PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Statting Razia, Boros Archangel

Dralnu
2011-02-23, 02:09 AM
I want to plug in Razia as a BBEG for my evil campaign. The party consists of a warblade, scout, assassin, and favored soul. They should be around level 10-12 when they confront her.

The bringer of fiery justice looks like this:
http://www.teamwingman.net/uploads/bu/razia_boros_archangel.jpg

So, what's an appropriate way to stat her up?

Sith_Happens
2011-02-23, 02:23 AM
Well, you might want to explain what her card abilities are so people know what they're going for.

There are plenty of maneuvers, especially from Setting Sun, that redirect attacks made against you and could be used to emulate her tap ability. In fact, having a bunch of Setting Sun and Desert Wind maneuvers somehow seems like it would be a good fit.

I have no idea what the Haste and Vigilance abilities in Magic would equate to in D&D. Haste might just be a really high initiative check.

Obviously use some kind of good outsider as a base. I'll leave the rest to the experts.

Dralnu
2011-02-23, 02:36 AM
Well, although it would be nice to reflect some of her card abilities, that's not my intended goal. I'm looking more for just what you'd build her as after you saw that picture.

Elric VIII
2011-02-23, 02:46 AM
Favored Soul 20. You get wings and bonuses with your diety's weapon.

Perhaps CG Warlock with levels in Enlightened Spirit.

Land Outcast
2011-02-23, 03:38 AM
Well, I made this for an Angel of Hope who ended up caring more for the safety of the souls of the people he protected than their bodies... lets see if you can get anything from it:

True Strength (Su)
The Angel of Hope can weaken its attackers, once every two rounds she can, as an immediate action, force a creature who is attacking her to make a Fortitude save DC (10+1/2HD+Cha) or take 2 points of Strength damage.

Angelis Sword of Ardent Conviction (Su)
At will, as a swift action the Angel of Hope may summon a longsword made of pure fire. She wields this bladelike beam as if it were a bastard sword. Attacks with the weapon are melee touch attacks. The blade deals 1d10+HD points of damage. Half the damage is fire damage, but the other half results directly from divine power and is therefore not subject to being reduced by resistance to fire-based attacks.
Since the blade is immaterial, her Strength modifier does not apply to the damage, but insted her Charisma modifier does apply (though it is nor multiplied if the weapon is wielded with both hands).
Once per day as a full-round action, while wielding the angelis sword of ardent conviction, the Angel of Hope may make herself the center of a 30 ft. fire blast (4d8, Ref (10+1/2HD+Cha)), all metal objects in the area are also affected as per Heat Metal (Will 12+Cha).
{table=head]Round|Temperature|Damage
1 |Warm |None
2 |Hot |1d4 points
3-5|Searing|2d4 points
6 |Hot |1d4 points
7 |Warm |None[/table]

Also had this... but I guess it won't interest you.

Angelis Shield: The wielder of this +2 Heavy Mithril Shield can, once per day, as a full-round action, make himself the center of a 30 ft. shockwave: make a bull rush attempt (using a single roll) against every creature in the area (including flying creatures), they must oppose your check with a Str check or be moved away from you (one feet for every point of difference in the opposed check) and fall prone.

JaronK
2011-02-23, 03:38 AM
I'd go with some sort of angel Crusader/Swordsage thingy. Lots of desert wind and devoted spirit maneuvers in general would make sense. Perhaps she could wear a Ring of Vengeance and a Retributive Amulet, along with a Valorous Flaming Burst Holy Keen Enfeebling Jovar?

Consider the following (Asuras are chaotic fiery celestials of vengence from BoED)

Razia (Asura Crusader 4/Unarmed Swordsage 6)
Feats: Improved Critical (Claw), Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Shock Trooper, Diving Charge, Adaptive Style, Extra Granted Maneuver, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Jovar)
Maneuvers: Crusader: White Raven Tactics, Battle Leader's Charge, Divine Surge, Entangling Blade, Revitalizing Strike, Martial Spirit, Thicket of Blades
Swordsage: Burning Blade, Counter Charge, Searing Blade, Leaping Flame, Flashing Sun, Fire Riposte, Desert Tempest, Burning Brand, Moment of Perfect Mind, Mind Over Body, Holocaust Cloak, ...some other stuff.

Basically, she flies around burning the hell out of the party and if she gets a charge off she kills people. Plus, when you hit her you get damaged back. She should be accompanied by a personal guard that isn't too worried about fire. She's something of a glass cannon but does a lot of damage and is very mobile. Pair her up with guards that heal her (more Crusaders perhaps? Clerics dropping Vigorous Circle?). It's a tough fight but being immune to fire would really help.

JaronK

Amiria
2011-02-23, 03:46 AM
Nice build, JaronK. But I wouldn't give her so much Desert Wind maneuvers just because she wields a flaming sword.

Setting Sun has some great maneuvers that won't become utterly useless just because someone casts Mass Resist Energy: Fire.

JaronK
2011-02-23, 03:50 AM
Nice build, JaronK. But I wouldn't give her so much Desert Wind maneuvers just because she wields a flaming sword.

Setting Sun has some great maneuvers that won't become utterly useless just because someone casts Mass Resist Energy: Fire.

A) She's a red creature. I want some fire!
B) She's a tough encounter, and the PCs ought to get a bonus if they prepare appropriately. I've got her set up as a level 16 character, which with some minions to help should be a pretty tough challenge. Let's face it, even now if she charges someone's gonna die (she can sack her 16 BAB for +96 damage alone via Shock Trooper, along with Diving Charge and a Valorous Weapon... that's before fire even comes into play). And her Devoted Spirit moves work quite well against anyone.

Beating her would require getting her to hold still long enough to take her down, and whoever does that needs to be immune to fire or they'll be cut to pieces. If she gets a chance, she'll just charge kill anyone. This is made harder by the fact that she can teleport and debuff enemies, plus she's got some potent immunities of her own and can even self heal a bit. Also, anyone hitting her gets hit back (though that will be a very nice magic item for whoever takes her down), and if you take her down while grouped up the resulting explosion could result in a TPK. It's a tough encounter, to say the least. Might not be appropriate for some parties. Remember her Diamond Mind counters mean she can shrug off a few save requiring spells... getting her fatigued if possible would be REALLY helpful. She's a glass cannon, but with a few nice ablative defenses (shrug off one charge, make one of each of the important saves, teleport once) that you have to get through to take her down... and if she escapes she can heal up quick and be right back in the fight.

JaronK

Runestar
2011-02-23, 06:22 AM
BOED might be a good place to start. I am tempted to use a sword archon as a base (refluffing the armblades), maybe filling in the slack with additional outsider HD and/or class lvs. Though that's already cr11, so it doesn't really leave a lot of room for customization.

Fishy
2011-02-23, 11:22 AM
Razia and Boros are all about healing some people while setting others on fire. The boring way to do that is as a cleric with the Fire and Healing domains, the fun way to do that is with Desert Wind and Devoted Spirit maneuvers.

Honestly, if she's an NPC? Cheat. Make her a Crusader, with access to Desert Wind, Devoted Spirit and White Raven, that uses the Warblade recovery mechanic and maneuver progression.

Antagonists need to have style. They need to make an impact in their signature way in the first round of combat, and the 'grant random maneuvers' mechanic isn't good at that. Antagonists also need to survive the first round of combat, and nobody survives like a Crusader. While you're at it, give her the [Outsider], [Good] and [Fire] types, for interesting mix of weaknesses and strengths. You're the DM, if that's what you want her to be, that's what she is.

As a PC, or if you want to strictly obey the rules, have a look at Jade Phoenix Mage, which grants both Desert Wind and Devoted Spirit maneuvers. Duskblade 5/Warblade 1/JPM is quite nifty, as you can mix and match Arcane Channeling and boosts and strikes. The other option is Master of Nine, which is a gigantic pain to qualify for, but will give you lots of high-level maneuvers from both disciplines.

Race-wise, you want the Half-Celestial template, which is sucky and has a huge LA. Instead, go with a Dragonborn Lesser Assimar, which gets you an [Outsider] with wings for +0 LA. If you feel like it, stack the Celestial template on top of that, for interesting defensive options.

For feats, Flyby Attack is your friend. You can fly in, perform a strike, and fly back to a defensive position- which is great tactically, and also does a passable imitation of Vigilance.