PDA

View Full Version : [Legend] The Raid

Claudius Maximus
2011-02-24, 01:44 PM
The town market is familiar to all of you. During the spring, when the gnome airship brings the villagers huge loads of merchandise and leaves with most of the year’s gold, banners fly and songs play more or less all day, every day. Even today, when the air is still cold and the airship is not expected for another week, you anticipate noisy activity and wagons of arriving gold. Oddly, there is an unusual amount of dark smoke rising from the marketplace.

As you approach the open-air market, you see that most of the stalls have been burned, and you can smell burned flesh in the smoke. Occasional cries tell you that there were at least some survivors, but it looks like everyone who could walk has left already.

Cieyrin
2011-02-24, 02:26 PM
Mako
Mako not to blame! Mako been at bakery all day, making orcbuns! Looking around furtively, Mako hustles fearlessly forward, heedless of the flames and looking for survivors caught in burning debris. One can faintly hear mutters of Not Mako's fault...Mako good Orc...

Gralamin
2011-02-24, 03:58 PM
Idra

Idra looks around and listens closely (Perception 20 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10440821&postcount=6)). She nods her head and saids, "No one said it was you, orcbrain."

Squally!
2011-02-24, 04:02 PM
Akasha
Laughing, Akasha surveys the surroundings. "Yes, I'm not sure a single orcblood could have even caused this."

Greenish
2011-02-24, 05:38 PM
Jerry

Jerry hones in to the cries of the survivors, and finding them, attempts to heal them.

(Need I roll perception or something?)

Claudius Maximus
2011-02-24, 06:02 PM
As you all enter the marketplace, you find that the scene is just as grim as it appeared from a distance. There are bodies of humans and halflings scattered about here and there, most of which don't seem to be moving, and the storefronts are burnt and looted.

As Idra, Mako and Jerry make their way through the bodies, it is clear that most are dead, the primary causes of death being claw wounds, arrows, and occasional severe burns. Idra's attentiveness pays off when she notices that two of the victims are still alive, although very critically wounded.

Furthermore, among the debris and immobile victims, you see three conscious survivors: a human woman who seems to be praying or incanting over the body of one of the fallen humans, a peg-legged halfling lying against a storefront, an arrow embedded in his thigh, unleashing a blistering series of curses on "scaly bandits," and, near the edge of the market square, a writhing and injured reptilian humanoid trying very slowly and painfully to drag itself away from the scene.

Gralamin
2011-02-24, 06:14 PM
Idra

Idra points out the two wounded victims, "Get them out, let Jerry take a look at them." She then heads toward the reptilian humanoid, attempting to cut it off, and taking out her bow, "Why don't we have a chat?"

Cieyrin
2011-02-24, 06:22 PM
Mako

Breathing a sigh of relief that he's not to blame for once, Mako heads over to the squating halfling and examines the arrow. Pulling out a piece of leather from his belt pouch, he shoves it into the surprised halfling's mouth. You'll do okay, little fella. Let Mako get it out right quick. With that, Mako gets a firm grip on the arrow and attempts to shove it all the way through.

Medicine check [roll0]

Squally!
2011-02-24, 07:15 PM
Akasha

Following Idra, Akasha tries to come up behind the reptilian, letting Idra block off its path of escape.
Yes, I think some explaining is in order.
Squatting down near the Humanoid, Axe in hand.

Greenish
2011-02-24, 07:50 PM
Jerry

Jerry moves first to the two critically wounded victims, healing them.

He then walks over to the human woman: "Situation?"

Know: Arcane on what the woman is doing: [roll0]

Heal checks (if needed, using the positive incantation mostly):
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

[Edit: working rolls here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10442451&postcount=1000).

Claudius Maximus
2011-02-24, 08:42 PM
Mako:
As Mako approaches the wounded halfling, he recognizes him as a local, a minor functionary in charge of greeting gnomes and convincing them to sell low. Known as Two-Toes on account of missing a leg and several toes, he barely stops for breath as Mako approaches him.

"Stupid lousy goddamn rotten fu- ff-mm-mmmff-MM-FNMM?!?"

The arrow comes out quite cleanly, and judging by the head, Mako chose to push in the right direction. Mako recognizes that Two-Toes is in a state of medical shock, but after a bit of further treatment he seems much more lucid.

"Thanks, guy." he says, still a little out of breath.

"Those lizardfolk are some real sonsabitches you know, but the worst was the dragon. Yeah, you heard right. Swooped in shootin' goddamn lightning bolts out of its face, burnt up my ma's shop real bad."

He points to a store that is in fact burnt up real bad.

"Tell ya what, you promise to blow that thing to hell, and I'll help you out. My ma's got this belt in the back, won it from some gnomish ornithopter pilot in a poker match back in the day. The thing will protect you from lightning, and if it can keep you from getting fried, you can keep it if you just kill that godawful dragon."
Jerry:
Jerry is able to stabilize the two critically injured humans. Between his magic and other treatments they'll be much better off, but they're so jacked up that they still won't be able to wake up for some time.

As he approaches the woman he recognizes her as a local witch known as Mirana. She seems occupied with some kind of ritual with a sprig of nightshade, but Jerry is rather unsure if there's any actual magic happening. She has some ugly burns under her clothing, but a few positive incantations would be enough to make them much less severe.

As Jerry addresses her she turns from her little ritual and gives a mournful, tired look:

"This one has passed. I think they all have, save but for the two you just tended."

She speaks a short prayer in a language you don't recognize, and touches the sprig of nightshade to the young man's forehead. This seems to complete the ritual somehow, though you see no visible effects. Her task complete, she turns to address you again:

"The raiders came from the north, a force of lizardmen led by a young blue dragon. Some of us tried to fight them, but we just couldn't stop them from ravaging the marketplace. I... think I'm the only one who survived resisting them..."
Akasha and Idra:
As you approach the lizardman it is clear that he's suffering from a horribly dislocated shoulder. He’s probably also suffering from the various scratches and lumps on his head and chest, but the shoulder’s the worst of it.

As you come closer, he waves a spear in your general direction with his one good arm.

“I am Gormashk. Approach no further.”

He seems reluctant to move much though, and you're still able to surround him.

Gralamin
2011-02-24, 09:12 PM
Idra

"The wounded warrior runs from the healers. I get the feeling you don't belong here, Gormashk."

Squally!
2011-02-24, 10:00 PM
Akasha
"In fact, from what was said, it seems you might be one of the 'scaly bandits' that woman was mumbling about. I think an explanation is in order lizard."

Claudius Maximus
2011-02-25, 12:02 AM
Akasha and Idra:
Gormashk hisses loudly and expands his brightly colored frill.

"I am Gormashk. No explanations. Out of the way."

Cieyrin
2011-02-25, 12:46 AM
Mako
Dragon you want killed for belt? Mako can show Mako good Orc. Mako do this. Where belt? Helping the Halfling to his feet (well, foot and pegleg), a gleeful, almost maniacal smile crosses Mako's face, drool coming out the side of the his tusked mouth.

Gralamin
2011-02-25, 01:06 AM
Idra

"Oh, you think you can take on the two of us alone?", Idra attempts to look tough and threatening, despite her small size.

(Looks like Akasha actually has an intimidate mod, so hopefully he will intimidate, and I will assist him. [roll0])

Squally!
2011-02-25, 03:28 AM
Akasha
"Ha! do you think you scare either of us? Those cuts and bruises are nothing compared to what I'm about to do to you!" Intimidate: [roll0]

Greenish
2011-02-25, 06:17 AM
Jerry

I see. It is a blessing there are any survivors at all. Can you tend to the other survivors?

Then, if Mirana does not object, Jerry joins Idra and Akasha (who I assume are still "chatting" with the lizardman).

Claudius Maximus
2011-02-25, 09:34 AM
Mako:
Two-Toes limps along, directing you into the shop. Under the counter you find a strange belt made of fine metal mesh, with a web of straps that cross over the chest and back and carry useful pockets. Metal strips run down the wearer’s legs and connect to boots.

"Goofy, I know, but that's gnome fashion for ya. All goggles and pockets and straps. My ma' swore that it works though. Use it well."
Idra, Akasha, and Jerry:
Leaving Mirana to tend to the departed, Jerry comes upon a hissing, injured lizardfolk cornered by Idra and Akasha.

Gormashk seems thoroughly cowed by the uneven matchup, as it's clear that he probably couldn't take even one of you. His eyes dart back and forth as he considers various harebrained escapes, but it's clear he has nowhere to go. A little whine escapes his throat as he realizes this.

Squally!
2011-02-25, 11:58 AM
Akasha
"Why are you here? What happened?" She snaps at him.

Greenish
2011-02-25, 12:03 PM
Jerry

(Squally! and Gralamin may open.)Looking distraught, the halfling meets his companions and gives a curt report: The lizardfolk raid was led by a young blue dragon. Very few survivors.

Looking at the injured lizardman. If you are quite done with him, I'll tend to his wounds. We will not stoop to their level. The last part seems to be to convince himself as much as the others.

Claudius Maximus
2011-02-25, 12:08 PM
Idra, Akasha, and Jerry:
Gormashk looks a little panicked and distressed:

"AAHHH! My brothers left me behind! And the Master too!"

As Jerry approaches Gormashk begins to hiss and brandish the spear more vigorously again, coming awful close to actually poking him with it.

"Let me go! Weak mammals!"

Cieyrin
2011-02-25, 01:06 PM
Mako

Ooo! Gnomes have good style! Mako likes! Immediately strapping on the belt and adjusting straps and rearranging his gear, Mako finishes up and strikes a pose. No worries, little fella. Mako will make dragon burn good and dead. Let Mako get together with his other fellas and we go make this right!

With a whoop, Mako bolts back out the shop with a flip out the door and makes to rejoin with the rest of the merry band.

Squally!
2011-02-25, 01:11 PM
Akasha

"Their level or not, I dont think we should let this one live after what was done here."

Seeing Gormashk attempt to stab Jerry, Akasha tries to disarm the lizardman.
Disarm: [roll]1d20+5[roll]
Damage:(if it hits) [roll0]

Squally!
2011-02-25, 01:13 PM
Akasha
Typo roll here - Roll (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10447023&postcount=21)

Gralamin
2011-02-25, 01:32 PM
Idra

"They left him huh? I wonder if he knows where they stay then. They betrayed him, so what reason does he have to protect them? And I do need a new trophy..."

Claudius Maximus
2011-02-25, 01:32 PM
Mako obtained the Grounding Belt!

Da da da daaaaaaa~!

This item, originally designed to facilitate drunken dares among airship crews, has since proven itself indispensable for protection against electricity. It is now standard issue for elite ornithopter pilots, lightning rail crews, and shocker lizard breeders. Though of course you don't know any of that.

The wearer of this item reduces all incoming electricial damage by three points. Wow!

Mako approaches the scene just in time to see Akasha straight murder a spear-wielding reptilian humanoid. It seems he did not survive having his arm chopped off at the collarbone. Gormashk dies with a raspy gurgling sound as he crumples to the ground.

Gralamin
2011-02-25, 01:35 PM
Idra
Idra glances at the body, "Oh, well, I guess that answers that. Can we still go kill the Dragon?"

Squally!
2011-02-25, 01:50 PM
Akasha

Smiling slightly, she quietly mumbles to herself "One..." Then, looking back at Idra "I was hoping we could!"

Cieyrin
2011-02-25, 02:49 PM
Mako

Glancing down at the mess, Mako tilts his head to the side and makes a confused growl. Aww, Mako miss all the fun! You must tell Mako when fun happens.

Straightening up and a smile coming across his face, Mako grabs his new elastic suspenders and snaps them. Check out Mako's new belt! Little fella gave 'em to me! Just gotta burn some dragon! Let's go get 'em! :smallbiggrin:

Squally!
2011-02-25, 03:08 PM
Akasha

Scratching her head, she looks confused at Mako, "I am not sure I want to know how you fit into a little persons belt, Mako."

She begins to wipe the blood off her Axe, preparing to move out after this Dragon.

Cieyrin
2011-02-25, 03:44 PM
Mako

Mako looks down and then back up at Akasha. Mako not know but Mako thinks it has to do with these straps. They adjust! Mako flexes the suspenders again and snaps 'em again. Ouch! Mako should stop doing that.

Claudius Maximus
2011-02-25, 06:01 PM
All of you looking down at the rumpled corpse of the lizardfolk notice a rather large sack and harness on his back. It is still open, and you can see a large variety of goods haphazardly arranged in it, including a (now-broken) fine vase and a cantaloupe. You certainly can't see everything in it though.

He also has a longbow sized for a medium creature, and plenty of wicked arrows to go with it.

Gralamin
2011-02-25, 08:33 PM
Idra
Idra takes a good look at the arrows, checking the quality and worksmanship. "Anything good in his bag?"

Cieyrin
2011-02-25, 08:58 PM
Mako

Mako look! Mako starts rooting through the bag, chucking fruit and other random debris.

Perception check [roll0]

Claudius Maximus
2011-02-25, 10:50 PM
Going through the bag you find some random nick-knacks from among the stalls, ranging from food to toys to tools. You also find a decent amount of gold and jewelery, by far the best part of his haul. You figure they're worth about 150 gp all told.

As Mako turns the sack inside out, a sheet of crusty parchment falls out. To your shock, it details a most nefarious plan:
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/7849/lizardplan.png

Gralamin
2011-02-25, 11:22 PM
Idra
"A clever plan. I can feel myself swooning already." Idra clenches her hands and brings them up near her face, and starts twitching her Eyelashes. She then stops the act and continues, "More importantly, Looks like we have a destination."

Squally!
2011-02-26, 11:50 AM
Akasha

"Well, what are we doing standing around here then?" She slings her axe up on her shoulder, ready to move out.

"Also, what are we going to do with that haul of gold?"

Greenish
2011-02-26, 04:44 PM
Jerry

Jerry frowns at the disarmed corpse, then shrugs his shoulders. Guess he deserved that.

As for the gold, it is not ours. Jerry lets his eyes wander over the destroyed market. Something tells me there are widows and orphans who'll need it.

That, however, has to wait. Jerry looks grim. We have dragons to hunt.

Gralamin
2011-02-27, 12:14 AM
Idra

Idra shrugs, and starts heading off to the Meeting Point, "I will leave you guys behind."

Cieyrin
2011-02-27, 12:30 AM
Mako

Mako scrunches his face at the map, a plainly confused look on his face. So...we fellas going to the 'Rondayvoo'? Dragon thing be there? Still pondering the map, Mako slowly follows after Idra, the spoils clearly on the backburner.

Squally!
2011-02-27, 02:45 AM
Akasha

Looking back longingly at the spoils, she begins to follow the others.

Greenish
2011-02-27, 03:58 AM
Jerry

Wordlessly, Jerry joins the rest.

Claudius Maximus
2011-02-27, 02:20 PM
Making for the rendezvous point at the crossroads, you leave the marketplace behind, leaving the mystic Mirana to care for the fallen.

The trip is relatively short, and uneventful. The fertile farmlands give way to dusty sand dunes, land eroded from years of overly hasty gold farming. The people of the Valley of Spines have since learned to avoid this effect, but the land of early digs like this could remain ruined for decades. You encounter nobody else on your journey.

You approach the crossroads cautiously. The land and its dunes offer many hiding spots, after all, and there is no shortage of them here. In fact, the crossroads are flanked by particularly high dunes, built up over poorly-conceived retaining walls designed to keep the roads from being buried.

Suddenly, the three lizardfolk burst up from atop the highest dunes, having apparently buried themselves in ambush. Idra and Jerry are able to spot this quickly enough to react, but Akasha and Mako are left unawares for a critical moment.

Roll Initiative, and place yourselves on this map (http://www.editgrid.com/user/figmieser/Crossroads), at any point at or below row 18 (but realistically, probably on the road).

Map Key:
Dark brown spaces are the road. There are no special modifiers for these spaces.

White spaces are level ground, whether at ground level, or atop a dune (the spaces the lizardfolk start in represent the latter, for example). The ground in these spaces is sandy and soft, but not enough to cause any special penalty.

Light brown/tan spaces represent the banks of dunes, or other especially sandy areas. These spaces are rough terrain and cost double to navigate. Direction of travel does not affect this.

You guys should be able to edit this map. You can use a little avatar (25x25) or write a letter representing you in the space, or anything else as long as it's clear who I'm looking at. It's up to you to move around on your turn, but please announce the movement here as well, both starting and ending spaces.

Lizarditiative (Observers Only):
[roll0]

This is a surprise round, so only Idra and Jerry get to act. Note that a Legend surprise round provides a full round of actions.

Gralamin
2011-02-27, 02:28 PM
Idra
Combat details
Placed Idra at O21.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Idra takes out her bow, Deadly Aims for 1 (-1 to hit, +1 dmg) and shoots at the lizard at H10.

Greenish
2011-02-27, 03:44 PM
Jerry

Position: Q22
Initiative [roll0]

Jerry uses Sanctuary on himself. DC 13 will save to attack, roll each time trying, fail once and you can't touch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck_VvBW-As0). Duration: encounter.

HP: 16
AC: 14Heads up. We've company.

Greenish
2011-02-27, 03:45 PM
Jerry

End turn.

Claudius Maximus
2011-02-27, 03:55 PM
In her haste, Idra shoots low, and the arrow sticks into the sand dune two feet under the lizardfolk's feet. Angry, he fires back at her, using the dune as cover:

[roll0]
[roll1]
The other two fire at the closest target, whoever that may end up being. They too are taking cover.

[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
(This concludes the surprise round. Akasha and Mako can roll initiative and everyone can act now.)

Greenish
2011-02-27, 04:04 PM
Jerry

Anyone hurt? There's a sharp pitch in the healers normally quiet voice.

If anyone's been hit, healing them. Otherwise readying an action to do so as necessary.

Init 18 from the surprise round stands(?).

Healing Incantation: [roll0] (as per errata (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10436822&postcount=163)).

Squally!
2011-02-27, 04:57 PM
Akasha

Initiative: Init: [roll0]

Once able to respond to the threat, Akasha will move up her full speed (30 feet), drawing one of her Throwing Axes and hurling it at the nearest Lizard.

Attack:
Throwing Axe:
Range: 30 ft
To-Hit: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Squally!
2011-02-27, 05:00 PM
Akasha
Movement: Start at P 19, Move to P 13

Gralamin
2011-02-27, 05:39 PM
Idra
Idra scoots across the dunes, taking cover as she attempts to get a better shot.

Idra moves to M18 for O21. Idra attacks while taking cover for +1 to AC, -1 to hit. Attacking the same lizard.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Cieyrin
2011-02-28, 11:41 AM
Mako
Starting position: Q19
Initiative: [roll0]

Crossbow Range: 110'
Crossbow Attack: [roll1]
Crossbow Damage: [roll2]

AC 14
HP 18GRAAAAA! Eat pointy stick, Scaley!

After the initial shock of the sudden attack ends, Mako draws his crossbow and rushes forward, drops to a knee and makes a potshot at Lizard #1.Moving: Q19 to N14

Claudius Maximus
2011-02-28, 12:58 PM
Akasha takes two arrows, nearly fainting from the pain, but Jerry's incantation puts her back in the game. Running forward, she avenges herself on her attacker, sinking a throwing axe into his thigh.

Idra fires from behind a dune, but once again the shot goes low.

Mako's crossbow bolt goes wide, missing the lizardfolk, who makes a loud hiss in response.

~~~

The lizardfolk whom Akasha attacked pulls the throwing axe out of his leg with a grunt, and retaliates with an arrow he spends a particularly long time aiming (Deadly Aim):

[roll0]
[roll1]
It sinks into her flank, a third shaft protruding from her body, but she continues to soldier on.

Another one, a large specimen with a spiked crest on his head, yells to his allies:

"Fools! Kill the shaman, or they'll never stay down!"

He nocks an arrow at Jerry, but hesitates for a second. However, he manages to shake himself out of it, and fires (Deadly Aim):

[roll2]
[roll3]
His companion follows suit, he too managing to overcome the Sanctuary effect:

[roll4]
[roll5]
Jerry manages to dive out of the way of both arrows.

Greenish
2011-02-28, 01:11 PM
Jerry

Got you covered! The shaman cheers Akasha on.
Move to P17.

Positive Incantation on Akasha for [roll0]

End turn.

Cieyrin
2011-02-28, 02:40 PM
Mako

With a growl, Mako hustles closer to his target, quickly drawing a bolt, ripping the receiver into position, loading the bolt and taking another shot!
Moving: N14 to H14

Crossbow Attack: [roll0]
Crossbow Damage: [roll1]

Gralamin
2011-02-28, 05:35 PM
Idra
Idra looks shocked at the development, quickly pulling and firing another arrow with a yell of, "Why you scaly bastards. How dare you ignore me!"

Idra stays still, and shoots at the same lizard.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Squally!
2011-02-28, 07:39 PM
Akasha

Furious at the attacks of the lizardmen, Akasha enters a Rage! She then charges the nearest lizardman.
Charge: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

imperialspectre
2011-02-28, 08:57 PM
Squally!:

You do recall that charging gives a +2 to hit, right? It didn't look like you accounted for it. Just being helpful. :smallwink:

Squally!
2011-02-28, 11:59 PM
Squally!:

You do recall that charging gives a +2 to hit, right? It didn't look like you accounted for it. Just being helpful. :smallwink:

herp derp, i missed that entirely.

Squally!
2011-03-01, 12:02 AM
Akasha
check:
[roll0]

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-01, 12:46 AM
Idra sinks an arrow right into the crested lizard's right shoulder. As he recoils from the hit, Mako is able to shoot him in his exposed left torso, and he falls with a gurgle.

Akasha, newly revitalized by Jerry's incantation, makes a mad leaping charge at the lizard she had previously wounded. However, the sand gives out under her at a critical moment, and she comes up short on the swing.

The remaining lizardfolk seem very distressed at their comrade's fall, and having given each other a short but meaningful look, they begin to retreat.

The wounded lizard (L2) attempts to safely extract himself from Akasha's whirlpool of axey death. He's not quite smooth enough however, and Akasha is able to get a swing in at him (AoO).

If he survives that:
He runs to U5, seeming to have little difficulty with the soft sand. From there he fires an arrow at Akasha, whom he greatly fears.

[roll0]
[roll1]

The arrow goes flying into the distance.

The last remaining lizard runs quite a bit more enthusiastically, skuttling along the sand at great speed, whipping his legs back and forth in circles.
Move from T10 aaaall the way to T -8.

After Akasha's AoO, it will be Idra's action again.

Squally!
2011-03-01, 12:57 AM
Akasha
AoO
Attack: [roll0]

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-01, 12:58 AM
Akasha cuts the lizard down as soon as he turns to run, sinking her axe deep into his back.

Gralamin
2011-03-01, 12:59 AM
Idra

Idra will start chasing after the runner, shooting her bow as she goes, "Where do you think you are going?"

So heres the deal: I can move 4 squares a turn. He is probably moving at 12. I seem to have a range of 440 feet, which means I can keep attacking him while he is within 88 squares of me. Which means I get quite a few attacks as he keeps running, unless others convince me to stop.

Attack for the first round at least.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Squally!
2011-03-01, 11:34 AM
Akasha
Once its her turn to act...

Akasha will attempt to disarm the lizard in front of her.
damage: [roll1]

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-01, 12:06 PM
It's unconscious and down. You'd basically be executing it (not that you can't do that - I'm just figuring you might think it's still a threat if you're trying to disarm it). The only lizard who's still up is the one running.

Squally!
2011-03-01, 12:52 PM
Missed he was unc.

Akasha

She holds ready, unable to quickly give chase to the fleeing lizard from her current position.

Cieyrin
2011-03-01, 01:20 PM
Mako

Just one more Scaley to go!
Mako hustles over to see the fleeing lizardman, quickly reloads and, noting the distance, tries to aim just above his target to arc the shot into its back.
Moving: H14 to N13.
Making a longer range attack with Mako's crossbow (Atk -4)
Crossbow Attack: [roll0]
Crossbow Damage: [roll1]

Greenish
2011-03-01, 02:31 PM
Jerry

Jerry moves next to Akasha and heals her with a short incantation.
Healing [roll0]
I suppose you'll want to execute this one too. Jerry sounds resigned. Then we could find some babies for you to roast.

Squally!
2011-03-01, 03:37 PM
Akasha

"Ah, If he is dead, how will we find more to kill?" She laughs and slaps Jerry hard on the back.

Gralamin
2011-03-01, 05:19 PM
Idra
Idra keeps firing at the fleeing one

Next two rounds of arrows:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Greenish
2011-03-01, 07:35 PM
Jerry

Jerry staggers from Akasha's "pat" and rolls his eyes. Right, torture, shouldn't have forgotten.

Of course, we could just follow the spry one, but that wouldn't be half as fun.

Cieyrin
2011-03-01, 08:17 PM
Mako

Mako, seeing his bolt go sailing without any meaningful damage, puts his crossbow away and rejoins the others. Hmm, Mako thinks little fella has a point. Scaley may lead us to the bigger scaley. Let's track 'em down!

Greenish
2011-03-02, 02:16 PM
Jerry

Well, after him then! I don't want to let the dragon know we're coming 'till were there!

With that, Jerry dashes after Idra and the fleeing lizardman.

Squally!
2011-03-02, 03:04 PM
Akasha
She sighs, then executes the lizardmen once the others start moving, running after them once the deed is done.

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-02, 10:59 PM
You all chase the fleeing lizard, Idra managing to stick an arrow into him as he flees. You lose sight of him through the dunes relatively quickly, and after a short while you even lose his tracks. Mako is able to find them again eventually, however, and you are soon on his trail once more.

After a traveling straight north for a few miles out of the barren dunes, the lizard eventually turned northwest, crossing the main road surreptitiously by passing under a bridge. Here Mako finds many other lizardfolk tracks, but they are all much older. Apparently this is a favored route.

Following further behind Mako you eventually come to a large hill with set of old mole caves. Strewn here and there are the remains of the valley's famous giant moles, some charred to a crisp, others clearly killed with arrows. Many have been at least partially eaten, with some being little more than piles of gnawed and blackened bones.

While there are many caves in the hill, only one is really large enough to house anything that would deserve the name "dragon." You can see a large number of footprints going into and out of this entrance, including the set you were following. The cave is too dark to see more than 10 feet into, and Mako is too far away for his darkvision to change this.

Suddenly, an arrow flies from somewhere in the hills ahead.
No rolls yet. We need to determine marching order and placement first, sine these may or may not have an influence on the arrow's target. Suffice to say you just got ambushed though.

The map is here (http://www.editgrid.com/user/figmieser/Dragoncave). The map is topographical, the white spaces being ground level and the green spaces representing higher altitudes, with each shade denoting an increase of 5 feet. Having spoken with Doc Roc on the subject, none of these spaces are difficult terrain. You can run up the hills just fine. The black border are the edge of the map as-is. If it's important we can go beyond them indefinitely - it's not an invisible wall. That said try to keep it in unless it's important enough to make me do extra work (though I'm not letting my laziness hurt the test by forcing you to not retreat or something).

In any case, please place your PC in the designated starting area. Your layout should be the same position you would be in during your march here, since this is a surprise attack.

Idra:
You managed to see the archer by quickly tracking the arrow's origin. It's the lizard who fled earlier! You saw him in E6 on the map, but after firing he seems to have moved down the side of the hill, out of your line of sight.
Jerry:
You managed to see the archer by quickly tracking the arrow's origin. It's the lizard who fled earlier! You saw him in E6 on the map, but after firing he seems to have moved down the side of the hill, out of your line of sight.

Cieyrin
2011-03-02, 11:19 PM
Mako

Starting position AN12
Initiative: [roll0]

Greenish
2011-03-03, 09:18 AM
Jerry

It's the bastard we've been following. He's firing from behind that hill. Jerry points to the east. He ponders for a moment. If the dragon were in that cave, why didn't he dive straight in for help?

Position AP-10.
Initiative (if necessary) [roll0]
On turn, readying an action to heal anyone who gets wounded.

Squally!
2011-03-03, 02:52 PM
Akasha

Init: [roll0]

Not sure if she is in range with her throwing axes, but if so she will throw one at the lizardman, if not she will hold her ground and be ready to attack anyone who comes out.

Throw: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
30ft range.

Gralamin
2011-03-03, 07:36 PM
Idra

Idra glares at the top of the hill, responding to Jerry's question with, "What does it matter? We'll kill them all, anyway."

[roll0]

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-03, 08:12 PM
It's Idra who is the target of the lizard's arrow. Looks like he's attempting to pay her back for the arrow she hit him with during his escape.
This is a Deadly Aim attack against Idra's flat-footed AC.
[roll0]
[roll1]
The arrow misses, having been fired with too much haste.

Jerry is the first to react, but finds that nobody has been hurt. He remains ready. Idra is up next.

DM and Observers Only:
Lizardfolk fires, then moves from E6 to D10.

Dragon readies a charge against anyone who comes within 40 ft. of him. He is in N10 at "ground" level (in the cave). When he realizes that he still sort of has the jump on everyone, he simply delays.

Turn order is:
Dragon
Jerry
Idra
Akasha
Lizard
Mako

Gralamin
2011-03-03, 09:43 PM
Idra
Idra draws her bow and moves forward, yelling to the group: "Are we chasing him, or going after the dragon? Which is it?"

Moved 4 squares forward, to AL8

Greenish
2011-03-03, 10:46 PM
Jerry

Why, do you know where the dragon is? Jerry's worried eyes scan the skies. Not that it matters, we should head for the cave, where they can't use their numbers, and the dragon can't fly.

Cieyrin
2011-03-03, 11:29 PM
Mako

Mako hopes Scaley likes pointy sticks! Drawing his crossbow, Mako rushes toward the hill, setting a bolt into the receiver and readying to fire.
Moving: AN12 to AH12
Move action to draw crossbow.

Squally!
2011-03-04, 03:20 AM
Akasha

"Then lets get moving!"

Double move to AB9 from AN9

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-04, 09:29 AM
Suddenly, you hear a dreadful roar, and a blue hulk emerges from the darkness of the cave.

"You dare oppose the mighty Anathrix? Die, puny mammals!"

Thus he bellows, charging Akasha:
[roll0]
[roll1]
He sinks his wicked talons into her flesh, tearing away viciously.

Very shortly afterward the lizardfolk, perhaps prompted by his master's loud attack, emerges from hiding with his bow. He runs low to the ground attempting to catch his target unawares. At first it seems clear he wants to attack, Idra, but seeing his master in combat, he fires at Akasha instead:
[roll2]
[roll3]

The lizard emerges at D11, having come there from the north, and ends up in D13. I'd have him roll Stealth for sniping but it's rather unclear how that works. Thus I'm simply going to have him roll Acrobatics to surprise Akasha:

[roll4]
The attack catches Akasha unawares, and the arrow sticks in her left shoulder. She is now having some difficulty standing.

DM/OO Stuff:
Anathrix moves from N10 to AA9, and uses Power Attack and Reckless Stike during his charge, tanking his AC. I'm interpreting Reckless Strike to allow him to move with it provided he's going to make a charge

The lizard starts in D10, and ends up in D13.
We then move to Mako, who concocts, and now Jerry.

Greenish
2011-03-04, 10:58 AM
Jerry

Hold on there!

Move to AJ11.
Cast Sanctuary on myself.
End turn.

Cieyrin
2011-03-04, 01:43 PM
Mako

Gah! Big scaley! Mako make big scaley burn! BURN!! Dropping his crossbow, Mako draws a bottle and some noxious ingredients. He mixes them together as he rushes forward toward the fray, the concoction smoking furiously.
Moving: AH12 to AB11
Move action to mix up a firebomb

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-04, 03:25 PM
In case this causes any confusion, I'll note that it is now Idra's turn, then Akasha's.

Gralamin
2011-03-04, 05:15 PM
Idra
Idra smiles as she see's the dragon. "There is my prey!" She then proceeds to aim directly at it's throat.
Idra moves to AH9, and fire at the dragon, With Deadly Aim (-1 hit, + 1 dmg). +1 to hit from Favored Enemy.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Swift, I will follow up with an arcana check to see what I know of it's abilities. I have 2 + 1 (Favored enemies)
[roll2]

Squally!
2011-03-04, 06:39 PM
Akasha

"Oh, this is much different in person now!"
She swings her axe at the dragon, hoping for the best.

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-04, 07:32 PM
Idra:
A Blue Dragon! One of the often-evil Chromatic Dragons, children of Tiamat. Blue Dragons are resistant to electric attacks and have a deadly electrical breath weapon. They are also known to live underground, burrowing through the soil to create subterranean lairs in which to hide their hoards.

The arrow and the axes all find their mark, as the dragon has left itself very open in its charge. The wounds are deep and bloody, but the Anathrix does not seem to slow down in the slightest.

"Weaklings! I'll tear you to peices!"

Roaring loudly, he tears at Akasha viciously:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
Anathrix shreds Akasha's torso, leaving her on the ground, bloody and at the brink of death.

He immediately takes to wing, landing right between Idra and Jerry.

"Who's next?"

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-04, 07:47 PM
"Kill them master! Kill them all!" shouts the lizard, cheering on his master.

Having drawn attention to himself, he retreats behind the cover of the hilltop, emerging again suddenly on the other side. Finally feeling confident, he aims his bow at his hated enemy, Idra:
Move from D13 to E8.
[roll0] If it exceeds 15, Idra is flat-footed.
[roll1]
[roll2]
The arrow goes very wide indeed, not even threatening to hit Idra. You think you hear a distant curse.

Cieyrin
2011-03-04, 07:59 PM
Mako

You make Mako mad! Burn, Scaley, Burn! BURN! BURRRRNNNN! Mako rushes back towards the dragon's back and throws his firebomb!
Moving: AB11 to AF11
Firebomb Attack: [roll0]
Firebomb Damage: [roll1]

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-04, 08:04 PM
Anathrix howls in pain and fury as he attempts to shake the incendiary material off.
[roll0]
Flapping his wings and rolling a little in the dirt, he extinguishes the flames.

Greenish
2011-03-04, 08:36 PM
Jerry

With grim determination, Jerry moves to Akasha to patch her up up.
Move to AE-11. (I assume I can move through allies' squares like in standard 3.5.)
Acrobatics to avoid AoO [roll0] vs. 10 + BAB + dex. Will save DC 13 to claim the attack.
Healing Akasha for [roll1]

End turn.

Gralamin
2011-03-04, 11:33 PM
Idra
Idra drops the bow, taking out her two swords, trying desperately to stab at the dragon. While doing so she yells to her teammates, "He's a blue! Watch out for electricity!"

Assuming free to drop bow, move to draw swords. Attacking the Dragon, power attacking (-1 to hit, +2 damage), and I still have favored enemy (+1 to hit)

[roll0]
[roll1]

(Checked with DocRoc to confirm. No secondary attack when using the matched shortswords).

Greenish
2011-03-04, 11:48 PM
Jerry

Jerry looks puzzled. How, exactly, are we supposed to watch for it?

Squally!
2011-03-06, 12:10 PM
Akasha

She takes one of her two remaining throwing axes and throws it at the backside of the dragon.

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-06, 01:24 PM
The dragon lets out a loud screech at the blow, and turns to lunge at Akasha. However, he collapses before getting very far, curled up and bleeding on the ground.

"Master oh nooooooo" cries the lizard, clearly very distressed at this turn of events. He fires at Akasha, hoping to avenge his master:
[roll0]
[roll1]
In his distress, he doesn't really spend enough time actually aiming the bow, and the arrow misses widely.

He then disappears behind the hill, with you guys having last seen him move from E8 to D9.

DM only:
End turn in C13
It is now Mako's turn.

Cieyrin
2011-03-06, 01:42 PM
Mako

Mako pulls out another bottle, mixes another fuminous concoction and chucks it at the dragon's prone body. Burn, BURN, AHAHAHAHAHA! >:D
Fire bomb attack: [roll0]
Fire bomb damage: [roll1] Acid damage

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-06, 02:01 PM
The caustic mix explodes all over the dragon, killing it and setting its body alight. The burning corpse crackles with electricity, and the smell of smoldering scales and meat wafts up.

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-07, 09:27 PM
The last of the lizardfolk flees for his life, running from behind hill to hill in a chaotic, zig-zagging path. The party gives chase, but they are unfortunately unable to catch or kill him, and he lives to fight another day.

Returning to the dragon's lair, the party loots it for all it's worth before setting off for Rong. Upon their return, they are all lauded as heroes by the still-shaken populace. They are given the highest civilian honors by the mayor, and delicious dragon stew is enjoyed by everyone present.

But of course, they also enjoy the best reward of all:

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/2332/riches.png
Awwww yeaaahh

The dragon's hoard is worth well over 2000 gp, and some of it isn't even stolen from the marketplace. The heroes can each keep enough of it to be set for life, if they so choose.

And so the story of The March Raid, as it became known, comes to a close. But while there was peace for a time, that wasn't the end of the troubles in the old Valley of Spines. But that's a story for another time, if you really want to hear about Warlord Pinky and the Blue Hand of Doom.

Cieyrin
2011-03-07, 10:32 PM
Mako

Mako makes Orc buns for everybody! :smallbiggrin:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2180/2061356738_331ec6e5cf.jpg