PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a Spell-less Paladin of Freedom

Merellis
2011-02-24, 09:28 AM
So after the Evil Campaign where I was a frenzying bear that invaded the plane of good, our DM was quite fed up with the ridiculousness of magic and decided that the next 400 years would be a witch hunt of casters, psions, and anyone with "Eldritch Essence" would be hunted.

So we made new characters, generally out of the PHB and Psionics, as long as they weren't full-casters or had a spell-less variant. So I wanted to play a Paladin and ended up with a Paladin of Freedom for the immunity to compulsion effects, and then went Spell-less from CW to be able to play him and still have some fun effects.

The way it started off was that we were all NPC classes that would get a free level up to Adventure Classes when our lives were no longer normal. Starting stats were as follows.

Aristocrat 1

Str: 16
Dex: 10
Con: 14
Int: 14
Wis: 10
Cha: 17

As a favor to us all, everyone had UMD as a class skill to utilize. I seemed to be the only one to take it seriously so poured every point I could into it while taking Know Religion, adding up Forgery and Bluff and then tossing in some Ride and Handle Animal.

As a house-rule, or because our DM realized that Forgery was a funny skill to counter, he ruled that Sense Motive worked against it, but I could take 20 on using it, which was hilarious as Judas the Paladin worked for the group that was hunting down the witches so he had inside knowledge of the paper-work so +8 to his checks, along with the Int bonus and full ranks.

Anyway, the first few feats I took when getting started and going to level three were Combat Expertise, Improved Disarm, and Improved Trip as I figured we would be facing more humanoids then anything, and it was working well for my decent str.

So now I'm lvl 4 with my new ability point going to Cha, and I get TU next level.

At this point I'm wondering on prestige classes I can take as a CG Spell-less pally, or if sticking to Paladin is worth it, what feats would help at this point.

And I don't think I can take Spell-casting classes, or assume on WBL for magic items. Though the Bard gets his spells strangely enough.

Oh, and things I can't use! ToB and Magic Classes for the most part, but I'm not sure on it so far.

Thanks in advance.

Deadtissue
2011-02-24, 11:16 AM
You could refluff the Shadowbane Inquisitor to make it more anti-arcane or just go with a few levels of fighter for the feats followed by Occultslayer.

Keld Denar
2011-02-24, 11:42 AM
Pal4 is the PERFECT time to get out. You get Turn Undead, which powers a bunch of useful abilities like [Divine] feats and [Devotion] feats. I'd dip one level of Lion Totem Barbarian for pounce and that righteous fury feel, and then hop into Hellreaver. Its in Fiendish Codex II, and focuses on laying the righteous smackdown on anything tainted by evil outsiders. It gives you a bunch of really nice abilities, including the ability to heal yourself and allies as a swift action and some nice boosts in combat. Its spell-less, so it fits your concept. It couples nicely with Pally of Freedom because it gives you Immunity to Fear, something you traded away for Immunity to Compuslions.

Your end result would look like Paladin4/Barbarian1/Hellreaver10/X5.'

EDIT:
Oh, I just saw the 4th level thing and the aristocrat thing....ummmm...

Ari1/Pal4/Barb1/Hellreaver10/X4?

EDIT EDIT: I assume Human? If you were half orc, there are a couple of half-orc racial sub levels in Races of Destiny that are ok, and I kinda like the nifty Outcast Champion PrC in the same book, IIRC.

Also, if its not set in stone, the spell-less Pally ACFs in Complete Champion are better than the ones from Complete Warrior. CWar gives you a bunch of SLAs, while the CChamp one gives you bonus feats. Since you are PrCing out, you'd be WAY better off with the 1 bonus feat rather than the 1 first crappy SLA.

Hazzardevil
2011-02-25, 11:05 AM
Pal4 is the PERFECT time to get out. You get Turn Undead, which powers a bunch of useful abilities like [Divine] feats and [Devotion] feats. I'd dip one level of Lion Totem Barbarian for pounce and that righteous fury feel, and then hop into Hellreaver. Its in Fiendish Codex II, and focuses on laying the righteous smackdown on anything tainted by evil outsiders. It gives you a bunch of really nice abilities, including the ability to heal yourself and allies as a swift action and some nice boosts in combat. Its spell-less, so it fits your concept. It couples nicely with Pally of Freedom because it gives you Immunity to Fear, something you traded away for Immunity to Compuslions.

Your end result would look like Paladin4/Barbarian1/Hellreaver10/X5.'

EDIT:
Oh, I just saw the 4th level thing and the aristocrat thing....ummmm...

Ari1/Pal4/Barb1/Rune-Scarred Berzerker/X4?

EDIT EDIT: I assume Human? If you were half orc, there are a couple of half-orc racial sub levels in Races of Destiny that are ok, and I kinda like the nifty Outcast Champion PrC in the same book, IIRC.

Also, if its not set in stone, the spell-less Pally ACFs in Complete Champion are better than the ones from Complete Warrior. CWar gives you a bunch of SLAs, while the CChamp one gives you bonus feats. Since you are PrCing out, you'd be WAY better off with the 1 bonus feat rather than the 1 first crappy SLA.

There, I fixed it for you, Rune scarred is awesome.