PDA

View Full Version : What forms should I choose?

TurtleKing
2011-02-22, 09:18 AM
I have might be able to play Phasm using the racial progression from the Homebrew Forums. Here is the link to the class: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8055617&postcount=172.

The areas of a creatures stats that apply to me are size, Hit Die, movement (mode and speed), AC (size, Dex, and natural armor), attacks, Special Attacks, and physical ability scores. The creature's CON only affects the Fortitude. The Special Attacks that work are only the extraordinary ones. I don't get spell like abilities or supernatural. The HD of the creature can be no higher than 7, and no templated creatures. Also won't be doing constructs, demons, devils, and undead. Looking for 6 creature forms to start off with so as not to break the DM/ campaign. The different categories are Biped, Quadriped, Aerial, Aquatic, Subterran, and Battle. I want all forms to be able to fight, but the Battle form is for when I mean business *cracks knuckles*. The Biped form is meant for social interactions. The other forms are meant for the movement modes of overland traveling, flying, swimming, and burrowing.

I have already looked through several books, and picked a multitude of forms that could use. I will post my lists later. Be sure to put what category/ies the creatures could go into, and describe what makes that creature a good pick.

Re'ozul
2011-02-22, 01:17 PM
I am currently somewhat in the same boat, looking for forms for my Boneshifter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175802).

So are you starting at level 7?

The worst that comes to mind easily is a 7 headed hydra. Maybe that for battle?

Since there doesn't seem to be any restriction on type, it really depends on the world you in and what you can get away with.

TurtleKing
2011-02-22, 04:09 PM
The campaign is planar with us currently in Carceri on a mission. This is a backup character. The material plane is Eberron.

Current choices that interest me:

Biped:
Annis Hag - MMI
Girallon - MMI
Xill - MMI
Ettercap MMI
Standard races + variants - various
Dolgaunt - Eberron Campaign Setting
Dragonkin - Draconomicon

Quadriped:
Achaierai - MMI
Howler - MMI
Rust Monster - MMI
Unicorn - MMI

Aerial:
Arrowhawk - MMI
Belker - MMI
Cloaker - MMI
Lilliend - MMI
Lammasu - MMI
Hippogriff - MMI
Griffin - MMI
Gargoyle - MMI
Giant Eagle - MMI
Pegasus - MMI
Psuedodragon - MMI
Spider Eater - MMI
Wyvern - MMI
Snowcloak - Frostburn
Dragonnel - Draconomicon

Aquatic:
Hydra with # of heads increasing with the HD - MMI
Gibbering Mouther - MMI
Water Naga - MMI
Tojanida - MMI
Anguillian - Stormwrack
Hippocampus - Stormwrack

Subterran:
Anhkeg - MMI
Remorhaz - MMI
Xorn - MMI
Ashworm - Sandstorm
Chexryan - Sandstorm
Dustblight - Sandstorm

Battle:
Aranea - MMI
Deinonychus - MMI
Oozes/Jellies/Cubes - various
Runehound - MMIII
Wyvern - MMI
Snow Spider - Frostburn
Spiked Felldrake - Draconomicon
Hoard Scarab - Draconomicon
Tumbling Mound - Sandstorm
Demonthorn Mandrake - MMV
Vivisector - MMV
Fleshraker - MMIII
Swindlespitter - MMIII
Harpoon Spider - MMIII

This list will grow as I find more to possibly use. This is merely what I am starting with, and I can add new forms as time goes by from what I come into contact with. These forms can also be in multiple categories.

Daftendirekt
2011-02-22, 04:12 PM
Is Umber Hulk an option for subterranean?

Combat Reflexes
2011-02-22, 04:36 PM
Seems like you already have the best choices. I would add Giant though, for free martial weapon proficiencies and that sort of candy.

And dire X for some grappletastic action :smallcool:

Urpriest
2011-02-22, 07:12 PM
Just wondering, how did you get to Carceri from Eberron? Doesn't Eberron have its own planes, utterly disconnected from the wider Planescape?

TurtleKing
2011-02-22, 08:00 PM
DM's world plus we started in Asgard as part of an guild that is an interplanar police force. Things I don't get are feats, skills, mental scores, and special qualities. Plus changing from one shape to another upto 14 times a day makes where not everything I wear will be of use or available. It is also best if I try to keep the grappling to a low since the DM is a little irritated from another player playing an Owlbear grappling everything. Even though I have picked up a lot of good forms to choose from I want to narrow it down. Reason why I come to playground asking for your opinion on what forms to get.

dsmiles
2011-02-22, 08:35 PM
Wonder twin powers, ACTIVATE! Sorry, sometimes I can't control it.

Form of a seagull!

TurtleKing
2011-02-23, 04:30 AM
Ok my list of possible options is complete and their source from an earlier post. So let the debate over what be good to use begin. I should also point out I may try to include an human(oid) race in as a bonus to the others if not chosen based for the biped category on where the party could be heading. The vast majority of the known population is human from what I understand.

TurtleKing
2011-02-24, 12:12 AM
I am wondering what feats would be good for me? I will be taking Warshaper next for four levels then move on to a martial class. Fighter is beneficial with the all of the feats, while the Barbarian gets me rage, faster movement, and some more. Rogue is not a good option unless I specifically go for the smaller forms that also can do fine manipulation. Monk is actually pretty good choice due to wearing no armor, faster movement, increases the number of attacks, and a few more bonuses.

Iku Rex
2011-02-24, 12:44 AM
This might be useful: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19528526/updated_Master_of_Many_Forms_Bible__official_wild_ shape_rules .

TurtleKing
2011-02-24, 09:23 PM
Alright I am wondering what feats would be good to take for my character. The next class I will be taking is Warshaper so I can do partial transformations as well. After that I will be taking a martial class such as Fighter, Barbarian, Rogue, or Monk or some variant class based off of one of them. So I am wondering what class would work with the different forms. I have also narrowed down all but the battle form. I can also add 6 points to any stat when I change forms with Strength and Dexterity as the main choices.

Bipedal:
-Hag which fights much like a tank in terms of damage and defense.
-Dragonkin fights more like a skirmisher with his flight.
-Standard races such as human/elf/dwarf and others are the best when social interactions are necessary.

Quadriped:
-Achaierai is fast, hard to hit, hits hard, and has a means to escape.
-Howler is faster than some others but easier to hit. The Howler can embede its spines debuffing the enemy though.
-Unicorn may be as fast as Howler or slightly harder to hit, but does not do as much damage as the other two. The Unicorn however has a better appearance than the other two reducing hostile actions based on looks.

Aerial:
-Hippogriff maybe one of the fastest of the bunch, but is easier to hit and deals less damage than the rest.
-Griffin is slower than the Hippogriff, but is harder to hit and hits harder.
-Pegasus is easier to hit and deals less damage than even the Hippogriff. The Pegasus is however the fastest of the group and has the best appearance.
-Pseudodragon is a break from the size of the others by being tiny but benefits by this in having better flight maneuverability than the rest. the Pseudodragon also has poison allowing to slip away.
-Dragonnelhas average AC and speed. The Dragonnel also has some damaging attacks and the possibility to slip away after using its roar.

Aquatic:
-Hydra is slower than most in the water, but has high damage with the multiple heads.
-Water Naga is one of the faster ones with the capability to devastate with its attack by its poison dealing 1d8 Con damage initially and secondary.
-Tojanida is the fastest, hardest to hit, and can put out lots of damage. The Tojanida also has the capability to escape with its Ink Cloud.
-Anguillan has average speed and AC. The Anguillan may not do lots of damage initially, but can drain the attached enemy.

Subterran:
-Anhkeghas good damage, and capable of shooting acid every once in a while.
-Remorhaz is harder to hit and deals a lot of damage. Also can swallow the enemy dealing even more damage than before.
-Xorn is the hardest to hit and hits hard.
-Ashworm is easier to hit, and doesn't deal lots of damage. The Ashworm however is the fastest, and can disable with its poison.
-Chekryan is the slowest underground, but is one of the most battle capable.

I will be posting my take on the battle forms later. I appreciate your comments on the different forms.