PDA

View Full Version : Chicks! Dig! Foot-high Robots! Got Custom Robo (GCN): my thoughts.

deuxhero
2011-02-23, 10:44 PM
OK, finished the main "A New Journey" mode (sadly only about 7 or 8 hours, there's a second mode, "Grand Battle", but I'm still working on that and it doesn't seem as developed, being an epilogue consistanting of a bunch of tournaments).

My thoughts.

Firstly, the game is hilarious. It makes good use of character for the humor, and the use of a large number of background characters, that while havering standard appearances, all have unique personalities and traits (for example the "Cop" that is really just a "groupie" of the real police in a costume) is a very nice touch. My personal favorite gag is the use of a varying third option on top of the standard "got it" and "don't got it" in tutorial segments (which are present up till the very end of the "A New Journey" mode, but go by quick and are text explanations of mechanics), that always leads to lulz. Sadly this seems to have disappeared in the "Grand Battle" mode's few tutorials, leaving only a yes and repeat option. The humor easily pushes this game from "above average" to "awesome".

The actual battles are fairly fun as well. The main battle system is fairly solid and allows a good number of possible tactics depending on how one customizes their robo (Some of the ones I have been using a lot is bombarding the enemy with a robo model that can glide, using a fast robo with parts that boost speed and the one melee weapon in the game, and using robo model with teleportation abilities to get close and use a comparatively short range weapon). The bad part is that during the main story mode, you don't really get that many parts (or at least a variety of parts anyways) until the end, so it is perfectly possible to use one setup, acquired early one, and not bother changing it until the end.

The story is actually quite interesting, while very funny (see above), does do some serious parts well (and the "twist" is very effective).

Above all, worth the 10 bucks I payed. How's the DS Custom Robo Arena? Is it as funny?

Razgriez
2011-02-23, 11:24 PM
You did get the "alternate" ending right? the one before you leave to go save the "world"? (gained by repeatedly refusing to go on the final mission)

Custom Robo, was a fun, if simple game when it came out for the Game Cube. I'll admit that.

deuxhero
2011-02-23, 11:33 PM
You did get the "alternate" ending right? the one before you leave to go save the "world"? (gained by repeatedly refusing to go on the final mission)

Custom Robo, was a fun, if simple game when it came out for the Game Cube. I'll admit that.

Nope. I do plan on redoing the mode when I get all the parts though.

Hunter Noventa
2011-02-25, 06:25 AM
Lucky, I picked up a used copy of it, as I've heard how good it was, but it was scratched to hell and unplayable.

Pie Guy
2011-02-25, 09:35 AM
I liked that game.
And the DS version has a completely different story and setting, but most of the same gameplay. I liked both but it wasn't as funny as the Game Cube version.

druid91
2011-02-25, 03:44 PM
I loe this game. There are a few alternate scenes like that ending. You can give the magic watch to Mira. Or you can refuse to go to the bathroom with harry.