PDA

View Full Version : Horned Helm to Quickstep boots

Taverick
2011-02-23, 03:11 AM
Okay, so I've a character that I need a speed boosting item for. And an item that would work perfectly (save the gore attack) is the Horned helm from the Arms and Equipment Guide; Doubles base speed, and grants a gore attack at +2 to hit and 1d8 points of damage. This item had a market price of 38,000gp and required Haste and Magic Fang for creation. However, it was revised in the Magic Item Compendium. The new version only grants a gore attack that does a 1d8+ 1/2 str bonus in damage, and counted as magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. Market price of 8,000gp and Magic Fang, as well as Haste which no longer makes sense.
Now normally this wouldn't be an issue, as most DM's would say just pay for the more expensive version and suck up the gore attack even though it doesn't fit the character concept. However, my DM requires that we use the most recent version of every rule, item, feat, class feature/ variant, spell or skill and only official printings. I commend him on this, as frustrating as it can be sometimes, but he allows us to make our own magic items if we follow the basic construction rules presented in the DMG. This is where my problem comes in.
I have spent hours trying to pick apart the formula involved in this items creation, both AEG version (which is technically v3.0 I believe) and the MIC version (v3.5). As of yet I have been unable to figure out how they made this item so that it doubled the base speed of the character. I don't care about the gore attack, and would ignore the feature completely even to the point of not having it available as it does not fit the character concept. What I do need for this character though is a magic item that doubles my characters speed without the cap imposed by the Haste spell. Which is why I don't just build a pair of shoes that give a constant haste effect or use the Boots of Speed.
I have already cleared the exchange of a Head slot item into a Foot slot item without an increase in price as movement based items are generally footwear.
I have worked long and hard on this characters build for maximum speed and abilities, I just need to finish this item. So I have come here to ask for help. And by Elan's eternally smooth chin let someone out there be able to help me.

Debihuman
2011-02-23, 08:30 AM
Obviously there was an error made in the MIC when they updated the item, not surprising in a book of that magnitude. I'd just say remove the haste requirement and see if the pricing is better.

However, that totally will ruin it for your purposes.

What I do need for this character though is a magic item that doubles my characters speed without the cap imposed by the Haste spell. Which is why I don't just build a pair of shoes that give a constant haste effect or use the Boots of Speed.

How fast is your character normally (and in normal gear as that can slow you down too)?

Magic Item creation, especially for Wondrous Items, isn't an exact science, it's mostly art, so forget trying to figure out how it's done. It takes the essence of the spell and goes with just part rather than exactly duplicating the spell. [As can be seen in Paizo's superstar contest, an item that is a "spell in a can" is greatly frowned upon for a wondrous item and while the current contest uses Pathfinder rules, previous contests that were strictly 3.5 also adhered to that adage]. What you look for is something comparable.

If all out fails, see if there is something in Dragon Magazine (its material is official according to WotC so your DM should allow it) that fits your needs.

If all else fails, maybe you could post this in the homebrew request thread.

Debby

Land Outcast
2011-02-23, 01:46 PM
I'd be tempted to point out a possible basis for the speed duplication in the 3.0 version of haste, which allowed for an extra partial action. This could have been understood as similar to duplicating movement, thus understood as a haste effect.

Besides:

Magic fang is a spell level 1, at caster level 1 (x1), in a continuous effect (x2000) = 4.000 gp
But it gets there from being a spell normally during 1 minute per level (x2) = 8.000 gp

Haste is/was a spell level 3, at caster level 5 (x5), in a continuous effect (x2000) = 30.000 gp
But it gets there from being a spell normally during 1 round per level (x4) = 120.000 gp
But probably it was understood as having -as a mitigating factor- a far lesser benefit than full haste, given that is no longer allowed for standard actions (x1/4) = 30.000 gp

I belive here is where the item pricing came from, 8k and 30k were simply added together as "spell effects".

Taverick
2011-02-23, 10:05 PM
How fast is your character normally (and in normal gear as that can slow you down too)?

If all else fails, maybe you could post this in the homebrew request thread.

Debby

Considering he's a small monk, his base speed depends on his lvl. Using a couple character traits (Quick- +10 base speed with the price of -1 hp per lvl) I had gotten him up to 40 at lvl 1, 70 at lvl 6, and 90 at lvl 12.

I'll post it there and see if I get any help.

Thanks Land Outcast, that helps a lot.