention that there are no unicorn horn items in D&D (at least that I can find), and I decided I want to rectify that. But it's not really worth making its own thread for, so anyone can throw in their stuff here too if they like. Scrap that, I've changed my mind. This is now the "unicorns are awesome and need more love" thread. Anyone can still post their own stuff, though!

Cuz yeah. Unicorns are hardcore.
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs47/f/2009/229/c/c/Unicorns_Kick_Ass_by_ApocalypticMongoloid.jpg

(note: I'm not so great at the whole pricing thing.)

Unicorn Goblet: This delicate, spiraling ivory goblet is the hollowed-out horn of a unicorn. Any liquid drunk from the horn is purified and made perfectly safe, even if deliberately poisoned. Pure water becomes holy water.
Faint conjuration; CL 8th; Craft Wondrous Item, requires a unicorn horn; Price 4,250gp

Rod of the Blessed Unicorn: This is the gracefully twisting horn of a unicorn, voluntarily sacrificed by the unicorn itself for a worthy petitioner.
Good owner: Can cast Resurrection a number of times equal to the HD of the donor unicorn (usually 4 charges), and Heal the same number of times per week. It also grants a +2 luck bonus to all saves, and +4 to Diplomacy and Sense Motive checks with Chaotic Good creatures. A wielder with at least one Exalted feat gains a divine aura which grants a +1 morale bonus to all saves and attack rolls to allies within 15ft.
Neutral owner: It can cast Resurrection a number of times equal to the HD of the donor unicorn (usually 4 charges), and Heal the same number of times per week.
Evil owner: It can cast Resurrection a number of times equal to the HD of the donor unicorn (usually 4 charges), and Heal the same number of times per week, but is cursed with -2 to all saves, -4 Diplomacy and Sense Motive checks with Chaotic Good creatures, and is likely to be hunted down by the Blessed Unicorn, its spirit, or its agent.
Strong conjuration; CL 13th; Must be sacrificed voluntarily by a unicorn; Price 85,243gp

Rod of the Martyred Unicorn: This is the gracefully twisting horn of a unicorn, brutally torn from its flesh.
Good owner: Sickened.
Neutral owner: Can cast Barhest's Feast a number of times equal to the HD of the victim unicorn (usually 4 charges), and Harm the same number of times per week.
Evil owner: Can cast Barhest's Feast a number of times equal to the HD of the victim unicorn (usually 4 charges), and Harm the same number of times per week. Also gains a +2 profane bonus to all saves, and +4 Diplomacy and Sense Motive checks with Evil creatures. A wielder with at least one Vile feat gains an unholy aura which grants a +1 profane bonus to all saves and attack rolls to allies within 15ft.
Strong conjuration; CL 13th; Must be forcibly torn from a live unicorn; Price 60,243gp

I'd like to stat out a Blessed Unicorn, and a Martyred Unicorn - probably undead versions, but maybe live ones, too (for the rare occasion where it survives the removal of its horn). The former would be benign and sanctified, though possibly a little sad, and the latter insane and murderous. Thoughts?

Blessed Unicorn Template (in progress)

Blessed Unicorn

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/Bring_me_to_life_by_velvetcat.jpg

Sometimes, a unicorn makes the ultimate sacrifice for a truly noble cause - donating its horn to a worthy petitioner. Rarely, the forces of true Goodness - a deity, or the benevolent side of nature - recognise this sacrifice and reward the unicorn with new, glorious life.

"Blessed" is an acquired template that can be applied to a unicorn that voluntarily gave up its horn, and thereby its life, for a good cause, and was then resurrected.

A Blessed Unicorn uses all the base creature's statistics and abilities except as noted here. Do not recalculate the creature’s Hit Dice, base attack bonus, saves, or skill points if its type changes.

Size and Type: The creature’s type changes to Outsider (native). Do not recalculate the creature’s Hit Dice, base attack bonus, or saves. Size
is unchanged.
Speed: The creature gains +20ft to its speed.
Armour Class: Natural armour improves by +2.
Attack: A Blessed Unicorn loses its horn attack, but its hooves are +1 Holy weapons.
Special Attacks: A Blessed Unicorn retains any special attacks of
the base creature and also gains the following special abilities.
Daylight (Su): Blessed Unicorns can use a daylight effect (as the
spell) at will.
Smite Evil (Su): Once per day a Blessed Unicorn can make a normal
melee attack to deal extra damage equal to its HD (maximum of
+20) against an evil foe.
Spell-Like Abilities: The Blessed Unicorn loses its ability to cast cure light wounds, cure moderate wounds and neutralise poison. Instead, it gains the following spell-like abilities:

Special Qualities: The Blessed Unicorn retains all its special qualities, and gains the following:
Damage Reduction (Ex): 5/evil
Fast Healing (Ex): Each round, a Blessed Unicorn heals damage equal to
half of its Hit Dice, to a maximum of 10 points healed.
Immunities (Ex): A Blessed Unicorn is to immune disease and petrification.
Golden Aura (Su): The Blessed Unicorn is surrounded by a softly glowing nimbus of light with a radius of 20 feet. All Good creatures within this aura are under the effects of bless and gain Fast Healing 2.
Resistances (Ex): Blessed Unicorns have resistance to acid, fire, cold and electricity 10.
Telepathy (Su): A Blessed Unicorn can communicate telepathically with any creature within 50 feet that has an Intelligence score. The creature can respond to the couatl if it wishes—no common language is needed.
Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +2, Dex +4, Con +4, Int +2, Wis +4, Cha +6.
Advancement: The Blessed Unicorn advances in Outsider hit dice, or in class levels.
Favoured Classes: Cleric, Paladin or Crusader.
Alignment: Always Chaotic Good.
Challenge Rating: As base creature +2?
Level Adjustment: As base creature +4?

Sample Blessed Unicorn
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/df7ecbd3118fb579.jpg

Transcendent Unicorn Template (TBA)
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/the_last_unicorn_by_karrenrex-d2z6pm1.jpg

Martyred Unicorn Template (TBA)
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/undead_unicorn_by_shelldragon-d33euwh.jpg

Defiled Unicorn Template (TBA)

Land Outcast
2011-02-22, 02:04 AM
(note: I'm not so great at the whole pricing thing.)
Ok, lets see what we can do about it... just by RAW, haven't done any comparissons with anything yet.

Unicorn Goblet:
Use activated spell effects, wondrous item with multiple similar abilities
Material components: (25gp) x 100 (Bless Water)

Bless Water (lvl 1): 1 x CL 1 x 2000 + (25gp x 100) = 3500
Purify Food and Drink (lvl 0): [(0.5) x CL 1 x 2000] x0.75 = 750

Estimated Magic Item Gold Piece Values for Unicorn Goblet: 4,250 gp

Rod of the Blessed Unicorn:
Multiple similar abilities:
Use activated spell effect (Resurrection) with five charges
Use activated spell effect (Heal) with 5/7 charges per day
Use activated spell effect (Bless)

Multiple similar abilities:
Effects: Save bonus (other) +2, Skill bonus +4 (x2)
Material components: (10,000gp) x 5 (Resurrection)

Resurrection (lvl 7): (7 x CL 13 x 2000) x (1/2 x 1/10) + (10,000gp x 5) = 59,100 gp
Heal (lvl 6): (6 x CL 11 x 2000) / (5 / (5/7)) x 0.75 = 14143 gp
similar to Bless* (lvl 1): (1 x CL 1 x 2000) x 2** x 0.5 = 2000 gp

Save Bonus (luck) +2: (2^2) x 2000 = 8000 gp
Skill Bonus +4: (4^2) x 100 x 0.75= 1200 gp
Skill Bonus +4: (4^2) x 100 x 0.5= 800 gp

*reduced area, bonus to all saves, limited to exalted
**from 1 minute per level to continuous

Estimated Magic Item Gold Piece Values for Rod of the Blessed Unicorn: 85,243 gp

---------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: my math isn't infallible, though I do my best to avoid mistakes

EDIT: should Barghest's feast material components add up to 10,000 gp, the Rod of the Martyred Unicorn should cost the same as the Blessed one.

Serpentine
2011-02-22, 02:36 AM
EDIT: should Barghest's feast material components add up to 10,000 gp, the Rod of the Martyred Unicorn should cost the same as the Blessed one.A 5,000gp diamond, apparently.
Thanks for that :smallsmile:

Land Outcast
2011-02-22, 02:42 AM
You're welcome!

Here go some unicorns:
A blessed unicorn has sacrificed the focus of his healing powers for the sake of righting a situation which caused him to shed tears, or other forms of the greater good. He has lost his healing prowess and resistance to toxins, even weakened his flesh and hide, but the valiant spirit of sacrifice serves him as an armor greater than any hide or armor.
From afar he appears as a stark white horse, yet a soft glows seems to emanate from him while under the light of sun or moon. Blessed unicorns are even more discreet than normal unicorns, but their noble spirit imposes itself upon all mortals.

Blessed Unicorn
Size/Type: Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 4d10+16 (38 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
Armor Class: 23 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +4 natural, +7 sacred), touch 19, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+12
Attack: Hoof +8 melee (1d4+4)
Full Attack: 2 hooves +8 melee (1d4+4)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., magic circle against evil, spell-like abilities, immunity to charm, and compulsion, low-light vision, sanctuary, scent, spirit armor, wild empathy
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +6
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 17, Con 19, Int 10, Wis 21, Cha 24
Skills: Diplomacy +12, Intimidate +12, Jump +20, Listen +11, Move Silently +13, Spot +11, Survival +8*
Feats: Alertness, Skill Focus (Survival)
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always chaotic good
Advancement: 5-8 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: +3 (cohort)

Magic Circle against Evil (Su)
This ability continuously duplicates the effect of the spell. A blessed unicorn cannot suppress this ability.

Spell-Like Abilities
Blessed unicorns can use detect evil at will as a free action.

Once per day a blessed unicorn can use greater teleport to move anywhere within its home. It cannot teleport beyond the forest boundaries nor back from outside.

Sanctuary (Sp)
A blessed unicorn has the blessings of the powers of good that watch over the land. A blessed unicorn is constantly under the effects of sanctuary, as the spell, at caster level 4, Will DC 19. The DC is Charisma based.
Should a creature succesfully save to be able to attack the unicorn, 1d4 rounds later he must save again or be unable to attack for the following four rounds.

Spirit Armor (Su)
A blessed unicorn has the protection of his own elated spirit brought to tangible levels. He gets a sacred bonus to AC equal to his Cha modifier.

Wild Empathy (Ex)
This power works like the druid’s wild empathy class feature, except that a blessed unicorn has a +8 racial bonus on the check.

Skills
Blessed unicorns have a +4 sacred bonus on Diplomacy and Intimidate checks. Furthermore, they have a +8 racial bonus on Move Silently checks. *Blessed unicorns have a +3 competence bonus on Survival checks within the boundaries of their forest.

Martyred unicorns are creatures of hate and revenge, they constantly lose poisonous blood from the ever-open wound on their forehead which covers their face with a foul black substance, dripping onto their teeth and down onto their hooves.
His constitution and whole nervous system were wracked with pain, but one thing prevailed: the will to be, and that hung on to a sole purpose: revenge. The twisting of the beatiful creature and noble soul has left nothing but a lump of flesh constantly crisscrossed by pain, with the only fixed idea of bringing painful and slow dismemberment to those who unrooted his horn.

Martyred Unicorn
Size/Type: Large Aberration
Hit Dice: 4d8+20 (38 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
Armor Class: 19 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +7 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+15
Attack: Hoof +11 melee (1d6+7)
Full Attack: 2 hooves +11 melee (1d6+7) and bite +6 melee (1d6+3 plus poison blood)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Poison blood
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., spell-like abilities, immunity to charm, and compulsion, low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +9
Abilities: Str 24, Dex 17, Con 21, Int 10, Wis 21, Cha 24
Skills: Intimidate +15, Jump +21, Listen +11, Move Silently +5, Spot +11, Survival +8*
Feats: Alertness, Improved Natural Attack (hoof), Skill focus (Survival)
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 5-8 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

Poison Blood (Su)
Injury, Fortitude DC 17, initial and secondary damage 1d8 Str and 1d8 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Spell-Like Abilities
Martyred unicorns can use detect evil at will as a free action.

Once per day a martyred unicorn can use greater teleport to move anywhere within its home. It cannot teleport beyond the forest boundaries nor back from outside.

Skills
Martyred unicorns have a +8 racial bonus on Intimidate checks. *Martyred unicorns have a +3 competence bonus on Survival checks within the boundaries of their forest.

EDIT: then the Rod of the Martyred Unicorn should logically cost 60,243 gp (estimated price, as always)

Note: In this stat block I reduced Str and Con, removed horn attack, upped skill bonuses to move silently and wild empathy, added skill bonuses to diplomacy and intimidate, added sanctuary and spirit armor.

Serpentine
2011-02-22, 03:04 AM
Hm. It's okay, but what I was thinking is this: If a unicorn loses its horn, it dies. That's the usual way of things. However, if a unicorn voluntarily gives up its horn - and, thereby, its life - for what it believes is a truly good and noble cause, one of two things may happen:
1.A Good deity (or Nature itself) notices the noble deed and raises the unicorn from death. It becomes transendent, a true example to all Good creatures. Something like a Native Outsider, or perhaps it gains the Saint template, or something like that. It doesn't get its horn back, but the stump is symbolic of its self-sacrifice.
2. Blessed by a Good deity or nature itself, the spirit of the unicorn rises as a holy undead, a ghostly guardian of its forest and all Good creatures. It probably doesn't get its horn back (again, symbolic), or if it does it'll be some sort of fancy transendental horn-substitute.

For the Martyred Unicorn, it'd go pretty much the same with some word substitution:
1.A Good deity (or Nature itself) notices the despicable deed and raises the unicorn from death, or perhaps it draws power from the world around it itself through pure outraged fury to give itself a semblence of rage-fuelled life. It becomes a tool of righteous fury, bane to all living things (or all imperfect ones or ones that have ever, even accidentally, harmed some part of nature or non "natural"/fey/animal etc creatures). Something like a Native Outsider, or perhaps it gains some sort of template, or something like that, almost certainly insane. It doesn't get its horn back, but the stump is symbolic of its outrage - probably permanently bleeding or somesuch, too.
2. Blessed by a Good deity or nature itself, or more likely fuelled by its own outrage and that of the world around it, the spirit of the unicorn rises as an insane, unholy undead, a ghostly being of revenge and mad rage bent on finding and destroying the one that killed it - and anyone who gets in its way or who it mistakes for the murderer. It probably doesn't get its horn back (again, symbolic), or if it does it'll be some sort of diabolical transendental horn-substitute (think Death's "rage-sharpened scythe" from Reaper Man).

Land Outcast
2011-02-22, 03:22 AM
Hum... yep, forgot that little detail; still, I sort of like what i did there with the Blessed and the Martyr :P

If we are speaking about unicorns beyond death I'd go for something like giving:

the Blessed one: the Half Celestial template, but treat the unicorn as having 4 extra HD when determining abilities and caster level.

the Martyr: a reduced version of the Vampire template, give it all modifications save from all SAs (give it only Energy Drain*) and SQs (give it DR 10/silver and magic, Fast Healing, Resistances C/E 10 and Turn Resistance +4).

*Living creatures hit by a vampire’s slam attack (or any other natural weapon the vampire might possess) gain two negative levels. For each negative level bestowed, the vampire gains 5 temporary hit points. A vampire can use its energy drain ability once per round.

Benly
2011-02-22, 05:07 AM
Isn't what you're describing with the Blessed Unicorn exactly what the Deathless type (BoED) is for?

Serpentine
2011-02-22, 05:12 AM
I thought that was just a Good lich. I'll check it out, though (I've got that book open anyway...).

edit: I think you're right, it's definitely worth looking at. However, it appears to be intended to be temporary (specifically for the resolution of a task), rather than a reward exactly. I can certainly tweak it a bit, though, at least for the "undead" version (as opposed to the "resurrected" one)...

Mulletmanalive
2011-02-22, 05:43 AM
Do you reckon the forum rules would allow me to post the Arthurian version of the unicorn i've been working on?

y'know, with the whole horn based object rape thing...

Serpentine
2011-02-22, 06:14 AM
...object rape? o.O Uh... depends?

Mulletmanalive
2011-02-22, 06:37 AM
I'll post it in Fae-o-matic and then link back here so i'll take the heat if someone objects...

Necro_EX
2011-02-22, 06:43 AM
Oh, how right you are. The unicorns do need more love.

Hmmm...is the playground cool with the idea of legacy weapons? If so, I'll write up a unicorn-horn spear as an evil-aligned legacy item. I enjoy writing those up, and I don't believe one exists like that.

Hmmm...Ideas...

Serpentine
2011-02-22, 06:53 AM
I like legacy items. If it helps, I ditch all the penalties for using it and replace them with roleplaying requirements (defending the home whenever it needs you, doing what you can to save drow who aren't Evil or don't want to be, etc.).
On that note: Does anyone have a generic sorta guide to making Legacy Items? Like, with lists consisting of "spell of X level Y times a day" sorta thing?

Necro_EX
2011-02-22, 08:14 AM
And I present to you Beauty Defiled, a legacy weapon forged with the horn of a world's last unicorn, the feathers of a deva, and the spine of an archon.

Beauty Defiled
Beauty Defiled is a weapon born of vile darkness whose sole purpose is the destruction of all that is beautiful and good in the world. It has been wielded by the most depraved individuals througout history and has defiled countless holy sites.

Nonlegacy Game Statistics: +1 mithril greatspear
Omen: The horn atip Beauty Defiled still possesses the essence of the unicorn from which it was unceremoniously removed. Any time it is within 60 feet of a good-aligned creature it attempts to scream warnings to them.

History
Beauty Defiled was once the weapon of Antius Gorehelm, a powerful and terrifying blackguard whose legends are spoken in whispered voices in taverns throughout the land hundreds of years after his death.
Antius Gorhelm was widely known as "the black giant" and "the destroyer" during his time. Legends speak of Antius dethroning kings and slaying the good dragons, a true agent of evil and chaos.
Carrying the greatspear Beauty Defiled into combat Antius was a terrifying beast, it has been said that he fought more like a savage beast than a man. He fell some hundreds of years ago to an unnamed paladin, and the spear was thought lost. (DC 18, Antius's savagery)
Before Antius there have been many wielders of Beauty Defiled. Each of them have been the most vicious and depraved villains of their times, each sought nothing but the destruction of all that is beautiful and good in the world. It is believed that the spear has even possessed many of its wielders throughout the past, but the reality is far more grim; each of Beauty Defiled's wielders was already sick and depraved far before laying hands upon the weapon.
In a time long past the spear was used in a vile ritual to open a gate to the abyss. Women and children were slaughtered by the spear's tip at the hands of an unkown wielder, a blackguard of unimaginable evil. The ritual had succeeded and the deaths of the innocent brought forth countless demons from the deepest pits of the abyss. The world was filled with chaos and black acrid smoke for years as the unnamed blackguard led an unholy army against the good folk of the world and all the sylvan spirits of the wood.
(DC 25, Army of Darkness)
None of the wielders of Beauty Defiled have been so depraved as the one who forged the weapon. A man who wished for nothing greater than the destruction of all things good throughout the planes, Arkus Wintwright. Arkus Wintwright was a feeble and mad old man who despised the fair folk of his world and who despised the purest creatures the most.
He forged the blade with the horn of the only remaining unicorn from his world, the feathers of an astral deva, and the spine of a trumpet archon. All three of these died at his twisted and vile hands and Beauty Defiled was forged with the sole purpose of sewing strife throughout the multiverse.(DC31, To forge Strife)

Beauty Defiled

{table=head]Wielder Level | Attack Penalty | Save Penalty | HP Loss | Abilities

5th | -- | -- | -- | Search and Destroy
6th | -- | -- | 4 | +2 Greatspear
7th | -- | -- | 2 |
8th | -- | -1 | -- | Unholy Strength
9th | -1 | -- | -- |
10th | -- | -- | -- | No Escape
11th | -- | -- | -- | No More Light
12th | -- | -- | 2 | +3 Greatspear
13th | -2 | -- | -- |
14th | -- | -- | -- |
15th | -- | -- | 2 | Unholy
16th | -- | -2 | -- | Black Lightning
17th | -- | -- | -- | Unholy Power
18th | -- | -- | 2 |
19th | -- | -3 | 2 |
20th | -- | -- | 2 | Vile Terror[/table]

Legacy Rituals
Three rituals are required to unlock the full potential of Beauty Defiled.
Antius's Savagery: Like Antius, you must abandon civilised life and orderly existence. You must slay at least one innocent per week or forfeit any abilities granted by Beauty Defiled until this ritual has been completed again (the cost only applies the first time.).
Cost: 1625 gp. Feat Granted: Least Legacy (Beauty Defiled)
Army of Darkness: You must make peaceful contact with a demon with a CR at least equal to your HD. You need not recruit the demon into your own personal army, but the contact must be significant. The ritual must also include the sacrifice of at least one innocent creature with an intelligence of at least 3 and the good alignment.
Cost: 13,500 gp. Feat Granted: Lesser Legacy (Beauty Defiled).
To Forge Strife: Like this vile weapons' creator you must dedicate yourself to spreading strife throughout the multiverse. To receive the benefit of Beauty Defiled's greatest powers you must slay an astral deva, a unicorn, and a trumpet archon and defile their corpses. You need not do this alone, and may make use of any resources available to you, so long as Beauty Defiled draws blood from each of the three. Furthermore, after completion of this ritual you must slay any and all creatures with the good subtype you encounter. Failure to do so will result in the loss of Beauty Defiled's greater powers until you slay good creatures with HD at least equal to yours.
Cost: 38,000 gp. Feat Granted: Greater Legacy (Beauty Defiled).

Wielder Requirements
The black spear Beauty Defiled cannot be wielded by any common villain. No, it is a weapon that is truly vile, and only the most depraved may wield it.

Beauty Defiled Wielder Requirements
Must be chaotic evil
Base attack bonus +3
Knowledge (Religion) 2 ranks

Legacy Item Abilities
All the following are legacy item abilities of Beauty Defiled.

Search and Destroy: Beginning at fifth level, while holding Beauty Defiled you may detect any creatures with the good subtype within 60 feet. You must concentrate (a standard action) to do so. You ignore any damage reduction of the creature when attacking it with Beauty Defiled.

+2 Great Spear: At sixth level, Beauty Defiled is treated as a +2 mithril greatspear.

Unholy Strength: At eighth level Beauty Defiled grants its wielder a permanent +2 bonus to strength.

No Escape: At tenth level you acquire the speed to chase down your victims flawlessly. Your base land speed is inceased by ten feet.

No More Light: At eleventh level Beauty Defiled can cause a touched object to shed darkness as the spell. The caster level for this ability is ten.

+3 Great Spear: At twelth level Beauty Defiled is treated as a +3 mithril greatspear.

Unholy Great Spear: At fifteenth level Beauty Defiled is treated as a +3 unholy mithril greatspear.

Black Lightning: At sixteenth level Beauty Defiled gains this ability. Five times per day as a standard action, you can imbue Beauty Defiled with unholy electrical energy. (This does not harm you.) The item deals an extra 5d6 points of electricity damage on a successful hit.

Unholy Power: At seventeenth level Beauty Defiled grants its chosen wielder a +6 bonus to strength.

Vile Terror: At twentieth level once per day on command, you can frighten to death all creatures within 30 feet, as the weird spell. The save DC is 23 or 19 + your Charisma modifier, whichever is higher.

...after all, what's the point in beauty if it means nothing when it's defiled?

EDIT: If someone can provide a good guide for spell level/daily use for each level of power, I might rewrite this with some BoVD spells. :D

Mulletmanalive
2011-02-22, 08:23 AM
this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5907.0) is Brilliantgameologists' runthrough of the build system in the back of the book. Having deleted the knockoff e-copy i once had for being useless, i have no access to WoL in order to make any sense of it.

Hope it helps though...

PS, i'd modify weapons of legacy so that they don't cost you other resources, rather having caveats for their use or have the feats take away some of your WBL in order to maintain your status of legendary hero/villain/bunny in order to keep the weapon on side...

Yora
2011-02-22, 08:27 AM
I want a unicorn construct. With rainbows.

Debihuman
2011-02-22, 08:42 AM
Considering that the items generally have 5 charges based on the unicorn's hit dice, shouldn't these all come from 5 HD unicorns at least?

Debby

Serpentine
2011-02-22, 08:43 AM
edit @^: Yes, I just noticed that, and have corrected it accordingly. Thanks, though. Dunno where I got 5 from... Possibly because one or two of their abilities are cast as 5th level clerics.

I also.
this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5907.0) is Brilliantgameologists' runthrough of the build system in the back of the book. Having deleted the knockoff e-copy i once had for being useless, i have no access to WoL in order to make any sense of it.

Hope it helps though...Not bad, although I was hoping for something more generalised and adaptable. Rather bitchy, though :smalltongue:

I've added a first draft of a Blessed Unicorn template to the first post. I need to work out what spell-like abilities it has, and also a sample one would be nice... Perhaps after the template's worked out.

drakir_nosslin
2011-02-22, 09:17 AM
I want a unicorn construct. With rainbows.

Here you go (http://games.adultswim.com/robot-unicorn-attack-twitchy-online-game.html) :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2011-02-22, 09:40 AM
Uuuuuh... I believe that's what they were getting at, yes :smallconfused:

Mulletmanalive
2011-02-22, 10:39 AM
You'll have to excuse the RAW mockery, but at no point did Yora specifically state that it had to be a playable D&D statblock for the above creature, thus, by logical reading, he gave her exactly what she asked for :smalltongue::smallbiggrin::smallwink:

Edit: Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169378&highlight=legacy+items) is Strawberryman's retool of the Legacy weapon...I find it a little powerful as it seems to have most of your WBL in one place but costs about 40k gold...each to their own I suppose...

Serpentine
2011-02-22, 11:14 AM
Meh, I like my "roleplaying penalties only" system.

Any thoughts on the template I've done?

Blynkibrax
2011-02-22, 11:45 AM
Here you go (http://games.adultswim.com/robot-unicorn-attack-twitchy-online-game.html) :smallbiggrin:

*Sings* Aaaaaaalways, I wanna be with you,
And make belieeeeeve with you,
And live in harmony, harmony, oh love...

Mulletmanalive
2011-02-22, 12:22 PM
Arthurian Unicorn. No, it's not grimdark, that's the way it appears in the Romances...

Template...

Right, on pure basics, the stat adjustments probably warrant a +1. The Advanced template from Pathfinder is one of the few things that you can't really argue the CR calculations of. Lets see if the other bits are worth +0, +1 or +2...

I'm going to say +1, just about, depends on what you choose the spell-likes to be. Daylight and it's enhanced hooves are it's only offensive vectors at the moment, meaning that it's not really doing enough damage for the CR it's going to end up at [probably evil opponents non-withstanding] but it's defences are certainly worth it. With it's speed, it wouldn't be a stretch for it to manage to break off for long enough to return to full hp and return...

drakir_nosslin
2011-02-22, 07:35 PM
Uuuuuh... I believe that's what they were getting at, yes :smallconfused:

It was meant as a 'I see what you did thar'. Internet and irony, like two lovers who try to make out by throwing rocks at each other. :smallsigh:

Zaydos
2011-02-22, 07:53 PM
Just wanted to pop in and say I approve of this thread and find it very interesting. I'm not afraid to admit I like unicorns (although then again if you do the research they are known for their ability to one-hit elephants and rip open stomachs). Although when I saw unicorn horn rods I was hoping for a Legend reference. These are better for D&D, though.

ThirdEmperor
2011-02-22, 08:45 PM
Hmmmm....

What would be the price for a unicorn horn before being crafted into a magic item?

Debihuman
2011-02-25, 08:40 AM
The unicorn tells you to stuff it when asked about how much its horn is worth. Unicorns in D&D are able to speak Sylvan and Common.

Debby

Serpentine
2011-02-25, 09:26 AM
Heh...
I was thinking pretty much black market only - and therefore quite expensive - in a Good society. Probably cheaper in an evil one.

potatocubed
2011-02-25, 09:46 AM
Possibly relevant to your interests: the proper name for a unicorn horn is an alicorn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alicorn).

Not a lot of people know that.

Serpentine
2011-02-26, 12:44 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_3KIJt17keOY/Sqbia4WyrHI/AAAAAAAABZ8/VomAO1f8B4I/s400/relevant_to_my_interests1.jpg