PDA

View Full Version : Tanglefoot Bag-creating item?

Chilingsworth
2011-02-24, 02:01 PM
Looking through the Magic Item Compendium, I noticed the Bag of Endless Caltrops. It produces five squares/day worth of caltrops. I was wondering, is there something that produces a renewable supply of tanglefoot bags (or a tanglefootbag-like effect)? Even if it was just 1/day or something like that, it could come in handy. It's ok if it's supernatural rather than alchemical, as long as it still slows opponents down even on a successful save.

Is there such an item? If so, where?

Ernir
2011-02-24, 02:06 PM
Rod of Viscid Globs, Magic Item Compendium.

Draz74
2011-02-24, 02:18 PM
Rod of Viscid Globs, Magic Item Compendium.

Exactly. It's dirt cheap (2000 gp, IIRC), it works 3/day, and it's even better than a tanglefoot bag effect (better range).

Chilingsworth
2011-02-24, 02:28 PM
Thanks guys!

I must have paged over it while flipping through my MIC.
Now, another question: Is it more useful than 3 Bags of Endless Caltrops?
My wizard will be part of a team defending ruins and temples from adventurers, so I bought 5 Bags of endless caltrops to enable myself to set the battle field up for them in advance. (Over the course of days, 25 squares of caltrops/day seems handy to me.) So, would I be better off with five bags of endless caltrops, or 2 bags of caltrops and a rod of viscid orbs and 400 gp worth of something else (maybe a 4th level spell, maybe spell components)?

ericgrau
2011-02-24, 03:16 PM
For only 4,000 gp marvelous pigments can create all the tanglefoot bags, caltrops, food, water and other mundane miscellany you could possibly want. 40 tanglefoot bags, but I doubt you'll ever need that many. Best to mix in other items.

Chilingsworth
2011-02-24, 03:44 PM
For only 4,000 gp marvelous pigments can create all the tanglefoot bags, caltrops, food, water and other mundane miscellany you could possibly want. 40 tanglefoot bags, but I doubt you'll ever need that many. Best to mix in other items.

except that using it requires a craft (painting) check. I don't have the skillpoints to spare to get my check high enough to auto-make the check, so I wouldn't trust my ability to use this item.:smallfrown:

ericgrau
2011-02-24, 04:42 PM
You don't paint for 10 minutes during combat. You can take a 10 on the check. So all you need is a +5 modifier.