PDA

View Full Version : Could This Help the Soulknife?

wayfare
2011-02-22, 02:34 PM
I had an idea recently when trying to work on a soulknife fix. I'm not certain it will be a huge help, which is why i take it to you, playgrounders, that I may defer to your superior wisdom.

Anyway, i was just thinking, would the soulknife be a better bet if attacks made with a mindblade were touch attacks?

Not a comprehensive fix, I know. But i was wondering if i might be a step in the right direction.

Qwertystop
2011-02-22, 03:33 PM
I had an idea recently when trying to work on a soulknife fix. I'm not certain it will be a huge help, which is why i take it to you, playgrounders, that I may defer to your superior wisdom.

Anyway, i was just thinking, would the soulknife be a better bet if attacks made with a mindblade were touch attacks?

Not a comprehensive fix, I know. But i was wondering if i might be a step in the right direction.

I don't know enough about the Soulknife to know how much this would matter, but I do know that unless the target is wearing some kind of extremely cursed armor, letting melee ignore all armor and shield AC is ALWAYS good.

Nero24200
2011-02-22, 05:31 PM
There would need to be a limiting factor that scales with level, otherwise they become an essential melee dip but nothing more.

wayfare
2011-02-22, 09:27 PM
There would need to be a limiting factor that scales with level, otherwise they become an essential melee dip but nothing more.

Would getting a touch based mind-blade at 6th level be a significant deterrent?

Also, was considering including a clause that applied touch based mind-blade only when psionic focus is also active.

Shpadoinkle
2011-02-22, 10:03 PM
Soulknives suck because they're just pathetic fighters who get a free magic weapon, except it's extremely limited because you can only put certain enchantments on it and you can't even get its enchantment bonus as high as the ones you can get on a real sword. They don't even get full BAB for crap's sake. For a class who has nothing going for it besides hitting stuff, that's horrifyingly bad.

If you just rolled the soulknife together with the psychic warrior class, I think the result would be a decent contender.

ForzaFiori
2011-02-22, 11:19 PM
While this helps one of the soulknifes many faults (that it sucks at melee), it doesn't solve others, such as it being one-diminsional. Even if you make it great at hitting and doing damage, it still never gets better than a fighter, or MAYBE barbarian.