PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Sling Utility Question

Darth Stabber
2011-02-22, 10:11 AM
Can I load Alchemical Items in a sling?

Namely: Thunderstone, acid vial, alchemist fire.

And if I can does it deal damage before the alchemical effects.

ie: bob the alchemist hits random orc with a slung bottle of alchemist fire, does it deal 1d4 in addition to the alchemist fire, or is it just a range upgrade.

If this works the way I think it might, a halfling alchemist could be an interesting character.

Last Laugh
2011-02-22, 10:15 AM
I know I've seen a device designed for launching alchemical items, but I can't remember where.

Launch Item Cantrip from SpC might be what you're looking for.
It has a range of 100+10 ft/level, you make an attack roll if you want to hit something (no penalty for range)
Sor/Wizard only. so sad.

Zaranthan
2011-02-22, 10:49 AM
I can't find my Arms & Equipment Guide, but I recall a weapon in there called the "alchemist's sling" that did exactly what you're asking for. I believe it did deal 1d4 damage as well as inflicting the alchemical effect on the target, but had a -1 to hit. Don't quote me on that.

Darth Stabber
2011-02-22, 10:50 AM
I know I've seen a device designed for launching alchemical items, but I can't remember where.

Launch Item Cantrip from SpC might be what you're looking for.
It has a range of 100+10 ft/level, you make an attack roll if you want to hit something (no penalty for range)
Sor/Wizard only. so sad.

Luckily Craft(Alchemy) is a class skill for both sorcerer and wizard. I can't believe i missed that spell. I want to get out dragon compendium and look up the other alchemical items in it. Sad I can't sling 'em though. I want to make a decent sling using character (not a crusader, silly cheesy 1d2 crusader).

Daftendirekt
2011-02-22, 10:53 AM
I can't find my Arms & Equipment Guide, but I recall a weapon in there called the "alchemist's sling" that did exactly what you're asking for. I believe it did deal 1d4 damage as well as inflicting the alchemical effect on the target, but had a -1 to hit. Don't quote me on that.

You are thinking of the Gnome Calculus. Gives alchemical items a 50' range increment, but specifically does not alter their damage.

Arms and Equipment pg. 6

There are also Alchemist's Arrows. They do damage appropriate to the bow they are being fired from, as well as the 1d4 from the alchemist's fire.

Also Arms and Equipment.

Zaranthan
2011-02-22, 10:58 AM
You are thinking of the Gnome Calculus. Gives alchemical items a 50' range increment, but specifically does not alter their damage.

Arms and Equipment pg. 6

There are also Alchemist's Arrows. They do damage appropriate to the bow they are being fired from, as well as the 1d4 from the alchemist's fire.

Also Arms and Equipment.

Aha! Figured I was mashing up two items. Thanks.

Last Laugh
2011-02-22, 11:06 AM
Luckily Craft(Alchemy) is a class skill for both sorcerer and wizard. I can't believe i missed that spell. I want to get out dragon compendium and look up the other alchemical items in it. Sad I can't sling 'em though. I want to make a decent sling using character (not a crusader, silly cheesy 1d2 crusader).

Ditherbombs from Races of the Dragon are O.K.

They are pretty expensive for decent damage, but ignore hardness of stone. Around 10 ft AoE

That said the Epic Alchemy Ditherbombs cost around 3k and deal something like 2d6 x 2d6 damage.