PDA

View Full Version : Reciprocal Tax Evasion

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-23, 11:09 PM
As one, Maki, Shudu and Eduardo hear and see something odd outside of the Tomb's entrance.
In the falling rain, something splashes in the mud where Eduardo had seen tracks...
There is a foul curse...
Then a joyful laugh.
A human-sized and shaped figure, stands up and begins trying to wash off some of the mud, using the rain to help.

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-24, 12:03 AM
Confused, Eduardo looks to the scout and barbarian.

Another late-comer? Perhaps... Scout, hold fast to the ceiling and cover our man. Lay still and quiet and he shan't see you. And toss us your torch. The barbarian and I will attempt to... look friendly.

Straining his vision toward the door, the Master of Death calls out.

Ho, fellow guest of this tomb. Come in and know us better, Man. Step into the light if you mean us no harm.

Eduardo steps forward until he is next to Maki, where he stood deliberating whether to pull the golden lever.

Misaat
2011-02-24, 12:11 AM
Maki turns around and listens as Eduardo greets the newcomer. Then an odd sentence causes him to interject.

"Dude. What Light? Its all dark in here except for Shudu's torch"

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-24, 12:17 AM
Yes, the very same. Scout, drop the torch to us! I'll hold it. In case of a fight it will be best if you have both hands on your blade.

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-24, 12:34 AM
Forgot:
Spot [roll0]

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-24, 07:20 AM
"Sorry, boys... But if it were up to me-and it is, I'd never step inside this hell-hole you call the Tomb of Horror's again!"
Eduardo's vision manages to pierce through the darkness and the rain...
It appears...
To be a naked woman!

Misaat
2011-02-24, 07:36 AM
Awesome

"A woman?" Maki thinks as he slowly approaches the entrance.

" What is it you are looking for here in such dangerous place then?"

Spot: [roll0]

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-24, 07:45 AM
She wipes mud from her eyes, and smiles through the rain.
Maki can see an odd feral look about her face and eyes...
"We were looking for lost children from the town, Half-moon Row, through the trees and swamp... Thought it'd be a simple low Challenge Rating quest, I suppose. Of course, I wasn't actually 'aware' then, so how could I know, right? By any chance, have you got a spare cloak?"

Misaat
2011-02-24, 08:17 AM
" Low challenge what now? So what is it you ARE doing here right now. Are you still looking for those children? "

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-24, 08:25 AM
"I'm leaving. And I'm done. No more... I doubt any of them remain, and if they are still alive... Better they were dead... You should leave this place too. Sense Motive check?"

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-24, 12:25 PM
Sense Motive: [roll0] <-----bwaa bwaaaaaaaaa
If she's within 30 ft. I get deathwatch information.

EDIT: OH, the WOMAN was calling for a sense motive check.

Misaat
2011-02-24, 01:02 PM
"A What Check? Listen, we have a mission here. We are not about to leave just now..."

Sense Motive:[roll0]

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-24, 01:07 PM
Wait, are you saying you've come from deeper within the tomb, that you were with the ones that came before us?

Samfool
2011-02-24, 01:32 PM
Shudu sits ever quietly.. waiting

Let it be known that I dropped the torch when he asked the first time xD

Andd here are a bunch of checks for ya
Hide in the shadows, since it fishbowls when you are in a torch, you cannot see out as well as someone outside looking in on you.
[roll0]
Spot to see what this woman is
[roll1]
Sense Motive to see her intentions
[roll2]
and hell, why not a listen check for any abnormal noises?
[roll3]
Now that I think about it, after all is said and done, spot check behind me..
[roll4]

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-24, 01:38 PM
EDIT: OH, the WOMAN was calling for a sense motive check.
Yup. Well, not calling, just referencing it since it would have made sense...

The woman shrugs, rivulets of water running in streams across smooth skin, "It's your funeral, assuming there's anyone left to bury..."
She turns to regard Eduardo, her eyes seem to be looking into him, and recognizing...
"Yes, I've been within the Tomb. My party went in initially... Then we went to sleep, and bad things happened. Then I encountered a second party... You're the third group of people to enter this forsaken place in the last three days-and you better be worth it, the Dungeon Master can't think of anymore ways to introduce another group!"
She fixes them with a admonishing glare.
"Are you going to give me a cloak or not? Or continue gawking at me and interrogating me?"
Eduardo's deathwatch allows him to see that this woman is an undead...
As he makes use of the foul sight granted by the powers of unlife, the woman sticks her tongue out at him and laughs.
"So, what's it gonna be adventurers?"

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-24, 01:41 PM
As Shudu attempts to disappear into the shadows, the woman watches him and continues to make eye contact as he tries to hide.
As he attempts to figure out what she is exactly, she holds a thumb downwards in the rain...
Shudu can't here anything in the rain. And there's nothing behind him except for the shadows of the tomb...

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-24, 01:42 PM
Know: Religion [roll0]

Eduardo's steady gaze betrays nothing as he attempts to puzzle out what manner of creature this is.

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-24, 01:46 PM
She turns back to the dark druid...
... she meets his gaze in the way no living eyes could...
A blood-red tongue pokes out from equally red lips, running over a pair of white fangs...

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-24, 01:59 PM
The master of death nods, removing his cloak and tossing it onto the floor of the tomb between himself and the vampire, muttering a protective charm as he does so.

Deathward SLA is up.

Take the cloak if you want it, but it will do nothing to warm your flesh. I don't know what your true intentions are in coming to this place... perhaps you seek to delay us in our quest, but that is not relevant, because I will tell you what you shall do. You will give us the secrets of this tomb, tell us all you know of it, and tell us honestly. I know not who you are, or what your tale may be, but I do know well the Hell that awaits your kind in the next world and a dozen ways to put you there. I am a master of death, and so I am your master. Speak vampire.

Intimidate Check[roll0] Hoping for an aid another from Maki, too.

EDIT: God damnit. Well, maybe she'll botch her opposed roll.

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-24, 02:04 PM
The attempt at Intimidation fails miserably.
The Vampire sensuously, crouches to pickup the cloak and drapes it over herself.
Her eyes narrow however, and the feral look returns to her face, as the clouds above break for a moment, moonlight reflecting across her fangs.
"How could YOU, a numerical construct, a system of numbers for the entertainment of others possibly hope to Intimidate ME!"
She snarls.
"Master of Death! Test me, and see who is the Master! I KNOW things you will never ever understand-I will tell you NOTHING, unless you pay for it..."
In the distance, towards the mountains wolves howl...

Samfool
2011-02-24, 02:08 PM
What am I thinking? Activate Invisibility ring >.>

Shudu tries to make sense of all this..
'Numerical construct? What is this trickster talking about? And what does she mean by pay for it..?'
Vampires are a tough thing to kill, but a psychotic vampire.. now that is a different story. Shudu moves backward very slowly, avoiding making any sound.

[roll0] <----that my friends is a 20

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-24, 02:10 PM
Eduardo is unfazed. He knows well that no true vampire would be cowed by simple words. He only wished to be sure of what sort of creature he is negotiating with.

The ravages of undeath have driven you mad. You babble. This is... not uncommon. Yet, you know something of this place, and I still believe you'll tell us. I've given you my cloak. And, as you say, perhaps some entertainment, though you are alone in finding this in any way amusing. What will you give us now in return?

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-24, 02:13 PM
She watches Shudu go...
"I am not a trickster! You judge me without knowing me. Condemn me for a crime I did not commit! Do you think I WANTED to be this!"
She glares at Eduardo...
"Less than four days ago, I lived! I LIVED! I was an adventurer. I did good things. I was good. And then I made ONE bad die roll. Then the twisted Dungeon Master thought it'd be interesting to throw a fourth-wall breaking vampire at the PCs! I didn't WANT this! And NOW YOU call me evil! How DARE you!!!!"
The Vampire seethes, visibly restraining herself from saying anymore.
"If you want to know anything about the Tomb... You'll have to make it worth my while... And Maki... Maki, Maki, Maki... If you thing raging is gonna make this a fair fight, think again... Be smart about this one. Don't go reinforcing any stereotypes about Barbarian classes..."
She looks incredulous.
"The cloak is a courtesy to stranded, naked woman in the wild! If you had ANY sense of morality, you wouldn't hope to barter information for my ability to stay warm...
I can tell you... About the other party... Within..."

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-24, 02:17 PM
Eduardo's mind races to make sense of the madness. An adventurer allied with good delves into the tomb... then, a "bad die roll?" A lyrical reference to an unlucky tryst with fate? She must have encountered another vampire in the tomb and been unfortunate enough to die at its hands, to become one herself. But wait... she knows the barbarian's name.

How do you know us?

He holds back a smirk at her last remark. As if a creature as foul as herself could be in some way concerned over the cold or ashamed at her nakedness?

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-24, 02:20 PM
"I know you... Because the Dungeon Master knows you... And what he knows... I know... This is why I exist... To encourage you to think "outside" the box... To stay away from the typical strategies your kind employ..."
She gestures to the Tomb.
"That place... Isn't natural... If you think the cheap, overused tactics of the ten-foot pole will save you... It won't. The secrets of the Tomb require REAL thinking... Be on your guard, Eduardo..."

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-24, 02:23 PM
The master of the dungeon... Acererak? Was the Lich expecting him? Or had he purposely lured him to this place?

Is that what happened to the others? They used foolish tactics in exploring this place?

Misaat
2011-02-24, 02:26 PM
"Why did he give her the cloak if he was just gonna try to scare her ¬¬"

Maki, paying little attention to the woman's crazy talk tries to analize the situation carefully... Other member's of his former tribe would have jumped at her throat the second she as much as hinted at a threat. But he was not like them he was more calm , that's one of the reasons he had left.

" Very well then for the parts i can understand of what you are saying you are trying to help us and yet you can't help us , even tough your old self would have wanted to, without us giving you something in return. That being said the mos important question to make right now would be... What could ,someone with such an awareness and power as you claim to have, want from us that she could'nt get by herself?... "

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-24, 02:27 PM
"Not foolish... Predictable... Tired and outdated... Tactics that have no place within its walls... Arcane spellcasters... As they sleep... There is a risk... A Saving Throw... If they fail... Acererak and Isam takes them! That's how my party was lost..."

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-24, 02:30 PM
She looks at Maki with surprise and respect...
"I want... I want you to let me join you... To enter the Tomb once more... To help me kill Isam..."

Samfool
2011-02-24, 02:31 PM
Shudu has had enough. This is too much. This vampire is either insane or being controlled. And what on earth is she talking about "If you want to know anything about the Tomb... You'll have to make it worth my while"?

An idea popped into his head, and he smirked.

Shudu dropped from the ceiling, undoing his invisibility ring, and called out to the Vampire, "And what does your master want with us? To simply toy with us with his minions? To make us one of you, a 'fourthwall vampire'?"

Ninja'd

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-24, 02:33 PM
A moment ago she said she would never enter the tomb again. Now she's begging to join us. She is hiding something...

Sense Motive [roll0]

Misaat
2011-02-24, 02:36 PM
" Now we are getting somewhere... "

Maki scratch's his chin as he talks.

" I thought you said you didn't want to enter the Tomb again. Besides if you need our help to defeat him that means he must be more powerfull than you. How are we goingt o beat him then? Do you know if he has a weakness inside of this tomb? "

Samfool
2011-02-24, 02:40 PM
Shudu walks across the ceiling over to the woman and stops about ten feet from her. He removes his ring as he does so.

"If you are not here to kill us, and want our help.. what is the price?" Shudu asks

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-24, 02:51 PM
"I am not 'insane'... I am... 'aware'... I have no Master... But there is a true Master... The Dungeon Master... His control extends to the GODS!!!! And I am intrinsically aware and one with him..."
Her face pales, and she holds her head in her hands, muttering to herself, "Oh man, now I sound like one of those preachy people-next, I'll be handing out pamphlets for the new religion of the Dungeon Master!!!! Ugggh!"
Shaking her head, she continues to answer Shudu's questions, being a little more careful of her words, "I have no intention of making anyone like me... I don't know how long I can stave off the hunger... But if it becomes a problem... It won't become a problem! The hunger isn't real. I will never have to feed. Atleast, I hope that's how he rules..."
She laughs, "Oh boy, 'hope'-now, THERE's a joke..."
The Vampire wraps her cloack a little tighter around herself, and nods at Eduardo, "I can see why you'd be suspicious... Maki reminded me that I, though not truly real, might still have wants and needs... I want want, and I need, revenge. On Acererak, and Isam. And Dresden..."
She bites a nail, "And I'm not gonna lie, I think Maki has shifted my stance to 'Friendly', 22 Strength can do that..."
"Maybe, one day I'll show you what 26 Charisma is like under the cloak, eh?", she winks.
"Yes... That is my price... Take me as a 'fourth' member of your party... Lend me spell components and equipment... And I will aid you until the end... We Teleported in however... So I don't know the full extent of the Tomb... But if you take me with you... And guard my secret. I will be loyal unto you!."
Eduardo finds it difficult to tell if she is lying or telling the truth... It may have to do with her point of view... If she doesn't believe in reality, or that he and the others are real... Can she really lie at all? Can one lie if they don't exist? Is it lying to spew nonsense at one whom another believes is nonexistential? Her body language however does conform to one who is telling the truth, but feels uncomfortable or scared.

THIS IS GONNA BE SOOOOO GOOD.

Misaat
2011-02-24, 03:03 PM
Its always the strenght score isnt it ? XD .Shudu i was looking at the sheets and i found out we both had the armor ac wrong XD i had +4 and you had +6 when it should have been +5 so my AC should be 22 and yours 20 ...Sorry :P . Also i put a picture in my sheet since all of you had one. And talkinga bout pictures the one that was supposed to be from Daina isnt there...

Maki smirks at the parts he could understand of her comment.

" Very well then. Group. As i see it. We have 2 choices, we either let her come with us... Or we fight her. Now if we let her follow us and she does betray us then we would have to fight her anyway's but for what i can make out of about how she thinks. If she couldn't take us all on in a fight... She would'nt have appeared before us at all. Even more so when we are not vulnerable or sleeping... So i vote we let her be with us... keep an eye out for some time... and see how it all play's out... What do you say?"

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-24, 03:12 PM
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs32/f/2008/233/2/0/BIRGITTE_SILVERBOW_by_solitarium.jpg
MAJORLY OUT-OF-CHARACTER
This is what The Vampire, currently looks like, sans clothes... Pretty much the face and the hair rings true...
It is also what Daina, a member of the initial PC party looks like, unbeknownst to Maki, Shudu and Eduardo, The Vampire is adopting this woman's form.
Not metagaming!
:smallannoyed: <-Serious face

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-24, 03:16 PM
This creature is on a razor's edge of insanity. Her outbursts and ramblings show that she could at any time unleash her rage on those around her, and not feel the slightest tinge of guilt, even if she weren't a vampire. Can you lie to somebody who doesn't exist? If not, than you certainly can't be loyal to somebody you think isn't real.

A vampire is a dangerous creature, and one that should not be allied with lightly. They lie as naturally as the living breathe; they kill as easily as we eat. And yet, isn't this what Eduardo wanted? To have her share her secrets, to guide them through the tomb?

Fine, then join us. Be our fourth. Share your knowledge with us and bring us before the master of this tomb, and you'll have your help in ending the existence of this Isam. But know this: we are no constructs, we are real, thinking beings. Treat us as such.

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-24, 03:25 PM
"Fine, I'll be your 'fourth'... Do any of you have spell components? Or weapons? I favor light weapons... Allows me to make use of Weapon Finesse you know... Hmmm, guess I had better tone down on wall breaking... Don't want to make my new party members uncomfortable..."
She lifts an eyebrow, "And I'm going to need some actual clothes... As much as you all may enjoy me flaunting myself in the filthy Tomb... I will NOT."

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-24, 03:39 PM
We didn't bring spare clothes, and the only weapon I have is Pax. As for components, I only have what I myself need.

How did you come to be naked?

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-24, 03:44 PM
"I promised a cleric I'd leave all my weapons and items in exchange for my life... It was going to burn me out of existence for my affliction..."
She peers a little nervously at his scythe, "Right. Silver. Of course."
She smiles at Maki, "Could I use one of your javelins?"

Misaat
2011-02-24, 04:37 PM
"You wont? Well that's a shame... Sure you can use one of my javalins"

Maki pulls one of them out and hands it over to her

"Though its not gonna be of a lot of use in close quarters combat... Do you know of any place in here where you can get what you need to arm yourself?"

And that's it till night folks XD

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-24, 04:41 PM
"Yeah, but I don't know how to reach it... I need to cover my face...
Oh wait, I have an idea! I'll be right back!"
The Vampire begins to trudge down the hill, through the rain...
She takes the javelin with her.

And that's it till night folks XD
Okay then, I'm online all day tomorrow.
At this point, I'm wondering, will you guys follow her? Or wait until she comes back?

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-24, 05:58 PM
I'd just as soon let her go and wait. But if she's not back soon, I would go on without her.

For the record, as a player I don't like this situation at all, but the Master knows no fear and is pretty sure he's getting what he wanted when he commanded the vampire to help him.
characters

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-24, 07:53 PM
The Vampire disappears into the rain, and manages to return before they can become impatient...
She walks with a slight limp, but has managed to find gloves, boots, pants, a tunic and a jacket to go with Eduardo's cloak. Pieces of armor have been added, and other parts of a vest and the shirt...
...strategically left out.
It is apparent that she has made modifications to her found outfit with the javelin Maki gave her; though the modifications don't hide the bloodstains...
Furthermore, she looks different as well...
Long brown tresses frame a noble face with piercing pale eyes...
And her lips, while no longer blood red are a crimson that seems more natural.
"It feels good to be me again!"
She flashes Maki a winning smiles, "Let's go! Have you guys found any arches? They're a way of moving about the Tomb!"
The rain has plastered her hair to her face, and the hood doesn't seem to be of any use...
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd57/OasysWebmaster/fantasy-woman-background-1024x768.jpg

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-24, 10:58 PM
OOC: Can we spoiler that image? It's stretching out my screen.

Edaurdo considered asking where the vampire got those clothes, but in the end, decided he'd rather not know.

Yes, actually. There's a misty archway at the end of this corridor. Tell us, how is it used?

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-24, 11:07 PM
"The last one I dived through and ended up here... The gemstones flash when you get close enough to it though, and stop when you move away..."

Can we spoiler that image? It's stretching out my screen.
Sorry, I'll spoiler it, but I think the actual size may be-oh, nevermind, it's fine!
For the sake of convenience, I'll assume the four have reentered the corridor...

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-24, 11:19 PM
The gemstones control it?

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-24, 11:23 PM
"I'd assume for some... For others no... Trial and error is the inly way to find ou-"
Eduardo's death watch registers that the gargoyle appears to no longer be dead...
As the creature stirs upon the dungeon floor, The Vampire peers at it curiously...
"Well... THAT can't be good!"

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-24, 11:30 PM
The party has Initiative.

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-24, 11:45 PM
Eduardo sighs, bemused. At least now he knew how long it takes for the corpses to reanimate. He looks to his companions.

Is it worth putting this pathetic beast down again, or should we simply pass through the archway?

Misaat
2011-02-25, 12:24 AM
The Gargoyle didn't have any sequels from when Shudu disemboweled it?

Maki grasped his Falchion with both hands.

" It may follow us... Lets put it down cut it to pieces and throw it to the pit so it may not bother us again! "

Initiative:[roll0]

Samfool
2011-02-25, 02:22 AM
He already rolled initiative for us Maki.

Shudu, being silent as a mouse about the situation finally speaks, "I dont want to waste my arrows on this monster.."
He pulls out his two handed axe and prepares for a charge at the beast when he comes into range.

"Get next to me Maki, we can take him together." He commands, being very blunt and solemn now, "Vampire! Show us your worth and distract the beast while we charge him into the hole.."

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-25, 08:05 AM
The Vampire nods, crouching down on all fours, "You can call me... Pharrisia..."
Her nose elongnates, and her mouth widens, filling with even more teeth. "Pharrisia"'s joints reverse and hernails become claws as her clothes become fur.
Her length goes from a little over five feet, to about twelve.
Shaking herself all over, Pharrisia howls at the moon, fulfilling her transformation into a dire wolf...
The deafening, mournful and primal note rings through the corridor, leaving a tingly feeling in their spines as they watch the gargoyle stagger to its feet once more...

Taking an alternate form is a Standard Action...
But she'd won Initiative anyways...
Maki, Eduardo and Shudu can take Actions or wait around to see how she does...
Also, we gotta hurry this up...
The others are becoming suspicious!
:smalleek:

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-25, 09:34 AM
Eduardo joins the others, the scythe Pax gripped tightly in his hands, prepared to charge and rend the creature. Let us make this fast. We've wasted enough time already.

Ready action to charge into flanking position and attack with the others.

[roll0] Add 2 for flanking if possible.
[roll1]Jump check if needed.

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-25, 09:37 AM
looks like I miss unless I get that +2 flanking bonus. In case of damage:

[roll0]

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-25, 09:44 AM
Pax slices through the air ineffectually, and the gargoyle is now alerted to the presence of the four...
It looks down at its chest, and points an accusing claw at Maki...

Still player moves.

Misaat
2011-02-25, 11:16 AM
Maki charges towards the creature prepared to drop it down for good this time.

Attack:[roll0]

Damage:[roll1]

Samfool
2011-02-25, 01:04 PM
Shudu and Maki charge together, falchion coming down from the right, axe up from the left. A terrifying duo, about to cleave this twice-dead monster in two..

Since Myth-Weavers is down.. I cannot see my stats. So could you slap on the BAB if you please?

And I am attacking on a charge, same as Maki.
We have an AoO coming for us I believe..

Attack
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1] <---Not as 'fearsome' of an axe as I thought..

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-25, 02:10 PM
Eduardo levels Pax, looking for a point of attack, cautiously circling the creature.

5 foot step into flanking position.

Then, remembering the creature's clumsiness in air and on land, Eduardo hooks the scythe around the creature's knee, attempting to set if off balance.

Trip attempt with the scythe.

If necessary, jump check: [roll0]
Touch attack: [roll1]
Opposed Strength Check: [roll2]

Wow, terrible!

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-25, 02:17 PM
The trip attempt will take place next round...
I can't believe it-with ALL the information I put in the sig...
I didn't put ANY BABs...
:smallfrown:

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-25, 02:30 PM
We can probably extrapolate it from the last gargoyle fight, though.

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-25, 02:37 PM
Good point! I'll go do that.

Misaat
2011-02-25, 02:40 PM
But charging doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity i think :smallconfused:

characters

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-25, 02:44 PM
correct rules knowledge

Only if the target has reach or a feat...

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-25, 02:48 PM
I'm getting a +12 for Maki, a +7 for Shudu and +11 for Eduardo...
Sound right?

And no, charging in and of itself doesn't provoke one.http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd57/OasysWebmaster/Entrancelr.jpg

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-25, 03:00 PM
It's actually +9 for me, but I've only attacked at +11 due to charging/flanks etc so far.

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-25, 03:19 PM
Right... I'm gonna narrate the round up to Eduardo's trip attempt...The attack is rushed and clumsy...
Maki's falchion is too slow, and Shudu's axe strike is too wide. The twin arcs of steel whiz through the air without consequence, and the creature lunges forward to attack.
One of its claws latches onto the barbarian, tearing into Maki's flesh.

[roll]2d8+10[roll] Hit Point Damage to Maki!
[roll0] Slam Damage to Maki!The wolf steps aside, allowing Eduardo to hook Pax behind the gargoyle's leg...
...the gargoyle snarls, and pulling back its sturdy leg to haul the druid forward and down...

Eduardo has been Disarmed!Wisely, Eduardo opts to let go of his weapon rather than being tripped in turn.

Maki and Shudu are up...

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-25, 03:24 PM
Instead of going prone I'll drop the scythe...

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-25, 03:27 PM
Edited! Good decision.

Samfool
2011-02-25, 03:55 PM
"Catch!" Shudu says, throwing his axe to the Druid, pulling out his bow, Shudu runs a few steps backward, preparing his bow to fire a shot at the beast..

Ranged attack roll to see if it gets to Eduardo..
[roll0]

I figure he outa have a weapon, and I have a spare sooooo ^^

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-25, 04:02 PM
Eduardo catches the axe.

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-25, 04:08 PM
My thanks! Looks like the beast has remembered a few of our moves from last time we crossed paths. Let's see if it remembers this...

Eduardo disengages from the gargoyle, deftly leaping over the pit to the west.

That's a withdraw action with an auto-succeeding jump to put me over the pit. Maybe this time the plan will actually work! I'm pretty sure if I ready an action just to jump in front of it, that will stop its movement, stalling it. Maybe next round.

Samfool
2011-02-25, 04:15 PM
Shudu yells to Parissia, then to Maki "Get ready to push the beast into the pit! Maki! Cut off it's escape!"

Shudu runs up the wall in a few bounds and navigates to just above the pit.

(If I can take an attack action..)

He pulls back his bow and fires another arrow, cursing himself for having to waste more of his precious ammo.

Attack
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]
Skirmish
[roll2]

Dont forget the fort save!

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-25, 04:22 PM
Shudu drops his arrow, and it falls on the gargoyle's head, who looks up at the scout with a look of amusement on its face.

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-25, 04:24 PM
If I'm counting right, Maki has two rounds of actions coming to him, ditto for the wolfpire.characters

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-25, 04:31 PM
Yup...
Two rounds for both of 'em. And so does the gargoyle...

Misaat
2011-02-25, 06:02 PM
Actually my base attack would be +17 and +19 when raging and +20 with the boots of speed activated i was using power attack in my last turn

"He hurt me? HE HURT ME?

"Hope you enyoyed your last mistake pal..."

Feeling the Anger swell up from within him Maki clickes his boots together to activate its magic powers one's more and attacks the beast furiously!

Attack 1:[roll0]

Damage 1:[roll1]

Attack 2:[roll2]

Damage 2:[roll3]

Attack 3:[roll4]

Damage 3:[roll5]

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-25, 06:16 PM
The barbarian savagely rips into the gargoyle, and chunks of flesh and bits of bone literally fly everywhere...
The gargoyle stands its ground, groaning in pain as its undead mind tries to understand what exactly is happening to it.
The barbarian attempts another attack, counting on the additional speed of his boots, but the gargoyle fends it off with the edge of a claw.

Maki goes again.
Then the gargoyle and the wolf will have two rounds, then everyone will be back into Round 4! Then all three of you are up again... So technically, Maki can decide actions for the next two rounds...

Misaat
2011-02-25, 06:42 PM
Maki can feel his blood rushing..boiling from inside... He keeps slashing at the beast savagely.

"RAAAAHH"

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-25, 07:23 PM
The barbarian must be slowing...
His first attack is short, and though the second one leaves a long furrow across the zombie gargoyle's face, the final is beaten back by one of the gargoyle's claws.

[roll0]
[roll1]
It snarls angrily, and slashes at the barbarian again!

[roll2]
[roll3]
The Dire Wolf leaps forward to intervene; her long jaws filled with jagged teeth snap at empty air, then she manages to lock the massive fangs o the zombie's sinuous leg. The creature goes down, tripped.
The Dire Wolf howls, anticipating victory, and once again filling the Tomb entrance with it's mournful and bone-chilling note.

It's PRONE!

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-25, 07:27 PM
Maki is bleeding and cut...
His breath comes out in ragged coughs, but he isn't finished yet!

He's down to 25 Hit Points...
I'm going to start adding BABs to the signature...
Misaat, would you mind indicating when Maki is making use of his Power Attack Feat?

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-25, 07:30 PM
Pharrisia sinks her teeth into the gargoyle's throat, clamping down with her massive jaws as it struggles to beat her off.
The gargoyle ignore her however, a remaining eye fixed with hatred upon the barbarian.

Misaat
2011-02-25, 07:31 PM
Ignoring the hot blood that is now flowing from the wound in his chest Maki looks as the creature falls to the ground and prepares what could be a final set of attacks.

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-25, 07:40 PM
Unable to move to defend itself from Maki's rage, the creature's body is beginning to lose form with each hacking blow...
But even the barbarian's mighty attacks aren't enough to fell it just yet...

Be careful man, one (un)lucky roll on my part, and this can be game over for Maki the Barbarian!
Actually, nevermind-he's at 43!

Samfool
2011-02-25, 08:20 PM
Shudu yells down "Maki! Grab his leg and pull him in! Eduardo! Grab the other one!"

Misaat
2011-02-25, 10:32 PM
Unable to move to defend itself from Maki's rage, the creature's body is beginning to lose form with each hacking blow...
But even the barbarian's mighty attacks aren't enough to fell it just yet...

Actually, nevermind-he's at 43!

Is that counting the +18 hp from the rage? Also Samfool i already used my actions for this round. Why dont you just attack him anyways? It must be at 20 hp most

characters

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-25, 10:34 PM
The master of death watches the unfolding horror, almost analytically. Could the creature still stand after sustaining this much damage? How powerful are the bonds of undeath?

Holding my action. If I get the opportunity, I'll throw the thing into the pit, but I have a feeling that Maki is going to execute it this round.

Somebody finish it!

Misaat
2011-02-25, 10:44 PM
The master of death watches the unfolding horror, almost analytically. Could the creature still stand after sustaining this much damage? How powerful are the bonds of undeath?

Holding my action. If I get the opportunity, I'll throw the thing into the pit, but I have a feeling that Maki is going to execute it this round.

Somebody finish it!

I already used up this round S:

characters

Samfool
2011-02-25, 10:47 PM
I dont wanna waste any more arrows, this is a longggg dungeon

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-25, 10:55 PM
Suddenly Eduardo snaps out of his academic revelries. As long as the zombie clung to undeath it remained a threat. Even if it looked pathetic spitting up blood in the shadow of the mighty barbarian, underestimating it could be a grave mistake.

Gripping the scout's axe in hand, Eduardo leaps into action, sailing back across the pit, axe-face first.

Jumping attack at the creature.

[roll0]
[roll1]
EDIT: Don't forget it has -4 AC for prone!
Oh and +2 for flank if possible brings it to an effective 24.

If it stands up and provokes from me, I'll use my AoO to (probably unsuccessfully) bull rush it into the pit.

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-26, 11:01 AM
Is that counting the +18 hp from the rage?
Yeah, I'm using RAGING Maki's character sheet.
And it's got more HPs than Maki at this point...

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-26, 11:08 AM
But does Eduardo hit?
characters

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-26, 11:13 AM
The gargoyle doesn't look at all please to find Eduardo's axe lodged in it's chest. As the druid tears the blade from the wound, the gargoyle attempts to bite him. Twisting away from the stinking maw of broken fangs, Eduardo avoids a swinging claw.

Are Maki and Shud taking actions?
The Dire Wolf continues to twist and turn its head, gnawing on the zombie's neck and throat.

Misaat
2011-02-26, 11:21 AM
Maki strats to swing his blade wildly ALMOST BLINDLY AT THE CREATURE IN FRONT OF HIM!

"WHY WONT YOU JUST DIE!!"

Im using power attack grabbing the falchion with both hands so -5 to attack +10 to damage

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-26, 01:46 PM
The barbarian's first attack bounces off the creature's horn , chipping it. Unfazed, Maki slams the blade twice into the gargoyle's chest, the blade ringing as it cuts through bone and hits the floor.
With a shudder, the zombie gargoyle goes still.

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-26, 02:00 PM
The threat subdued, Pharrisia releases her hold on the corpse and reverts back to her original form...
Shudu and Eduardo notices the vampire quickly wipes away any traces of blood from her mouth, and holds her hands away from her body as she replaces her gloves.
She eyes the barbarian, exhausted and fatigued from his rage, and then looks at Eduardo, smiling.
"I don't suppose you've heard of Aesop's tale of 'The Man and The Viper'?"

Misaat
2011-02-26, 02:04 PM
Deactivating the boots of speed.

After watching the gargoyle stay still Maki drops his falchion into the ground and lifts it with all his strength throwing it straight into the pit below.

"RAAAAH"

After that he rests sitting on the floor exhausted and hurt...

Rage ended

"Hope that's the end of it..."

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-26, 02:08 PM
Each of you take 1000 XP.
Well done. You guys had less people, and defeated it much faster...

Misaat
2011-02-26, 02:10 PM
Well done. You guys had less people, and defeated it much faster...

What happened to the creature when i throwed it into the pit?

characters

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-26, 02:36 PM
Well, which one? An empty one? Or the one with the other zombie?

Misaat
2011-02-26, 02:47 PM
Well, which one? An empty one? Or the one with the other zombie?

The one with the other because...well because **** that guy

characters

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-26, 02:54 PM
The immense weight of the gargoyle's body silences the zombie dwarf as the corpse sinks on the spears, cracking and breaking them...

Samfool
2011-02-26, 03:49 PM
Shudu chuckles to himself, jumping down from the ceiling onto the floor.

"Perhaps we should do something about this zombie-gargoyle? I don't want him walking out of this pit again.."

He takes back his axe from the druid.

"Should I take the liberty of hacking off his legs?"

Could I crawl back out of the pit?
How about the gargoyle?

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-26, 03:56 PM
"It's in their pretty deep... And it's wings are broken... Even if it does reanimate again... It won't be getting out easily."

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-26, 04:10 PM
Eduardo stares back at the vampire, trying to read her demeanor. Did he detect an implied threat in her remark?

No, I've not heard the tale. Tell it to me.

sense motive [roll0]

Samfool
2011-02-26, 04:23 PM
"I have had enough of this talk. The vampire mistress is vengeful and wants to get through this tomb, same as all of us. I don't trust her any more than I trust any of you, so why continue asking these questions?" Shudu says, almost snapping at the master of death. He can see that he means every word he has just spoke, "Now lets get on with this. You can debate while we walk.."

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-26, 04:29 PM
Unconcerned with Shudu's temper tantrum, Eduardo silently watches the vampire to see what she does.

I just have a weird feeling she's about to attack us. The narration specifically mentioned Maki's fatigue, and if I'm not mistaken, in Aesop's fable, the snake and kills the man because it's in its nature. However, if she's cool, then we'll go into the tomb. For what it's worth, I also want to get into the meat of the adventure. I'm just not sure this encounter is over...

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-26, 04:40 PM
sense motive (d20+7)[15]
Eduardo senses that Pharrisia is teasing him; making a joke about their new-found "relationship"...
"A farmer picked up a viper that was half-dead from the cold. When the farmer had warmed the viper, the viper uncoiled and grabbed hold of the man's hand and with a fatal bite, he killed the man who had wanted to save him. As he was dying, the man spoke some words that are well worth remembering: 'Well, I got what I deserve for having shown kindness to a scoundrel!"
Eduardo realizes the situation they're in...
Maki, the heavy-weight is fatigued, and may not be as useful against her as he was against the gargoyle...
Leaving Shudu and Eduardo alone...
...and it would be well within her nature...
The Vampire smiles, enjoying the druid's predicament...
"Here... Your scythe?"
She holds out Pax for him to take.
"Shudu is right... You can trust me as long as you trust in vengeance-in the mean time, keep my secret and I'll ensure you unlock ALL the secrets of the Tomb!"

I just have a weird feeling she's about to attack us. The narration specifically mentioned Maki's fatigue, and if I'm not mistaken, in Aesop's fable, the snake and kills the man because it's in its nature. However, if she's cool, then we'll go into the tomb. For what it's worth, I also want to get into the meat of the adventure. I'm just not sure this encounter is over...
Good call! Take 250 XP for knowledge!

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-26, 04:48 PM
Eduardo smiles.

An apt tale, indeed. Good. Good. Let's go.

He takes his scythe, turns, and walks to the end of the entrance room where the misty arch is waiting. As he walks he draws an ivory wand from the folds of his tunic.

Barbarian, come and I'll close your wounds.

The wand pulses with a pale glow as he waves it over the deep scratches on the barbarians chest and arms. They recede and heal.

5 charges of the CLW wand.
[roll0]

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-26, 04:55 PM
The arch is filled with mist...
Within 5 feet of the entranceway, the base stones glow yellow on the left, orange on the right, and the keystone 7 feet above glows blue.
It repeats this combination.
Over and over.
Yellow. Orange. Blue.
Yellow. Orange. Blue.
Yellow. Orange. Blue.

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-26, 04:58 PM
And what do we make of this then? Vampire, you're familiar with this device. If we simply enter, following the tracks of those that came before, will we end up where they now are?

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-26, 05:03 PM
"Like I said, we Teleported in... I have no idea where this arch will take us... But WHEN we do meet them... You should introduce me as... Pharrah, your druid apprentice... It'll explain why I change into the form of a Dire Wolf... As for the arches... One arch was activated by pressing the stones... Another, all you had to do was go through it."

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-26, 05:07 PM
I'll remember that... Eduardo smiles. Though I don't consider myself a druid any longer. As far as our situation goes, since there's no apparent way of telling what will happen if we manipulate the gems, we may as well just walk through the archway now. Wherever it's set to dump us is just as good as anywhere else as long as we have no information about the end point.

Do you agree?

Samfool
2011-02-26, 05:13 PM
Shudu touches the archway lights, following the pattern from before..
Yellow. Orange. Blue.

"This means something.. I can feel it.." Shudu says, ignoring the stories and debate, trying to figure out the secrets of this archway. His eye caught the sight of the devil's mouth.

"What is that? It looks important.." he says, expressing interest, "Should we check it out?"

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-26, 05:19 PM
Once Shudu presses the stones, the mists are dispelled, and a long corridor can be seen through them... It seems to go on, impossibly forever...

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-26, 05:19 PM
Did you not search both portals before? You told me no way looked safer than the other. Yet, the ominous mouth of a devil is not a welcoming entry way. And its unnatural darkness does not ease my mind. Unless in this tomb the right move is to determine the rational approach and then do the opposite, I would say that this is not the way. Besides, Pharrah tells us the ones who came before are making their way through the tomb- and we know they used the archway.

EDIT: Oh my...

Eduardo looks down the pathway.

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-26, 05:25 PM
It's...
...trippy...
The same corridor extends on, and on, and on, beyond the archway...
Impossibly forever...
...as if one were to enter, they would fall...
...impossibly forever.

The vampire snaps Eduardo out of his revarie, agreeing with his analysis of the Tomb and the devil, "Don't be an idiot-what good can possibly come of that terrible thing!"

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-26, 05:28 PM
Save vs. illusion?

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-26, 05:32 PM
"It's not an Illusion... When you step through the Srch, you're Teleported! So no Saves necessary!"

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-26, 05:39 PM
Eduardo blinks, not sure if he heard correctly.

Very well. My offer to step through first still stands. Gentlemen...

Eduardo breathes in, then out, then in, filling his lungs with air before stepping through the arch.

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-26, 06:10 PM
The magic takes ahold of Eduardo, ushering him to another location in the Tomb... Unfortunately, for him, others have been through before him, and filled the normal arrival spot with solid mass...
Luckily for Eduardo...
It's a powerful spell, and the magic seeks out a safe place to deposit him...
Shudu, Maki and Pharrisia watch as Eduardo steps through and vanishes...
Smiling, Pharrisia grabs ahold of Maki and drags him forward, "Come on, barbarian! If I'm gonna be his apprentice; I better follow! Let's go!"
Maki and Pharrisia feel the pain of the teleporation, following Eduardo along the invisible corridors of magic...
Finally, after what seems forever...
They're dumped upon the floor of the dungeon!
Though they are wracked with the pain of the mishap, they can be glad to be alive...

Eduardo and Maki take 2d10 HPs of damage from Teleportation Mishap.
They feel a little nauseated and woozy.
[roll0] for Maki
[roll1] for Eduardo
It doesn't help that it appears that they've landed upon a pile of...
Mosquitos?
The floor of this long, wide hall is inlaid with tiles, and the walls and ceiling are painted with figures of animals and strange signs and glyphs. Humans and humanlike creatures hold painted spheres, each a different color from the next.

The Murals:
West wall, from north to south:
GOLD sphere held above head by a naga.Black sand appears to have poured through the sphere in an IMPOSSIBLE manner...
ORANGE sphere held waist high by a mummy.
PURPLE sphere held at feet by a minotaur.
BRONZE sphere held waist high by a nymph.
GRAYsphere held at shoulder by an owlbear.
BRIGHT BLUE sphere held at feet by a sahuagin.
WHITE sphere held above head by a red slaad.
TURQUOISE sphere held at shoulder by a satyr.
SCARLET sphere held waist high by a mind flayer.
PALE GREEN sphere held at feet by a medusa.

East wall, from north to south:
PALE BLUE sphere held at shoulder by a werewolf.
SILVER sphere held at feet by a four-armed gargoyle.
GREEN sphere held high above head by a half-orc.
YELLOW sphere held at shoulder by a falconheaded creature. Just a sphere.
PINK sphere held high above head by a yuan-ti.
BLACK sphere held at feet by a hydra.
PALE VIOLETTsphere held at shoulder by a kuo-toa.
RED sphere held waist high by a skeleton.
Ochre sphere held at feet by a white- bearded human wizard.
INDIGO sphere held high above head by a batwinged woman

A mist-filled stone archway lies at the end of the wide hall of colored spheres. Embedded in the arch. Each has a different hue—olive on the lower left, russet at the top of the arch, and citron on the lower right.

Furthermore, along the west walls, are the ruins of two shattered doors...

More importantly...
The room isn't empty!
There are four uncovered urns like on the floor, and where the three adventurer's have landed, there are four or so swarms of frozen blood mosquitoes...
There are littered items and equipment, amongst the bodies of a dwarf woman-a spellcaster, two human men, and an elf...
Three figures stand around the body, and a pile of items...
One is an halfling spellcaster, the other is a human bard and the other is a dwarf cleric...
The bard and cleric look wearied and battered.

From now on, Eduardo and Maki may post inside the main thread...
I'm uploading a new map...
Main Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10447289#post10447289)
Shudu stands before the empty arch still...

Samfool
2011-02-27, 11:13 AM
Contemplating his options, he figures the devil's mouth is more trouble than he could bargin for, so is being left behind while his allies are going through this magic door..
He walks forward, into the hallway, hoping he makes it through ok..

TheOasysMaster
2011-02-28, 08:19 AM
Okay, post in the main thread now...

As Shudu steps through the arch, and vanishes, the mist within the arch reforms...
In the entrance of the Tomb of Horrors, the muffled moans of the dwarf zombie are further drowned out by the clash of thunder and lightning and falling rain.