PDA

View Full Version : dread necromancer spell list update.

kiryoku
2011-02-23, 01:52 AM
is there a updated spell list for the dread necromancer.

Thurbane
2011-02-23, 02:15 AM
Nothing official, other than the suggestions in the Spell Compendium for adding spells to existing classes (pages 3 & 4).

The most similar to DN mentioned is Warmage, which reads as follows:

Warmage (Miniatures Handbook): Expanding the warmage spell list isn’t recommended. The warmage has a limited list of spells to balance its power and adding spells might tip that balance. If you’d like to add to the list anyway, try replacing access to spells rather than simply giving the warmage a wider range of spells to choose from. Of course, when a warmage gains the advanced learning class feature, the evocation spells in this book offer many options.

kiryoku
2011-02-23, 02:32 AM
ahhhhh i see so i cant without breaking it that sucks

Coidzor
2011-02-23, 04:31 AM
Well, using your own judgment about what effect having free access rather than having to add it as one of the extra spells from the class feature.

That, and what level the games you are in generally play at.

JaronK
2011-02-23, 07:01 AM
Well, you already have Advanced Learning to work with. If you really want more spells, get Animate Dread Warrior, find the corpse of a humanoid Cleric or Sorcerer or something, and Animate it. Now have your pet cast whatever you wanted.

Remember, if you become undead (Necropolitan?) you can always spell stitch yourself with Animate Dread Warrior, Awaken Undead, and a host of other handy spells (including lots of nice Conjurations). Go nuts with that.

Meanwhile, the DN's a great class but it does have bugs, including the same spell on two levels (3 and 4) and an indeterminate duration on Fear Aura. Nothing was every errataed.

JaronK

Maho-Tsukai
2011-02-23, 11:25 AM
Frankly I never thought the Dread Necro spell list needed to be expanded. It DOSE however, need some seirous fixing and has some glaring issues.(the same spell at two levels, for one, and planar binding spells without magic circle is another painfully obvious one.) Not to make a shameless plug but I have a simple and effective fix for the DN spell list which cam be found at the following link...

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162358

It's simple and gets the job done. It fixes the main issues (double death ward and planar binding without magic circle.) and also fixes some less glaring but still big issues(Like the lack of Desecrate and the fact the original DN STILL gets Animate Dead after a cleric.). Feel free to use my fix if you like, it works wonders in my games.

As for expanding the DN spell list, why do you feel it's necessary? Key spells that they don't normally obtain like, say Animate Dread Warrior and Awaken Undead can all be obtained via Advance Learning and most necromancy spells not on their list are just another way of doing things they already can do with their own spells.(Though I admit missing out on stuff like slow consumption and shivering touch(as well as it's lesser cousin) is sad at times.)

kiryoku
2011-02-23, 02:45 PM
i found spells that go with the flavor of the dread necromancer but were not on the list but your fix is good ill try it out thanks

Edit: i take it back your fix is awesome!!!

JaronK
2011-02-25, 07:06 AM
(the same spell at two levels, for one, and planar binding spells without magic circle is another painfully obvious one.)

I actually think that latter one is both intended and good. It means DNs can summon outsiders into traps (often laid with Ghoul Glyphs or similar) and kill them, getting a corpse to raise as a skeleton or zombie or something... but doesn't get endless wishes or other broken stuff that the full version of Planar Binding usually gives.

JaronK