PDA

View Full Version : To enforce no laptops/paper only at the risk of losing players?

Pika...
2011-02-23, 10:18 PM
My group has a serious problem with this. Extremely disrespectful at times. The member currently DMing for his first time is having an even bigger time keeping it in check, and I when I start DMing again have pretty much had it. with people suddenly breaking down laughing at Motivational Posters or playing their own music/Youtube videos randomly. Expressions on players where clearly they are not paying attention to the acting DM, or just barely enough.

So, I know this would go down really bad with my group (except for the one who has to Skype in), but I feel at least for a while it would be needed.

Thoughts? Any experience with such situations?

WarKitty
2011-02-23, 10:20 PM
What we ended up doing is instituting a rule that if you are not paying attention, you lose whatever action you could have taken. This includes being denied saving throws, not making AoO's, being helpless while the rest of the party paints you pink, etc. It doesn't stop people from using laptops, but it penalizes players who don't listen.

Doc Roc
2011-02-23, 10:24 PM
Just turn off internet access, or hack up your routing table.

Silus
2011-02-23, 10:38 PM
As the previously mentioned first-time-DM, I do not have a problem with people surfing the net. For the record, I have issue with people fething interrupting me when I'm trying to do some narration, but that's neither here nor there.

Personally, I figure that while computers may offer many distractions, we as players would just find something else to be distracted by without a laptop. Like myself, I'd probably start drawing during those sections that have nothing to do with my character (those little one person asides you're so fond of).

Rankar
2011-02-23, 10:43 PM
If you lose players who become upset over asking them to not interrupt the session, then you're probably better off without them.

If you find out why they're constantly interrupting rather than paying attention, it might help resolve how to fix it without the blanket ban of computers.

Pika...
2011-02-23, 10:45 PM
What we ended up doing is instituting a rule that if you are not paying attention, you lose whatever action you could have taken. This includes being denied saving throws, not making AoO's, being helpless while the rest of the party paints you pink, etc. It doesn't stop people from using laptops, but it penalizes players who don't listen.

This sounds like an idea worth trying for a session or two to see how it works. :smallsmile:

Just turn off internet access, or hack up your routing table.

Where will hopefully be living there is an unlocked connect used by the group.

As the previously mentioned first-time-DM, I do not have a problem with people surfing the net. For the record, I have issue with people fething interrupting me when I'm trying to do some narration, but that's neither here nor there.

Personally, I figure that while computers may offer many distractions, we as players would just find something else to be distracted by without a laptop. Like myself, I'd probably start drawing during those sections that have nothing to do with my character (those little one person asides you're so fond of).

Really, from what I remember last session it got you ticked. One player started trying to recap what he should have fully been listening to.

And true, but doodling and such are much less attention grabbing and retaining.

And it happens WAY more than just on the character one-on-ones. Like oh-my-Corallel more.

If you lose players who become upset over asking them to not interrupt the session, then you're probably better off without them.

If you find out why they're constantly interrupting rather than paying attention, it might help resolve how to fix it without the blanket ban of computers.

Part could be due to the one-on-one, but a lot of it is just disrespectfulness b all parties. I make it a point to focus and even close/ignore my laptop during session, and other players' turns.

Silus
2011-02-23, 10:49 PM

If you find out why they're constantly browsing the internet rather than paying attention, it might help resolve how to fix it without the blanket ban of computers.

If I may, I have a reason for the browsing the internet, at least when Pika is DMing (I'm in his group).

While a great DM, he has the tendency to stick with one or two people when he gets going. They get their own little "side missions" which is usually centered around those character's background or aspirations. This tends to leave, at least in my experience, those that are not involved in a meaningful way as sort of....viewers. We get to see how things unfold for those characters, though our characters don't quite get a say. Now, as a player, I find this to be rather...boring. So what do I do? I amuse myself with what is at hand (usually the internet) until my character can come back in and be active.

Really, from what I remember last session it got you ticked. One player started trying to recap what he should have fully been listening to.

No, what ticked me off to no end was when I was trying to describe something and I'd get interrupted by that one player right in the middle, and more often than not, it was about something completely not related to what was happening.

gbprime
2011-02-23, 10:50 PM
How about just ask that they not watch videos, post messages, chat, or email while in the game? That's not so hard.

Besides, those of us who have been gaming since before there was wireless internet will find SOMETHING else to do. Solitaire yahtzee, paint a miniature, design an Iron Chef entry...

HunterOfJello
2011-02-23, 10:56 PM
Laptops and cell phones are a game killer that waste the time and efforts of everyone at the table. If you aren't willing to pay attention to what's happening in the game, then you shouldn't be there.

Players using laptops and cell phones ruined one of the groups I DMed for and led to the group getting dismantled.

Now I've been running a game for several months with the people from the previous group who didn't use their cell phones and laptops during the sessions.

Pika...
2011-02-23, 10:56 PM
If I may, I have a reason for the browsing the internet, at least when Pika is DMing (I'm in his group).

While a great DM, he has the tendency to stick with one or two people when he gets going. They get their own little "side missions" which is usually centered around those character's background or aspirations. This tends to leave, at least in my experience, those that are not involved in a meaningful way as sort of....viewers. We get to see how things unfold for those characters, though our characters don't quite get a say. Now, as a player, I find this to be rather...boring. So what do I do? I amuse myself with what is at hand (usually the internet) until my character can come back in and be active.

Amusingly that is why I was debating not running after you leave.

Want to know why those two players are usually the only ones focused on? Because they take five minutes to write down the easy to complete one-sheet paper (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/origin/wikis/your-characters-background-and-portrait) that gives me a background for them, and something to work with period as a DM. :smallsigh:

Or at least we talk about the PC for a half-hour or so.

I have sent out the paper twice already, and nadda from anyone. Literally ten minutes ago I was thinking if no one came up with them again by at least two weeks to give me time to plan/world build I simply won't bother running. All I have is one payer's basic background, since he is helping me stat out his homebrew race and their history. So you would end up stuck following that PC story again all bored. I am trying people...:smallsigh:

Vladislav
2011-02-23, 11:07 PM

While a great DM, he has the tendency to stick with one or two people when he gets going. They get their own little "side missions" which is usually centered around those character's background or aspirations. This tends to leave, at least in my experience, those that are not involved in a meaningful way as sort of....viewers.In that case, laptops are not the problem. They are the sympthom.

Want to know why those two players are usually the only ones focused on? Because they take five minutes to write down the easy to complete one-sheet paper (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/origin/wikis/your-characters-background-and-portrait) that gives me a background for them, and something to work with period as a DM. :smallsigh:That's ... not a good reason at all. If the majority of the players aren't interested in outlining their characters' aspirations and background, why do you, as the DM, have to doggedly focus on this aspect of play? Can't they do something that's not related to their background? Can't they, I dunno, rescue the princess, slay the dragon, save the world, whatever generic heroes do?

Saying "I'll punish those who didn't do their homework by turning them into spectators for the session" is just ... for lack of better word, weak.

Silus
2011-02-23, 11:16 PM
In that case, laptops are not the problem. They are the sympthom.

That's ... not a good reason at all. If the majority of the players aren't interested in outlining their characters' aspirations and background, why do you, as the DM, have to doggedly focus on this aspect of play? Can't they do something that's not related to their background? Can't they, I dunno, rescue the princess, slay the dragon, save the world, whatever generic heroes do?

Saying "I'll punish those who didn't do their homework by turning them into spectators for the session" is just ... for lack of better word, weak.

The main problem is that our characters rarely last for longer than a few sessions. I kid you not, first two characters I made for his game had backstories. First was a Human Half-Machine Ranger. I wrote up a two page backstory for her. She was dead by session two and nothing was explored at all with her backstory. Second, a Dwarf Fighter from a merc company. Didn't even get to fight with him 'cause at the end of the session, we all became Gods and I had to retire him.

MightyPirate
2011-02-23, 11:18 PM
Sounds like a bad case of this (http://arsludi.lamemage.com/?s=initiative), but not just in combat. I'd recommend talking to your players about the distractions and verifying the problem.

You may want to start by saying that you're thinking about the restriction, telling the players why it's a problem and asking them if they have any ideas to deal with the issue instead of outright banning computers.

Also, try to get the party to work as a team and give them as many reasons to care about their comrade's goals as you feasibly can.

EDIT: No background provided for a certain PC? You should have fun with it:
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/7519/backgroundvr.jpg

Pika...
2011-02-23, 11:19 PM
That's ... not a good reason at all. If the majority of the players aren't interested in outlining their characters' aspirations and background, why do you, as the DM, have to doggedly focus on this aspect of play? Can't they do something that's not related to their background? Can't they, I dunno, rescue the princess, slay the dragon, save the world, whatever generic heroes do?

I see your point. :smallfrown:

The problem is, I find I have little to work with with characters who basically have no past/history/identity. Plus, those players who give me a background/nemesis/family/etc I can weave all that into my homebrewed world so the players/PCs who gave it to me to explore. Naturally player X and player Y who worked on their characters are gonna want to do this, so they do and the campaigns end up focusing on them as the players who just made some random adventurers just end up coming along for the ride.

Think you have the main characters with tons of history, canon, and fluff to work with in Star Trek on away missions, and you have the random crew members in the away mission. Who am I going to weave the plot around more? Naturally on the fly the ones I have more to work with.

The main problem is that our characters rarely last for longer than a few sessions. I kid you not, first two characters I made for his game had backstories. First was a Human Half-Machine Ranger. I wrote up a two page backstory for her. She was dead by session two and nothing was explored at all with her backstory. Second, a Dwarf Fighter from a merc company. Didn't even get to fight with him 'cause at the end of the session, we all became Gods and I had to retire him.

Yes, true, but even other party members agreed it was just bad luck for you. I mean really bad. I am currently working on making the game less leathel, though. Also, I had big plans for your cyborg girl. Oh boy did I. So it would have been explored.

Safety Sword
2011-02-23, 11:23 PM
Sounds like this is a bit more personal than just laptops at the table. You guys don't seem to like each others DM/player styles.

I hope you had a pre-nup. Sounds like it's about to get nasty :smalleek:

Innis Cabal
2011-02-23, 11:23 PM
I think this problem should be discussed by your players on your players time and that it's entirely inappropriate to carry an argument between two players over the forums when it should be settled in person.

Darakonis
2011-02-23, 11:24 PM
If they are interrupting gameplay (say, to make people watch a YouTube video or look at a demotivational poster), then you need to take a proactive approach.

Make a house rule: every 30/60 minutes, we'll take a 5-minute break, during which we can talk about stuff unrelated to the game as people go to the washroom/grab drinks. Outside of break time, no one is allowed to bring up things unrelated to the game.

If they are just not paying attention, as has been mentioned, they'll find other ways to not pay attention, laptop or not. I started DMing when laptops were just "those portable computers you hear about," and trust me, people can distract themselves well enough with pencil and paper.

My rule? I don't repeat myself. You weren't paying attention? Tough luck. Oh, you didn't know you were standing in front of the King when you just drew your sword? That's a shame; you probably should have been paying attention.

A couple bad experiences, and you'll see how people start paying closer attention.

Peace,
-Darakonis

arguskos
2011-02-23, 11:25 PM
I think this problem should be discussed by your players on your players time and that it's entirely inappropriate to carry an argument between two players over the forums when it should be settled in person.
Agreed. This is becoming a slap-fight on the interwebs, when it should be handled face to face on your time. This is not the venue for such things.

Pika...
2011-02-23, 11:31 PM
Sounds like a bad case of this (http://arsludi.lamemage.com/?s=initiative), but not just in combat. I'd recommend talking to your players about the distractions and verifying the problem.

You may want to start by saying that you're thinking about the restriction, telling the players why it's a problem and asking them if they have any ideas to deal with the issue instead of outright banning computers.

Also, try to get the party to work as a team and give them as many reasons to care about their comrade's goals as you feasibly can.

This makes a lot of sense to me. I admit I am far from a veteran DM, so I need to work on this issue. I still want to focus heavily on character's stories/journey's , though. :smallfrown:

ps. All my players on these boards please read this an give me your opinions.

edit:

Agreed. This is becoming a slap-fight on the interwebs, when it should be handled face to face on your time. This is not the venue for such things.

Fight?

I was finding my players comments extremely non-offensive and all the comments useful. Maybe I am partly to blame for this, and this thread is proving very useful to diagnose the real issues at play.

Still, it does not explain why it is done at all our DMs' games? :smalleek:

TurtleKing
2011-02-23, 11:39 PM
At least you have found a way to occupy yourself during those times.

Edit: Don't let a player trying to grab the DM's attention for the past X minutes happen. When that happens things go down hill. For instance when I am yelling to be noticed at 2 in the morning waking up the neighbors or preventing them from sleeping. For instance in our group's last pirate session with two party members tangled up with each other trying to stop the fuse to a lot gunpowder from blowing up taking up ten minutes. My character with his breath attack was trying to melt the side of the boat so it could start sinking resulting in at least a smaller explosion. Which only happened because I finally got his attention by you two stepping outside. SO Pika and Silus quit hogging all of the DM's attention, and maybe you will see I am not as quiet as I seem to be. My 2cp

Silus
2011-02-23, 11:41 PM
Still, it does not explain why it is done at all our DMs' games? :smalleek:

Mostly browsing occurs when people begin checking rules or abilities or something where we have to put the game on hold. And there always comes that time where the one looking up the stuff turns to those ******* around and...requests that they pay attention, even though the game is on hold for rules.

TurtleKing
2011-02-23, 11:59 PM
Simple answer to looking up rules is find all of the necessary ones like your spells, feats, skills, methods of movement/ attack/ damage, and saves that pertain to your character before hand in a convenient way for quick reference.

Edit: Also something me and Pika found out is if the site you use for your character sheet is not working you are out of luck. Best way around this to have multiple versions in different forms. Has anyone seen HungerIvan lately?

cupkeyk
2011-02-24, 01:18 AM

This is also enforced in our tables but not because of laptops. It's because another player and myself were always drunk.

Lawless III
2011-02-24, 07:53 AM

This has always been my groups unofficial rule. Maybe I'm just a jerk, but I assume people who are staring slack-jawed at their computers are just roleplaying their zoned out characters. :smalltongue:

lokoone
2011-02-24, 09:10 AM
My DM uses the following rule,
if you are not paying attention she says: "stop doing whatever you are doing or you are dead"
if you dont hear/ dont pay attention... well your character is dead..

The Big Dice
2011-02-24, 09:26 AM
If your players don't reapect you enough to turn electronic devices off at the gaming table, do you really want them sat at said table?

Tyndmyr
2011-02-24, 09:29 AM
IMO, allow a certain period of screwing around time before the game starts. Whatever works for your group. However, once the game starts, laptops and such get put away. They can be a huge distraction.

Giving people time to be goofy and get it out of their system can be good, but you also need to balance that with the fact that ya'll did get together to actually play the game.

Erom
2011-02-24, 09:36 AM
Personally, as a DM, I'm of the opinion that people will always find ways to distract themselves, and if your players aren't paying attention it is basically always the DM's fault. Game is boring. Make it more interesting.

If you take away laptops people are just going to twiddle on their phones or talk to each other, if you take away even that, people are just going to doodle or daydream. You can't FORCE people to be interested in the game if the game isn't interesting.

big teej
2011-02-24, 09:38 AM
it seems to me that there are really 2 problems at hand.

1. the laptop issue - my kneejerk reaction to the title of the thread was "if I can't use my laptop, I'm not playing." my handwriting is crap, and I am not copying down all the information I keep on my computer onto a piece of paper.

after reading the thread, I feel that you should just make it abundantly clear that outside of certain circumstances. youtube and stuff doesn't fly in session, and unless you're using your laptop to keep track of your charactersheet like I do. you're laptop SHOULD NOT BE PRESENT

opportunity makes the thief.

2. some personal issues between silus and pika IRL...
I'm not quite sure this is something we (or at least I) can help with.

I feel that y'all should really meet up IRL and talk it out (in a calm, mature, constructive manner) as opposed to snipeing at each other on here.

class is about to start so I didn't have time to read the whole thread
but I will asap
promise
:smalltongue:

valadil
2011-02-24, 09:39 AM
people suddenly breaking down laughing at Motivational Posters or playing their own music/Youtube videos randomly.

This crosses a line. I don't think that level of disruption is ever appropriate in a game. If someone wants to remove themselves while checking email or facebook or something, fine. I'd be lying if I said I never played Angry Birds during game. But I do that sort of thing when I'm out of the spotlight and only when it doesn't distract anyone else. Sometimes even a long combat is enough to drive me to my iPhone.

I do think you'd be within your rights to ban electronics at the game table. But if you do so you should make an effort to keep everyone in the scene all the time. It's not fair if a player has to sit out for an hour and isn't allowed to entertain himself.

How's this for a compromise with your players? Laptops stay closed when the player is in a scene and volume is muted. But people can entertain themselves when their characters aren't busy.

FelixG
2011-02-24, 10:00 AM
The "you loose your actions saves ect" is a good one that I use when I run.

Another good one is airsoft gun, if they are not listening pop them or the table next to them, also use this in my group. "You were attacked, you took airsoft damage, now pay attention!" :smallyuk:

Kiero
2011-02-24, 10:52 AM

This. Its just straight up disrespectful, inconsiderate and immature. Grown-ups are capable of paying attention even when it's not their turn.

Tyndmyr
2011-02-24, 10:53 AM
Well, at least not distracting others. I don't mind if someone quietly rolls dice, or scribbles an idea on a notepad or what not, but videos on youtube don't merely occupy the individual, they distract others as well.

valadil
2011-02-24, 12:52 PM
The "you loose your actions saves ect" is a good one that I use when I run.

My concern with that technique is that it will encourage further apathy. If I wasn't into a session and playing Angry Birds to pass the time, having my game actions taken away wouldn't be much of a punishment. The problem is that the game is not captivating to all the players. Taking their actions away makes the game even less interesting and decreases their chance of participation.

Vladislav
2011-02-24, 01:02 PM
I see your point. :smallfrown:

The problem is, I find I have little to work with with characters who basically have no past/history/identity. Plus, those players who give me a background/nemesis/family/etc I can weave all that into my homebrewed world so the players/PCs who gave it to me to explore.

I believe the (majority of) your players have given you a clear indication they don't want a background/nemesis/family/etc woven into your homebrewed world. They just don't want it.

And when you concentrate on the small handful of players who do want it, turning the others into spectators, you alienate them even further. Time to find some common denominator, and find something you all can enjoy.

Pika...
2011-02-24, 01:09 PM
I believe the (majority of) your players have given you a clear indication they don't want a background/nemesis/family/etc woven into your homebrewed world. They just don't want it.

And when you concentrate on the small handful of players who do want it, turning the others into spectators, you alienate them even further. Time to find some common denominator, and find something you all can enjoy.

Good point. :smallconfused:

But then, I refuse to just run hack-and-slash "save the princess" or "or slay the dragon" games. Boy I have always hated those.

Perhaps I should move on then? Find a group with the same wants as I?

Vladislav
2011-02-24, 01:12 PM
Perhaps I should move on then? Find a group with the same wants as I?That's a very good idea.

Pika...
2011-02-24, 01:15 PM
That's a very good idea.

Sad I am, but perhaps it is for the best.

Sipex
2011-02-24, 01:16 PM
Good point. :smallconfused:

But then, I refuse to just run hack-and-slash "save the princess" or "or slay the dragon" games. Boy I have always hated those.

I think you're missing the point, a character with an unavailable backstory does not mean you need to run a basic trope game. Come up with a plot that doesn't require the players to have backgrounds but can incorporate the backgrounds of those who wish to provide it. Just make sure there's a common want to explore the plot amongst the players, some sort of joint ambition.

Pika...
2011-02-24, 01:18 PM
I think you're missing the point, a character with an unavailable backstory does not mean you need to run a basic trope game. Come up with a plot that doesn't require the players to have backgrounds but can incorporate the backgrounds of those who wish to provide it. Just make sure there's a common want to explore the plot amongst the players, some sort of joint ambition.

That is what I have been trying.

valadil
2011-02-24, 01:23 PM

You need to communicate what type of game you're running to your players. If they want to do a dungeon crawl and you want plotty intrigue, you're not going to be happy in the same game. They need to know what kind of game you're running before you start running it. It can be difficult for players to understand this because offering to run a D&D game can mean so many different things. If they don't want to play the game you are trying to run, then it's probably time to move on.

Cute_Riolu
2011-02-24, 01:24 PM
Sad I am, but perhaps it is for the best.

Before you do ANYTHING of the sort, talk to your players. All of them.

Sipex
2011-02-24, 01:28 PM

Okay, but this time with less focus on the players with backstories.

Instead of giving them a private mission or scene reduce it to a courteous nod to their character back story or a bit of information they can share with the other characters or a bonus to a roll.

For instance, the rogue grew up with the now-mayor of the town. Instead of letting them chat it out, give them special permission to see the mayor while implying that it's usually really difficult. Allowing the rogue to hit up the guard and say "Tell him it's Tim, we go way back." and then be let in is plenty.

When actually talking to the mayor though he might say "Hi" to Tim but overall he'll address the whole group.

TurtleKing
2011-02-24, 01:34 PM
The reason I tend to not provide a backstory or much of one is the DM tends to center the plot around me. Granted I also tend to play more of the exotic creatures so it is his way of justifing my character being there. So Pika here is a little something try centering the plot around someone else instead of me, and let me play something that is only partial exotic. After having played the prinny I tried to get him looking at someone else for his plots and failed. Frankly I would like to play a character similar to how the Phasm is in its descriptive text. The happy-go-lucky out exploring or whatever having fun character.

MightyPirate
2011-02-24, 01:38 PM
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/3917/909324293f1c2db2a9.jpg
My group has a minimum background required for every game. All characters must start with a reason that they are in the same area as everyone else, working towards the same goal, or working for the same organization.

Personal side-quests are allowed but they must involve the entire party in some way. This can mean a compromise, the character who's background is being focused on agrees to help the rest of the party in some meaningful way (that they wouldn't do otherwise) or more preferably: all characters in the party should just strait up care about the well being or their comrades.

TurtleKing
2011-02-24, 01:52 PM
That would be great if the main plot didn't always revolve around one person. Having a person's little side quests that everyone can enjoy helping them on would be great instead of the main plot character taking the others for a joy ride.

So lets keep the ones with a backstory has side quests instead of the main one that the others could help them with.

On behalf of the group I apologize that this is being discussed here rather than face to face yet. I do hope that since this is here it helps other groups with their issues.

Pika...
2011-02-24, 02:16 PM
The reason I tend to not provide a backstory or much of one is the DM tends to center the plot around me. Granted I also tend to play more of the exotic creatures so it is his way of justifing my character being there. So Pika here is a little something try centering the plot around someone else instead of me, and let me play something that is only partial exotic. After having played the prinny I tried to get him looking at someone else for his plots and failed. Frankly I would like to play a character similar to how the Phasm is in its descriptive text. The happy-go-lucky out exploring or whatever having fun character.

I'd love to, but you're the only one who usually gives me stuff to work with. :smallconfused:

And it is usually such good stuff I run with it, since it helps build my homebrewed world which has become my pet project.

valadil
2011-02-24, 02:22 PM
Pika, out of curiosity, what would happen if you took the opposite approach? If your players don't want to do a backstory you could write one for them. Tie their backstories into the ones that other players wrote and you'll have a game full of plots that effect everyone. Do you think the players would go for that?

Pika...
2011-02-24, 02:29 PM
Pika, out of curiosity, what would happen if you took the opposite approach? If your players don't want to do a backstory you could write one for them. Tie their backstories into the ones that other players wrote and you'll have a game full of plots that effect everyone. Do you think the players would go for that?

I do not think so. And at that point I imagine it would be meaningless fluff they would not even care about exploring.

MightyPirate
2011-02-24, 02:36 PM
I do not think so. And at that point I imagine it would be meaningless fluff they would not even care about exploring.

I'm sorry, I gotta reiterate here.

EDIT: No background provided for a certain PC? You should have fun with it:
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/7519/backgroundvr.jpg

I know it's more work for you but you could really set up some nice stories. I've played games where I didn't know everything about my character's past from the get go and it ended up being really entertaining. I found out during play that my character had not only been hustling drugs but was also adopted and plotting to kill his rich step-father. Run with it from there and you're bound to have a blast.

Tyndmyr
2011-02-24, 02:37 PM
Some people don't care about backstories. Thats fine. Their characters will develop eventually as they respond to things.

Find ways to pull in other people, and spread the goodness around. Some people love the RP, some like a good dungeon crawl, others a puzzle, etc. Everyone's got their favorite things. Some games advise GMs to ask for this info up front, but even if you don't, it's something to keep track of.

Dalek-K
2011-02-24, 02:41 PM
I actually think IMing the DM when you want to do something that the other characters won't know about it wonderful :)

As a DM I tested this out and it was a lot more fun than the rogue writing on a piece of paper and handing it to me... Cause then they knew he was up to something (same with the CG paladin of freedom). Also if there was a rule question they could IM it to me and I could read it and if i brought it up then that means it is up for discussion or if i im'd something back like "will fix next time " then they would know I'm sorry for messing up :p

Also when a player wanted to set up a trap during the battle he/she would email me the trap... And if the monster sprung the trap due to say moving into the spell's area or something then they would IM me to read the email. Please note that this works in 4e also)

If they aren't paying attention then they shouldn't be playing.

TurtleKing
2011-02-24, 03:01 PM
Something that might also work is the this your backstory as you play it. For instance I am playing a baby black dragon in one other campaigns. He doesn't really have a past since he is a baby. This a lot like playing a level 0 campaign. So basically play the formitive years or growing up.

Edit:@Pika I know I tend to give you good stuff especially that prinny. However try to run with someone else this time. Encourage them to review what you have written up for your world and create a character from there. This just came to mind why not lets say make Silus as a catgirl along with me. That way we already know each other, and if our race ends up becoming plot centric then we are both involved. I will try to be his sidekick in that case since I might just be a straight Psionic Artificer.

Edit: The reason why I use my laptop is because of my character sheet, pdf books (legally), and srd.

Pika...
2011-02-24, 03:41 PM
OK, you folks gave me an odd idea. What if instead of individual backstories alone, I require the following be done as a group sit down?

My Communal Background Sheet (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10440665)

Tael
2011-02-24, 04:28 PM
My group always has two laptops running, and in the beginning one player was a problem, but just talk to them. If your players aren't mature enough to stop after you tell them to stop, then you shouldn't be playing D&D with them.

Cute_Riolu
2011-02-24, 04:30 PM
OK, you folks gave me an odd idea. What if instead of individual backstories alone, I require the following be done as a group sit down?

My Communal Background Sheet (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10440665)

That sounds like a wonderful idea to me. I wish more games did that, in fact.

Tyndmyr
2011-02-24, 04:34 PM
It does indeed. Most players like talking about themselves and what they want, and will happily participate in such a scheme, giving you all manner of useful information.

Occasionally there's trouble in getting quieter types to speak up, but those types aren't usually the sort who whips out a laptop and starts distracting everyone.

valadil
2011-02-24, 04:49 PM
Communal background is a good option. To see another example of it, check out the Dresden Files RPG.

Vknight
2011-02-24, 05:06 PM
I personally enforce a confiscation policy until the end of the metting if my players do stuff with computers, texting, etc.
If it becomes a big problem for any individual player it goes from losing actions to having that attack that almost hit actually hitting.

MightyPirate
2011-02-24, 05:08 PM

My Communal Background Sheet (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10440665)Eh, give it a shot. What's the worst that can happen?

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/9022/tryscienceshirt300.png