PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 Mage Help..

_felagund
2011-02-22, 08:22 AM
Hey guys,

i am a hardcore PC D&D player but not played so many desktop D&D.

we r playing a desktop D&D 3.5, and i have a nice mage.
level : 2
int : 18
feat : Spell Penetration

my question is i m little confused about spell resistance and will save.

i.e:
if one of my spell says "will save negates", how shall i calculate this.
and how "Spell Resistance" takes place in spells?

can you give me some examples with this

thx in advance for every comment..

Essence_of_War
2011-02-22, 08:29 AM
Spell Resistance (or SR) is a special ability that some creatures have, and that some spells or magic items can grant. When you try to affect a creature that has SR with a spell, you need to make a caster level check (1d20 + Caster Level + 2 (spell penetration feat!)) and this check needs to beat whatever value that creatures SR has. For example, a "Chain Devil" has SR 19, so to affect it with a lightning bolt spell, Mialee, the 9th level wizard (without the spell penetration feat) needs to roll a 10 or higher on her caster level check (1d20 + 9 (her CL)) in order to have her spell have any effect. If she beats its SR, the chain devil will still get a reflex save for half damage.

To calculate the save DC's of your spells, it is 10 + spell level + your casting ability modifier. So if your character has a 1st level spell like "sleep" with "will negates", anyone who makes a will save against DC 15 (10 + 1(sleep's spell level) + 4(your int mod)) will suffer no consequences of the "sleep" spell.

Edit: In its description, every spell includes whether or not SR can defend a creature from its effects, and what type of save, if any, is allowed.

_felagund
2011-02-22, 08:43 AM
Thx alot eow, this was really helpfull.

So if a creature succeeds SR check for my lightning bolt, nothing happens and no reflex save is needed. but if it fails the SR check, it needs to make a successfull reflex save at DC17 (10+3(spell level)+4(int)) with 1d20 + reflex save, am i right?

Spell Resistance (or SR) is a special ability that some creatures have, and that some spells or magic items can grant. When you try to affect a creature that has SR with a spell, you need to make a caster level check (1d20 + Caster Level + 2 (spell penetration feat!)) and this check needs to beat whatever value that creatures SR has. For example, a "Chain Devil" has SR 19, so to affect it with a lightning bolt spell, Mialee, the 9th level wizard (without the spell penetration feat) needs to roll a 10 or higher on her caster level check (1d20 + 9 (her CL)) in order to have her spell have any effect. If she beats its SR, the chain devil will still get a reflex save for half damage.

To calculate the save DC's of your spells, it is 10 + spell level + your casting ability modifier. So if your character has a 1st level spell like "sleep" with "will negates", anyone who makes a will save against DC 15 (10 + 1(sleep's spell level) + 4(your int mod)) will suffer no consequences of the "sleep" spell.

Edit: In its description, every spell includes whether or not SR can defend a creature from its effects, and what type of save, if any, is allowed.

Essence_of_War
2011-02-22, 08:55 AM
Yup! It sounds like you have the hang of it.

And if it makes the save, it only takes half damage, but if it fails, it is affected normally. If you know you'll be fighting lots of things with SR, the "spell penetration" feat can be quite useful.

I'd take a look at this section of the srd:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm
specifically, the part about SR to get a more complete understanding of the particulars, but you've got the idea.

One more thing to note, some spells have a description like "fortitude partial" or "will partial". These spells usually have some sort of static lesser effect if the target passes its save.

Make sure you're clear on the save/SR qualities of all of your spells before you go around tossing them indiscriminately. "Ray of Enfeeblement" can be an especially nice low level spell, for example, since it does not allow saves and hurts your enemy's strength score. The "orb" spells from Spell Compendium/Complete Arcane are especially popular because they allow no save, and no SR (although they only affect a single target!).

_felagund
2011-02-22, 09:20 AM
Thx for usefull info friend.

Yup! It sounds like you have the hang of it.

And if it makes the save, it only takes half damage, but if it fails, it is affected normally. If you know you'll be fighting lots of things with SR, the "spell penetration" feat can be quite useful.

I'd take a look at this section of the srd:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm
specifically, the part about SR to get a more complete understanding of the particulars, but you've got the idea.

One more thing to note, some spells have a description like "fortitude partial" or "will partial". These spells usually have some sort of static lesser effect if the target passes its save.

Make sure you're clear on the save/SR qualities of all of your spells before you go around tossing them indiscriminately. "Ray of Enfeeblement" can be an especially nice low level spell, for example, since it does not allow saves and hurts your enemy's strength score. The "orb" spells from Spell Compendium/Complete Arcane are especially popular because they allow no save, and no SR (although they only affect a single target!).

fortesama
2011-02-22, 09:40 AM
You might also find spells with "see text" in things like the SR or save entry. This usually means that the spell might handle SR, saves and such differently depending on the situation