PDA

View Full Version : Mage dreamer

Veliane
2011-02-23, 12:09 AM
Im looking for a mage type class that deals specifically with dreams, 2ed or 3ed for a 3.5 game, I figure I can modify a 2ed class to 3rd easy enough I just dont know of any base material to go off of

Cog
2011-02-23, 12:22 AM
A list of your available resources is always helpful for these sorts of things.

Secrets of Sarlona has some dream-related feats, and spells for the sor/wiz list or powers for the psion list.

herrhauptmann
2011-02-23, 12:27 AM
A 3rd party 3.0 campaign world called Gothos: The rise of evil should have what you need.
The books that I know of from that world: Pit of Loch-durnan, Witch of Loch-durnan, Nightmares & Dreams, Bone& Blight, and of course the campaign setting.
Published by I think Mystic Eye Games.

Zaq
2011-02-23, 12:55 AM
What do you mean by "based on dreams," specifically? Do you want to actually deal with sleeping people? Do you want something that conjures up fantasies and terrors of the mind? Do you just want something with "dream" in the name?

In any case, I know that Heroes of Horror has at least a little bit of dream-related magic, but I don't remember if it's actually interesting or useful.

Kallisti
2011-02-23, 01:05 AM
Seconding Zaq's question.

I'm sure there's something in the Homebrew forums here if you feel like digging ( (the only thing I can name is The Vorpal Tribble's Somnambul race), but if I were you, I'd go with the stuff from Secrets of Sarlona and the Oneiromancy from Heroes of Horror. Combine that with some good fluff and you should be all right.

Also, if you have access to the 3.0 Manual of the Planes--not the same thing as the 3.5 Planar Manual--then you should look up the Realm of Dreams there. It has rules for the Plane of Dreams, plus the Lucid Dreaming skill.

herrhauptmann
2011-02-23, 01:45 AM
Also, Earth Dreamer from Races of Stone.

Daftendirekt
2011-02-23, 01:46 AM
Nightmare Spinner, from Complete Mage 74.

You didn't say GOOD dreams. :smallbiggrin:

Veliane
2011-02-23, 04:51 AM
wow, excelennt suggestions, and the nightmare spinner looks like a great antagonist :D All I have in mind for the moment is a mage that deals in dream magic / spells rather freeform after that

The White Knight
2011-02-23, 08:44 AM
I can't think of any classes or PrCs, although I am certain I saw a Sorc/Wiz spell once upon a time that allows you to enter the dreams of someone sleeping nearby. The closest I can find at the moment is Dream Casting from the Spell Compendium (pg 73), which allows you to alter someone's dreams to hit them with one of a choice of day-per-level duration effects. There's nothing particularly useful there, but if you are the DM (and this is for an antagonist) you could always play out the modified dreams as fun and twisted one-shot adventures.

EDIT: A dip into Mindbender might be thematically appropriate. I'm sure talking directly into somebody's mind while they're asleep could have fun consequences on their dreamscape.

Yuki Akuma
2011-02-23, 09:04 AM
Dreams tend to be more of a psionic thing, really...

Daftendirekt
2011-02-23, 09:07 AM
There is, quite plainly, a spell called "Nightmare" in the PHB. Page 257. Bard 5, Sorc/Wiz 5. Dunno if this is useful to your purposes.

Veliane
2011-02-23, 12:14 PM
I was told there was a class in 2ed that extracted vials of dream dust.. sort of like sandman.. and was hoping for something liek that where they use dreams of others to fuel their magic but all the advice you guys have given has been great usable stuff

Geiger Counter
2011-02-23, 12:22 PM
quori nightmare races of eberron

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-02-23, 03:13 PM
Psionics could cover a bunch of the fluff you're after, as it is the inner mind that matters here. Nightmare Spinner (Complete Mage) and Dread Witch (Heroes of Horror) do well with nightmares.

Heroes of Horror also has the Archivist, an intelligence based divine caster, which could be fluffed as a mad man drawing power from his own perverted psyche. On top of that, HoH also has a couple of feats dealing with dreamscape, but they're largely DM-dependent.

Daftendirekt
2011-02-23, 03:15 PM
I forget the name for it, but there's a spell that forcibly extracts a memory from someone's mind (making them forget it) and turns it into a crystal. Anybody who so chooses can utilize the crystal (one use thing like breaking it or sticking it in their forehead, I forget) and gain that memory. Could be neat, if you're going for the whole "messing with their head" thing.

Scorpions__
2011-02-23, 03:34 PM
In Heroes of Horror for 3.5 there are a few dream-related options such as the Dreamtelling feat, Oneiromancy, and Improved Oneiromancy, something like that.

The Oneiromancy feats give you access to an interesting line of dream-related spells if you're a caster. These would be useful in a dream-centric campaign.

The Phantasmal Slayer monster is at the end of the same book, CR 15, and quite nasty.

There's also a chart of messed up things that can randomly happed to spells that are cast in a dreamscape and some other similar musings.

That'd be a good go-to place to start.

DM[F]R