PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Sorcerer Prestige Classes

theonesin
2011-02-22, 10:33 PM
I'm making a new character for a DnD 3.5 game, and I want to be a Sorcerer who specializes in debuffing/controlling the battlefield, as the party has plenty of damage dealers already (Ranger, Monk, and Scout). I already found a good post for spells to take for this purpose, but I'm at a loss for what PrCs to go into.

The party is level 3, and I'm playing a Human(probably) with the White Dragonspawn template. Due to this, my character will be Chaotic Evil (though it's not that bad since we already have a Lawful Evil cleric in the party), though the idea of debilitating enemies instead of killing them quickly seems to fit with that.

No real limit on books, except for Psionics and Incarnum. Also, no Incanatrix.

tyckspoon
2011-02-22, 10:50 PM
Most of the good Wizard prestiges are also good for Sorcerers, although sometimes harder to get into, especially when they have high requirements for types/number of spells known. I don't recall any that focus especially on debuff/battlefield control off-hand.. Initiate of the Seven Veils, perhaps, using the wall and sphere options of the veils.

Keld Denar
2011-02-22, 11:04 PM
Fatespinner is also good for a debuff sorcerer. 4 levels are great. If you can bribe/beg/sleepwith your DM to remove the HD cap from the 5th level ability, its actually really useful for that one spell you REALLY want to work.

theonesin
2011-02-22, 11:21 PM
Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil sounded really interesting, but the skill requirements would make it come in late. That, and being forced to take feats for abjuration spells which there are few, if any, debuffs for, makes me really hesitant to take it.

Fatespinner looked really interesting, but at the same time, their ability "Spin Fate", while would work really well for debuffs, seems too limited in the number of uses (unless I'm reading something wrong).

dspeyer
2011-02-23, 02:11 AM
Mastery of Shaping from Archmage could be very handy for battlefield control, if you're going high level enough.

Mage of the Arcane Order is always good, if you can afford the prerequisites.

Yogibear41
2014-04-30, 01:16 AM
Have a look at fiend-blooded from Heroes of Horror, gets you a few free spells and other nifty abilities.

Ikeren
2014-04-30, 01:33 AM
Sandshaper is classic for adding huge amounts of spells known.
Abjurant Champion, despite being more gish like, is great from 10+ if you've gotten martial weapon proficiencies from anywhere (elf, whatever). 1 feat (combat casting, class pre-req), and you grab 5 levels of a great chasis: D10, Full BAB, Full casting, free quicken+extend on abjurations level 3 and down.

zingbobco000
2014-05-04, 11:43 AM
Look at the ultimate magus PrC I find it quite handy because it gives you a nice amount of SPD and as you seem to have made up for your wizard level being one behind with white dragonspawn, you should take 5 levels in wizard next, then 10 levels in ultimate magus and the final two levels in sorcerer gives you the casting of a 16th level sorcerer and a 12th level wizard. You won't be able to cast 9th level spells though, but that will change in epic. By level 20 you can cast

6 6 6 6 6 6 6 5 3
4 4 4 4 3 3 2 +

Which is nice. BTW, you are considered a dragon so you can be venerable, and take the soverign dragon archetype loredrake for 18th level casting and 9th level spells.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-04, 12:41 PM
It's a shame about your alignment, considering this trick (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267805#4) probably adds more to your character than White Dragonspawn.

Note that the Dragonspawn template was updated in Dragons of Krynn. It gives very specific rules on becoming free from your creator, which includes increasing your level adjustment by an additional +2. If you don't go through this process of becoming free, then you can't even play the character because he's being mind controlled by his NPC creator. White Dragonspawn either makes the character completely unplayable, or it has a +3 LA.

zingbobco000
2014-05-09, 01:27 PM
Incantrix is great, Ultimate Magus is good, initiatie of the seven folds is also good, and so is sandshaper.

WeaselGuy
2014-05-09, 02:46 PM
Obligatory Ur-Priest mention... because, hey, 9th level stolen cleric spells in a 10 level prestige-package...

gorfnab
2014-05-09, 03:46 PM
Sacred Exorcist is okay if you can swing the Knowledge skill prereqs (Education feat or whatnot).

Ruathar is a neat little 3 level prestige class with easy prereqs, if you're on good terms with elves.

Rogue into Unseen Seer is kinda nice for a sneaky caster.

HighWater
2014-05-09, 03:54 PM
Mage of the Arcane Order is always good, if you can afford the prerequisites.
I second this, motao gives some versatility to spells restricted sorcerers, as well as giving 2 bonus metamagic feats to repay the entry costs. Even better if your DM is willing to prepare the "prepare spells" clauses. Sadly, the sorcerer doesn't really get appetiting prestige classes that wizards don't also get.