PDA

View Full Version : 5-20ft reach?

yugi24862
2011-02-23, 04:30 AM
Just looking at the reach rules, it says a large reach weapon has 15-20ft reach but can't threaten 5-10ft. Monkey grip would let me use it two-handed(at -2). But in drow of the underdark there is a Prc called cavestalker which at level 4 allows you to 'treat a spiked chain as a one-handed weapon' So could I then use a medium spiked chain in one hand and a large one in the other, giving 5-20ft of theat?

Curmudgeon
2011-02-23, 05:16 AM
No. Reach in 3.5 is a function of your natural reach, and not dependent on weapon size. Using a bigger weapon will give you a penalty for inappropriate size and also make it require two hands where the properly sized weapon would only need one ─ but no increase in reach.

Coidzor
2011-02-23, 05:29 AM
Additionally, if you are a large sized creature, wielding a medium creature's weapon won't give you the benefits of reach with that weapon.

Gnaeus
2011-02-23, 08:10 AM
Just looking at the reach rules, it says a large reach weapon has 15-20ft reach but can't threaten 5-10ft. Monkey grip would let me use it two-handed(at -2). But in drow of the underdark there is a Prc called cavestalker which at level 4 allows you to 'treat a spiked chain as a one-handed weapon' So could I then use a medium spiked chain in one hand and a large one in the other, giving 5-20ft of theat?

Using a spiked chain, however, lets you threaten both adjacent and reach squares. In other words, a large creature w/ a spiked chain can threaten 5-20 anyway.

Against all logic, the amount of reach you get is based on your size + the binary of "is it a reach weapon". A medium creature w/ monkey grip is still a medium creature, so even with a large reach weapon he never gets 15-20 foot reach.

Person_Man
2011-02-23, 08:26 AM
What Curmudgeon said.

If you want a one handed reach weapon, your options are:

Lance while mounted. PHB.
Kusari-Gama. DMG.
Spinning Sword. Secrets of Sarlona.
Any normal one handed weapon with some method of improving your natural reach/size (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7081777).

Daftendirekt
2011-02-23, 08:29 AM
Conversely, a small-sized reach weapon gives you the exact same (10 foot) reach that a medium sized reach weapon gives you. But it weighs half as much and does less damage.

Go figure.

AtomicKitKat
2011-02-23, 09:45 AM
Conversely, a small-sized reach weapon gives you the exact same (10 foot) reach that a medium sized reach weapon gives you. But it weighs half as much and does less damage.

Go figure.

But only if you're a Small creature. Overall silly, but that's what happens when they don't want to penalise Small characters even more.

Keld Denar
2011-02-23, 09:52 AM
Yea, a medium creature that uses a small spiked chain only has 5' reach. If your reach weapon isn't appropriately sized, you lose the benefits. Its hinted at in the PHB, but clarified further in the RC.