PDA

View Full Version : I am a Crazy Ninja Robot! [3.5 PRC]

TheGeckoKing
2011-02-23, 02:34 PM
Go Go Go, the King just won't stop! Inspired by the picture, I present;

The Iron Shade

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu89/Gecko-King/CrazyNinjaRobot.png

The most ruthless assassins, it is said, are the ones with hearts of iron. Thus, who would make the best assassins but Warforged, who have literal hearts of iron? And so with alchemical tricks to make their iconic plating of shadows, and the finest training from grandmasters, a Warforged can be made into something that is more than just a machine of death - They can become an Iron Shade.

Becoming an Iron Shade

One cannot train in the ways of the Iron Shade unless they can upgrade their plating into the Shadesteel Plating, which requires a strong foundation of Mithral to create, and good skills in the art of the ninja to earn. Only then can they can they learn the art that allow them to disappear into the night and become true Crazy Ninja Robots.

Requirements
Skills: Hide 10 Ranks.
Maneuvers: Must be able to initiate 5th level maneuvers of the Shadow Hand discipline.
Feats: Mithral Plate.
Special: The prospective Iron Shade must have killed at least 5 people without being revealed as the killer of said people.

Hit Dice: d8

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st| +0 | +0 | +2 | +2 | Shadesteel Plating |

2nd| +1 | +0 | +3 | +3 | Mental Scarring |

3rd| +2 | +1 | +3 | +3 | Death Attack |

4th| +3 | +1 | +4 | +4 | Billowing Smog of Shades |

5th| +3 | +1 | +4 | +4 | Iron Shackles of Shades |[/table]

Class Skills
The Iron Shade's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).
Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

Maneuvers
{table=head]Level|Known|Readied|Stances

1st|
1|
1|

2nd|
1|
0|

3rd|
0|
1|

4th|
1|
0|

5th|
1|
1|
0[/table]

Maneuvers: At every level, except 3rd, the Iron Soul gains a new maneuver from the Shadow Hand, Setting Sun, Tiger Claw, or Diamond Mind disciplines, and one other discipline of the Iron Soul's choice, chosen at 1st level. They must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. They add their full Iron Soul levels to your initiator level to determine their total initiator level and their highest-level maneuvers known.
At 1st, 3rd, and 5th levels, the Iron Soul gains additional maneuvers readied (and granted, if applicable) per day.

Stances Known: At 3rd level, the Iron Soul learns a new martial stance from the Shadow Hand, Setting Sun, Tiger Claw, or Diamond Mind disciplines, and the same discipline chosen for maneuvers known. They must meet the stances prerequisites to learn it.

Shadesteel Plating: At 1st level, the Iron Shade gains the plating that proves they are an Iron Shade. It is made of tempered shadows woven into a mithral base, bound together by alchemical wonders, and has small ports dotted around that can pump out billowing smoke to obscure it's attacks.
The Iron Shade loses all penalties it might have to certain skills (Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Sleight of Hand, Swim, and Tumble) because of it's Mithral Plating, and if the Iron Shade has the Mithral Fluidity feat(s), they may immediately swap them out for different feats they qualify for.
Also, the Iron Shade feeds off the Blade Magic it uses for it's fighting, to obscure it's form. Whenever an Iron Shade initiates a Shadow Hand maneuver, for a number of rounds equal to their Wis modifier they gain a miss chance equal to the Maneuver's level times 5. If another maneuver would be initiated before the miss chance's duration is up, the miss chances stack, but cannot go any higher than the Iron Shade's Initiator Level times 5 (Max 100%). The miss chance is considered a (Su) effect.

Mental Scarring(Su): At 2nd level, the Iron Shade can burn it's grim visage into the memories of it's targets. When the Iron Shade would successfully damage a sentient (3+ Int) creature, the Iron Shade may opt to mentally scar the poor being with pre-programmed taunts and vicious remarks. The next time the target goes to sleep, they must make a Will Save (DC equal to the Iron Shade's HD/2 + Wis Mod) or suffer the effects of a Nightmare (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Nightmare_(Spell)). This ability cannot (for clear reasons) affect beings that do not sleep.

Death Attack(Ex): At 3rd level, the Iron Shade can use it's mechanical mind to precisely kill it's targets with ease. If an Iron Shade studies his victim for 3 rounds and then makes an attack while in a Shadow Hand stance, and successfully deals damage, the attack can kill the target on the spot. While studying the victim, the Iron Shade can undertake other actions so long as his attention stays focused on the target and the target does not detect the Iron Shade or recognize the Iron Shade as an enemy. If the victim of such an attack fails a Fortitude save (DC = Iron Shade's HD/2 + Wis Mod) against the kill effect, they die. If they succeed on the Fortitude save, they take 2 points of Con damage instead. Once the Iron Shade has completed the 3 rounds of study, they must make the death attack within the next 3 rounds or be forced to restudy for 3 rounds.

Billowing Smog of Shades: At 4th level, the Iron Shade can pump out a ghastly amount of acrid smoke to disorientate it's foes. As a swift action The Iron Shade may lose all the benefits of their current stance to gain the benefits of this stance. While in this stance, the Iron Shade is surrounded by a smog of smoke as per an Incendiary Cloud (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/incendiaryCloud.htm) (Caster Level equal to Initiator Level) centered on the Iron Shade, with a few minor changes. The Iron Shade is immune to all damage from the cloud and the damage is acid damage instead, from the acrid poisons pumped out with the smog.

This is treated as a (Su) effect.

Iron Shackles of Shades: At 5th level, the Iron Shade learns a vital trick - It's normally better to take your target out of the fight instead of killing them outright, in case you want them alive. Want them dead? Kill them while their down, of course.
This is treated just as a normal martial maneuver: The Iron Shade must ready it and expend it normally. It is an 7th level strike, and does not belong to any discipline. As a standard action, the Iron Shade make an attack roll against an opponent with a +2 bonus to this attack, if the strike hits the opponent takes 10d6 points of damage and must make a Reflex save (DC = Iron Shade's HD/2 + Wis Mod ) or instantly be knocked prone and helpless for 3 rounds, as the poor victim is assailed with animated shadows and horrid wisps.

This is treated as a (Su) effect.

---

Note: This is the first homebrew I've done that involves ToB. Brace for awfulness, folks.

TheGeckoKing
2011-02-23, 06:50 PM
Come on! Anything? I really wanted at least one comment :smallfrown:

Dreadn4ught
2011-02-23, 06:55 PM
AWESOME!

This is a really good PrC! I'm going to play one of the these next campaign!

Just one question: Is the Hit Dice d8 or d6? It says both. It should be d8 I think.

LOTRfan
2011-02-23, 06:56 PM
I can't really help balance (as I do not understand ToB and have no intention of learning).

That being said, its a pretty cool class. Assassin gets death attack two levels earlier, but seeing as this has the stances, that might make it more balanced. I like the shadesteel plating. That's pretty much all I can PEACH, though, because of my lack of knowledge of ToB.

Not a really productive response, sorry. :smallfrown:

dsmiles
2011-02-23, 07:00 PM
I like it, but I have one comment and one question:

Comment: Check you Death Attack description, it still says 'assassin' in several places.

Question: Wouldn't progressing whatever initiator class allows access to the Shadow Hand maneuvers be better than giving him/her/it 4 maneuvers and 1 stance? It kind of seems like it'd be more...um...(great, I lost my train of thought). Sorry 'bout that, but you can see what I'm getting at, right?

TheGeckoKing
2011-02-23, 07:00 PM
AWESOME!

This is a really good PrC! I'm going to play one of the these next campaign!

Just one question: Is the Hit Dice d8 or d6? It says both. It should be d8 I think.

Awesome! Tell me how it works out! And it's d8, but copy pasta will do that.

I can't really help balance (as I do not understand ToB and have no intention of learning).

That being said, its a pretty cool class. Assassin gets death attack two levels earlier, but seeing as this has the stances, that might make it more balanced. I like the shadesteel plating. That's pretty much all I can PEACH, though, because of my lack of knowledge of ToB.

Not a really productive response, sorry. :smallfrown:

No problem. I didn't really get ToB much until about a week ago :smalltongue:

I like it, but I have one comment and one question:

Comment: Check you Death Attack description, it still says 'assassin' in several places.

Question: Wouldn't progressing whatever initiator class allows access to the Shadow Hand maneuvers be better than giving him/her/it 4 maneuvers and 1 stance? It kind of seems like it'd be more...um...(great, I lost my train of thought). Sorry 'bout that, but you can see what I'm getting at, right?

Well, I guess so. Makes things simpler, too. Will do.

EDITS: The Iron Shade now just progresses maneuvers as normal, and the typos have been fixed.

unosarta
2011-02-23, 07:29 PM
Last sentence of Mental Scarring. It is "Affect" not "Effect". Effect as a verb means to bring about something (E.G. being "Effect"ive). Affect means to change or impact something.

The more you know.

Also; none of the other ToB PrCs progress maneuvers and stances as the original class, they do it the way you had done before. That is honestly a much better way to handle it, giving you much more control over his maneuvers and stances, and not being too complicated. Simply progressing it or not becomes ham fisted considering that the amount of control that you have of the Maneuvers Known drops suddenly since you can only remove one level of progression. Also, it gets into the Arcane Caster Level syndrome, where if you lose three levels of caster level (more like 7 levels, although I don't think you actually give Initiator level progression, I guess I could be wrong) your character concept becomes pretty much screwed.

TheGeckoKing
2011-02-23, 07:36 PM
Meh. You can tell i'm new to this. I'll put it back to it's old "setting".
EDIT: There. Back to more specific maneuver choices.

unosarta
2011-02-23, 07:45 PM
Meh. You can tell i'm new to this. I'll put it back to it's old "setting".

Oh, no problem! The rest of the class is absolutely wonderful.

I would argue against the Death Attack, if only because there is very little actual power in the ability. You could probably make the ability deal a bit of bonus damage if the target makes their save, in order to make the ability more useful. Considering how long you have to study, it probably is going to have to be quite a bit of bonus damage.

TheGeckoKing
2011-02-23, 07:49 PM
Sure thing. I always liked Death Attacks, in practice at least, and always wanted to make them useful. That and I've always wanted to make a certain epic destiny. Maybe another day........

Eurus
2011-02-23, 08:57 PM
The 10 + initiator level DCs are interesting. Any particular reason for that? The standard is either 10 + maneuver level or 10 + half of your hit dice, then adding in one ability modifier.

TheGeckoKing
2011-02-24, 12:43 PM
It's because I honestly, honestly don't know what i'm doing. :smallsigh:
Will rectify.