PDA

View Full Version : Building a third level paladin, please help :(

Darklady2831
2011-02-22, 02:31 AM
So I'm making a Paladin for PBP, and I'm hoping to eventually turn it into a blackguard. So what are some feats that work for both of those classes.

I've heard of this Serenity feat that turns casting to CHA, but where is it?

Basically, here's what I've got so far.
He's going to use a Bastard Sword and no shield. He'll need cleave and Power Attack, plus improved sunder.

So forum, any suggestions for magic items, skills, different feats? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to a Paladin.

Thurbane
2011-02-22, 02:33 AM
Are you planning to go Paladin 11, then trade in 10 levels for Blackguard?

Darklady2831
2011-02-22, 02:36 AM
I am, a slow, spiraling descent into darkness.

I've just never really made a martial character before, I'm pretty much only ever an arcane caster.

Kerghan
2011-02-22, 05:09 AM
Well one of the nicer things about Paladins is that you don't need to rely heavily on Dex if you wear full plate armor. Your touch AC might stink, but you should be able to concentrate on your offensive capabilities once your defenses are out of the way. Have a decent charisma score so you'll have awesome saving throws (cause Pallys only got one good save), high strength so your sundering attempts are actually useful (if you somehow find a way to get your strength to 25 or higher, buy the Dwarfcrusher from Savage Species. When you use power attack with this weapon, it ignores the hardness of the object, but its 3.0 so it might not sit well with your dm). I would pick up the Shock Trooper tactical feat from the Complete Warrior book (and all the requirements that entails), which allows you to apply the penalty from using the Power Attack feat to your AC instead of your attack modifier (in 3.5, attack modifiers are harder to get than AC, so get as much as you can). The high strength also allows you to actually carry and move around in full plate, and keep your constitution at a reasonable score, have enough wisdom to cast the few decent Paladin (or Blackguard) spells available. I would go human if I were you, cause a decent intelligence score might not be viable for your character, thus what few skill points you get are going to be precious. And if you're going to be a power attack junkie, then use a two-handed weapon, and get a magical buckler to serve as a shield.

Greenish
2011-02-22, 06:09 AM
Serenity is from Dragon Mag #306, and makes your Divine Grace, Lay on Hands, Smite and Turn Undead dependent on Wisdom.

Dynamic Priest is from one of the Dragonlance books (Legend of the Twins or something), and makes your casting Cha-based.

Anyhow, I suggest you look for entering to Bone Knight instead of Blackguard. It's pretty similar in theme (though Undead-focused) and better than Blackguard. Bonus points: by RAW the above feats do nothing to a Blackguard, but they'd work for Bone Knight.

SilverLeaf167
2011-02-22, 08:22 AM
Why use a bastard sword in two hands, when you could use a greatsword?

I'll post/edit more suggestions if they come to mind.

Kerghan
2011-02-22, 08:26 AM
Falchion if you want to combine the crazy two-handed power attack madness with wide crit threat range madness.

gallagher
2011-02-22, 08:35 AM
adamantine heavy shield for DR!

nevermind, thought i saw you were using a shield, hence the bastard sword.

i suggest going for a mounted build since you are going pally, and then using the bone knight prestige class. the lance is awesome, but you dont have to go that way.

Darklady2831
2011-02-22, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the input guys, helps alot.
No umm... one question.
Which book is Bone Knight in?

Edit: Never mind, a quick look at wikipedia solved that.