PDA

View Full Version : How are polls posted?

101jir
2011-02-24, 09:43 AM
Just curious. Do you have to be a certain rank or +?

Deth Muncher
2011-02-24, 09:49 AM

You have to ask a mod to insert one into a thread. They generally don't nowadays, though.

Killer Angel
2011-02-24, 10:12 AM
For your convenience (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8895304&postcount=2). :smallsmile:

Rockphed
2011-02-24, 12:51 PM
You have to ask a mod to insert one into a thread. They generally don't nowadays, though.

I think it is less that they don't, but rather that they take some convincing.

Thus, if you want a poll for a project so that the community can respond in a meaningful way and provide input, then the mods will probably set one up. On the other hand, aside from the occasional joke that Rawhide engages the community in, polls for less serious things are likely to not show up. I'm pretty sure that frivolous polls, rather than any drain on bandwidth, were the driving force behind the removal of poll creation from the general membership. They were kinda taking over friendly banter when I joined the forums.

Mystic Muse
2011-02-24, 02:09 PM

Ranks don't affect anything on the forum, they just correspond to a certain number of posts. We also aren't supposed to discuss them, just so you know in the future.

Polls have been disabled for members for reasons I'm not sure of, but I'd assume because of the huge amount of posters we have here, and while it's not quite as easy, you can still get a voting thread together and count up the votes yourself.

grimbold
2011-02-25, 08:20 AM
Ranks don't affect anything on the forum, they just correspond to a certain number of posts. We also aren't supposed to discuss them, just so you know in the future.

Polls have been disabled for members for reasons I'm not sure of, but I'd assume because of the huge amount of posters we have here, and while it's not quite as easy, you can still get a voting thread together and count up the votes yourself.

in my experience in the playground this is correct
also i think that polls take up more server space than normal threads so it might just be to save space