PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5]Summoned creatures and animal companions.

Pigkappa
2011-02-24, 02:46 PM
How should the DM handle summoned creatures and animal companions in 3.5? I've met several DMs who let the player who summoned the creature just control it as if it was another character, but I think this makes animal companions and summon monster spells way too powerful and unrealistic.

As a DM, I sometimes control the druid's companion and always control his summoned creatures myself; he can give them just very simple orders as a free action and they don't usually do anything too smart (they usually attack the nearest foe and don't try to flank it with another character, unless they have high Int, which isn't usually the case; they surely don't decide to attack the same target of the rogue if there isn't any good reason to do so). Of course, the Druid isn't too happy with this...

How should summoned creatures work by RAW and by RAI and in your opinion?

Vladislav
2011-02-24, 02:56 PM
By RAW?

Animal companions have a limited list of "tricks" they know. Then, it's a DC10 Handle Animal check to perform a trick they know, or DC25 to perform a trick they don't know, but are physically capable of.

As for summoned monsters:

It attacks your opponents to the best of its ability. If you can communicate with the creature, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions.

Keld Denar
2011-02-24, 03:01 PM
Summoned creatured should be under the direct control of a character. Thats part of the magic. Called creatures, on the otherhand, wouldn't. Likewise, cohorts and animal companions shouldn't.

On the other hand, the DM already has a lot on his plate. Sometimes it is easier to just have the player control the AC or cohort. If the player orders the cohort or AC to do something you don't think it should do, you can always intervene, but for the most part its just easier.

That said, even if an animal isn't smart, its still cunning. Lots of pack animals like wolves understand the virtues of flanking. It wouldn't be out of line for an animal to circle (in the form of regular 5' steps) or move around to bite at an undefended flank. Wild animals do it all the time, why should a moderately domesticated animal behave differently?

Pigkappa
2011-02-24, 06:54 PM
It wouldn't be out of line for an animal to circle (in the form of regular 5' steps) or move around to bite at an undefended flank. Wild animals do it all the time, why should a moderately domesticated animal behave differently?

It would be out of line for an animal to choose how to flank an opponent to help the rogue rather than the paladin to flank it...

Keld Denar
2011-02-24, 07:01 PM
Not if you trained it as such. If you took the time to work with the rogue and the companion, it wouldn't be hard. Most animals can differentiate between individuals. If it can do that, you could probably teach it to preferentially flank with the rogue.

tuesdayscoming
2011-02-24, 07:03 PM
Animal companions behave normally for a creature of their type, but are rather fond of their 'master', performing small tasks for him. RAW, I'd say that the AC is always under DMs control, but this is often hand waved.

A bit off topic, but what about familiars? I just skimmed the SRD page again, but I can't find any indicators as to who should be 'in control' of their behavior.

For that matter, what about the Arcane Hierophant's Companion Familiar (Familiar Companion?)? If they were under the 'master's' direct control, that would actually be a significant increase in the power of the AC class feature...

Pigkappa
2011-02-24, 07:08 PM
Not if you trained it as such. If you took the time to work with the rogue and the companion, it wouldn't be hard. Most animals can differentiate between individuals. If it can do that, you could probably teach it to preferentially flank with the rogue.

Yeah, but that should definitely involve some Handle Animal check, and it is hardly applicable to a summoned creature who has never seen the Druid before.

Akal Saris
2011-02-24, 07:39 PM
Well, at that point you're arguing a very specific situation, and it depends a lot on the summoned creature.

A summoned unicorn, for example, is certainly intelligent enough to understand the difference between a rogue and a paladin, and to flank with the rogue if ordered to do so. Ditto for the vast majority of devils, demons, and celestials. Even a 4 Int elemental can probably understand "flank with the small guy, not the big guy," even if it doesn't understand why the summoner wants it to do so.

A Speak With Animals spell could also allow a PC to get summoned animals to do what she wants as well.

Telea-Rose
2012-01-06, 07:26 AM

If you are still working with a pack predatory animal like a wolf you wouldn't have to really work with the rogue any. If an animal has been allowed to work with in pack structure then they will generally pick up immediately to what they should be doing if they are moderately intelligent and have a good hand for it. I only say this because I have raised and fostered dogs from lots of different backgrounds and it hasn't matter how old they are, I can generally introduce them to working in pack structure after a month or so of living with me in my apartment. Time dependent on the animal's intelligence, certain situations, if I have a another pack animal, ect. This is tested when I take them to my parents place and they run with my parent's pack. They usually fall in line after one run, thus I would place that at one battle with the first group you run into. Again time varies by lots of factors.

Sorry if that was a lot, but I'm joining a new group and one of the members believes you can't use an animal to scout for you because the animal can't directly say in common that there are so many people in a so many feet. Obviously I don't expect great detail from a scout animal, but they can definitely tell you there are people out there and can warn you as you get closer and other such things.

As far as how to DM the situation you can get your person to try something like I plan. I will outline in my character write up some specifics about how my animal and I interact for this next campaign. That way I can show it to my DM and it will act as a written contract for how I can communicate with my animal. That way our other member can't say I'm changing for the situation. Obviously as the plot grows I can change it with they DM's say so, but that will be limited.