PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Paths Not Crossed - IC

Cardea
2011-02-24, 02:24 PM
OOC LINK (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187905)

Players

{table=head]Player|Character|Race|Summary
Eldan|Kelara Athage (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=271880)|Human|"If you have enough coin, you'll have your kill."
Dorizzit|Crayarklotalkzakaladrax (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=272246)|Pyroclastic Dragon|"I heard you like fire, so I brought some fire, to ruin your fire."
Ryuuk|Adel of Nagant (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=271464)|Arcadian Avenger|"To the skies, my Brothers!"
Vael|Isani of Vorganund (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=275836)|Demon|"Reality is as I will it."
M. Mayonnaise|Michael Ares Sagittarius (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=275843)|Outsider|"My Arrows are as the stars."[/table]

And so it begins.

One week ago, the Material Plane disappeared. It was not enough that reality was still settling down after the Reformation, but now a pinnacle of the universe was now missing. Not blocked off, not separated, but missing. People could still go to the Ethereal and Shadow Planes, but what they saw... was disturbing, at best. Talks of strange eyes and mouths chasing those who braved to go there, and this constant voice in their head that continuously chanted 'Feed Me.... Feed me... Feed me...' in every language that one could understand. There are still people trying to figure out what is going on, but currently, no progress has been made.

The displaced races of mortality have been making due for the time being. They have kept to themselves for the most part, trying their best not to upset things that are higher up on the food chain. And they have been left alone, either pity or kindness shielding them from being target practice or someone's meal.

An hour ago, however, there was another... disruption. A being known as Possible Intent, whose origins lie somewhere in the vast gears of Mechanus, requested an audience with the Lady of Pain... and yourself, along with four others, whose names you know one way or another, to the Lady of Pain's quarters in Sigil. Their message is polite enough, but, their tone is clear. They need Agents for something... monumental.

_/_/_/_/

As you walk in the door, your vision changes, as where you are disappears from view, and you find yourself in a circular chamber. The walls are made of marble, as is the ground, with the ceiling nowhere in sight. On the one door to the room comes in familiar faces. And on the other side of the room, in a simple wooden chair, sits a Kolyarut. On its body comes down red and gold robes, and has its head resting on a palm, with its arm resting on the arm of the chair.

OOC
Something you would all know: The Lady of Pain is able to keep a private sanctum in Sigil by having her own small extra dimensional space attached to it. To access it, one must go to an abandoned alleyway, any alleyway will do, and say the key word: Gar I Omit Now.
For Those Who Want to Run Away
Upon receiving the message, at your first attempt to get away from Sigil and as far away from the Lady of Pain as possible, you feel a great pull on your back, almost clawing away at your flesh. Your vision changes, as where you are disappears from view, and you find yourself in a circular chamber. The walls are made of marble, as is the ground, with the ceiling nowhere in sight. On the one door to the room comes in familiar faces. And on the other side of the room, in a simple wooden chair, sits a Kolyarut. On its body comes down red and gold robes, and has its head resting on a palm, with its arm resting on the arm of the chair.

Eldan
2011-02-24, 04:36 PM
There is a faint clatter of metal on stone first, then Kelara stumbles through the door, first a shocked look on her face that quickly disappears under a mixture of anger and frantic haste, almost panic. Her yellow eyes quickly take in the scenery, resting just a second on the Inevitable before rushing on.
"Crap. Crap crap crap. ORCUS' SHRIVELLED BLACK BALLS!".
A three and a half foot long flame leaps from a piece of metal in her left hand as she advances a few steps, her back against a wall.
"Shadows... okay. No shadows. Good... no doorways either, and no corners. Don't look at Her eyes."
She paces along the wall, eyes to the ground now, back still to the stone, the rough, spiky adamantine of her skin-armour leaving little white scratches where it tears up the stone.
"Stupid, stupid, stupid. Should have stood still. Couldn't grab me then. Shouldn't have tried running."

It's overly paranoid, but I'm playing this for all it's worth. As soon as anyone comes closer than a few feet to her, she'll jump up a few inches and try to go ethereal.

Ryuuk
2011-02-25, 05:26 PM
"Gar I Omit Now"

With a soft click after each step, Adel of Arcadia steps in with a small white bird perched on his shoulder. The iron man watches the scene carefully, crossing his arms. He doesn't speak aloud, but rather through the mind. "You are Possible Intent? Your call has been answered, why do you need-"

He turns the the adamantite skinned woman. "Kelara? I suppose the wheel is smaller then it seems. You were summoned as well."

AmberVael
2011-02-25, 08:58 PM
"Well there are so few who really make an impact on things, Adel."
Isani says silkily, stepping out from behind him, a little smirk across her lips.
Wait, was she already there, or did she just appear? It's quite hard to tell- if she appeared, her entrance was silent and nearly undetectable, but if she were already there, she would have to have been quite perfectly hidden.
"I'm surprised you haven't already guessed who will be arriving. I know I have..."

Is she trying to make herself look arrogant? In someone else it might just seem like an insufferable attitude and nothing more, but with Isani- well, she certainly doesn't always act that way, and she does have this habit of trying to rile people.

Dorizzit
2011-02-25, 10:01 PM
"Tremendous power is not necessary to make a difference, Isani of Vorganund, although I am forced to admit I can see little alternative in these dire circumstances."

A third arrival paces into the chamber, a Fire Genasi female. She makes no effort to hide her entry; on the contrary, she strides confidently through the entrance. Despite her unassuming form and lack of equipment, the others in the room recognize her immediately as the alternate form of the ancient dragon Crayarklotalkzakaladrax, more commonly known as Craya. She inclines her head slightly at the others.

"Adel of Nagant, Kelara the Thick Skinned."

M. Mayonnaise
2011-02-25, 11:13 PM
A soft knock sounds from the entrance. A humble man in his thirties stands in the door, looking distinctly out of place among the other inhabitants of the room. Dressed in coarse wool clothing, he would seem for all the world like nothing more than an average human peasant were it not for two things: he has five full quivers' worth of arrows around his waist, and his eyes are a bright star-like silver. "May I join you?"

When the others turn to him, he seems to take that as permission to enter. As he enters the room, it is immediately apparent that he is extraordinarily graceful - he seems to be half-floating across the ground, so light is his step. He stops near the center of the room, and bows deeply to Possible Intent.

"Your invitation honors me, He-Of-Mechanus." The others recognize that curious accent unique to Michael, and the traditional greeting he uses. Looking up at Possible Intent, but remaining in his bow, he say, "I must ask your forgiveness. Your invitation was of such urgency that I was unable to prepare a proper gift for you, our host."

Michael straightens from his bow. He bows to each of the other guests in turn. "Lady Craya, Lord Adel, Lady Kelara, Lady Isani. A pleasure to see you all once more. Long have the stars told me of this meeting."

His greetings completed, he turns back to Possible Intent, attentive and respectful.

Cardea
2011-02-26, 12:35 AM
The Kolyarut in the chair nods solemnly at the inquiry to his name, confirming that, yes, he is the entity known as Possible Intent. Sitting up, he rests his elbows on the arms of the chair, and leans in. "Menairick vanisp eshintho. Pragmaisiii coryi prckaerick in. Yuufarick paesh inthiiniishiisii." The words flow, broken and slow, out of its mouth.

If You Understand Celestial or Draconic
"I am the Possible Intent. I am future and past and I am very much more present. Unfortunately, the Lady shall not join us; her presence is needed elsewhere."

Eldan
2011-02-26, 12:42 AM
Kelara snarls, keeping her back to the wall.

"Well, well. Her Serenity will have an exquisite collection f bloodstains today, looking at the company here."

Ryuuk
2011-02-26, 01:23 AM
As the others arrive, Adel steps aside to clear the way. "I admit that years of maintaining order in the Utopia can slow one down, Isani. I suppose your prediction was right?" Beyond the step and his neck, not a single 'muscle' had moved.

He gives each in turn a nod of acknowledgment. "Craya, Micheal, the pleasure is mutual."

His attention shifts to his host when he speaks. "If it can be avoided, the better, I have no need for unnecessary bloodshed. Still, we are in her private sanctum without her presence... Possible Intent, are you in a position to tell us more about her task?"

AmberVael
2011-02-26, 03:29 PM
Isani looks a little disappointed at Adel's answer, but also maybe a bit... amused?
"I didn't actually make one."
She admits, then smiles at Craya.
"I never did say it was necessary. Though it will certainly help here, I agree."

"So, to business. What is our task? Why do you want our help?"

M. Mayonnaise
2011-02-26, 10:34 PM
Michael takes a step towards Kelara and raises a hand towards her in a placating manner. "Be at peace, Lady Kelara. This meeting will not come to blows."

He turns back to Possible Intent and nods. "I understand. These are difficult times, and there are undoubtedly many pressures on the Lady. We wish her the stars' favor."

He shifts, seemingly uncomfortable. "You seem as though you do not wish us to leave and return another time, however. Have you your own business with us, He-Of-Mechanus?"

Eldan
2011-02-27, 06:21 AM
Kelara snorts.
"Do you have any idea how many people, over the ages, have been in this place and survived? A small handful. Very small. And anyway. You!"
She points her finger at Possible Intent.
"If you want to hire me, at least speak some language a normal person can understand!"

Dorizzit
2011-02-27, 03:42 PM
Craya, still in her genasi form, takes her place against one wall of the chamber, acknowledging the new arrivals but otherwise remains silent. Her head snaps to look at Possible Intent when the Inevitable speaks, however, the unusual method of speech attracting her attention as much as the words themselves. Instead of responding immediately, she turns to look at Kelara.

"I feel obliged to say that 'normal' is relative in this situation."

She turns to Possible Intent.

"Zyak yo ocuir. Kahz negt yth unsir spokek?"

"So I see. Why have we been summoned?"

Ryuuk
2011-02-27, 05:39 PM
"One way to make sure the guess isn't wrong." He nods at Isani and seems to relax, slightly, both in stance and in mental tone.

He turns to Kelara, and after some thought, continues. "I suppose you may be right... and the current climate seems right for some to cull their enemies in the chaos... Yet if that were the case, why call five at once? Surely one at a time would be... cleaner?" He muses in silence.

Eldan
2011-02-28, 03:33 AM
Kelara scowls at Adel, the light glittering on the black adamantine scales and spikes of her neck.
"Has the Lady ever cared about being clean? In Bloodgem Park, last year, the buildings were covered in blood up to the third story."
She turns around, the flame in her hand shifting, focusing, turning into a narrow, sharp blade and yet still burning.
"So, anyone please care to enlighten me what that thing is saying?"

Cardea
2011-02-28, 02:37 PM
The Kolyarut in the chair is silent for a few minutes, before speaking again. This time, however, his tone is more akin to a grinding tone, rather than the broken, choppy speech before. His eyes pulse red, before turning back to a dark blue, and several stones of various color come from somewhere on his person and begin to rotate around his head. "Kra'ik norgan praeck inthragneer goraignon. Ughandol yrackin paif. Mrepen."

For Those Who Speak Infernal and Draconic
"You are here at my request, to solve a small dilemma I do not have time for. You are to solve it if able, halt it if need be or stall it if unable to do either of the first two. Try for the first."
Kelara
Please make a DC 42 Will Save
Success
Nothing
Failure
In your head, screamed in a metallic, furious voice, comes the word: "PATIENCE, PLEASE. CALM."

Eldan
2011-02-28, 02:42 PM
Will save:
[roll0]

AmberVael
2011-03-02, 01:13 PM
Isani just gives a nod and waits for Possible Intent to continue, seeing no reason to interject.

Cardea
2011-03-02, 01:39 PM
"Yangorkro napae indayahol masti," Possible Intent says, withdrawing from his person a small object wrapped in silk. The temperature in the room lowers by a few degrees, and the air takes on a hint of blood. "Nosha tuvis waquin effi inthaprayook vo. Onthai efraeti naema _____________." With the last word, his voice sounds muffled or filtered by some means. You can tell he is not simply mouthing the word, but no clear word comes out.

Those Who Understand Elven or Infernal
"In fifteen minutes time, this will awaken and open a portal to the ___________."

Eldan
2011-03-02, 01:51 PM
"Yeees?"
Kelara waves her hand impatiently.
"Can you please tell us what you want us to do, why we should care and what you intend to pay us? I acknowledge that you have abducted us and can keep us here, but that's no reason for meaningless delays."

Dorizzit
2011-03-02, 08:44 PM
Craya tenses up as she realizes she cannot understand the entirety of Possible Intent's words. She knew enough to understand the rest, but the final word was confusing; like nothing she had ever heard before. She readies herself, physically and mentally. Wherever this portal lead, it probably wasn't good. Despite her apprehensions, she isn't worried. It's been centuries since she last faced a true threat. Still, she looks around the room at the others, trying to gauge their reactions. Kelara still seemed to be uncomfortable, but the others appeared to be taking everything in stride.

M. Mayonnaise
2011-03-02, 09:19 PM
Michael tenses as Possible Intent displays the object to the assembled guests. He slowly removes his bow from around his back, holding it in his left hand but not knocking an arrow - yet.
He glances at Kelara as he says, "You should all wait outside. This is not safe."
To Possible Intent he says, "The device is twisting your words, He-Of-Mechanus. We cannot understand what you are saying. Cast it out of your presence so we may parley."

Cardea
2011-03-02, 10:02 PM
"Ghakovin, and it will be at peace."" Possible Intent says, standing, and tossing the object into the middle of the room. It hits the ground once, shattering the smooth marble on impact. Though it is still covered in the cloth. "One of flesh must hold it, for it to work. Leave it there for now. Let it be impatient. It can wait a few moments while I explain. And put your weapon away. We have no need of it here."

A glove of metal forms around his hand, glowing with energy. He points at the object on the ground, and the temperature in the room raises, higher than it was before he took out the object. He moves on. "This is a Weapon of the Demiplanes. One of the only things that was not affected by Boccob, may Mechanus give him the strength to continue his cycle, when he Chanted. And while Boccob warped the Planes themselves, he was still unable to affect the Demiplanes, specifically one named Moil, The City That Waits."

Those Who Understand Elven
The first word translates into 'Take it from me.'

Dorizzit
2011-03-02, 10:46 PM
Craya takes in Possible Intent's now-clear message, turning her gaze warily at the shrouded object lying on the floor. Anything powerful enough to resist Boccob's Final Spell had to be an object of tremendous power. Another piece of information catches her attention, the mention of Moil. The name strikes a chord of recognition somewhere in her vast and ancient memory. After several seconds of searching, she remembers it.

"Moil...the city from which the Black Lore of the Nightlords originated?"

Ryuuk
2011-03-02, 11:56 PM
One of flesh... Adel had simply watched the scene unfold. He couldn't help but wonder about the host's speech. It seemed to be fixed now, but was it do to the item? He stares at it with care, wondering exactly what it did to one not of flesh and just how dense it must be for the impact it caused.

He knew next to nothing on Moil, now seemed like a good time to learn though. He simply waited for the clarification. If his duty had given him anything, it was patience.

Eldan
2011-03-03, 08:42 AM
"That Moil, yes. Until there's another one I've never heard of. The old goat's little pet project."
She smirks and takes a small shard of white chalk from her pocket.
"Now, it just so happens that I have someone here with me who ruled the city for a few thousand years. Let's ask him a few questions, shall we?"
Squatting down, she begins sketching out a circle and seal on the ground, murmuring an incantation to herself.

Cardea
2011-03-07, 03:23 PM
"That isn't going to-" Possible Intent starts, before the chalk writings that Kelara put down burns away a moment after they are drawn, into nothing. "The Lady prefers that her chambers, any of them, remain spotless."

He turns to Craya. "Yes. That Moil of legend. It has changed in the past few years, changing its planar make-up. It now stands as its on Demiplane, barely connected to the Plane of Shadow, and housing a being that was originally kept under lock and key in the material plane. A being known as Igranthil."

DC Knowledge History 30
Igranthil was a Dwarf who took it upon himself to learn of the World's History.

DC Knowledge History 40
Igranthil learned the secret of Immortality, and used it upon himself. The process, while giving him the gift of long life, also scarred him, changing his appearance into something monstrous.

DC Knowledge History 45
Upon the scarring, Igranthil fled into the Underdark, not wanting to shame his Kinsmen with his mistake. There, he continued his studies of the World, trying to learn of a way to remove his scarring, but keeping his gift. He made himself out as a Duergar, and then as a Feral Gargun, until his scarring continued and worsening him into something far worse than either.

DC Knowledge History 50
Stories say that Igranthil still existed, and was gifted with a home deep in the earth. Out of the hardest of forgotten minerals, he was given a dome, in which through the ceiling he could observe the ongoings of the material plane, and continue his hunt for knowledge in peace.

M. Mayonnaise
2011-03-07, 04:49 PM
Michael remains somewhat wary of the Weapon, though he does replace his bow around his back after Possible Intent's reassurance.
"That "weapon" is very angry with you, He-Of-Mechanus. Please forgive my alarm.
"I am afraid I am sadly uneducated in recent history. Moil is a name with which I am unfamiliar, as is Igranthil."

Ryuuk
2011-03-07, 08:34 PM
"Igranthil..." Adel's eyes dim as he looks down, slowly going through the meaning behind that name. "A self made immortal..." Suddenly, he looks back up, his eyes back to their normal glow. He pauses for a moment, a hand at his head, but ultimately, continues. "He started as a dwarf who set out to chronicle the world. His lifetime wasn't enough, so he extended it with the knowledge he'd gained. It cost him dearly, disfiguring him... He fled from his kin into the realm of the duergar and drow, but he continued to deteriorate."

"Time meant nothing to his body, so he continued his work deep into the world, recording the passage of history in peace... It's understandable Micheal, it was after your time." He nods, slowly piecing it together, at least, his version.

"However, I assume that with the material plane gone, he found himself displaced into the city... Freed?" He turns to Possible Intent. "I wonder, were the inevitables involved with Igranthil fate? He found a way to cheat death, at the very least, the Maruts should have sought him out."

Eldan
2011-03-08, 03:43 AM
Kelara makes a low, growling sound deep in her metal-clad throat and frowns, wiping the chalk stains from her hands off on the wall.
"Should have guessed. Her Serenity doesn't like intruders from outside, it seems. We'll have to repeat it when we get outside, no better information on Moil than it's second Lord.

AmberVael
2011-03-08, 09:49 AM
Isani shakes her head.
"The Marut are only capable of fighting those who know little of what they do, for their power is small. Igranthil, I think, is not such a person, else he would not have survived as long as he did."

"He is old and has more knowledge than many. But I wonder, of what interest is he to us? Strange a history as he may have, I see little reason to find him notable to us. Why do you bring him up?"

Cardea
2011-03-09, 05:12 PM
"My colleagues and I have found where he lies, in, as you had guessed, Moil. After the... disappearance, we could feel his presence radiating from deep within the city's vaults. This is where both our problems, and possibly our solution, lie." Possible Intent says, adjusting his hand's posture. He brings forth his other hand, a similar gauntlet forming on it, and points it at the object. "Moil, given what it is, houses forces that heavily involve themselves in the properties of Life and Death. Given what Igranthil knows, he may strike a bargain with them, giving them the secrets of immortality, a result we do not want, and receive a relieve from his scarring. In which case, it is safe to assume that he will take the secrets of Immortality to his fellow Dwarven Bretheren. This is the most pleasant of results."

"Another, is that they bind Igranthil, keeping his knowledge and powers at their disposal."

"Another is that he may bind them..."

"And another still is that he may take Moil."

"There are countless other possibilities that neither I or my colleagues have been able to calculate. We need you because... we are unable to use the Knife ourselves, given our nature. And while there are other beings of Power who would gladly use the Knife and claim loyalty to this purpose, we cannot trust ourselves of them to keep them true to their word."

"What makes Igranthil so important, as I mentioned, for a solution, is that he may know what happened to the Material Plane."

"In short... we require you to hunt down Igranthil in Moil, and prevent his contact with any transgressors who might overcome him, or might be overcome by him."

"And I do not mean to rush, but we have eight more minutes before it can activate."

Ryuuk
2011-03-14, 12:59 AM
Adel considers Isani's correction, pauses, and slowly nods in agreement. Nevertheless, they were keeping watch over him... and most likely him on them. This man could supposedly see it all, know it all. Even now...?

In a way, Possible Intent's words were comforting. They meant he was not quite lost yet, that he was still, at least partially, a being of flesh. Or so he hoped. Taking the dagger would tell him, but he felt no compulsion to.

"So we are to bring him back and leave in 8 minutes, very well. Very well. Yet... Possible Intent, when I tried to recall this immortal's history, I heard laughter... not from anyone here, just... as a thought. Is this normal when dealing with Igranthil?"

Cardea
2011-03-14, 09:56 AM
"You are to leave in eight minutes, yes." Possible Intent says, looking at Adel. "But only if one of you takes the Knife within that time span."

AmberVael
2011-03-14, 10:00 AM
"Fine. Lets just get going."
Isani steps forward, her eyes narrowed as she looks at Possible Intent.
"Watch your back."
With no more words, she'll reach down and pick up the knife.

Eldan
2011-03-14, 10:09 AM
Note:
Before we actually go to Moil, I would still prefer to summon and interrogate Acererak. We can't just waltz in there unprepared, so let's go to a neutral place first so we can do this.

Cardea
2011-03-14, 10:10 AM
Vael

As you pick up the knife, voices seem to fill in the chamber, drowning everyone out. There are numerous ones, though three stand out amongst the rest of them, and you can almost feel another presence in the room. Possible Intent looks down at you, apparently saying something.

"Hello! Yes! Hello! Slice it open! Slice open the veil! Slice it open like a murderer to the harlot's throat! Slice it! Slice open the veil! Do you need us in our current form, or..."

"Yes! A sword! A sword worthy of a knight! One to cut down your foes as the Champion of his King! A sword for the knight! A sword for the knight! A sword for the knight!"

"JUST SAY YES. JUST CUT DOWN THE VEIL. SLICE OPEN THE BARRIER WITH OUR TEETH AND WE SHALL SMILE IN KINDNESS, FOR THOUGH SHALT BE OUR LADY OF SPLENDOR."

Make a DC 51 Will Save.

DC 40 Spot Check to read his lips.
"Do you have control?"

As Isani picks up the knife, Possible Intent's head immediately looks down at her. "Do you have control?"

AmberVael
2011-03-14, 10:36 AM
The demon's will consumes all that forces against it, and as the voices rail against her, they will find themselves inevitably bent to her will.
"There is no need to ask me such a question."
Isani says in reply.

Dorizzit
2011-03-16, 10:19 PM
Craya

Craya nods in satisfaction as Isani takes the knife and bends its spirit to her will.

"Very well, then. Does anyone desire further preparation? Or shall we simply wait out the remaining time?"

Cardea
2011-03-23, 08:08 AM
The minutes pass by slowly, the slow whirring of gears from Possible Intent destroying what silence there was. The knife itself, on observation, is made from a crude metal. It is jagged, with pock-marks all along the blade, and if one looks closely enough, it's warped. The handle, however, is wrapped in silk. After eight minutes have come and gone, the knife starts vibrating.

Slowly, the pock-marks disappear, the knife turns straight, and its edge becomes sharp. It sheds an aura of green, and there is laughter in the room; loud and frantic. Isani re-affrims her grip on the knife, and slashes in an arc. The air where the knife cut now holds the green glow, which expands. It turns to teeth, jagged and smiling, before warping open into a portal, from which comes the sound of rushing wind, through which another... reality, for lack of a better word, lies.

Through the portal can be seen spheres and shapes of different colors and materials. The ones closest to the portal is one shaped like a snail's shell, made out of a deep, purple crystal. Another one looks like a misshapen head; warped into a ball, with its nose and ears pushed inward, and far more eyes than it would normally have, that do not concentrate of anything. And another which looks like a spinning star made out of obsidian.

Possible Intent shouts, over the roar of the portal. "Go! Find Moil! You only have seven days before the knife is active again!"

AmberVael
2011-03-23, 09:17 AM
Isani steps through the portal she carved without a backward glance, or any acknowledgment at all to Possible Intent. When her foot encounters air, ripples in space move out from it, and she stands on empty space as if it were solid ground. In a few steps more, she's far through the portal, without any apparent searching for the plane of Moil.

M. Mayonnaise
2011-03-23, 08:38 PM
Michael, unflappable as always, offers Possible Intent a bow as the portal opens. His mouth moves - probably to offer some formal thanks or farewell - but the words are drowned out by the chaos.

Straightening, he follows Isani through the portal, taking his bow in hand once more. He appears unfazed by the alien "landscape" beyond, and though the others may think it a charade to hide fear, Craya is familiar enough with him to see the excitement hidden in his eyes.

Michael follows in Isani's footsteps - he is unsure which way to go, but trusts in his stars to guide him to his destination.

Dorizzit
2011-03-24, 10:59 AM
Craya

Craya awaits the time of departure in silence, neither fidgeting nor moving, almost becoming part of the wall itself. As Isani rips open the path through the planes, Craya steps away from the wall and stretches slowly, then strides over to the portal and cautiously steps through.

Ryuuk
2011-03-24, 11:42 AM
Adel

Watching the others go, Adel joins them. As before, he continues to speak through telepathy. "7 days, very well, it will be done." He pauses only to carry the small bird in his arms rather then let it stand on his shoulder.

Cardea
2011-03-25, 10:20 AM
The five of you step through the portal, onto nothing. In the 'air', you hover, with no pull towards any one direction. The star hovers closest, and it goes past your group, hovering a few feet below you, floating away. The head slowly spins where it exists, its eyes still unfocused. And the crystal shell floats towards your group; slowly, but surely. The portal behind you closes.

A light source can be seen far, far ahead of you all. It has a soft gold glow to it,which seems to illuminate everything that you can see. Off in the distance you can hear a few bird calls, and in the distance you can tell there are more large objects, floating aimlessly in this weird level of existence.

Isani
Mistress! Mistress! Away from the light! Moil lies where light only treads lightly! Where light is a tentative guest! Where light is fearful of the dead!

Do not go towards the light, our Lady! The Lady holds a being who cares not for survival! Only to turn all to his flock! Away from the light! AWAY!

... missstress... the birdssss... the birdsss ssserve hiiiimm... awaaay.... from the liiiiight....

Spot Check DC 45
A few hundred feet away, there are two avian creatures, flying towards your group. They're making considerable distance, and will be upon your group in less than a minute.
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad232/CardeaAfton/phoenix.jpg?t=1301066000

Knowledge: The Planes DC 50
Advanced Positive Energy Phoenix

M. Mayonnaise
2011-03-27, 02:00 PM
Michael peers off into the distance. Slight wariness registers in his features as he says to the others, "There are two creatures approaching us by air. They are less than a minute away. They look like... phoenixes, I believe. Positive energy phoenixes."

AmberVael
2011-03-28, 04:14 PM
"I concur."
Isani says shortly.
"But I don't believe they'll be a threat. Should we attempt to parley with them?"

M. Mayonnaise
2011-03-28, 04:29 PM
Michael tilts his head inquisitively at her.
"Of course, Lady Isani. I did not realize you were already considering combat."
He is calm and polite as always, but it seems as though there may be a warning hidden in his voice.

Dorizzit
2011-03-28, 04:48 PM
Craya

Craya looks around cautiously at the group's surroundings, her eyes sweeping the edges of her vision for anything that didn't fit in. After a few seconds, her keen eyes detect the approaching Phoenixes. She nods as the others plan.

"These are no ordinary Phoenixes, even taking their positive energy adaptations into account. I would advise caution. I also agree with Isani of Vorganund, we should speak with them."

Cardea
2011-03-29, 08:33 AM
The two birds approach your group, and stop, hovering twenty feet away. One of them looking from one member of your party to another, while the other stares intently on the knife that Isani holds. The first one whose attention is split between you all speaks. "Thank you for visiting our Master's realm. Lord Upros bids you welcome. Though one may ask, and would know, what brings you before his noble throne?"

The second one speaks up, now. "They bring gifts, a mighty one, I do see. Perhaps one to offer to our Master, in return for his mercy?"

The first one responds. "Ah, yes! A gift! A mighty gift! For our Lord may take such keys in kindness, for kindness does he show upon his guests!"

The second one continues. "Kindness held in truth, that it be. But it is held by one who opposes our Master, one that is seen as an enemy to the throne."

The first one speaks again. "Ah! Ah! An enemy to the throne!" It coos. "Maybe she wishes to reform for her crimes?"

Isani
KILL THEM. END THEIR CHATTER. END THEIR PATHETIC LIVES. THEY LIVE ALREADY IN SERVITUDE. THEY GIVE THEIR LIVES NO MEANING.

AmberVael
2011-03-29, 09:15 AM
This is why I was on guard. There is no Lord Upros, and they take exception to me merely because they think I should have died by now. They are maddened creatures, afflicted by the insanity that has spread across their plane.
Isani's voice flickers through the minds of her companions.
We cannot rely on rational or reasonable responses from them. Self defense may be necessary.

Out loud, she replies to the creatures.
"I am afraid this is not a gift, as we must retain it to complete our task. However, our task may be of interest to you- we seek Moil, to put its cursed inhabitants to rest once and for all, and bring peace to its troubled lands. Perhaps you might show us the way?"

She's totally bluffing those silly birds.
[roll0]

Ryuuk
2011-03-30, 02:10 PM
Adel

Truly a pity... This creatures are majestic, for them to have lost their minds is... Hmm, a moment...Isani, pardon they don't listen to your words, allow me to act, to see if they truly are lost. After communicating with the others, Adel turns to the small white bird in his hand. A small dialogue seems to occur, with the creature looking back at him. In the end, it nods and flies some distance off.

If after Isani's words they seem just as lost as before, then something will occur with the dove. One moment it's a tiny dove. The next, it's engulfed in an aura of electricity, before erupting into something much bigger. Now that there's space, even if it is with a twisted atmosphere, the huge White Raven spreads its wings, sending blue sparks flying. It lets out a loud song, before turning back to the birds.

It's presence can be felt, but by then Adel is hovering between the phoenixes. One of his hands is glowing white, and he attempts to touch the one that looked over the group.

I'm not sure if this would start an encounter or if it would involve Initiative, but just in case:

First he'll dismiss the Polymorph on the White Rave, hopefully to act as a distraction. The White Raven will then turn on the Aura of Power (Dragon magic) giving any within 30ft a +7 bonus to overcome SR.

With that, hopefully it'll be enough to bypass any SR they might have, and let him land a touch spell.

Adel will use his Greater Restoration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/restorationGreater.htm) SLA from the Renewal domain granted by Planetouched. Amongst other things, this cures most forms of Insanity.

If their Touch AC is below 60, it automatically connects (Epic Destiny). If not: [roll0]
SR: [roll1]

and if needed: Initiative: [roll2]

Cardea
2011-03-30, 04:17 PM
The birds seem to look back and forth from one another to Isani, without saying a word. They come closer to Isani, observing her face, and the knife, before going back to where they once were. They look at each other again, before the one who merely observed the group speaks. "A test!"

To which, the other one responds, "A test! Yes, a test! A test to see if such a wonderful gift belongs to one such as you, instead of our Lord Upros! A test to see if she and her friends can survive the harshness of the dark cowards! A test! A test!"

The first one speaks, "Do you accept such a glorious test?"

M. Mayonnaise
2011-03-30, 07:47 PM
Michael looks at Isani, seeming to evaluate her. He says to her,
"The truest tests are those administered by Fate. We need not fear any test given by a mere man or his servants."
His unshakeable faith is conveyed remarkably strongly through those simple words - from anyone else, they might seem hollow assurances, but he speaks with simple, unchallengeable certainty.

Eldan
2011-03-31, 04:28 PM
Kelara snarls and stretches her neck, the adamantine ridge along her spine scratching against her shoulder plates.
"Frankly, I hate tests. Most who haven't heard of me aren't worth the time a test would take, and those who know my reputation don't need tests."
A tiny, flickering blue light springs into light on her left index finger, then dances along her hand, jumping from finger tip to finger tip as she watches it.
"Still. I'm not in too bad a mood. Get on with it."

Cardea
2011-03-31, 04:50 PM
A loud hum rings out, as the first bird flies into the middle of the group. It shines brightly, becoming almost too bright to look at directly. It screams, and erupts into flame, engulfing the five of you. Almost deafened, and your eyes shaking off the light. The second phoenix flies towards the small dove Adel had let loose, and grabs at it with its claws, attempting to bind its wings together.

In the middle of your group, there is a swirling mass of feathers, that is growing faster and faster by the second.

Map

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad232/CardeaAfton/PathsNotCrossed-1.jpg?t=1301607655
Map Notes

Labels for characters will be up next map. Refer to your posting color for where you are.
The large purple polygon is the crystal structure.
The flesh colored sphere is the Flesh Sphere.
The number on the two objects represent ten feet. The plus or minus sign means above or below you. Example: The Flesh Sphere is 80 feet above the groups current position.
Hard to see, but there's a white spot near the orange sphere that is the Adel's Raven.
Combat
Everyone except for the Raven: Make a reflex save DC 44, or take 118 damage. Half of which is Fire; if you have immunity or fire resistance, apply as need be.
Raven needs to make an opposed grapple roll, vs. 48.

Eldan
2011-03-31, 04:54 PM
Reflex:
[roll0]
Also: Immune to Fire

Initiative:
[roll1]

Ryuuk
2011-03-31, 05:20 PM
Adel

Covering his eyes from the blast, Adel watches as the dove is snatched up. Despite the flames, he sends the second pheonix a simple message.

You'll regret that...

It looks like the Raven is, at the moment, Tiny and with a much smaller Str score (Polymorphed into a normal raven). I don't think he can beat it with those modifiers.

Reflex: [roll0]

Sieze the Day: [roll1], [roll2]

All within 30ft of Adel get the following:
- Aura of Valor: +13 to damage on a charge (Morale)
- Aura of Alacrity: +30 ft to base land speed
- Aura of Ardor: +13 to Attack Rolls (Morale)

15 was rolled for initiative above

AmberVael
2011-03-31, 05:40 PM
I have to roll two ones to fail that save (I only fail on a one, and I get to reroll ones by my Pride domain power).

Saves:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Anyway, Isani is also immune to fire.

Here is initiative: [roll2]

M. Mayonnaise
2011-03-31, 08:12 PM
Unless your eyes deceive you, Michael is moving before the birds. He nocks an arrow and brings it back to full draw faster than the eye can follow, and it rockets towards the bird about to attack Adel's dove like a shooting star.

My Strike with No Thought ability from Heroic Fighter lets me gain my own surprise round in which I can draw my weapon and make a single precision strike. I make that attack against the bird attacking Adel's Raven.

I use my Called Shot ability to take the full -25 attack penalty and gain 100 additional points of damage.
Attack: [roll0] Edit: forgot the bonus from Adel's Aura of Ardor, with would bring it up to +79.

Damage: [roll1]
Assuming the bird has no DR, I'll give up 280 points of damage to deal 14 points of Wisdom drain.
If the bird takes any Wisdom drain, it must make a DC 45 (+1 per point of ability drain suffered beyond the first) Will save or be stunned for 1 round and reduced to -1 HP.

Furthermore, if the attack hits, Michael gains battle mastery, giving him all of the bonuses associated (listed in the spells/powers section of his sheet) for the rest of the encounter.

Michael appears to see the fireball coming. Eyes closed, he does his best to evade the worst of the blast. He comes out of his tumble with another arrow nocked and ready, his expression regretful but resolved.

Reflex save: [roll2]
If I succeed my save, I take no damage (Improved Elusion Sagittarius ability).
Otherwise, I take half damage, minus an additional 20 from my fire resistance.
Initiative: [roll3]

AmberVael
2011-04-01, 08:11 PM
Isani

Isani makes a casual, dismissive wave of her hand towards one of the two birds, sending a wave of magic at it with a flicker of thought... and then is hit with a sudden, rebounding effect that catches her off guard. With a moment's thought though, she seems to come back to herself, and her eyes narrow.
Her hands tense, and the claws at the tip of her fingers are readied.

I did some crazy stuff across AIM because I needed to figure out half the results of my turn before I took it. Essentially, it went like this:

Swift Action: Use True Genius to gain the Accursed Overlord effect of the Moonshadow Caste epic destiny (allowing me to bypass Mind-Affecting)
Standard action: Cast True Domination
Spell failed, Isani got hit by some weird effect which she managed to identify.

Now, she's getting ready to go into combat on her next turn and slaughter some birds.

Dorizzit
2011-04-03, 02:41 PM
Craya

Craya shifts her feet and bends backwards slightly as the Phoenix flies into the center of the group. During the resulting eruption, the blast seems to flow harmlessly around her, almost as if she knew exactly where to stand in order to avoid harm. Brushing herself off afterwords, she looks between the two Phoenixes. Seeing Isani's spell rebound, Craya decides to forgo magic and apply her other strengths. She turns from the group.

"Adel of Nagant, I shall assist your bird."

With these words, Craya is enveloped in a massive pillar of flame. Still burning, her true form rockets from the inferno and launches towards the Phoenix attacking the raven. Reaching it in a fraction of a second, the massive dragon slams onto the Phoenix's back and attempts to pin its wings, creating an oddly parallel chain of bodies.

Moving adjacent to the Phoenix and initiating a grapple. Since it is already in a grapple, the grab attempt automatically succeeds and the Phoenix receives no attack of opportunity.

Opposed grapple check to enter the grapple: [roll0]

Cardea
2011-04-07, 10:11 AM
Michael's arrow flies through the 'air', and strikes the phoenix, but the blow does not appear to have had a major effect. It pierces below the feathers, but no blood flows out, and the Phoenix does not seem to pay much attention to it. Instead, its attention is on Isani, and it cries out against her assaults, before its screams of pain turn to laughter. They grow louder as Craya approaches it, as the dragon's claws sink in around it. The dove flies out of its grasp, and it begins to scream again, struggling against the dragon's mighty grasp.

"No! No! This is against the rules!"

Combat:
Initiative Order:
Phoenix One: -
Isani: 38
Michael: 30
Phoenix Two: 28
Crayarklotalkzakaladrax: 27
Kelara: 25
Adel: 15
Map:

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad232/CardeaAfton/PathsNotCrossed-2.jpg?t=1302188756

Eldan
2011-04-07, 01:27 PM
Kelara smiles with tight lips before she springs into action, a single step forward. The small flame in her hand flares up, then changes: it's colour becomes black as coal, and instead of flickering like fire, it almost seems to be a jet of bubbling, hissing liquid, instead, that vanishes three feet from her hand. With an expression of intense concentration on her face, she lashes out with it against the swirling mass of feathers.

Kelara’s full attack, with all buffs.

Swift action: enter Eldritch Horror Stance (+6 STR; +6 CHA, DR 10/cold iron)
Swift Action: Tenebrous’ cold weapon ability
Free Action: five-foot step to U12
Full attack (all attacks are touch, and the target automatically loses Dex to AC. Essences are Vitriolic blast (acid damage, no spell resistance), Utterdark blast (2 negative levels))

B]First attack[/B]
To hit: [roll0] (24 base attack, 11 strength, 6 insight, 5 enhancement, 13 morale, -10 power attack)
Damage:
[roll1] acid damage
[roll2] acid sneak attack damage, Andromalius vestige
[roll3] fire damage, Malphas vestige
[roll4] fire sneak attack, Marchosias vestige
[roll5] cold damage, Tenebrous Vestige

Second attack
To hit: [roll6]
Damage:
[roll7] acid damage
[roll8] acid sneak attack damage
[roll9] fire damage
[roll10] fire sneak attack
[roll11] cold damage

Third attack
To hit: [roll12]
Damage:
[roll13] acid damage
[roll14] acid sneak attack damage
[roll15] fire damage
[roll16] fire sneak attack
[roll17] cold damage

Fourth attack
To hit: [roll18]
Damage:
[roll19] acid damage
[roll20] acid sneak attack damage
[roll21] fire damage
[roll22] fire sneak attack
[roll23] cold damage

Eldan
2011-04-07, 01:30 PM
One critical threat, it seems. Number two.

[roll0]
[roll1]

AmberVael
2011-04-08, 01:54 PM
Isani

Not particularly impressed by the birds so far, and feeling that the others can probably handle them just fine, Isani lowers her hands and just waits, her tail twitching behind her restlessly.

Delaying her turn until either the other phoenix reappears, or the other one actually manages to get away or... do something of important.

Dorizzit
2011-04-08, 06:08 PM
Craya

Craya titanic form towers over the merely quite large Phoenix, clutched tightly in her fore-claws. Although the augmented bird struggles, it can find no escape from her powerful grip. The glowing cracks that spiderweb across the mighty dragon's body glow brighter as she exerts herself. At the cried protestation of the Phoenix, she growls, attempting to bind it still tighter.

"You are beginning to irritate me."

Attempting to pin the Phoenix.

Opposed Grapple roll: [roll0]

M. Mayonnaise
2011-04-08, 06:51 PM
Michael does not appear at all upset that his arrow failed to draw blood - understandable, considering that the others have seen him kill men and beasts before without ever resorting to means as base as inflicting physical wounds. Faced with a foe of unknown strength, however, he decides to resort to less gentle means.

Michael jets away from the mass of feathers that was still growing in the midst of the group, coming to a stop near the fleshy sphere above. He pulls a handful of arrows from one of the quivers at his side, nocking them all at once. The arrows go streaking towards the phoenix in Craya's grasp with incredible precision.

Move action: Flies to G16, remaining at the same elevation.
Swift action: Use Threatening Gaze Sagittarius ability to mark both phoenixes. Until my next turn, they are considered to be flanked for the purposes of my allies' attacks and I can make attacks of opportunity against them with my bow.
Standard action: Use my Greater Manyshot on the Phoenix Craya is grappling. My Improved Precise Shot feat guarantees I won't hit Craya.
Arrow 1: attack [roll0], damage [roll1]
Arrow 2: attack [roll2], damage [roll3]
Arrow 3: attack [roll4], damage [roll5]
Arrow 4: attack [roll6], damage [roll7]
Arrow 5: attack [roll8], damage [roll9]

Cardea
2011-04-14, 08:10 AM
Kelara is quick with her sword, the strange energies becoming enhanced by her an unholy coldness. She swings with precision against the mass, energies of all kinds exploding from each strike against the feathers. They begin to dwindle down, but on the last hit, her blade catches, and is thrown back. While her grip doesn't let go of her weapon, she is hit with a feather, slicing her arm.

Spellcraft DC 24
Intensified Cloud of Knives.

Michael's arrows fly across the distance. Two of them are blown back, but two of them clearly hit the bird... as it grows. The Phoenix in Craya's grasp grows rapidly, to the size of the Dragon. A struggle ensues between her and the Bird, until the Phoenix breaks out from her grasp. "Rulebreakers!"

Spellcraft DC 42
Giant Form.
Combat
Kelara takes 63 points of damage before DR.
Phoenix is no longer in Craya's grip.

Eldan
2011-04-14, 08:49 AM
Spellcraft:
[roll]1d20+37

If that damage used an attack roll:
Flickering Wisp (Su)
Day Caste assassins need fear no blade. At 27th level, whenever you are attacked with a melee or ranged attack, you may make a Reflex save as an immediate action. If the result of the check + your touch AC beats the attack roll, then you may immediately teleport up to 30 ft. away before the attack lands. If it does not beat the attack roll, then you do not teleport away at all.

So, Reflex:
[roll0]

Otherwise:
4/cold iron, 10/magic, 2/adamantine

Ryuuk
2011-04-20, 03:12 PM
Adel

The seen seems to fly out of control around him. How long had he been in Arcadia's peace? He should have been ready, they should have never even layed a hand on them... Aggresors!

Time to catch up. With a quick motion he points at the small dove trying to stay afloat and it begins to change. It's engulfed in an aura of electricity, before erupting into something much bigger. The huge White Raven spreads its wings, sending blue sparks flying. It lets out a loud song, before turning back to Adel and nodding.

Adel then lifts off and lands next to the giant Phoenix in an instant. As he arrives, the White Raven flies into the air and positions himself, calling down a blast of force over the Phoenix.

Not wasting the opportunity, Adel flies up and strikes at it with one of the blades on his forearm. He aims for the head, for the senses more then to deal real damage.

Adel:
Standard Action: Dismiss Polymorph, small white dove becomes huge white raven
Immediate Action: Grant the White Raven a use of White Raven Tactics

Raven:
Move: Fly above the Phoenix, positioning itself so as to not produce friendly fire.
Standard: Force Clinging Breath Weapon, DC 34 Reflex or take [roll0] Force Damage, then half again for 3 rounds. Refresh [roll1]
Swift: White Raven Tactics on Adel

Adel:
Swift: Adopt usual stances (All White Raven + Absolute Steel Stance)
Move: Move into range, tumbling if needed.
Standard: White Raven Hammer
- Attack [roll2] (If AC is below 60, it automatically connects)
- Damage [roll3] + [roll4] + Stun

All within 30ft of Adel get the following:
- Aura of Valor: +13 to damage on a charge (Morale)
- Aura of Alacrity: +30 ft to base land speed
- Aura of Ardor: +13 to melee attack Rolls (Morale)
- Ivory Raven Warmaster: +13 Attacks/AC for until his next round

All within 30ft of the White Raven get:
- +7 Elec Damage on Melee
- +7 to CL vs SR

Dorizzit
2011-04-20, 06:59 PM
Craya

As the Phoenix begins to grow, Craya willingly releases it, not knowing if it would manifest other changes. She had once battled with a shape shifter who had manifested spikes in the middle of a grapple. Since then, she has been much more cautious about such things. The ancient dragon, however, has much more than brute force at her disposal. Hovering in the air, she focuses for a few seconds and draws from the innate wellspring of sorcerous magic possessed by all dragons. With a thought, she shapes the magic into a potent beam of negative magic at the enlarged Phoenix before her.

Casting a targeted Greater Dispel Magic on the Phoenix that just cast Giant Form.

Dispel Check: [roll0]

M. Mayonnaise
2011-04-20, 09:53 PM
Michael's age-old training takes over, as he slips into a smooth pattern of nocking, drawing, and loosing arrows, all in one smooth motion. The arrows glow as they streak towards the now-massive phoenix fighting Craya, like miniature shooting stars.

I'll use a swift action to keep the two phoenixes marked with Threatening Gaze.

Full attack on the enlarged phoenix:
1: attack [roll0], damage [roll1], dispel [roll2]
2: attack [roll3], damage [roll4], dispel [roll5]
3: attack [roll6], damage [roll7], dispel [roll8]
4: attack [roll9], damage [roll10], dispel [roll11]
5: attack [roll12], damage [roll13], dispel [roll14]
6: attack [roll15], damage [roll16], dispel [roll17]

Cardea
2011-04-21, 09:23 AM
Most of Michael's arrows hit onto the Phoenix, creating large wounds in its stomach and abdomen. The magic in the arrows, however, fail to make reduce the Phoenix to its previous size, and the Phoenix glances over at you, as it turns its attention to the Raven. It slams into it, tearing at it with its claws, biting at it and buffeting it with its wings. While each hit doesn't seem to do much... the continuous assault beats down on the bird.

Craya's magic fails to disperse the effect of the Phoenix, failing several feet out from the creature. Kelara's attacks, however, produce a different effect. She lashes out onto the mass of feathers, each hit reducing the amount there, with energies strange and powerful bursting outward with each strike. But on the last hit, her weapon breaks through the feathers, the last few moving away from her. They disappear... and behind the group, the other Phoenix appears. It raises its claws, and shouts out a spell. Light from an unknown source shoots down on to you all, except for Asani and Craya.

Spellcraft DC 39
Quickened Deadly Sunstroke
Map
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad232/CardeaAfton/PathsNotCrossed-3.jpg?t=1303387579
Combat
Everyone but Asani and Craya, you take 128 Fire Damage (DC 44 Reflex Save for Half). If you are immune to Fire, you only take half of what fire damage you would have taken normally.

White Raven takes 247 Points of Damage from 12 Sources. DR applies. 41 Fire Damage in addition.

AmberVael
2011-04-25, 08:18 AM
"There you are!"
Isani says to the newly appeared phoenix, a grin spreading across her face as she raises a clawed hand. In the blink of an eye, she flickers next to it, and then lashes out with her claws. Black, streaming negative energy follows her movement as she drains on her own life to put the phoenix in its place- namely, the grave.

Swift Action: Change up my True Genius granted feature to Burn Life. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5804051&postcount=4)

Eat 30damage to add 60 damage to each attack I hit with until my next round.

Spend 3 inspiration to gain an extra standard action, which she'll use to run right up to the phoenix.

Full attack: spending an inspiration point on each attack to make sure it hits, and another to add +25 damage to each that hits.
Claw 1: [roll0]
Damage: 117
Claw 2: [roll2]
Damage: 121
Bite: [roll4]
Damage: 119

HP: 780/810
Inspiration: 16/25

Cardea
2011-05-01, 12:07 PM
Isani's claws slam into the Phoenix, one after another. The first blow strikes it in the head slamming it backwards, another into it's torso and then finally, in it's legs... tearing off one of it's feet. Michael, seeing the new opening, launches a volley of arrows at the now crippled beast, the arrows running through its body. It burns up a few moments after the arrows leave its body... leaving behind a letter where its head was. The remaining Phoenix attempts to leave, scared at the sight of his ally dying, but his attempt to flee ends in failure.

Craya grabs onto the birds wings, which screams in surprise, as the Dragon binds both of its wings with her talons. Adel, seeing an opportunity, slams his shields into the bird's stomach. Kelara charges across the 'field', cutting into the phoenix with a blade of mixed energies, as Adel runs one final cut into the birds throat. It, like its ally, burns up... its head burning last, leaving behind a similar letter.

Those who can see such things, can detect an overwhelming aura of magic coming from the letters. Same for the Phoenix' claw, which still remains, adrift in the open.

Dorizzit
2011-05-04, 12:42 PM
Craya

Craya growls in victory as the second Phoenix falls, and releases the wings as it is consumed. Releasing a breath as she relaxes, Craya shrinks slowly back into her humanoid form. She brushes herself off, removing a few stains from her dress before stepping forward to examine the letter left behind by the Phoenix she had fought.

Cardea
2011-05-04, 02:16 PM
First Letter
Opening up the regal-looking letter, you begin to read the writing on the paper. It's only a few lines, written in a heavy red, in fine penmanship.

First - The Phoenix - Ae'ura
Second - Knight of King Laeros - Sir Walken
May your memory live on, my old friend.

Eldan
2011-05-04, 02:35 PM
Kelara jumps forward, landing in the air next to the phoenix claw.

"What have we here then...?", she says with a smile.
"Dibs if it's useful."
Carefully, she touches the claw with the tip of her blade.

Cardea
2011-05-05, 07:12 PM
Craya
A man's voice cries out in your head, a few moments after picking up the letter.
"He-.... hello? My Lord? Are you there? What has befallen me?... Oh. You. Why do I know you? I feel like... like you've caused me a great deal of harm. Are you a God? I have heard of your kind before... dragons made of volcanic fury... but... nothing quite as fearsome as you."
Isani
A few moments after Craya grabs hold of the letter, the voices of the blade come back again... but only one stands out. "Go! Go, our Kind Lady! Go and slay the one who no longer resides in the mountains! Slay him, for he has done horrors to our kind! Go! GO!"

Ryuuk
2011-05-07, 11:12 PM
Adel

As the Phoenixes burn up apparently for the last time, Adel stops. He felt off, much more... sluggish... then the last time he raised arms against a foe. He lands back on the ground, looking over his wounds, the Raven joining him in short order.

When was the last time he'd raised arms, anyway? Much too long, it seemed. There was no time for this though. Faltering now would simply prove his fears. He turns to the Raven instead. It's wounds were much heavier. "It won't happen again, my friend."

Still, he kneels down and picks up the second letter, opening it after a few moments. "I... may be faltering. However, this will not happen again." He projects a renewed vigor, and both his and the Raven's wounds begin to heal. "This place is an offense on the senses... and if these creatures were truly mad, then a dangerous one at that. Shall we continue?"

Cardea
2011-05-08, 05:36 PM
Adel
Opening up the regal-looking letter, you begin to read the writing on the paper. It's only a few lines, written in a heavy blue, in fine penmanship.

First - The Phoenix - Or'ilas
Second - Knight of King Laeros - Sir Thurin
May your memory live on, my old friend.

Those Who Read Either Letter
Knowledge: Nobility and Royalty DC 24
While the name of the Knight in question does not ring a bell... the name of the King does. King Laeros of Mephas, one of the Kingdoms that has not been properly tracked down after the disappeared after the Material Plane. Their neighbors, the Kingdoms of Uleis and Grigowdon have been accounted for, and when asked about the inhabitants, as well as the very Kingdom, of Mephas, they described the feeling as "A very dark feeling; like something in the planes died."

Kelara's blade touches the claw, and it slowly drifts in the open space.

Dorizzit
2011-05-08, 06:01 PM
Craya

Craya closes her eyes in concentration, attention focused inward.

Craya focuses her considerable mental power on the intrusion, attempting to discern more.

I am no god. Who are you?

Cardea
2011-05-08, 06:08 PM
Craya
"I am Sir Walken, madame, Knight to King Laeros, may his name reign in Honor of the Gods. If... if you not be a God... who, or... what... are you?"

Dorizzit
2011-05-08, 06:32 PM
Craya

Craya's brow furrows in bewilderment.

I am Crayarklotalkzakaldrax, Pyroclastic Dragon, Wu Jen of the ninth circle, and champion of the Platinum Dragon. Now then, Sir Walken, how was it that you came into my mind?

Cardea
2011-05-08, 06:39 PM
Craya
"I-.... in your mind?... I see... I see it now... You are holding... you are holding Igranthil's Charm. You... you killed the Phoenix, didn't you!?... that means... that means Warmaster Kenzic knows about you!"

Dorizzit
2011-05-08, 06:42 PM
Craya

Craya rapidly processes the new information.

"I see. What is Igranthil's Charm? What is the significance of the Phoenix? Who is Warmaster Kenzic?"

Cardea
2011-05-08, 06:47 PM
Craya
The voice is frantic now. "Y-... you have to understand, Igranthil doesn't know how to imbue his life force with others... so he developed a charm to keep someone alive well past their deaths. It... it grows and festers inside a creature... it didn't go right with the Phoenix... he believed it to be a suitable host for me, but it didn't take!

"Warmaster Kenzic is Igranthil's... guard, for lack a better word... he's... he's a monster..."

Ryuuk
2011-05-10, 12:57 AM
Adel

Reading the letter, then again to make sure, Adel folds it back and puts it as his side. "These two were linked to a kingdom that displaced with the prime... It's of those that haven't been found yet..." He considers the fate they must have suffered if they found themselves here.

He pauses, turning to the others. "Craya, is everything alright?"

AmberVael
2011-05-10, 07:36 AM
Isani

"I would put that letter down, if I were you."
Isani says to Craya.
"There is something hiding in it."
Her eyes flick to Adel.
"And in the one you are holding as well."

Dorizzit
2011-05-10, 08:18 AM
Craya

Craya's eyes remain closed. She holds a hand up to Adel and Isani.

"I am fine. Give me a few moments, if you would."

Mmh. The Phoenix was a host for your mind? Explain the process in more detail. What sort of monster is this Kenzic?

Cardea
2011-05-10, 09:23 AM
Craya
"After... after the... whatever... happened to our Kingdom... my body was torn asunder. Igranthil saved me by storing me like this. He then put me inside the... inside the Phoenix. If... if I were put onto a being of my own kind, it would have worked fine, according to him... but it didn't.

"Instead, it warped his memories. He became fixated on this... on this Lord Upros figurehead... and became madder over time...

"I've... I've only seen him once... and even on the brink of death, I feared him. There is something about him that makes me feel so cold, so... afraid. Not even of death. Not even of what he could do to me. Just... he's... he's something else entirely..."

Dorizzit
2011-05-10, 12:48 PM
Craya

You said that Warmaster Kenzic knew about me because I had slain the Phoenix. Why? Additionally, what do you desire to be done with the charm that houses you?

Cardea
2011-05-10, 03:16 PM
Craya
"The... the charm?... I don't know. I would like to... to return to my family, if Pelor be so kind. But... you... you have to get out of here. Before Warmaster Kenzic decides to find you... please... don't let him find you..."

Dorizzit
2011-05-10, 04:33 PM
Craya

I will keep the charm with me, then. We shall see what results.

Craya finally opens her eyes, looking around at the other members of the party.

"We may have a problem."

Ryuuk
2011-05-10, 04:50 PM
Adel

At Isani's warning, he takes the letter from his side, gives it one last look and puts if back on the ground. He's silent for a moment, but ultimately puts his hand over it and concentrates.

[Paladin's Detect Evil, focused on the letter]

Once Craya seems to have finished, he turns to her. "How so? I thought we already had one when we were attacked by mad fire-birds."

Dorizzit
2011-05-10, 04:54 PM
Craya

Craya turns to Adel.

"I have been...conversing, for lack of a better word, with a human consciousness stored within this charm. According to it, we have alerted an entity known as Warmaster Kenzic to our presence here. Whatever it is, it may represent a threat to us."

M. Mayonnaise
2011-05-16, 05:50 PM
Michael floats serenely behind and just above the rest of the group. He peers off into the distance, bow in hand, keeping an eye out for any potential dangers.

After Craya's warning, he says, "Perhaps. But regardless, we must continue. My people had a saying, 'Our stars do not wait for us.'"

AmberVael
2011-05-16, 06:16 PM
Isani

"I've heard that name before. He would be a very old construct by now, and has changed and improved himself heavily over the years. I imagine he would make a formidable enemy."
Isani taps her lips.
"He has studied undead for a long time, and often intentionally creates them... using whatever supplies he has available, including innocent and sentient creatures. I would venture to guess he is somewhat insane."

Dorizzit
2011-05-16, 06:25 PM
Craya

Craya looks over at Michael to hear his quoted proverb before turning her attention to Isani. She remains silent as the demon relates her knowledge of Warmaster Kenzic. After Isani falls silent, Craya folds her arms and thinks for a few seconds before responding.

"Troublesome, but ultimately, Michael is right. We should be prepared, but we should also begin our search for Moil."

Cardea
2011-05-16, 06:26 PM
Isani
"MISTRESSsssss.... he waiiiittssss.... far... far... ssssouth...."

"Madame. He sits on a floating stone, outside of Moil. He looks at us-"

"Hisss eeeyyyyeessss... sssso piercsssssing...."

"YOU MUST NOT MENTION US WE ARE NOT WELCOME IN HIS PRESENCE."

"He already knowsss!"

"He beckons with his hand."

"He issss faaaaaaar...."

"He lies an hour to the south."

M. Mayonnaise
2011-05-16, 06:54 PM
Michael floats around to where the rest of the group stands, settling lightly on the "ground" next to them. He nods his head at Isani's explanation.

"Thank you for your insight, Lady Isani," he says respectfully, "It may be that Warmaster Kenzic will be offended by our entry into this part of the multiverse. I propose that we continue on our search for now, as time is of the essence. If Warmaster Kenzic involves himself, we can negotiate with him to ensure no violence is necessary."

Michael says this perfectly calmly, seemingly unfazed by the prospect of negotiating with a deranged construct necromancer.

Cardea
2011-05-18, 08:43 PM
Time only seems to be a memory as the five of you move through the vastness of this place. With the glow of the plane behind you, you take the letters and the phoenix claw with you. There are some cries of animals in the distance, or at least, things that mimic them. More strange objects float and drift past you, and after so much time... the glow of the plane starts to dwindle.

Your vision doesn't suffer, however, as things are still visible, and after a while, the strange floating objects disappear, instead... something else replaces them. Floating pieces of stone, with the top half flat and carved in with tiles. As you progress, more and more of these show up, in larger and larger pieces: With the flat half always pointed up. After some time, torches appear on the newer tiles, becoming more and more frequent, until...

If what you were in was darkness, the massive construction before you was made of pure night. From where you are, in between what has now become solid rows of fragmented lit stones, you cannot see where the construction ends: Either to the left, to the right, up or even down; it's as if this... thing... forms one entire corner of this dimension. A ways away, a few hundred feet forward, and twenty feet down, is a 'road'. Made out of the same stones, this time forming a single, solid piece, connecting to the large object. No torches light up this platform.

Instead, a single, large being does, with bright white lights coming off of it, in outlining patterns that section off arms... legs... torso... mouth... and eyes. It looks at your group, and you can hear a laugh, resounding through the darkness.

Ryuuk
2011-05-22, 11:53 AM
Adel

Warmaster Kenzic... Another example to avoid then.

---

Mounted on the raven, Adel watches the being of light at the end of the path carefully. He nods to himself, before flying a bit further ahead, and opening due channels. "Greetings..."

Still, he communicates mentally with the others even as he does so. "Does anyone recognize this being?"

OoC
Knowledge: History [roll0]
Knowledge: Religion [roll1]

Cardea
2011-05-24, 11:59 AM
Appearance of the Being
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad232/CardeaAfton/Kenzic.jpg?t=1306172796

As Adel rides down, the being puts its arm down. It... he, speaks; a hollow, empty, metallic voice, that rings out for a second after each word. "Greetings to yourself. Forgive me if I am wrong, but you go by Adel, yes? The Raven gives you away." He looks up at the rest of the group, and shouts. "Do not worry! I do not bite!"

Eldan
2011-05-24, 12:54 PM
Kelara laughs.
"Would be a bit difficult with that helmet, I imagine!"
The strange landscape is known well enough to her, in it's basics, for she has travelled her regularly, and so, she has turned the phoenix claw over in her hand many times, idly focusing her will on it this way and that, letting fire and other energies flicker over it to see if there is a reaction.
"Now, then, to the point! Who are you, what do you want from us, and what's there to laugh?"

Knowledge Arcana: [roll0]
Knowledge The Planes: [roll1]

Use Magic Device on the claw, if it does anything:
Knowledge Arcana: [roll2]

Ryuuk
2011-05-24, 04:14 PM
Adel

"It stopped being a helmet quite some time ago... That's besides the point though." Turning back to the being, Adel gives him a nod.

"You are correct, but I am afraid I can't give you the same acknowledgment. I find myself echoing my companion's question, who are you?" He pauses, nods slightly, and continues in a lighter tone. "And should I be worried that you know my name?"

Eldan
2011-05-24, 04:38 PM
"Psh. Helmet, head, same thing."
Kelara knocks a gauntleted fist against her own adamantine neck.
"As for the name? Hands up anyone here without telepathy or magic. Anyone? Thought so."

Cardea
2011-05-24, 07:41 PM
"Dammit. he was right." The man says, shaking his head. "While I cannot bite," he says, turning to Kelara. "This is certainly not my helmet. It is still my head. And you are... I hope I'm wrong on this... Kelara, the Mercenary? We were told you were a bit... loud."

"Be worried only if you wish this place, myself, or my charge, harm. I am Warmaster Kenzic, eighty-ninth steel son of the Fourth Forge, and Commander of the Those Who Bask in Life." Kenzic says, standing up straight. "In all honesty, and I hope you'll forgive one such as I for this, but the better question is: What are you doing here? Moil is a very hard place to find, and can only serve a very select few in very dark means. My charge sensed you all as you entered. And, if I'm not mistaken, you have two of his friends on her collective persons?"

Eldan
2011-05-25, 09:32 AM
Kelara grins now.
"Oh, but you are right. I am Kelara the Mercenary. Though I prefer some of my more descriptive nicknames. Ironhand was nice, and also didn't sound as stupid as adamantneck. You can also call me Reaper of the Bloodwar or Fiendblade. I met a Mephit once who called me Worldslayer, but to be fair, he didn't have much of a concept of "world". It was just one small abyssal layer. Are there any new and juicy bits of gossip and legend about me?"

She takes out the phoenix claw and tosses it up and down in her left hand.
"Would this be one of said friends? I was thinking about eating it, actually, or giving it to an alchemist to distill into an immortality potion. Phoenixes should be good for that."

Cardea
2011-05-25, 02:42 PM
"You tore off the claw of a phoenix? This day is not getting any better, nor will it, will it?" Kenzic says, his metallic voice relaying a hint of sarcasm. "But no, they should have been in some form of paper?" A hand bursts out from the ground near Kenzic. It is partially rotted, green and black with decay, and it opens its hand, dropping a piece of paper onto the ground. It retracts back as Kenzic bends down, grabs it, reads it, then looks at five of you.

"Well, looks like I was right about this day. You are all more than welcome to the City of Moil. Keep care though; the City, she is cautious of everything, as is her inhabitants. Flight is restricted, as are those of the Priesthood. If you need me or my Charge, we are in the Komallp Inn. Announce your arrival first, if you would."

"And it would do you all well to cover up any light sources, and that Raven should stay hidden, Adel. There are some here that remember their past lives."

He bows low, and begins to walk towards the dark shape. In the darkness, you all hear a massive shifting of gears, and you hear old, heavy wooden doors opening.

AmberVael
2011-05-28, 09:49 AM
Isani has remained quiet for quite some time now, thinking and plotting. While she knows what she was sent her to do, she is still unsure what she will do. However...

Igranthil has devoted his life to study and knowledge. Surely he would know something of what was occurring in the planes. Perhaps he would know of Possible Intent, and of the strange absence of the Lady of Pain- and if she chose to carry out the will of Possible Intent, her path would still lead to the dwarf.

Before the strange warforged can leave, Isani speaks to him.
"Warmaster Kenzic, I would seek an audience with Igranthil. Will you lead me to him?"

Eldan
2011-05-28, 09:52 AM
"You go ahead, then. I have something to do first."
Kelara whistles to herself as she draws a piece of white chalk from her armour and begins scribbling two large sigils on a nearby wall.

Trying to call both Tenebrous and Acererak for a little chat.

Cardea
2011-05-29, 10:22 AM
The Warforged's steps continue, fading, before coming back. His posture is different; threatening, angry. His steps are slow, and echo across the platform. He raises his arm, and a mass of metal appears in the air in his hand, taking on the form of a greathammer. The light of his eyes flare with his first words. "And what, mi'lady, would you have reason to seek out Igranthil?"

At the edge of the platform, Kelara writes out strange, alien sigils. As she finishes, slivers of white come out of her mouth, as she relaxes into an upright sitting position. Her eyes milk over.

Kelara
The world blurs around you, as the platform you stand on rumbles. From the first set of symbols, a skull forms out of the stone. It rises up, and the black stone turns to white bone, and gems pop into existence for its eyes and teeth. From the second set, the darkness itself seems to stretch, collapsing into a singular impossibly thin shape. You can hear quiet laughter, coarse and cruel, coming from the second one.

"So... this is what Moil has become?" Speaks the shadow.

"It looks like there are unwanted visi- oh... it seems someone has summoned me." The skull says, looking at you for the first time. It smiles, as best as it can. "Have you come to rule this city, She-of-Metal?"

"As if anyone could rule Moil! No, she's come to destroy it, haven't you?" The shadow says, laughing. "What do you require of us, She-of-Metal? Rule? Destruction? Maybe you wish to find a particular shadow?"

Eldan
2011-05-29, 10:32 AM
In Kelara's Head

"Peace, you two. For now, I require neither destruction or rule, and the two are similar enough that one can easily be changed to the other. No, I seek a being here, a dwarf who knows one of the secrets of immortality and wants to trade it away to the city.

What I need is all the knowledge you two have, on the city's layout, it's energies, and the powers that rule it in your absence. It's creator", she nods to the shadow, then to the skull."and it's ruler. The cost... is negotiable, but as always, I can offer you time in the mortal world, in a most powerful body."

Ryuuk
2011-05-29, 07:14 PM
"And it would do you all well to cover up any light sources, and that Raven should stay hidden, Adel. There are some here that remember their past lives."

Adel

It had come out of nowhere, opened the door to many questions, and made him uneasy, yet... "I will... take that warning to heart then..." What else was there to do?

Upon Kenzic's return, he doesn't budge. It seemed clear that the next few moments could very well decide this meeting's outcome. He pauses, looking down and thinking things through. Then he turns back to the being who has readied a weapon. "...and why should mention of the dwarf bring you to arms, Warmaster?"

Cardea
2011-06-01, 04:25 PM
Kelara
"A map of...?" The shadow speaks, confused. he starts laughing, as the skull continues on.

"You want a map of Moil? You can bind our powers, that much is true. But our knowledge is something you can't command. If you want a map..."

"You'll have to pay."

"Dwarf? You think Igranthil is a Dwarf?" Kenzic says, laughing. The lights of his eyes flash blue for a moment. "Igranthil is no Dwarf. Igranthil is... what do you have need of him? Ally? Foe? Prey? Your next words determine your status with me and my own."

Eldan
2011-06-01, 04:30 PM
Kelara growls, annoyed.
"Do not tempt me, shadow, with your empty words. I have offered payment. In all the years I've bound you, I have always delivered what was promised. As I said, name your price."

AmberVael
2011-06-01, 04:36 PM
"For now, I need information from him. Nothing more."
Isani says smoothly, smiling as she crosses her arms behind her back.
"I suggest you take me to him promptly."
Her voice makes it clear that she isn't requesting at this point. Her yellow eyes glitter dangerously, and despite her unimposing stature as compared to Kenzic, that aura of mastery clings to her, spreading across her form like a dangerous shroud.

"I am not one to be kept waiting."

Intimidate, if necessary- result is 82. I automatically get 20s on Intimidate, from Genius Talent.

Cardea
2011-06-04, 09:19 AM
"Then you may go find him yourself. My kind has learned to stay from that mad... thing." Kenzic says, his staff pointing at the ground now. "You may enter Moil, you may travel Moil, but do not expect our assistance in going to that thing. Last we knew, he resided in Ravenscroft Avenue." He takes a step backwards, and his form blurs, then disappears.

Spellcraft DC 29
Stilled Silent Gem Jump

Kelara
The Skull speaks. "Travel through our city, take in what you can, but you must capture a Necromancer. Subdue it, kill it, as long as you can take its body. Do this much, and you may have a map."

Eldan
2011-06-09, 06:00 AM
Kelara opens her eyes with a smile, then claps her hands with a faint metallic ringing noise.
"Right!", she exclaims.
"Gents and Ladies, let's enter Moil! Oh, and if any of you happen to see any dead corpses or skulls, please tell me. I need one as soon as possible."
And with that, she steps into Moil.

Cardea
2011-06-15, 10:35 AM
Kayla gets up, apparently unfazed by... whatever it was that was affecting her. She walks towards where Igranthil was originally walking into, and after a few moments, her footsteps disappear. Following her, darkness envelops your eyes. It covers over where you are, whatever you're in, until it lets up a few minutes later.

Behind you, there is that same black shroud, and before you... is Moil.

The five of you enter onto a city street; it stretches before you far, coming into a sort of plaza. To your left, is side street, and to your right is an alleyway. People move about, ignoring you, all with some sense of direction. Others rush off holding several weapons, another is shouting orders to a group of people in armor and with weapons, who march in sync behind him. People look in from windows in buildings, but an aware observer can tell that none of them look on from the first floor windows: All of them are from the second or third floors.

An aware observer can also tell that the people in the buildings are of an assortment of races, all of the people who are on the street, rushing about, and in uniforms are all Aasimars. They could also tell that they are all wearing the same uniform.

Isani
While you can detect all of these people, you can sense three creatures:

One:

Magical Beast
Intelligence: 15

Two:

Magical Beast
Intelligence: 14

Three:

Living Construct
Intelligence: 28

Kayla
In your head, you can hear some... thing, speak. "Remember our deal..." An image burns into your mind.

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad232/CardeaAfton/Moil.png

Dorizzit
2011-06-20, 10:05 PM
Craya

Craya has remained silent ever since the party's arrival in Moil. She has taken a typically draconic approach to the party's current circumstances: wait, watch, and listen. She remains guarded during the party's brief conversation with Warmaster Kenzic, observing the odd being with a keen eye, and listening carefully to everything he has to say. It would be ill advised to simply ignore the words of one of the city's residents, after all. Moil was not a place to be unguarded in.

As the group enters Moil proper, Craya speaks once again.

"Does anyone know where we're going?"

Eldan
2011-06-21, 02:20 AM
Kelara shrugs.
"As I said, I need a more or less fresh corpse. I can make one, if necessary. Apart from that, if we go down this street, we should get to the main boulevard this side of the rift. We can follow that all the way down, then follow the other fortresses round that damnable hole. Far as I know, all the biggest buildings are on the other side."