PDA

View Full Version : A Spirit Shaman question

SamTheSane
2011-02-22, 08:29 PM
So, a friend of mine is starting up a campaign, and I was thinking of making a dream dwarf Spirit Shaman. By in large, the class looks fun, with some interesting mechanics and abilities, but I was wondering how much having casting and save dc proc off different stats hurt.

I have heard of the Dynamic Priest feat... but the source seems a little obscure, I guess. So, is this feat kinda mandatory for the Spirit Shaman, or are they fun enough without it?

Random info: starting at lvl 3, 32 point buy

sonofzeal
2011-02-22, 08:36 PM
Hardly mandatory. And it's setting-specific, meaning no guarantee of usability in any given campaign. It's nice, but you function without it.

Cog
2011-02-22, 09:13 PM
So, a friend of mine is starting up a campaign, and I was thinking of making a dream dwarf Spirit Shaman. By in large, the class looks fun, with some interesting mechanics and abilities, but I was wondering how much having casting and save dc proc off different stats hurt.

I have heard of the Dynamic Priest feat... but the source seems a little obscure, I guess. So, is this feat kinda mandatory for the Spirit Shaman, or are they fun enough without it?

Random info: starting at lvl 3, 32 point buy
Just focus on buffs, battlefield control, and the like.

You're casting off the Druid list. You can do just fine without ever offering anybody a save.

SamTheSane
2011-02-22, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I may need to look further into the druid spell list... never really tried playing one before.

Cog
2011-02-22, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I may need to look further into the druid spell list... never really tried playing one before.
You can still be a bear (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/animalShapes.htm) riding a bear (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) while summoning bears (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonNaturesAllyII.htm). Since Druid is one of the three core fullcasting lists, it gets a lot of splat book love, too.

Zonugal
2011-02-22, 11:07 PM
If you haven't considered a signature weapon yet I might suggest the harpoon from Frostburn. By the time you reach sixth level you can begin to seriously lock down ethereal creatures and start treating them like angry cattle.

Greenish
2011-02-23, 08:04 AM
If you haven't considered a signature weapon yet I might suggest the harpoon from Frostburn.The what now? :smallconfused:

Yuki Akuma
2011-02-23, 08:08 AM
All characters have a signature weapon. The weapon they use most often, the one they always automatically reach for when the **** hits the fan and it's go time.

He's saying our sane friend here should use a harpoon. Because they're cool.

Leon
2011-02-23, 09:25 AM
The what now? :smallconfused:

Its why the Pen is mightier than the Sword - its a lot harder to write with a sword.

Hazzardevil
2011-02-23, 09:46 AM
My opinoin on spirit shamans from what I have looked in books and handbooks of is that they don't need dynamic priest but it steps up teh power a lot.

Yuki Akuma
2011-02-23, 09:47 AM
My opinoin on spirit shamans from what I have looked in books and handbooks of is that they don't need dynamic priest but it steps up teh power a lot.

Not really: the best Druid (and therefore Spirit Shaman) spells don't require saves.

Such as Summon Action Economy Breakage (Hippie Version) I through IX.

(Also known as Turn a 4th Level Spell Slot into Cure Light Wounds, Cure Moderate Wounds and Neutralise Poison.)

Gnaeus
2011-02-23, 11:39 AM
(Also known as Turn a 3rd Level Spell Slot into Cure Light Wounds, Cure Moderate Wounds and Neutralise Poison.)

You are wearing your Ring of the Beast, right?

I find that my spirit shaman is mostly a summoner, with a couple of non-summoning tricks. They get some nice attack spells, many of which require saves, but not all (blinding spittle!). But a lot of the spells which are crazy good on a wildshaped druid shared with his pet (like bite of the wereX) are kind of mediocre on a SS.

Yuki Akuma
2011-02-24, 06:57 AM
You are wearing your Ring of the Beast, right?

Oh hey, I didn't know about that.

I don't use Hippie Flavour Action Economy Breakage very often. I tend towards Vanilla Flavour.