PDA

View Full Version : How to make Beguiler/Rainbow Servant effective?

Analytica
2011-02-22, 12:10 PM
I might need a character for an upcoming high-level D&D 3.5 game which I anticipate can get quite challenging. One idea I toy with is a Sun Elf Beguiler 6/Ruathar 3/Rainbow Servant 10 (starting around that level). Likely text does NOT trump table here, so this character could cast spells as a 15th level Beguiler with access to all Beguiler and Cleric spells, as well as those of the Good, Law, and Air domain, and Advanced Learning as a 15th level Beguiler. "Must-have" feats include Versatile Spellcaster and Practiced Spellcaster, "must-have" items anything that boosts INT.

The problem is, I am down two spell levels from Rainbow Servant. How can I make up for this (such as through my very large list of spontaneously castable spells)? Feat, spell, item suggestions? Useful tactics? I am unwilling and likely unable to use questionable rulings, infinite loops, RAW over RAI interpretations etc, but outside of that am interested in any tips you can give me. :smallsmile:

Chilingsworth
2011-02-22, 12:29 PM
How do you figure you get advanced lerning as a 15th level Beguiler, rather than as a 6th? :smallconfused:

Advanced Learning is not part of "normal" caster level progression, but rather a specific class feature.

You have your must-have feats down, and for items you have enhancement item of int +6, and int tome +5 as obvious choices. Other than that, maybe a ring of wizardry and copious numbers of pearls of power whatever the spontaneous caster equivilent of pearls of power are called would help abit.

EDIT, my bad pearls of power, not for spntaneous casters!:smallredface:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-02-22, 12:39 PM
The feat Versatile Spellcaster in Races of the Dragon will give you early access to spells of one higher level. RAW it works this way, and RAI there was an Ask Wizards article regarding this which is no longer up. Someone had inquired about a Sorcerer using this feat to spend two of his highest level spell slots to cast an Extended version of the highest level spell he knew, effectively casting a spell one level higher than what he had available, which WotC said was within the capabilities of that feat. Since you would automatically know the entire Cleric spell list, you could spend two of your highest level spell slots to cast a spell one level higher. Since you automatically know every Beguiler spell of a level you can cast, you would also be able to use that to cast spells of that level from the Beguiler list. With this feat you'll be able to cast 8th level spells starting out, though not many per day, and at 20th you'll be able to cast 9th level spells.

You would have Advanced Learning as a 6th level Beguiler. That's a separate class feature from spellcasting, and prestige classes that advance spellcasting don't improve it. If you go Beguiler 5/ Ruathar 3/ RS 10/ Beguiler 1, you'll be able to cast 8th level spells when you gain that Beguiler 6 Advanced Learning and be able to pick Greater Shadow Evocation, for example.

Analytica
2011-02-22, 01:45 PM
How do you figure you get advanced lerning as a 15th level Beguiler, rather than as a 6th?

Advanced Learning is not part of "normal" caster level progression, but rather a specific class feature.

You would have Advanced Learning as a 6th level Beguiler. That's a separate class feature from spellcasting, and prestige classes that advance spellcasting don't improve it. If you go Beguiler 5/ Ruathar 3/ RS 10/ Beguiler 1, you'll be able to cast 8th level spells when you gain that Beguiler 6 Advanced Learning and be able to pick Greater Shadow Evocation, for example.

IIRC, this was addressed either by CustServ, the FAQ or a developer stating on a forum that it was RAI that Advanced Learning was considered part of the standard spellcasting progression and thus scaled with spellcaster level. Granted, this is just my leaky memory talking, and it also depends on whether you consider those sources reliable or not, but it is likely the interpretation that will be enforced. It makes relatively little difference in the end, I think.

The feat Versatile Spellcaster in Races of the Dragon will give you early access to spells of one higher level. RAW it works this way, and RAI there was an Ask Wizards article regarding this which is no longer up. Someone had inquired about a Sorcerer using this feat to spend two of his highest level spell slots to cast an Extended version of the highest level spell he knew, effectively casting a spell one level higher than what he had available, which WotC said was within the capabilities of that feat. Since you would automatically know the entire Cleric spell list, you could spend two of your highest level spell slots to cast a spell one level higher. Since you automatically know every Beguiler spell of a level you can cast, you would also be able to use that to cast spells of that level from the Beguiler list. With this feat you'll be able to cast 8th level spells starting out, though not many per day, and at 20th you'll be able to cast 9th level spells.

This may or may not be my DM's interpretation. Versatile clearly allows spells higher than you can cast, the question is if I know Beguiler spells of level X before I have actual level X spell slots in the row I correspond to in the class progression table. I can see it interpreted either way, but will argue for the more lenient interpretation, which will leave me far less weakened by Rainbow Servant. Your perspective here is valuable, as it implies this is an accepted interpretation. :smallsmile:

With this build, what should I focus on in a combat situation? Buffing, debuffing, battlefield control? I am woefully inexperienced in effective tactics, so if you can suggest particular spell combos, that is greatly appreciated. :smallsmile: