PDA

View Full Version : What sort of motivations would drive evil warforged?

randomhero00
2011-02-22, 03:32 PM
The best one I can think of (and now this sounds so cool to play) is to build major magic factories all over constantly churning out new warforged until they were the dominate race, and all other races were either assimilated or destroyed.

I'm seeing him as lawful evil. He want's to recreate society based on more efficient means.

Shyftir
2011-02-22, 03:40 PM
If you go with that you should name their leader Borg.

druid91
2011-02-22, 03:46 PM
Or.... Ifestace Sruintiles.

kamikasei
2011-02-22, 03:58 PM
KILL ALL HUMANS.

I couldn't let that go unsaid.

Ahem. Is this specifically in Eberron?

Daftendirekt
2011-02-22, 04:09 PM

I dunno, I really want to make a red-and-gold WF warlock named Stark.

Cog
2011-02-22, 04:31 PM
Borg? Sounds Swedish.

Daftendirekt
2011-02-22, 04:35 PM
Borg? Sounds Swedish.

The more you know. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_%28Star_Trek%29)

Cog
2011-02-22, 04:37 PM
The more you know. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_%28Star_Trek%29)
Indeed! (http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Lily_Sloane) :smallcool:

randomhero00
2011-02-22, 04:47 PM
Come on. Can no one think of another?

The only one I've got is the opposite. Make all humanoids more like warforged (removing frontal lobotomy etc..)

So he may see himself as inferior, and want to make up for it by "improving" the races..

druid91
2011-02-22, 04:53 PM
Perhaps some fool religious officer told him to "be fruitful and multiply" as part of a generic sermon to the troops, a mixture of humans and him.

He took this as an order. Unfortunately his nation lost that war. He no longer has any higher-ups to contradict this mistake, and everyone else is the enemy in the way of expansion.

Telonius
2011-02-22, 04:58 PM
Well, you could have the standard "We are superior beings" schtick, but that's kind of old and cliche'd.

You could subvert the "robot" part of the 'forged, and have them tend towards nature-loving, to an excess. As "parts of nature" themselves, that neither add to nor detract from a habitat, they believe that the imbalance brought by intelligent (non-construct) life is evil, and must be eradicated.

Third Law of Robotics gone mad: they decide to go a little too far in "protecting" the other species. Imprisonment, brainwashing, and all that fun stuff.

Purely Utilitarian Evil: for the 'forged, they don't really see much difference in summoning Nature's Ally, summoning a devil, and creating a bunch of undead. Seeing no evidence that they have a soul themselves, and believing that this life is all there is, they are perfectly willing to employ corrupt or demonic forces, or commit evil acts, as long as it serves their own ends. (Note that they are perfectly willing to use good means as well, as long as those means are more effective to their ends). While strictly speaking this might sound neutral, the nature of the D&D universe (with certain acts "always evil" and alignment-shifting until atoned-for) would make the Warforged tend towards evil.

Cog
2011-02-22, 04:59 PM
Mmm. Okay, time to cast Atonement for my diversion.

"Hey, those fleshbags look pretty ugly on the outside. What do they look like on the inside?
It's for the people's own good, really. You humanoids are just too irrational to govern yourselves.
I'll never see a fellow construct enslaved again. No cost is too high to prevent such an atrocity.
How dare you humanids destroy our Creation Forges? It's the right of any sentient being to reproduce.
Sorry, we need to put a spelljamming bypass through here. It's just a job. It's not our fault none of you bothered to stop by the bureau's office in Sigil.

Asheram
2011-02-22, 05:09 PM
The best one I can think of (and now this sounds so cool to play) is to build major magic factories all over constantly churning out new warforged until they were the dominate race, and all other races were either assimilated or destroyed.

I could imagine something like that.
Imagine a hidden factory far in the mountains or deep underground. Built to mass-produce warforged and staffed by warforged. Toiling day and night to build support for an army long since vanquished.
The workers never tire of their task, but the finished soldiers do, so they set up sentries, explore the mountains and slowly expand their lines to set up new outposts

Think of a grey goo scenario with warforged. Anything that resist is an enemy and to be defeated, towns something to be captured, countries something to be conquered.

All while waiting for an order to stop that will never come.

Daftendirekt
2011-02-22, 05:10 PM
Sorry, we need to put a spelljamming bypass through here. It's just a job. It's not our fault none of you bothered to stop by the bureau's office in Sigil.
[/LIST]

It's a bypass! You've gotta build bypasses! It's been on display at the local keep for 2 years now!

Cog
2011-02-22, 05:12 PM
Third Law of Robotics gone mad: they decide to go a little too far in "protecting" the other species. Imprisonment, brainwashing, and all that fun stuff.
That's the First law, by the way. Second is to follow orders, Third is to protect the robot itself.

Asheram
2011-02-22, 05:15 PM
That's the First law, by the way. Second is to follow orders, Third is to protect the robot itself.

*coughs* Zeroth law.

Cog
2011-02-22, 05:18 PM
*coughs* Zeroth law.
Which was extrapolated by the robots from the First law. IIRC, it was never programmed into them.

FMArthur
2011-02-22, 05:21 PM
I can see a Lawful Evil warforged-controlled government persistently enacting on their moment-of-creation instructions as caretakers of the humanoid races and having ridiculously strict judgements on what things are for the good of all. I can easily imagine that they would be particularly farsighted in deciding whether to perform "evil" acts for a better chance at a "good" future.

Cogidubnus
2011-02-22, 05:25 PM
Cogs. I imagine they drive most warforged.

Ahem.

Back to the matter in hand, maybe he views his kind's creation as an injustice (they were built to serve, after all), and so wants to revenge them upon their creators (read: all mortals) and give them a taste of their own medicine.

dsmiles
2011-02-22, 05:26 PM
Well, OP, How about this one:

Warforged are artificial life forms, correct? Perhaps they have no emotions, only a cold, logical thirst for knowledge. They torture and kill solely for the sake of knowledge. They plot and scheme, hiding in other kingdoms, solely to find out how the people of said kingdom would react. No one creature can learn everything about everything, but they'll darn sure try. Reading it second-hand from books isn't good enough, the information must be first-hand knowledge to be of any value. So, each individual warforged (who are effectively immortal, barring violent death) must seek its own answers, perpetuating the cycle of violence.

[/$0.02]

Cog
2011-02-22, 05:33 PM
Cogs. I imagine they drive most warforged.
Hey, now. There's no need to get personal. :smallamused:

Asheram
2011-02-22, 05:39 PM
Which was extrapolated by the robots from the First law. IIRC, it was never programmed into them.

Agreed. But when we talk about harm we might consider mental harm, as occured in Liar!.

The Zeroth law would be better to apply if you were going to forcibly confine a race.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-22, 05:49 PM
Inefficiency must be eliminated, no? Inefficiency means waste and waste will not be tolerated.
Warforged, requiring neither sleep, nor food, nor breath, are more efficient then the biological, no? Therefore, the biological must be be eliminated.
Q.E.D.

randomhero00
2011-02-22, 06:04 PM
Inefficiency must be eliminated, no? Inefficiency means waste and waste will not be tolerated.
Warforged, requiring neither sleep, nor food, nor breath, are more efficient then the biological, no? Therefore, the biological must be be eliminated.
Q.E.D.

You know too much citizen. Now move along.

Asheram
2011-02-22, 06:07 PM
You know too much citizen. Now move along.

*Cry* Now you've really made me want to see what would happen if Eberron ever evolved into a Paranoia-like setting.

Slipperychicken
2011-02-22, 06:10 PM
Wait... do you want to know what goals an evil warforged would pursue? Or what would inspire one to make the factories?

Maybe the programmer/creator gave it some kind of command to pursue "until I get back" or "until I tell you to stop". Programmer disappears, command never terminated = motivation.

Perhaps this warforged has feelings?
Bitterness against it's creator for making it imperfect/flawed/subservient (a bit of a religious reference there, but it's whatever you make of it).
Greed: it wants power in the form of domination of robots and/or people.
Revenge: our little robot wants to dominate living beings (or maybe just it's former master) and make them feel what it's like to be enslaved.
Loneliness: It wants to find/make others of its kind, for love, companionship, family, flanking buddies, etc..

Along that line of thought, it might become an abolitionist, trying to liberate slaves, living and otherwise?

You could also go all-out GLaDOS (evil A.I. from Portal), justify everything with "doing science" Cake. Heck, you could even add the clunky voicing for flavor.

Cerlis
2011-02-22, 06:13 PM
daddy issues.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-22, 06:36 PM
You know too much citizen. Now move along.:smallamused:
I have ultraviolet clearance.

Frozen_Feet
2011-02-22, 07:00 PM
The warforged was made for exploring, contacting other cultures, analyzing and recording data, and seeking out materials to build more of its kind. Unfortunately, due to a glitch in programming, "seeking out materials to build more of its kind" has come to overwrite everything else - which means it will break everything and everyone to their component parts.

His catchphrase: "I come in peace."

Worira
2011-02-22, 07:06 PM
"You come to pieces."

Anyway, a Warforged who likes fighting, and isn't too picky about whether the other guy wants to fight or not.

bloodtide
2011-02-22, 07:36 PM
Have you seen the movie ''I, Robot''? It has that exact basic plot. You have the robots that want to make life better, but what is best or efficient is not always what is liked by people. For example, the warforged could gather up all the unhealthy food, and force people to only eat healthy food.

You could Goggle the Zeitgeist Movement, as efficiency is their basic idea for humanity.

How about Battlestar Galatica(re-imaged) that's another example of robots that what to remake the universe 'better and more efficient'..without humans.

Or the Replicators from Stargate. And the Borg as already mentioned.

You want an example of an evil warforged army...how about the evil Decpticons?

Frozen_Feet
2011-02-22, 08:17 PM
Anyway, a Warforged who likes fighting, and isn't too picky about whether the other guy wants to fight or not.

Taking this a bit further, a Warforged realizes it's made for war, and when there's none around, tries to cause one just because. Bit like a certain Major.

Arbane
2011-02-22, 08:18 PM
An experimental-model Warforged, with a motivation to improve itself. Doesn't SOUND all that awful, until you realize it doesn't have any ethical restraints as to _how_.

For bonus points, give it a female identity and name it Shodan.

big teej
2011-02-22, 09:46 PM
just so y'all know...

at some point in the future. the warforged conquering the world idea?
its getting used as a major plotline in a campaign.

Chuckthedwarf
2011-02-22, 09:51 PM
I'm not sure how wanting your race to prosper is evil.

Now, hurting others TOO MUCH while doing it could probably be seen as such.

So, yeah, rampant robot apocalypse, cue the Terminator, Skynet and everything sounds like an easy and surefire way to do it.

Or, depending on the warforged status in society, he could want to reach previously impossible positions and then use his status to oppress non-warforged races.

Yukitsu
2011-02-22, 10:06 PM
Resources. Humans, dwarves etc. are industrializing, and that means mass consumption of iron, wood, coal etc. They're destroying, dismantling and terrorizing industrialists, and killing anyone that defends them. Why? Because those resources are their only means of reproduction, and as such, they're doing it to boost their population, create new generations, repair the old ones etc.

They may be a bit too extreme compared to the norm, because human salvagers were murdering the warforged and selling the parts, and as such, they have a strong hatred towards the other evil side.