PDA

View Full Version : Did my players level up?

Dr.Epic
2011-02-23, 03:27 PM
So last session my players each earned 3,000 xp. They were level 2 at the start of the campaign. Exactly level 2, like the bare minimum to be level 2. This was the first meeting, so would 3,000 more xp be enough to reach level 3?

Havelock
2011-02-23, 03:30 PM
Yes.

At LvL2, they'd have 1000XP
At 3000XP they'd go up to LvL3

Tyndmyr
2011-02-23, 03:33 PM
In D&D, yes. In Castles and Crusades, no. They have an unaccountable love of x,001 xp in that game.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-23, 03:34 PM
Cool. Thanks. I'll tell my PCs.

The Rabbler
2011-02-23, 03:37 PM
The XP required to level up at each level is given in the first few pages of chapter 3 in the Player's Handbook.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-23, 03:39 PM
The XP required to level up at each level is given in the first few pages of chapter 3 in the Player's Handbook.

I thought it was in the DMG.

Tavar
2011-02-23, 03:47 PM
I believe it's in both books.

Kerghan
2011-02-23, 03:50 PM
You could also google it. Laurence Fishburne says so.

Ungvar
2011-02-23, 03:51 PM
So last session my players each earned 3,000 xp. They were level 2 at the start of the campaign. Exactly level 2, like the bare minimum to be level 2. This was the first meeting, so would 3,000 more xp be enough to reach level 3?

3000 XP apiece in one session?! What'd they do to earn all that?

Callista
2011-02-23, 05:19 PM
Most likely completed a quest or earned a lot of RP XP.

It's not uncommon in the games I've played in. We'd do something the DM wasn't expecting, turn the world upside-down, somehow come out alive, and he'd just throw up his hands and go, "Okay, you all leveled."

I've been on the DM end of that equation, too. Oddly enough, it's not nearly as frustrating as you'd think. I would much rather have players that know they can have their PCs do anything their personalities dictate and their imaginations can dream up, than have players who think they are on invisible rails, playing a video game where there are knee-high fences stopping them from exploring beyond the allowed area. Yes, you have to think on your feet to keep up with them, but it is SO worth it.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-23, 06:16 PM
3000 XP apiece in one session?! What'd they do to earn all that?

They fought a lot of stuff:

-a downgraded troll
-dire wolf
-about 20 goblins
-a CR 4 aberration
-Bone Saw
-a goat that was being worshiped by a cult

Tyger
2011-02-23, 06:38 PM
They fought Bone Saw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=691qO96VRVw&feature=related)??? What was his CR?

:)

We level up pretty fast in the early levels in our games too. More of a "lets get to the sweet spot fast" thing than anything else.

nedz
2011-02-23, 06:47 PM
I believe it's in both books.

Its not in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/faq.htm)though.

Apparently answering the OP's question would break the OGL.:smallsigh:

herrhauptmann
2011-02-23, 06:53 PM
Yes.

At LvL2, they'd have 1000XP
At 3000XP they'd go up to LvL3

Best way to look at it like this,
When your character is exactly a certain level, (1 less XP would mean he didn't level), to reach the next level, he must earn his level * 1000 in XP. So going from barely level 15, to 16, requires 15000 xp. The rest is basic addition.
Or you can log into mythweavers and set up a 3.5 character sheet. Give it a certain amount of XP, and the sheet will tell you how many more points you need to reach the next level.

And yeah, the level up chart, and I think the CR chart are both non OGL. Among other things.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-23, 06:53 PM
They fought Bone Saw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=691qO96VRVw&feature=related)??? What was his CR?

Probably around CR 2 or 3. I gave him 32 HP, an AC of 18, +7 to hit and a club that did 1d6+4.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-23, 06:54 PM
Probably around CR 2 or 3. I gave him 32 HP, an AC of 18, +7 to hit and a club that did 1d6+4.

OH! And I think he's going to get res'd and be a recurring villain who just keeps getting res'd and becomes more powerful.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-02-23, 07:10 PM
Wait. Did they actually earn 3000 exp?

If they were level 2 they've already by default been at 1000 when they began. Which means, if you gained 3000 in that session alone, they should theoretically be at 4000 now. (Though less, since you cap at level gain.)

EDIT: Wait now that I've read this topic I'm not too sure.

dsmiles
2011-02-23, 07:16 PM

GAH! I was so totally pwn'd by a SUPER NINJA!
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080207141926/uncyclopedia/images/f/f1/SuperNinja7.jpg

Iceforge
2011-02-23, 07:46 PM

If they were level 2 they've already by default been at 1000 when they began. Which means, if you gained 3000 in that session alone, they should theoretically be at 4000 now. (Though less, since you cap at level gain.)

Cap at level gain?

I never heard of such a thing, ever.

Sure that isn't just a house-rule someone you played with was using?

I seem to vaguely recall you cannot earn xp enough for the level beyond your first level up in a single session, so say (as we can't use the real numbers, due to it not being SRD) that are level 1, level 2 comes at 2500xp, and level 3 at 5000xp, and you got 0xp.

The max you can earn in a single session would be 4999xp then, 1 xp short of gaining 2 levels.

But I am not even sure that is an official rule or just me misremembering things

balistafreak
2011-02-23, 07:49 PM
They fought a lot of stuff:

*snip*

-a goat that was being worshiped by a cult

Wait, what? Do explain.

Better question is to why it was a "fight". :smallamused:

elonin
2011-02-23, 07:57 PM
The RAW doesn't say anything about a cap at level gain. The cap prevents going up 2 levels in one session, which means 1xp shy of 4th level.

herrhauptmann
2011-02-23, 08:20 PM

They started at 1000 exp. Whether they gained a total of 3000, or just enough to raise them to 3000, it doesn't matter, in 3.0/3.5, they'd be 3rd level.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-23, 10:27 PM
Wait, what? Do explain.

Better question is to why it was a "fight". :smallamused:

Some clerics of Ares told them to kill a goat that was the high priest of Dionysus. My players had to find a way to isolate the goat and kill it without getting flanked by clerics.

Amnestic
2011-02-23, 10:32 PM
Some clerics of Ares told them to kill a goat that was the high priest of Dionysus. My players had to find a way to isolate the goat and kill it without getting flanked by clerics.

You know, when you say it like that it sounds almost silly! :smallwink:

herrhauptmann
2011-02-23, 10:52 PM
Turns out, it wasn't the high priest, but an intended sacrifice. However, it couldn't just die on an altar, it had to die by the hands of nonbelievers, in the middle of a battle.
Now that that's been accomplished, the path has been opened. Dionysus Ares shall walk the lands once again, and he shall depose the false gods, becoming the immortal God-king of the world.
Or something like that.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-23, 11:04 PM
You know, when you say it like that it sounds almost silly! :smallwink:

What? You don't have farm animals in high clergy positions in your campaigns?

Amnestic
2011-02-23, 11:11 PM
Turns out, it wasn't the high priest, but an intended sacrifice. However, it couldn't just die on an altar, it had to die by the hands of nonbelievers, in the middle of a battle.
Now that that's been accomplished, the path has been opened. Dionysus Ares shall walk the lands once again, and he shall depose the false gods, becoming the immortal God-king of the world.
Or something like that.

If I'm recalling my Classics classes correctly, it's more likely he's gonna lie about, drink a lotta booze and then try to 'get jiggy' with some womens. Not that that's a bad thing of course :smallamused:

What? You don't have farm animals in high clergy positions in your campaigns?

Farm animals are old-hat. Wild animals are the way to go!

herrhauptmann
2011-02-23, 11:32 PM
If I'm recalling my Classics classes correctly, it's more likely he's gonna lie about, drink a lotta booze and then try to 'get jiggy' with some womens. Not that that's a bad thing of course :smallamused:

Yeah I misread it at first, and thought it was a goat cleric of ares. Leading Ares to being sacrificed.
The post was just too awesome to delete, so I only changed the name.

Slipperychicken
2011-02-23, 11:35 PM
Cap at level gain?

I seem to vaguely recall you cannot earn xp enough for the level beyond your first level up in a single session, so say (as we can't use the real numbers, due to it not being SRD) that are level 1, level 2 comes at 2500xp, and level 3 at 5000xp, and you got 0xp.

The max you can earn in a single session would be 4999xp then, 1 xp short of gaining 2 levels.

But I am not even sure that is an official rule or just me misremembering things

DMG (or maybe PHB?) says you can't level up twice from a single encounter. RAW does not limit the number of times you can level up in a session because the "session" is not a concept recognized by the rules.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-24, 12:25 AM
Farm animals are old-hat. Wild animals are the way to go!

What? But then you can't use Cow-thulhu.:smallbiggrin:

Amnestic
2011-02-24, 12:28 AM
What? But then you can't use Cow-thulhu.:smallbiggrin:

Is it you who use Cow-thulhu, or Cow-thulhu who uses you? That is a path I dare not tread, for madness would be my only companion.

CockroachTeaParty
2011-02-24, 12:31 AM
I think the question that is on everybody's mind is: was, in fact, Bone Saw ready?

Hecuba
2011-02-24, 12:39 AM
DMG (or maybe PHB?) says you can't level up twice from a single encounter. RAW does not limit the number of times you can level up in a session because the "session" is not a concept recognized by the rules.

Are you sure? I though that the Dungeon Master's Guide had rules for adjudicating XP in lots other than single encounters.

Amnestic
2011-02-24, 12:48 AM
Are you sure? I though that the Dungeon Master's Guide had rules for adjudicating XP in lots other than single encounters.

PHB, pg. 58

A character can advance only one level at a time. If, for some
extraordinary reason, a character’s XP reward from a single
adventure would be enough to advance two or more levels at once,
he or she instead advances one level and gains just enough XP to be
1 XP short of the next level. Any excess experience points are not
retained. For example, if Tordek has 5,000 XP (1,000 points short of
4th level) and gains 6,000 more, he would normally be at 11,000
XP—enough for 5th level. Instead he attains 4th level, and his XP
total stands at 9,999.

So technically it's not encounter *or* session, it's just "whenever the DM gives you exp".

I think that's a pretty silly rule myself though.

Hecuba
2011-02-24, 12:57 AM
PHB, pg. 58

So technically it's not encounter *or* session, it's just "whenever the DM gives you exp".

I think that's a pretty silly rule myself though.

Yeah, I remember that part. But I also seem to recall something that talks about the relative merits of handing out XP on a per encounter basis, a per goal basis, and a per session basis.

I'm gonna hit some books.

Is it a bad thing that I consider my landlord's dead husband's D&D collection a perk of renting here?

Edit: Actually, the Player's Handbook says the dm hands out XP "at the end of each adventure based on what [the characters] have accomplished."

Dr.Epic
2011-02-24, 01:08 AM
I think the question that is on everybody's mind is: was, in fact, Bone Saw ready?

Technically he died, so no.

Amnestic
2011-02-24, 01:10 AM
"End of the adventure" is pretty damn vague. It pretty much rules out encounters, but does it consider the end of a session the end, or the end of that specific dungeon crawl/story arc/whatever?

I think it's a load of old tosh personally. I'm not even sure why they have the rules in there. It almost goes against their own design with things like the Deck of Many Things' Sun Card which instantly grants the drawer 50,000 exp, which is drastically more than you would ever need to level before heading deep into Epic territory. Did they just intend for 30k+ to be wasted needlessly? :smallannoyed:

Hecuba
2011-02-24, 01:14 AM
"End of the adventure" is pretty damn vague. It pretty much rules out encounters, but does it consider the end of a session the end, or the end of that specific dungeon crawl/story arc/whatever?

I think it's a load of old tosh personally. I'm not even sure why they have the rules in there. It almost goes against their own design with things like the Deck of Many Things' Sun Card which instantly grants the drawer 50,000 exp, which is drastically more than you would ever need to level before heading deep into Epic territory. Did they just intend for 30k+ to be wasted needlessly? :smallannoyed:

Ah, found something more definitive. Page 18 of the DMG pegs end of session as the default for awarding XP.

ryzouken
2011-02-24, 01:32 AM
Technically he died, so no.

The Boulder is conflicted...

Lets see if anyone gets THAT reference...
Avatar: the Last Airbender by Nickolodeon

BobVosh
2011-02-24, 02:52 AM
The Boulder is conflicted...

Lets see if anyone gets THAT reference...
Avatar: the Last Airbender by Nickolodeon

Stop Fighting little blind girls. *notices white text* CURSE YOUR EYES!

It is times like now that I'm glad I stopped using exp, and just tell players when to level.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-02-24, 04:09 AM
Cap at level gain?

Beautiful. It seems to be a house rule. Which literally came from me.

I wasn't even questioning that part, is the best part. I was unsure about whether your exp reverts to 0 after each level gain. Like, if I get it, it's 1000 to level 2, and then 2000 more than that for level 3. I sort of assumed the capping thing must be true. Well that's weird.

ryzouken
2011-02-24, 05:43 AM
Stop Fighting little blind girls. *notices white text* CURSE YOUR EYES!

It is times like now that I'm glad I stopped using exp, and just tell players when to level.

Bob has fallen for the Boulder's trap. The Boulder is pleased!

dsmiles
2011-02-24, 05:45 AM
PHB, pg. 58

I think that's a pretty silly rule myself though.Ditto. Which is why I dish out the XP after every encounter, the quest XP at the completion of each quest, and the RP XP at the end of each session. Then the characters can level up on the go.

Coidzor
2011-02-24, 06:55 AM

Was he ready to be the father one of the PCs never had? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCNUkJcoDS4)

Yora
2011-02-24, 08:05 AM
I think it's a load of old tosh personally. I'm not even sure why they have the rules in there. It almost goes against their own design with things like the Deck of Many Things' Sun Card which instantly grants the drawer 50,000 exp, which is drastically more than you would ever need to level before heading deep into Epic territory.
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/915921481_CxKAV-L.jpg