PDA

View Full Version : How to classify spells

molten_dragon
2011-02-24, 08:44 AM
For a long time I've wanted to create a prestige class that focuses on creating and casting custom spells. I've never really worked on it though, because I realized that to do so, I would need to create a much easier and more workable method of creating custom spells than the current "Make something up and talk it over with your DM" method. I've finally decided to take the plunge and start working on it. The core of the system is that you will first choose what type of spell you want to create based on its effect. Then, based on that type, there will be tables of factors that you will use to create the spell. Factors will be things like range, casting time, damage, components, etc. The factors will add (or in a few rare cases subtract) from the spell level. So once you've picked all of the factors, you add up all the level adjustments, and you get the final level of the spell.

I'm looking for a little help from the playground as I get started in how to try and organize this.

What categories would you put spells into?

What factors will I need to consider in determining the final spell level?

I've already given this some thought, and my ideas are below. What do you think?

Spell Categories
Damaging spells
Debuff spells
Buff spells
Control spells (spells that paralyze, stun, daze, terrify, or otherwise render your enemies unable to act normally)
Summoning spells
Travel spells
Save or Die

Spell Factors
Casting Time
Range
Components
Duration
Effected by spell resistance or not
How it is resisted (saving throw, targets touch AC, cannot be resisted, etc.)
Damage (type, what size die, cap)
single-target or AoE

Kurald Galain
2011-02-24, 08:59 AM
What categories would you put spells into?

Your categories are very mechanical. Myself, I would categorize spells more according to in-game function. For example, fire/earth/air/water; or illusion/creation/transportation. Each of those categories could have debuff spells, but they do work differently.

molten_dragon
2011-02-24, 09:03 AM
Your categories are very mechanical.

That's by design. For what I'm doing, I think the categories need to be mechanical.

Thanks for the help though.

gbprime
2011-02-24, 09:58 AM
When allowing players to create a new spell, i always compare it to an existing spell, figure out a level adjustment, and then have them make a Spellcraft Check. The spellcraft check determines what the final level of the spell will be. They blow the roll, the spell is a level higher than intended. Succeed wildly, the spell is a level lower.

The DC is, of course, whatever I decide it needs to be. :smallwink:

I also allow for "masterwork spells". These are spells that are much better than other spells of their level, and usually take a feat to learn. Immortal Strength of the Ages, for example... Sor/Wiz 7, Gives a +1 enhancement bonus to strength per caster level and cold iron DR equal to the caster level.

it has to be that way or else the players will take a codified system like you're designing and abuse it. if you write it all down, it can be exploited. And if you tell them "no", then they'll often react negatively, wondering why you wrote it down in the first place if they're not allowed to use it.

NichG
2011-02-24, 12:26 PM
For categories, add:

Environment manipulation (create terrain, change terrain, change weather, ambient temperature, ambient physics, ...)

Recovery (healing, raise from dead, remove status conditions)

Informational (Divinations)

Resource Creation/Modification (Weapon/armor enchanting spells, Fabricate, True Creation, etc)

Daftendirekt
2011-02-24, 12:51 PM
When allowing players to create a new spell, i always compare it to an existing spell, figure out a level adjustment, and then have them make a Spellcraft Check. The spellcraft check determines what the final level of the spell will be. They blow the roll, the spell is a level higher than intended. Succeed wildly, the spell is a level lower.

The DC is, of course, whatever I decide it needs to be. :smallwink:

I also allow for "masterwork spells". These are spells that are much better than other spells of their level, and usually take a feat to learn. Immortal Strength of the Ages, for example... Sor/Wiz 7, Gives a +1 enhancement bonus to strength per caster level and cold iron DR equal to the caster level.

it has to be that way or else the players will take a codified system like you're designing and abuse it. if you write it all down, it can be exploited. And if you tell them "no", then they'll often react negatively, wondering why you wrote it down in the first place if they're not allowed to use it.

Say, that's a pretty neat way of doing things. I think I'll copypasta this post and send it to my DM :)

Bagelz
2011-02-25, 01:32 PM
Thats a noble effort,
unfortunately the core spells were not designed that way, since they aren't balanced by level in the first place, its pretty difficult to make a dc check system (basically a point buy) for spell creation.

If you could get this balanced, you'd have a complete magic system superior to the existing one.
If/when you get it working, please post the details.