PDA

View Full Version : What buffs affect BAB?

dob
2011-02-22, 10:56 PM
What spell effects or other buffs affect BAB?

Obviously there's Divine Power and Transformation. Are there any others? In particular, are there any that add to BAB instead of setting it to a given value?

Chuckthedwarf
2011-02-22, 10:59 PM
Outside of these ones, I honestly can't think of one.

And I've covered most non-setting specific content in 3.5.

Although there's always a chance I missed something...

Keld Denar
2011-02-22, 11:02 PM
A Kensai can loan his BAB to other people. Its of questionable usefulness when faking entry requirements...YMMV.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-02-22, 11:05 PM
A Bard's Inspire Greatness combined with Divine Power or Transformation will give you BAB in excess of your character level. If that Bard is a War Chanter he can use Combine Songs to use Inspire Greatness with Inspire Legion and everyone will get a BAB equal to that of the highest-BAB-creature affected.

dob
2011-02-22, 11:34 PM
A Bard's Inspire Greatness combined with Divine Power or Transformation will give you BAB in excess of your character level. If that Bard is a War Chanter he can use Combine Songs to use Inspire Greatness with Inspire Legion and everyone will get a BAB equal to that of the highest-BAB-creature affected.

How does that trick work? Inspire Greatness says it grants you two extra hit dice and some other bonuses, not temporary levels or BAB bonuses.

JaronK
2011-02-22, 11:37 PM
Divine Power sets your BAB to your hit dice, hence the combo.

Warchanter 10 combined with Kensai gets insane... the Kensai adds his class level to the BAB of the highest BAB person in the party, then the Warchanter resets everyone's BAB to that of the newly heightened guy. So a Crusader 16 could have his BAB set to 26 by the Kensai, and then at level 16 the entire party would have 26 BAB. If there's a Warhulk in the party, stuff just got real.

JaronK

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-02-22, 11:38 PM
Your Character Level is what Divine power and Transformation make your BAB equal to. Your Character Level is equal to your total Hit Dice regardless of source, so it includes class levels, racial hit dice, and Inspire Greatness hit dice.

MeeposFire
2011-02-23, 04:50 AM
There is also the questionable wording to the enchanted mind arrow ability. It says you add the enhancement bonus from the feature to your BAB (not your attack bonus). Is it intended? Probably not but soulknives could use the boost anyway.

dob
2011-02-23, 10:04 AM
There is also the questionable wording to the enchanted mind arrow ability. It says you add the enhancement bonus from the feature to your BAB (not your attack bonus). Is it intended? Probably not but soulknives could use the boost anyway.

Nice find. From where I sit, the reading is unambiguous; it adds the bonus to BAB, giving you extra iterative attacks. Do you happen to know what the counterargument is?

Daftendirekt
2011-02-23, 10:05 AM
If there's a Warhulk in the party, stuff just got real.

JaronK

How would War Hulk affect this at all? Your bonus to hit and your Base Attack Bonus are not the same at all. Yeah, War Hulk has a really good to-hit, but from strength bonus, not from base attack. In fact, as I'm sure you know, it gets NO bass base attack.

http://www.walkeranglingwear.co.uk/ekmps/shops/boneheadshirtuk/images/-bass-attack-kids-fishing-t-shirt-848-p.jpg

Grendus
2011-02-23, 10:07 AM
Probably that BAB is supposed to be the base limit, so it violates the RAI of core. But by RAW and RAI of the class, it's probably intentional, Attack Bonus and Base Attack Bonus are two very separate things in D&D lingo.

Douglas
2011-02-23, 10:24 AM
How would War Hulk affect this at all? Your bonus to hit and your Base Attack Bonus are not the same at all. Yeah, War Hulk has a really good to-hit, but from strength bonus, not from base attack. In fact, as I'm sure you know, it gets NO bass base attack.

http://www.walkeranglingwear.co.uk/ekmps/shops/boneheadshirtuk/images/-bass-attack-kids-fishing-t-shirt-848-p.jpg
Think not about how the War Hulk contributes to the bonus, but how War Hulk benefits from the bonus. Take a standard War Hulk and then set his BAB equal to the highest BAB in the party - which was first boosted by a Kensai loaning extra BAB. Level 16 War Hulk with all his normal strength plus 26 BAB.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-02-23, 10:27 AM

He is referring of the Warchanters ability to make the BAB of the party equal to the one with the highest BAB in the party, so in theory if you have a fighter 20 a Warchanter and a Hulking Hurler, you can give the HH the BAB of the fighter, thus enabling Iterative attacks and a ridiculous attack bonus

Edit: Hey I am supposed to be the ninja, not ninja'ed

JaronK
2011-02-23, 11:14 AM
Indeed, the entire balancing factor of the Warhulk is that while he gets +2 Str every level, he gets no BAB. Now remove that entirely. In fact, now set his BAB to 10 higher than his level. Said Warhulk now pretty much auto hits with every attack and kills everything in the area VERY easily. Imagine a Warhulk using Shock Trooper at level 16 to add +52 damage to every swing while charging... and heck, give him a nice Valorous spiked chain or something to double that damage up to 104, which is applied to every single enemy within his 20' reach (and don't forget the +30 to damage fron class strength and Valorous alone), which basically can't miss. Instant board sweeper.

JaronK

Andion Isurand
2011-02-23, 04:26 PM
Skillful (+2) weapons (Complete Arcane) increase your BAB to medium progression (and grant proficiency with the weapon).