PDA

View Full Version : Gnoll Bait! (5th.lvl) IC

theos911
2011-02-23, 05:28 PM
This is the IC for Gnoll Bait!

Since everything is in place through the OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10428377#post10428377), I'm going to go ahead and start off.

You are in a small outpost near the edge of the swamp, you have been briefed by the officials who left earlier today. They urged you to stay together and be ready for ambushes at any time. They also included to not get caught, as getting caught, means being eaten, you think to yourself "That was not on the recruitment poster"

(All but Sazai are present) You all arrived with the authorities earlier today, with the exception of Laurent who walked/flew/whatever'd in on his own.

**Please get to know each other IC and make some basic plans.*

Details about your surroundings:

The outpost can comfortably hold 4 and rather uncomfortably hold 8.
It looks like this

http://www.ageofempires.co.nz/images/aoe2/buildings/outpost.jpg

Its ladder can be retracted and you can see out toward the swamp through a window that two could be able to shoot from at the same time. Your horses are all tied to the outpost(Those 6 of you that came with the gov. were provided with horses). Under the outpost in a cellar are some basic necessities. These include some flour, sugar, more than enough oats for the horses(or oatmeal if the urge hits you), dried fruits(raisins), smoked fish and beef, and a huge supply of normal arrows and bolts. You have been given access to this store if you must, but it is recommended for emergency use only; the more times you open it, the less concealed it becomes.

The two days journey back to civilization as you know it spawns off to the west behind you. The swamp lies about a mile ahead. Marking the edge of the swamp is a crude fence and gate that no longer functions. Occasionally, when the wind is just right, you can hear the doggish yips of gnolls in the swamp ahead.

vikingofdoom
2011-02-23, 06:10 PM
Armest looks around at his companions, sizing them up for how useful they'd be in a fight. After studying the group in front of him, he grumbles about having to go out into the swamp, then addresses the group. "So, who's ready to get this job over and done with? I for one want to do this as quickly as possible and get back to civilization. He then moves over to the window, keeping an eye out for gnolls.

tiny tim
2011-02-23, 07:01 PM
Seems to me like we should just head out as soon as possible. I'll be keeping watch.

I'll move out and climb onto the roof if it's made of a strong enough material. Otherwise I'll be out on the ladder and climb down it a few feet.

Phobia
2011-02-23, 07:06 PM
Sazai Airdancer

"What's so great about Civilization? I could stay out indefinitely. For one, it's quiet.." She left the other reasons up to her companions imagination. She started to size up the rest of the gang for herself, noticing a large number in this motley bunch. Everyone was willing to get a piece of this cash, even if it meant the wholesale slaughter of a group of creatures. But what did she care? She'd never been a bleeding heart.

theos911
2011-02-23, 07:48 PM
I'll move out and climb onto the roof if it's made of a strong enough material.

The roof creaks and moans as you attempt to climb up onto it against (Climb DC5 No roll needed). You easily make the climb and find the roof to be easy place to hide and snipe. On the roof you find the base of what appears to be either a flag pole or a signal light. Either way, the top is broken and nowhere in sight. On the front edge of the tower you find an unlit and oil-less brazier used to hold burning oil and to light arrows aflame. Sketched into the roof is a crude set of tally marks. It reads 17, presumably dead somethings.

Brazier

http://www.stronghold2.heavengames.com/cpix/brazier.jpg
EDIT-It showed up in the preview, so if you actually care; here (http://stronghold2.heavengames.com/cpix/brazier.jpg)

The brazier is usable to quickly light arrows on fire as a swift action, assuming you add oil.

Croverus
2011-02-23, 08:28 PM
Laurent

The drow dressed in black robes marked with a simple flame design over the heart watched the wild elf climb into the roof, smirking. He stepped outside and with a command his boots glowed briefly and he rose off the ground, Levitating up to the position of the wild elf. The wizard looked about and nodded. "Indeed, a good vantage point. I could lob some decent fireballs from up here. And spot enemies for a decent distance at night. I am Laurent, what is your name hunter?"

Jergmo
2011-02-23, 08:30 PM
Physical description: Dominik is a tall man considering the time period, standing at five feet, nine inches, with a fairly athletic build, brown hair and eyes. He keeps a beard, and it appears he cuts his hair with his dagger. He wears the outfit of a woodsman, with a buckler around his shoulder with a strap that allows him to quickly sling it about in place, his tunic overlayed by a fine chain shirt. His cloak is clasped with an emblem of Hextor, and across his back is a composite bow with a small gem set within the wood which crackles with energy. At his hip is a scabbard accompanied by a sword and there is a sheathe in his boot for a dagger. Being that he is a divine warrior of an Evil deity, he has an unsettling presence, an aura about his person that puts those nearby ill at ease.

As for his current actions, Dominik sits near another of the outpost's windows, looking out towards the swamp. He then looks upward, towards where the elf sits atop the roof. "Agreed. We should move, soon; gnolls are aggressive. This is a servicable defensive position, but we are at a disadvantage sitting still."

Nixed
2011-02-23, 08:54 PM
"Aye, we don't want to get stuck out in that swamp in the dark if we can avoid it. We need to make use of all the light we have." The statement is soft, but there is confidence behind it. The elf is shortish, but fairly well muscled, and if his clothing is any indication, no stranger to spending extended amounts of time outdoors.

theos911
2011-02-23, 09:21 PM
Since I forgot and it actually matters, it is about an hour after sunrise.

tiny tim
2011-02-23, 11:12 PM
Daelren turns to regard the Drow, keeping his senses alert constantly.

I'm daelren, native to these swamps and something of your guide here. Tell me something, though, why do you fight?

Kaww
2011-02-24, 02:35 AM
Mo is as slight as a kobold gets. His scales have a green hue. His clothes are dark gray-green, with many pockets. Around his neck is a necklace with several teeth and it the center of it is a disc with many colors on it. He has a backpack he never takes off, same goes for his goggles.

He speaks with Armest, since he is a reptilian brother and just as Mo he, apparently, wishes to get in, kill the gnolls and get out. I highly approve his plan.

I agree with you, but still I advise caution. Also it may prove prudent to secure this building. If we need somewhere to fall back to, with a few gnolls chasing us, we should know that we are safe here.

I turn around and tell the Air mephling to face the telescope and say: You seem like a competent creature. How about you and I go and scout a bit around the outpost? We will not go further than 300ft. I just want to know, if I'm running, where the quicksand is, where to set up an ambush and where to hide. I don't enjoy the thought of being inside a wooden humanmade building if a gnoll army comes here. If there is someone here that knows how to track you are most welcome to follow.

Look at this dandy telescope here, let's see what can I see through it.

theos911
2011-02-24, 06:34 AM
The outpost itself is not a very defensible building. It appears to be more of a scouting building. The legs could be easily pulled out by someone of a bit higher than average strength. The walls will probably stop arrows, but that is about it. See OOC for repairing the tower.

Moranica
2011-02-24, 07:23 AM
Buzz looks around at his comrades. Being a light skinned air mephling with white hair and blue eyes usually made him stand out in crowds, but not so much with this group.

Quite the merry bunch, where did they find such a wide collection?? Well, I suppose that could mean they are each exceptional in their own right.

"Scouting sounds good, me and Stinky (small air elemental) over here don't like staying inside. It's not exactly a good idea to use my powers of wind and lightning in a confined space. I am a good spotter, if I may say so myself, and used to observing over large distances. I'll be above the roof most of the time. I'll send stinky back to you if we find any gnolls close by."

Buzz and Stinky then fly out of the window, have a good look around and wait for any other scouts.

Just having a good look around.
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Kaww
2011-02-24, 08:03 AM
I have a feeling I'm gonna regret this... Why do you call it Stinky?

Moranica
2011-02-24, 08:12 AM
Fear not! It is only a name to tease him. He wants to become a stinking cloud elemental, but knows no way of becoming one. He heard stories about such an elemental, and how it could win battle with just it's presence.

Basicly, by reminding him about his ambitions he both keeps his focus and remembers that he'll need me to get there.

Kaww
2011-02-24, 08:19 AM
That is a relief. I thought it had something to do with the story of it's origin. Is it intelligent, can it perform tricks? Does it make a good scout and does it understand me?

Moranica
2011-02-24, 08:32 AM
It does know some kind of language, but I don't speak it. I do share an emotional connection to it though.

It's scouting ability isn't that great, as it's not very smart and doesn't care much for detail. Stinky is better suited as a very fast, mind you, not lightning fast, scout. At full speed it can fly u to 45 miles / hour (100 ft fly speed), which is about 10 times faster then I am.

Kaww
2011-02-24, 08:37 AM
Can it speak loudly in it's language? Can it mimic other voices? I apologize for being this inquisitive. It's just that, even tho I have heard the tales of elemental creatures, I haven't seen any except for few water elementals in the swamps. He says this, thinking: "It could cover our tracks and infiltrate enemy camps with ease... I should remember to use this little critter."

Moranica
2011-02-24, 08:52 AM
Well, he sounds like an astmathic patient with lots of hisses and such. I doubt he has the physiology to actually sound normal. It could serve as a distraction, but it's rather frail and I am rather fond of him.

Kaww
2011-02-24, 09:06 AM
Yes, yes, it is only natural for you to worry about your little stinky. He is as valuable to me as any member of a kobold tribe. I shall keep an eye on both of you as if you were of my kind, have no worries. Best of luck with your scouting attempt. I should really look into this here dandy telescope and try to improve it.

Jergmo
2011-02-24, 01:42 PM
"I'm not going to sit here - at the very least, I'm going to do some scouting. I'll alert you all if I see any gnolls. I will not provoke them, yet." With that, Dominik makes his way down the ladder and begins walking towards the swamp to do some scouting, searching for brushwood, food and the like.

[roll0] (Hide)
[roll1] (Move Silently)
[roll2] (Listen)
[roll3] (Spot)
[roll4] (Survival)

Nixed
2011-02-24, 01:47 PM
"I'll join you, if we are to defend this structure it would be wise to know the terrain surrounding it." The elf nods, and follows Dominik to ground level, all to happy to exit the confined space of the watch tower.

Phobia
2011-02-24, 02:22 PM
Sazai Airdancer

The goblin stood near to the edge of the outpost they were in and kept an eagle eye out, wanting to be the first to strike one of the Gnolls in melee.

Spot: [roll0]

theos911
2011-02-24, 06:48 PM
Those of you out on the minitrip:

You leave the gate and after walking for about a half hour come along a path with recent wagon tracks. You also spot a few kobolds with very large finlike tails heading east and further into the swamp.

Kaww
2011-02-24, 07:34 PM
So my dear comrades how do you feel about making this place sturdier? Since the brave warriors are out hunting/gathering, we should make a nice safe outpost here. I look at the shack standing on four wooden pillars and continue: At least the wind will not be able to tear it down once we are done with it, I hope. the last part was muttered.

tiny tim
2011-02-24, 07:47 PM
Daelren calls down from above, I'll let you guys shore up the defences while I stay up here. It would be pretty embarrassing if we were to be attacked by surprise while making our position more defensible.

Croverus
2011-02-25, 12:32 AM
Laurent

The drow stays at roof height, levitating around and examinging the roof of the tower. While he does so he answers Daelren's question. "I wish to increase my arcane power to rival any other practicioner of the school of evocation. I want to find new ways to call energy from nothing to freeze, burn, and electrify. I'll be the best evoker in the world someday, and this seemed like a good chance to prove my powers. For example, as long as I don't use all of my fire spells up I can produce a gout of flame as often as I like. It's not as strong as regular spells but it is good to prevent me from running out of magic in aprlonged battle."

Kaww
2011-02-25, 02:19 AM
Quit your chattering, leave the elf alone, since one of you does need to keep watch the other one should come down and help! I would appreciate the warrior's help.

After I say that I take the jug of sand out of my backpack. I focus a bit and shape it into a hammer and I start hammering. I mutter: Stupid, lazy mammals. You have never worked in a mine as a two year old haven't you. If I only had ten kobolds here...

Croverus
2011-02-25, 02:30 AM
Laurent

Chuckling he descends a bit, smirking as he speaks, These ears aren't just for show. For your information I had plenty of my share in tunnels and frankly find them good for only funneling the enemy into one area to burn them all. If some fellow guards get caught in the blast it is their own fault for getting in the way of my spell. I don't see what I could possibly help you with anyway, I'm likely the least physically capable one here, so unless you have some task I can accomplish I will do as I please."

Kaww
2011-02-25, 03:05 AM
No, you are not. You are just a sissy, lazy mammal. If I were as big as you are I would work even harder. In undercommon: What is one of your kind even doing here? You are in a swamp in a middle of nowhere. Don't you tell me you are here just for the money.

*I hit my finger with my hammer* Damn it!

Croverus
2011-02-25, 03:18 AM
"I will be more than useful when the fighting starts. Just besure you don't get too close to any clusters, I like to target them with my fireballs first." He then replies in undercommon, his tone different than his common speech, "To be honest I am exiled. I not here for the funds from this mission which can help me search for more knowledge to increase my power. And frankly I like to burn things." He only had one 0 level spell readied that would be of any help, so he began to see if there was any damage to the supports or any other part of the outpost that he can fix with it.

Nixed
2011-02-25, 10:33 AM
Staying back out of sight of the kobolds, which are completely different than gnolls, he glances over at Dominik making sure he's seen the enemy as well before determining their options. Looking at the wagon tracks as he does.

Jergmo
2011-02-25, 04:21 PM
Dominik looks towards the elf, frowning. "I've never seen kobolds with tails like that before. We should continue our search for the gnolls, though - I'm not concerned about them when they're not in their tunnels. We can talk to the others about these kobolds later.

Nixed
2011-02-25, 04:24 PM
Nods at that, then starts to follow the wagon tracks then. "This appears to be the obvious way to go then."

Jergmo
2011-02-25, 04:40 PM
"Aye. I wonder, though, what were the damn fools thinking? Several wagons had to have been sent to make these tracks. What purpose was there?

Nixed
2011-02-25, 04:45 PM
"Supply shipment intercepted perhaps." Inspecting the area for any other clues to the question.

Search/spot checks that I would roll if I could get to myth-weavers to see the sheet.

Jergmo
2011-02-25, 05:49 PM
"But to where? Unless they attempted to construct another outpost further into the swamp..."

Nixed
2011-02-25, 06:06 PM
"These seem rather fresh, I think if something that current had happened they would have mentioned it. No I assume they were hijacked and driven in, perhaps by our gnolls."

Mythweavers is back up.
Search: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

theos911
2011-02-25, 06:23 PM
Jergmo and Nixed:

Please do not take the tracks until you meet with the group. /thought I mentioned this earlier, but I guess I didn't

Jergmo
2011-02-25, 06:43 PM
((D'oh.))

"Hmm. Let's head back to the outpost, then, and see about moving out as soon as they're finished. We can take point. We'll have to take into account their abilities and establish a formation. The Drow must be in the center, that much is certain."

tiny tim
2011-02-25, 09:41 PM
I grow restless up here. I believe I shall join our companions in the swamp, to see what aid I may grant them.

Daelren Climbs down the ladder and runs off through the gate to find the others.

Moranica
2011-02-26, 05:03 AM
As Buzz descends he notices Daelren starting to run for the swamp and calls out to him.

"Daelren!! Come back!! The scouting party is on their way back and we should start talking strategy."

Buzz then goes inside and calls for a everyone's attention.

"AHEMM..! Alright, flying up high I've taken a quick look at the surroundings and the scouting party should be back soon with some more detailed information. "

"There is a wagon trail leading into the swamp, but it only goes in about a few miles or so before seemingly blending into the swamp. The trail is a fork from the main road we took to get here. The scouting party must have gotten a good look at it, and perhaps it might be a good site to make our first move into the swamp from."

Kaww
2011-02-26, 12:30 PM
Come down here and help. We can talk and plan while we work. What did you see and how long will it take the others to return? Is there any sign of the enemy?

Nixed
2011-02-28, 04:42 PM
A nod as Dom decides to return for the others. Heading up the trail the way they came, doing his best to move quietly.

Jergmo
2011-02-28, 10:46 PM
((Just waitin' on the announcement of our arrival and the actions of those at the outpost on this news.))

Moranica
2011-03-01, 05:23 AM
"Welcome back, scouties! From up high I noticed a wagon trail going into the swamp. Have you perhaps seen it as well?"

Kaww
2011-03-01, 05:52 AM
You sure did take your time. Did you find anything particularly interesting? Any sign of gnolls?

Nixed
2011-03-01, 02:46 PM
"There are some wagon tracks a ways out. Didn't see any gnolls, few odd looking kobolds skittering away, but otherwise uneventful."

Jergmo
2011-03-01, 03:26 PM
"Yes. Kobolds with fins, strangely enough. We did follow the wagon tracks for a while, though we felt it best to return and gather everyone before we ventured further. The outpost has been reinforced well - what remains to be done here?"

Kaww
2011-03-01, 04:20 PM
Well, we made sure that they will not topple us if we sleep in it. It's a human made hovel on four weak pillars. there isn't much more we could do for it. Koblods with fins you say? That sounds strange, let me think a bit, I'm not sure if I ever heard of any such brethren.

[roll0] I added my factotum level. Today I can't add it to any other Knowledge nature rolls.

tiny tim
2011-03-01, 09:54 PM
OOC: Would I happen to know anythign about these Kobolds, seeing as how I've lived in the swamp my entire life?

Kobolds with fins? How odd... We should probably follow them. All that's left on the shack is to reinforce the walls, but I think that can wait.

Kaww
2011-03-02, 05:57 AM
All that I can say from the info you provided is that they are most likely kobolds native to this swamp. Since you described the fins, they may be more native to the waters of the swamp rather than the land. Still I don't know what they could hope to mine here.

Very strange... My gaze drops to the ground. I'm thinking: "Is there a Dragon near here? I don't remember any lore of such a Dragon. Why didn't they kill the gnolls with which they must have contact? Very strange indeed..."

Moranica
2011-03-03, 10:40 AM
"I noticed from high up that the tracks stop a good way into the swamp. However, it still is our easiest passage deeper into the swamp. Because of it's obviousness we should really be careful of ambushes though. I'm ready to depart, whenever you are."

Kaww
2011-03-03, 12:06 PM
I'm ready. I'm not a very good warrior, but I'm a rather good archer. Somebody with more muscle should take the front, preferably a tracker. We should protect our rear too. Shall we go by foot or shall we ride our horses? I would prefer to be mounted, since then I have a better view. But it comes down to what majority chooses.

tiny tim
2011-03-03, 07:42 PM
The horses will only slow us down deeper into the swamp. I'll scout slightly ahead of the main group and tell you if I see anything. Is everyone ready?

Croverus
2011-03-03, 09:44 PM
"I will stay in the middle of the group. I can levitate as well if need be but until I have a better way to avoid detection I'll stay in the middle of you lot. I do this not to be a coward but because for the power I bring to our group I am the easiest for our opponent to bring down."

Moranica
2011-03-04, 05:43 AM
"I will fly at 30 ft, to protect us from any kind of flying gnolls. ....

I mean, kobolds with fins ?!?! I expect anything really."

vikingofdoom
2011-03-04, 10:40 AM
I'll take point then. I'll be a little hindered by the swamp, but my senses should help us spot any ambushes. I assume that we will be following the wagon tracks after all? After telling everyone he's point, he moves to the entrance to the swamp and waits there, staring into the swamp.

OOC:Spot Check: [roll0]

Nixed
2011-03-04, 10:43 AM
Waits to go back in with the others.

Jergmo
2011-03-04, 06:24 PM
Dominik shakes his head, pointing towards Daelren. "We are both skilled as trackers. We should take point so that we know what lies ahead of us." To the group at large: "We require a formation so as to protect those who are weaker. We need to determine who can protect our flanks and rear."

Kaww
2011-03-05, 02:42 AM
I'm an archer, rather good one at that, but in melee I am weak. That said, if there is nobody more competent, I could do it. Thinks: "Hells, I always have to do everything anyway..."I would rather not part ways with Sigmund, my trusted pony. He can hit our opponents with his hooves. I'm marginally better than him at hitting people with sticks.
Thinks: "I hope stupid humans that hired us haven't given me a mare."

[roll0]
[roll1]
If Armest has senses aura we get +1 to these...

Moranica
2011-03-05, 06:32 AM
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Croverus
2011-03-05, 02:06 PM
Listen: [roll0]

tiny tim
2011-03-05, 06:39 PM
Listen:[roll0]

Spot:[roll1]

Nixed
2011-03-05, 06:50 PM
Listen: [roll0]

Jergmo
2011-03-06, 02:27 AM
[roll0] (Listen)
[roll1] (Spot)

theos911
2011-03-08, 09:31 PM
After a few miles you come across a mule train. This foolhardy expedition has met with disaster. The 8 mules are unladen, bearing little more than saddlebags. The caravan master and his four guards are visibly frightened, leaping in fear at your approach and forming a small knot of swords and shields.

The surrounding terrain clearly shows evidence of recent and heavy gnoll traffic, and the men’s fear is utterly genuine. As you glance in the direction the gnolls obviously took, the caravan master shakes his head in dismay and says, “It’s too late for those poor fellows. The gnolls will eat them by sundown.”

EDIT- ALL CONVERSATIONS AND PASSING OF TIME ARE NOW MARKED IN ROUNDS!

ROUND ONE

Jergmo
2011-03-09, 05:55 PM
Dominik walks about, examining the gnoll tracks to get a rough count of how many sets there are. He glances towards the caravan master, frowns, then towards the way the gnolls went. "Hmmm. If we make good time, we may reach the gnolls before sundown. If not...either way, we will see to it that the lot of them are butchered."

tiny tim
2011-03-09, 06:09 PM
If I move through the tress I should be able to catch to move faster than them. how long ago did they move through here?

theos911
2011-03-09, 06:45 PM
If I move through the trees I should be able to catch to move faster than them. how long ago did they move through here?

'He looks wistfully into the jungle, and shakes his head sadly. "Gnolls travel fast. They’ll be at their camp within the hour. The only mercy here is that gnoll sports are too strong for humans, and the lads won’t suffer long."

"There wert far too many for the likes of us! I doubt you could handle them alone my friend."'

Jergmo
2011-03-09, 08:10 PM
"I have dealt with gnolls before - I, and I trust my companions, are capable of handling themselves. We shall see what challenge they can offer us."

tiny tim
2011-03-09, 09:51 PM
I've been fighting gnolls since before you were born. I know how to deal with them. I can move on ahead of you guys. You guide the rest of the group and I will report back to you when I find the gnolls.

Moranica
2011-03-10, 06:14 AM
"Never seen a gnoll in my life, then again, nothing likes getting struck by lightning. :smallbiggrin:"

"Stinky, fly up high and after them. Stay out of range, but try and find out how far ahead they are."

Jergmo
2011-03-10, 03:26 PM
"Fair enough. You are, admittedly, a more skilled and swift woodsman than I...until next we meet, in battle, then, elf."

tiny tim
2011-03-10, 10:45 PM
With that, I take off into the trees in the direction the Gnolls went.

OOC: Do you need another survival check?

theos911
2011-03-12, 09:25 AM
Each person may speak twice in a round: Say something and reply if a reply is given. I will wait until tonight to continue to give others a chance to speak to the guards. You can split up if you wish, but I recommend against it.

If you are reckoning on catching those beasts I suggest you move fast. The longer you dawdle here, the more ambushes they set up.

I've guarded caravans here for a while, they ain't smart, but they'll take advantage of any time you give 'em. Move quicker than them and you might just catch 'em unprepared for ya.

Nixed
2011-03-12, 11:14 AM
Nods at the man's words. "Now someone's talkin logically. " Gets moving with the others.

Kaww
2011-03-12, 04:48 PM
While inspecting the tracks I say:How many were here? Did they take live prisoners? If so how many?

Croverus
2011-03-12, 06:20 PM
The drow smirks before asking his question, a slight bit of sarcasm on his voice. "How do these beasts react to large quantities of fire? If we can figure out a way to scare them then that will make disrupting any plans they have easier."

theos911
2011-03-14, 07:11 PM
While inspecting the tracks I say:How many were here? Did they take live prisoners? If so how many?

"They took 8 lads... poor boys"

"I imagine they don't like being burned any more so than any other beast does."

ROUND TWO

Kaww
2011-03-15, 11:45 AM
Loading my crossbow I ask, in a calm and friendly, somewhat surprised, voice: How did they manage to take eight and leave five? I expected they took two, maybe three. Did they catch you by ambush, or have they caught both your front and rear scouts?

theos911
2011-03-15, 04:32 PM
Loading my crossbow I ask, in a calm and friendly, somewhat surprised, voice: How did they manage to take eight and leave five? I expected they took two, maybe three. Did they catch you by ambush, or have they caught both your front and rear scouts?

He gapes in incredulity “There wert far too many for the likes of us! Only the points of our swords, and the easy pickings elsewhere, kept them from taking us as well.”

Nixed
2011-03-15, 04:50 PM
"Regardless, they have a head start and we have to catch them. Debating their numbers doesn't help that. We need to go" Moves for the path staying alert.

Listen: [roll1]

Jergmo
2011-03-15, 08:12 PM
"Agreed. They cannot help us, we are wasting time here. Let's move out."

[roll0] (Spot)
[roll1] (Listen)

theos911
2011-03-18, 06:31 PM
Daelren heads off into the trees at a blinding pace. The rest of you head off north into the forest.

As you are almost out of range you hear the caravan master yell after you "Careful of their traps ya hear?... them things are nasty!"

theos911
2011-03-23, 05:08 AM
Daelran comes crashing through the trees back at you, followed by 7-ish gnolls.
ROUND .5

Kaww
2011-03-23, 04:21 PM
Moving his pony away from the gnolls Mo starts casting a spell.

Grease right behind our courageous tracker. DC 17 ref. Ones in the area of grease are denied their dexterity modifier to AC unless they have 5 ranks in balance. More info, if needed, PHB pg 237.

If a ride check is needed to move Sigmund away from the gnolls [roll=ride]1d20+8[/ride]

Kaww
2011-03-23, 04:22 PM
Idiot...
[roll0]

Jergmo
2011-03-23, 06:52 PM
Dominik draws his longbow while backing away from the approaching group of gnolls, ready to nock an arrow and get to firing when it's his turn.

Moranica
2011-03-23, 06:59 PM
Greataxes huh, no ranged weapons?.. the fools. Let's make sure they won't pass that puddle of grease.

Buzz readies a Gust of Wind to cast when the gnolls are on the grease area. (Fort DC 17, on fail they can't move on their turn)

tiny tim
2011-03-23, 09:31 PM
Daelren jumps up into the trees and zips to the side, knocking an arrow and preparing to shoot at the first gnoll to enter the grease trap.

Hide:[roll0]

Attack:
[roll1]

Damage:
[roll2]
[roll3]

Nixed
2011-03-24, 09:42 AM
Readies his chain waiting for an opening.

Croverus
2011-03-24, 10:13 PM
He grins and notices the grease trap placed by the other member party. He readies to burn the gnolls when they enter the trap, preparing to let free a gout fo flames which will light the greas trap once three or more of the gnolls enter the trap.

theos911
2011-04-02, 02:49 PM
Round One!

Nixed
2011-04-04, 10:45 AM
Spinning his chain in his hand he waits for the gnolls to advance.

Delay actions until gnolls approach.

theos911
2011-04-06, 06:12 PM
ROUND ONE SUMMARY

"After Moving his pony away from the gnolls Mo finishes his spell. An area of mud briefly bubbles before taking on a slightly shiny gleam as his spell completes."

"The gnolls (having not seen the spell being cast) run forward through the mud, straight into an extra slippery patch where every one of them comes crashing down in a grubby mess of flailing gnolls and mud."

"Armest moves to the front left of the group and lets out a cone of flame hitting the 4 leftmost gnolls. The closest ones take heavy damage while those further away seems less affected.

"Buzz lets off an arrow at the most burned of the gnolls. The arrow hits its mark true; the gnoll cries out, but does not fall silent"

"Daelran also lets off an arrow, true to its mark, it kills a burning gnoll instantly."

"Dominik moves forward and strikes at the gnoll buzz shot. His strike lands soft, but ends the gnoll nonetheless."

"Aedryll moves slightly forward and lashes out with his chain. It wraps around the gnoll as though it has a life of its own. The spikes cut deep(max damage-NICE) leaving the gnoll inches from death."

"Turning to the last of the flaming gnolls, Laurent lets out 2 rays of writhing flame, one killing the gnoll instantly and the other badly burning another gnoll."

theos911
2011-04-06, 06:17 PM
Round Two!
need a longer post

Kaww
2011-04-07, 01:05 AM
Mo shoots an undamaged gnoll with his xbow.

FR action to load and shoot my xbow.
I spend 1 point to add int to attack (now 11) ,
1 point to add int to dmg (now 1d6+6 crit 19-20/x2),
2 points to add 2d6 sneak attack (made possible by grease);
Points remaining 9 = 14 - 1(spell) - 1(att) - 1(dmg) - 2(sneak).
Now for rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Nixed
2011-04-07, 08:45 AM
Circles the group, swinging his chain at the legs of one of the uninjured gnolls.

Move at least 10: +1 AC
Melee touch attack to trip: [roll0]
Trip attempt: [roll1]

If tripped:
Free attack with Improved Trip: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] skirmish:[roll4]

crit:

Attack: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]

Croverus
2011-04-07, 09:01 AM
Moving closer to not be outdone by a fire breather, the mage raises his hands, uttering words of power. His hands turn to flame and palms of fire issue forth in a cone to scorch several gnolls.

Cast Burning hands, it should hit 3 Gnolls
Reflex needed to take half: 14
Damage: [roll0]

Moranica
2011-04-07, 10:21 AM
Buzz waits until the moment the gnolls seem ready to act to unleash a small bolt of lightning at the nearest still standing gnoll.

Activating ring of mystic lightning. (1 charge for extra 2d6 damage) (swift)
Casting lesser orb of lightning. (standard)
Ranged touch [roll0]
Damage [roll1] + [roll2]

tiny tim
2011-04-13, 05:08 PM
Daelren slides to a stop in the mud and releases two quick shots at an unharmed Gnoll.

Rapid shot:

Attack1-[roll0]
Damage1-[roll1]+[roll2]=24

Attack2-[roll3]
Damage2-[roll4]+[roll5]=24

theos911
2011-04-18, 07:10 PM
ROUND TWO SUMMARY

"Mo tightly focuses himself and lets off a deadly bolt, hitting it straight in the chest, narrowly missing its heart, almost killing it instantly."

"Daelren quickly slides to a stop and lets off two shots. The first joins Mo's bolt in the gnoll's chest, dropping it instantly. The second goes wide, skipping to a stop in a puddle a good way off."

"Aedryll jumps far to the right, his chain finding a new target. It lands true on a gnoll. He gives it a jerk, but the burning gnoll snaps to his senses and avoids falling, while shifting his weight the chain. Aedryll lets out a small yelp and drops his chain to avoid being pulled into the trap himself."
@Aedryll or anyone else who cares to know:
Gnoll beat your eight, and then beat you again when he used his free trip attempt. I figured you'd prefer to let go rather than fall into the trap

"Dominik quickly steps in to assault the standing gnoll, but his hasty strike barely makes its mark, shedding little blood."

"Moving closer to not be outdone by a fire breather, Laurent raises his hands, uttering words of power. His hands turn to flame and palms of fire issue forth in a cone to scorch the remaining two gnolls. The closer of the two(just struck by Dominik and Aedryll) is too busy to react and perishes in the warping heat. The last gnoll barrel roles out of the direct heat, but is burned to death nonetheless."

End of Round Two, Encounter One

theos911
2011-04-18, 07:18 PM
ROUND ONE

As the flaming gnolls and underbrush dwindle, you hear the yelps of more gnolls off in the distance.

Kaww
2011-04-19, 12:46 AM
Mo, whispers:

"This was only a scouting party. Does anyone have an idea on how to approach them? I believe that Daelren and I could easily snipe them from the treetops. Little Stinky could make a distraction by making a noise in the bushes on the opposite side of the camp. Or maybe you could burn down something?" He says looking at Laurent.

He loads his xbow and looks at his comrades waiting to hear their ideas.

Croverus
2011-04-19, 02:29 AM
"I do so enjoy burning things... As it were I could circle around, perhaps use levitation and pull myself from tree to tree to get to one side, then set fire to one side of their camp. Being up in the trees will help conceal me, and then if our ranged fighters snipe from opposite where I set the fires we can get them confused. While they try to rally defenses against the ranged fighters our fire breating friend here can hit them from the side."

Laurent traces his finger in the dirt, making a small layout of what he assumes their camp will be like and showing where he will start the fires on one side while the ranged fighters attack from the other, then marking where the melee fighters will charge into the gnolls.

Moranica
2011-04-19, 02:32 AM
"Oehohhoh, nice! That sounds like a great way to have some fun. I'll help with the devastating rain of arrows. "

tiny tim
2011-04-19, 05:08 PM
I doubt the Gnolls will be that patient. More likely they will charge out at us like that last group did. If one of you makes enough noise they are bound to find us. Let's set our own ambush. We can use the same tactic but set it here instead.

Daelren jumps back up into the trees, but stays with the group for now.

theos911
2011-04-19, 07:55 PM
If you are reckoning on catching those beasts I suggest you move fast. The longer you dawdle here, the more ambushes they set up.

I've guarded caravans here for a while, they ain't smart, but they'll take advantage of any time you give 'em. Move quicker than them and you might just catch 'em unprepared for ya.

Dominik adds, recounting the caravan leader's words:

"I agree with Daelran... as I reckon we are aiming to catch up with these there beasts, Right? Cuz if we are, it seems to me sitting and waiting on them definitely ain't the best idea."
(Dominik has, by executive order, been officially given a country accent:smallcool:)

Kaww
2011-04-20, 01:33 AM
We are following you, o brave leader. Sigmund away!
Mo thinks: So long as there is somebody in front of me to take the punishment I'm happy. I should really check if I'm riding a mere.

Nixed
2011-04-20, 03:38 PM
Recovers his weapon before preparing to move on with the others.

Search: [roll2]
Survival: [roll3]

Moranica
2011-04-21, 05:31 AM
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Search [roll2]
Survival [roll3]

Croverus
2011-04-21, 05:37 AM
Search: [roll2]
Survival: [roll3]

tiny tim
2011-04-21, 06:11 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

theos911
2011-05-16, 06:32 AM
After some time you come forward and about 40 ft in front of you the underbrush lightens considerably. Several of you notice a group of 7 gnolls who at the same time have recognized you. Their axes are drawn and they are ready to charge.

Your move...

Moranica
2011-05-16, 06:44 AM
Buzz moves forward 15 ft and lets out an booming noise which shakes the ground.

30 ft. cone, all those in range, Ref save, DC 17 or fall prone

Kaww
2011-05-16, 06:52 AM
Since they are flat-footed I load my x-bow and shoot the closest one.

+3d6 sneak attack, +6 attack, +6 dmg (5 inspiration points spent)
[roll0] [roll=Dmg]4d6+6[\roll]

Kaww
2011-05-16, 06:54 AM
I made a mistake... :smallsigh:

[roll0] By the way these \ mistakes are becoming embarrassing...

Croverus
2011-05-16, 05:26 PM
Laurent moves so he's 30ft away from one of the gnolls, then pointing a finger at one, words of power spit from his mouth and a beam of searing red energy flies forth.

Casting Scorching Ray
Touch attack to hit 1d20+3 Damage [roll0]

Nixed
2011-05-16, 06:37 PM
Dashes forward, angling himself along side the batch of gnolls, his chain lashing out at the creatures legs as he does.

Move at least 10: +1 AC
Melee touch attack to trip: [roll0]
Trip attempt: [roll1]

If tripped:
Free attack with Improved Trip: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] skirmish:[roll4]

crit

attack: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]

Croverus
2011-05-16, 08:37 PM
Dang, just noticed my attack roll was bad

rolll to hit with ranged touch attack [roll0]

theos911
2011-06-22, 10:54 PM
Round 1

Before the gnolls have a chance to move, Buzz makes his way forward and with a drop of his hand lets out the most unbearably-loud, god-awful sound you could ever imagine. It knocks 5 of the 7 gnolls straight on their backs. The wave continues on through the forest, tearing the leaves from branches and sending birds into the sky by the hundreds. As one gnoll begins to stand, Mo sends an arrow clean through its chest, just missing its heart. It falls back to the ground in a muted thud, its mouth foaming and chest bleeding.(0 hp) As the rest of the world begins to catch up with what just happened, Jergmo sends an arrow through the shoulder of the nearest standing gnoll. It yelps in pain, but does not fall. Aedryll quickly springs to action, running toward a gnoll at a lightning pace and poising to strike. Finally, after a few moments of concentration Laurent shifts his eyes, chooses a target and lets forth a stream of burning fire from his fingertips at one of the downed gnolls. The gnoll is left engulfed in flames, its arm flailing and its pelt incinerating.

The four (living) prone gnolls all stand up and fall back. The two still standing gnolls attempt to keep formation, drawing their bows and falling back.

Round 2
Your move:

Kaww
2011-06-23, 03:54 AM
Mo loads his xbow aims and shoots the gnoll shot by Jergmo.
[roll0][roll1] Spent two more inspiration points, total spent 7?

Mo shouts:Well, thank you for that awful noise! You alerted the whole swamp that we are coming! As if that is not enough we also sent a flare!

Moranica
2011-06-23, 08:29 AM
"I said, down! So STAY DOWN!!"

Buzz doesn't seem to respond to Mo's calls for subtleness, the booming noises must affect his hearing. Buzz moves forward and lets out an booming noise which shakes the ground.

Trying to hit as many as possible with the cone. 30 ft. cone, all those in range, Ref save, DC 17 or fall prone

Croverus
2011-06-23, 09:31 AM
"My spell hardly draws as much attention to us as that noise. I'm a pryomage, we're in a forest. you do the math." He rolls his eyes and moves forward, deciding to save his spells and instead use a little trick he learned. As long as he has them prepared he can use a moderate flame attack as often as he likes, and now was a good time to use it. He doens't have ot move as the fire attack hits from 30ft away and will create a 5ft burst where he targets.

Using my fiery burst feat, the attack will do 2d6 fire dmg in a 5ft burst, hitting the gnoll I hit last round and any others if possible. Reflex save halves. DC of save is 16.
Fire Damage: [roll0]

theos911
2011-07-11, 01:23 PM
Round 2

Responding to the gnoll's retreat, Buzz quickly follows and lets off with another massive sonic boom, knocking the gnolls flat on their backs once again. Mo then sends a bolt clean through the standing gnoll's already damaged shoulder, nearly tearing the gnoll's arm off with it. The bleeding is too much and the gnoll falls to the ground with a thud. With a now clear path, Jergmo quickly makes his way forward in pursuit of the gnolls. Laurent seems still for a second, until all of a sudden a burst of flame materializes about thirty foot off. The burst cremates the already burned gnoll. However, the other gnoll manages to roll behind the tree far enough to sustain only minor injuries.

The disabled gnoll breathes his last and dies. The four fall back further, attempting to get away from Buzz and his debilitating booms, while also trying to find a spot from where to finally return fire.

Round 3
Your move:

Moranica
2011-07-11, 04:11 PM
"Alright, this has been really easy so far. Only their ranged guys are left it appears. Let me fix that."

Buzz casts a windwall, right before the nearest attacker, spanning 40 ft wide and 20 ft high.

Kaww
2011-07-12, 05:26 AM
I should stuff something in my ears next time I see a gnoll. says Mo frowning at Buzz. Leading Sigmund 20ft forward I load my xbow and shoot.

I auto succeed the ride check but for the fun of it [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Croverus
2011-07-13, 01:05 PM
"That'll keep them from shooting us properly, I suggest we end this quickly before they flee and find more of their kin."

Delving into one of his more sadistic spells, he targets one of the Gnolls that have gotten furthest away. His words for the spell sound particularly harsh. The creature will suddnely be wracked with pain as his bood literally boils under his skin.

The target will take [roll0] fire damage. Sicne it lasts only 1 round makign a save won't help. If I was level 4 it would have lasted 2 rounds and it would have had the chance to make a fortitude save to reduce the duration to 1.

theos911
2011-07-18, 05:08 PM
Round 3

As the gnoll's retreat, Mo quickly sends out a bolt after them, hitting one in the leg and narrowly missing buzz's ear. Soon after, Buzz lets off a spell, creating a massive wall-shaped vortex and protecting the group from any arrows the gnolls may hope to get off. As he does so, the disturbance causes two large balls of noxious gas to erupt seemingly from nowhere.** Dominik then follows up with another move to reach the gnolls. Lastly, and again taking the longest to pick a target, Laurent lets out a sinister spell, literally boiling the blood of his unfortunate target.

The closer two gnoll seize their opportunity and lash out at Dominik, but he cleverly avoids their blows. The other two keep moving while also drawing their bows.

**Cough**Cough*trap**cough

Round 4
Your move:

Kaww
2011-07-19, 04:05 AM
I move Sigmund to the tree to my right.

[roll0]

If the ride check failed I load my xbow, if it didn't I ready an action If a gnoll appears shootable I load my xbow and shoot it

If my poisonmaking makes me entitled to a roll [roll1]

Moranica
2011-07-19, 07:26 AM
Buzz slings a small ball of electricity at the gnoll next to the windwall.

Casting lesser orb of electricity, while using 1 charge of ring of mystic lightning
Ranged touch attack [roll0], for [roll1] + [roll2] electricity damage, no save

Croverus
2011-07-21, 11:16 PM
Laurent points a finger at one of the injured gnolls and mutters a simple word, two bolts of force fly forth and punch through its defenses. The Magic Missles would feel like it was burning from the inside out. Laurent's expression seemed almost bored.

rolled the damage in ooc

theos911
2011-07-24, 11:59 AM
Round 4

Mo decides to look for a better shooting spot, moving a bit to the right and readying to take a shot at any gnoll foolish enough to come through the windwall. Buzz attempts to conjure a spell, but overexerts himself in the process. His spell fails and he is left drained and damaged. Dominik lashes out at a nearby gnoll, landing a solid blow and nearly killing it. Laurent then lets off two burning force missiles at the gnoll. The bolts cut deep, killing the gnoll instantly.

With over half of their comrades dead, the gnolls abruptly withdraw and retreat, running deeper into the forest.

Round 5
Your move:

theos911
2011-07-24, 12:02 PM
Dominik is convinced to not let a single one of those beasts make it back.

Move action: Move 15 feet and draw bow as free action.

If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you may draw a weapon as a free action combined with a regular move.

Standard: Shoot gnoll #1

Attack:[roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2]

Croverus
2011-07-24, 01:18 PM
Laurent gathers a pinch of some components, smirking. "I love the smell of brimstone." He moves his hands and a small red orb appears in them. An identical sphere of flame pops into existence in the same are as one of the gnolls, burning it if it can't avoid the ball. He manipulates the miniature orb inbetween his ahnds, making the little orb spin. The Flaming Sphere responds by rolling, the flames scorching at a second Gnoll if it can't avoid the fire.

Moranica
2011-07-24, 01:25 PM
"Aaahh.... What happenend? Blasted gnolls!! If I can't do it with spells, arrows will have to do!!"

Buzz fizzles the windwall and shoots at the gnoll without bow. [roll0]; [roll1]

Kaww
2011-07-24, 03:46 PM
You know, if I didn't know any better I would say that the dumb brutes laid poisons traps. Just my opinion, you don't have to take my word.

[roll0]
Mo stirs Sigmund so that they go around the area he suspects holds the poison traps. He stays at least 20ft away from the edge of the safe zone.

I suggest you follow us. Sigmund is highly trained and experienced with this sort of thing.

theos911
2011-07-28, 09:31 AM
Round 5
Buzz, irritated with his blundering failure, lets down the wall. His accuracy is still keen, but as his strength waivers he fails to pull the bow string far enough for his shot to do much damage. Mo follows up with another shot; however it lands quite a bit short of his target. Dominik, laughing to himself about his comrades inability to shoot, sends out a perfect shot. It slices clearly through its target, tearing it's entrails from it's gut and crackling with the remaining electrical energy. The target is dead before he realizes he is even shot. Laurent, seemingly bored, decides to play a little game of high-stakes gnoll-bowling. He summons a large writhing ball of flame and bounces it like a pinball between his two targets, badly damaging each.

The gnolls continue to run, screeching like rabid dogs. They reach the edge of the light area you are in and disappear into the denser forest, from which you came.

Round End
Your move:

theos911
2011-07-28, 09:33 AM
Dominik:

Quickly moving back towards the group:

"I reckon we got two options if we still wanna be saving those lads a'fore they get cooked up like a couple a crawdadies. We can either follow those two little pups on der way out or a keep moving forward like a fly to a dead fish.

Personally, I think we a best be moving forward to hit the next defensive line soon as we can. Dem pups either gonna lead us into nowhere or the next line anyway. Sumin dat's true, I see no use following 'em then, might as well just keep making a way to the yelping buzzards next line?

Also, I agree wit Mo der, I seen these dogs pack up a pile a herbs so nasty they a make ya eyes fall out! I wouldn't be recomening anyone be steppin on one anytime soon ...specially not by me, ya hear!"

Kaww
2011-07-28, 09:39 AM
Letting off another bolt after the gnolls.
I say we ignore these two. That or you send your little stinker to finish them off. We have a job to do and I don't want to lose the easy money.

Moranica
2011-07-28, 09:44 AM
"Agreed. Let's head for our goal and finish this. One more of these gnoll encounters and I'll be out of spells."

Kaww
2011-07-28, 09:50 AM
Are you alright Buzz? Your voice seems to be giving you trouble and you look like somebody squeezed the life from you.

[roll0] For the lulz and to figure out what is wrong with him.

Moranica
2011-07-28, 09:56 AM
"I don't feel to well. My powers took more out of me then usual. I'm sure it'll pass with a good night of sleep and a decent meal."