PDA

View Full Version : What worlds would you like to see in a Kingdom Hearts Campaign?

Raynn
2011-02-24, 03:29 PM
I'm currently running a Kingdom Hearts Campaign for friends between games with the rest of our roleplaying group and I'm a little stuck on what disney properties to draw on.

The campaign world is essentially the kingdom hearts game setting but 200 years early just prior to the legendary Keyblade War. This difference in era also means that most of the disney settings in the main game no longer fit so I was wondering if you great playgrounders would have some ideas.

So, any ideas for Disney movies not yet seen in Kingdom hearts and how they could work as worlds to visit or takes on the worlds shown already but what they may have been like 200 years ago? All ideas welcome, thank you.:smallsmile:

Geiger Counter
2011-02-24, 03:34 PM
the black cauldron

pilvento
2011-02-24, 03:36 PM
the black cauldron

dam, stoled from my mouth....

im a big fan of KH but the best KH will be the NO DISNEY KH really, dont u think so? make ur own worlds man....

slaydemons
2011-02-24, 03:36 PM
the land of departure from kh birth by sleep :D

Raynn
2011-02-24, 03:48 PM
pilvento: Of course some of the worlds will be original but my players are massive kingdom hearts fans so they are expecting some degree of disney.

Geiger Counter: Good idea, I'll probably end up using it.

slaydemons: The Academy they started at was set in the Land of Departure so that world is actually the only one to make an appearance already in the campaign.

slaydemons
2011-02-24, 03:51 PM
The Academy they started at was set in the Land of Departure so that world is actually the only one to make an appearance already in the campaign.

AM HAPPY now do deep space and fight countless creatures (aka unversed) :D

pilvento
2011-02-24, 03:52 PM
in that case ill reveal you my secret weapon of diney for a KH campain.

teasure planet! (dont know the exact name, im my country it was "el planeta del tesoro" lol)

u know pirate spaceships in space etc...

Raynn
2011-02-24, 03:57 PM
slaydemons: No deep space, before the keep blade world there was no gaps between the worlds. I'm thinking of a massive open space like an empty realm between them though for this game.

pilvento: Good idea, and I'm pretty sure that is the exact english name.

Rankar
2011-02-24, 04:05 PM
Use Disneyland/world in our world. They arrive to find the park filled with what appear to be mindless zombies or entrhalled humans who're subject to the whims of a giant mouse. Been trying to find a decent map of a Disney park to do this myself actually.

Kris Strife
2011-02-25, 06:58 AM
Robin Hood and The Incredibles. :smallbiggrin:

Tengu_temp
2011-02-25, 07:37 AM
Song of the South.

Friv
2011-02-25, 09:51 AM
Snow White would seem to be a classic that hasn't been touched on yet. I would vote for that one. Good villain-boss, a few areas of varying degrees of creepy or cool, and a princess for heart purposes.

Gnoman
2011-02-25, 10:15 AM
101 Dalmatians would be interesting. Toy Story might count as Disney (not sure how things worked between Disney and Pixar then.) Mulan, perhaps.

Kris Strife
2011-02-25, 10:17 AM
Snow White would seem to be a classic that hasn't been touched on yet. I would vote for that one. Good villain-boss, a few areas of varying degrees of creepy or cool, and a princess for heart purposes.

Birth by Sleep has the Snow White as one of the early game worlds.

I'd also like to see Darkwing Duck show up, but that's probably just me. :smallbiggrin:

Friv
2011-02-25, 01:37 PM
Oh, good to know. I've never played any of the PSP-edition games, and Chain of Memories just re-used the earlier ones. That's the only classic Disney movie that hasn't appeared, really. I mean, Dumbo only appeared as a summon, but really, who wants to run a game set in Dumbo?

Oh, wait, what about the Jungle Book?

Gnoman - Mulan's been used, as well.

tbarrie
2011-02-25, 02:21 PM
im a big fan of KH but the best KH will be the NO DISNEY KH really, dont u think so?

How would that work, exactly? Visiting Disney worlds is kind of the whole point of Kingdom Hearts.

pilvento
2011-02-25, 03:04 PM
How would that work, exactly? Visiting Disney worlds is kind of the whole point of Kingdom Hearts.

if the hole point is that then go play Disney games, i mean the game is awesome but more the seriousness and epicness of scuare enix is aten alive by the disney charaters. i know lots of people that recognice KH as one of the best ps2 games but they cant stand the fact that goofy and donalds are in ur party and mickey is an epic ninja.

in KH2 Cloud from FF7 goes into the one wing angel state to avenge goofy being hit by a rock!

Daftendirekt
2011-02-25, 03:08 PM
the black cauldron

Ah, one of the oft-forgotten gems of Disney, containing one of the most badass villains ever. Srsly, what other Disney movie has A LICH?!??!

Friv
2011-02-25, 03:19 PM
in KH2 Cloud from FF7 goes into the one wing angel state to avenge goofy being hit by a rock!

Which is an amazing moment.

Also amazing is Goofy getting to smack Squall in the head several times until he goes down. Stupid Squall.

pilvento
2011-02-25, 03:27 PM
Which is an amazing moment.

Also amazing is Goofy getting to smack Squall in the head several times until he goes down. Stupid Squall.

Disney over FF... i cant be part of this thread any more.

Comet
2011-02-25, 03:29 PM
To be fair, though, if you take the Disney out of Kingdom Hearts you might as well be playing Final Fantasy or any generic JRPG with bothered teenagers fighting to survive in a world of weird names and too many belts.

The mix and match is the entire point and the most awesome thing about the entire series. King Mickey is the best part of Kingdom Hearts 2!

Randel
2011-02-25, 04:38 PM
How about Robotropolis from Sonic SatAM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4jd0UWGPgY)?

Robotnik has taken over the Kingdom of Acorn, has been turning the captured inhabitants into robots, ammased an army of swatbots, and is aiming to conquer the world with recklass abandon for any damage he may cause.

The Feedom Fighters are staging attacks but then the Heartless show up and cause even more trouble. Robotnik might pretend to take an Enemy Mine stance and help out the heroes and Freedom Fighters to stop the Heartless (even pointing out that Robotisized creatures resist being turned into Heartless). But its pretty easy to assume that Robotnik would turn on the Heroes once the threat is beaten (assuming he doesn't just try to use the Heartless for himself).

Maybe the kingdom from Tangled... help the kingdom fight against the invading Heartless while tracking down Rapunzel and Mother Gothel. Rapunzels hair (which contains the power of a drop of sunlight) can be used to heal people who lost their Hearts but Mother Gothel wants to hoard the power for herself (she's used it to stay young for centuries and if she can't have it for a week or so then she returns to her normal age and dies horribly).

Doctor Horribles Sing-Along Blog. Heartless are attacking the City... is Doctor Horrible and the Evil Leage of Evil going to fight them or harness them for Evil? Can the players stand to work with Captain Hammer for more than ten minutes (despite the fact that he's completly invulnerable and can fight the Heartless with no fear or injury)?

Wall-E. The Earth was trashed and all the humans left... there may be Heartless there or they may be 'starving' with nobody to attack. The Axiom has been flying for centuries with the robotic crew keeping it operational. Auto has detected the Heartless ships and is constantly avoiding them and using the EVE and security robots to dal with any who reach the ship. However... the Axiom makes an excelent fortress and refugee ship. Can the players convince Auto to use the ships resources to help people or will they let him focus entirly on keeping the human inhabitants safe? ("My Prime Directive is to ensure the survival of those on this ship. Fighting the Heartless has a lower chance of sucess than retreate." "We don't want to survive! We want to LIVE!")

Drascin
2011-02-25, 04:55 PM
if the hole point is that then go play Disney games, i mean the game is awesome but more the seriousness and epicness of scuare enix is aten alive by the disney charaters. i know lots of people that recognice KH as one of the best ps2 games but they cant stand the fact that goofy and donalds are in ur party and mickey is an epic ninja.

Uh, no. Not by a long shot. Goofy and Donald are much more entertaining as characters and partners than Cloud is. A Kingdom Hearts with zero Disney influence would be a Kingdom Hearts I wouldn't buy. Among the best parts of Birth By Sleep was teaming up with mother-effing-Stitch, for example, and Maleficent could give most JRPG villains some classes in what villaining whith style means.

And, so many games later, King Mickey is still the best character in the whole series :smalltongue:.

Anyway, back to the question in the OP - Darkwing Duck and Gargoyles would be favorites, to be honest. The idea of Goliath's clan versus the Heartless just makes my inner child stand up and start clapping in anticipation.

tbarrie
2011-02-25, 05:45 PM
i know lots of people that recognice KH as one of the best ps2 games but they cant stand the fact that goofy and donalds are in ur party and mickey is an epic ninja.

No doubt. And I'm sure there are lots of people like me, who found the Disney worlds cute and engaging but wanted to poke their eardrums out whenever those ridiculous-looking pointy-haired people took centre stage, because the dialogue was so unremittingly awful.

Toy Story might count as Disney (not sure how things worked between Disney and Pixar then.)

Well, since we're discussing a home game and not a new official Kingdom Hearts game, it doesn't really matter. Anything Pixar should be fine. And as Randel suggests, there's no reason you couldn't throw in completely non-Disney worlds if they seemed appropriate.

dragonfan6490
2011-02-25, 05:50 PM
I second the Gargoyles suggestion. You also have some of the best and most complex villains in a Disney show ever in Gargoyles.

tbarrie
2011-02-25, 06:44 PM
I second the Gargoyles suggestion. You also have some of the best and most complex villains in a Disney show ever in Gargoyles.
Yeah, the Disney animated TV shows offer a wealth of possibilities. Duck Tales (or better yet, the original Carl Barks comics) would obviously fit, and you could use Kim Possible or TaleSpin as well.

Come to think of it, using both TaleSpin and The Jungle Book would be kind of freaky and cool.

Randel
2011-02-25, 09:44 PM
Hmm, in the Kingdom Hearts games Chip and Dale run the Gummi Ship operation for Disney Castle. If you add the Chip 'n Dales Rescue Rangers show to the universe then maybe Gadget, Monterey Jack, and Zipper are with them as well.

You could assume that the Rescue Rangers world fell into Darkness (in which case you might run into Heartless versions of villains from that world... though Nimnul and Winifred might have a chance of making it to other worlds). I was pretty fond of Rescue Rangers when I was a kid.

Also, if we're accepting cartoon shows then maybe Tiny Toons and Animaniacs could be used as well (Pinky and the Brain at the very least!). The movie Anastasia (the one where Rasputan is an undead Lich guy with a bat sidekick) isn't disney but could pass for one.

Then, if you want you can borrow some ideas from Epic Mickey. The Mad Doctor and his beetleworx robots working with the Phantom Blot. The wasteland in that game looks like what a hollowed-out world would look like after the Heartless ravage it (you could say its an unusually sturdy world that didn't simply vanish after the Heartless ate it). In the game, the Mad Doctor was a Beetleworx robot and had a plan where the Phantom Blot would eat everyone on the planet except the Beetleworx like himself... so Mad Doctor could have a similar plan with the Heartless.

Also, Who Framed Roger Rabbit could allow crossovers between Disney and other worlds. Not sure how the Dip from Who Framed Roger Rabbit would fit into a cartoon cosmology with the Heartless but I'm sure it would be awesome.

tbarrie
2011-02-25, 11:02 PM
Hmm, in the Kingdom Hearts games Chip and Dale run the Gummi Ship operation for Disney Castle.

Speaking of the Gummi Ship, you could say that the Gummi Bears' world was already destroyed, but that the Bears' bodies were salvaged by Chip 'n' Dale and processed into cubes to make ships out of!

Or not.

Then, if you want you can borrow some ideas from Epic Mickey.

Really, if the campaign is supposed to be set well before the official Kingdom Hearts games, it would make a lot of sense to have all your worlds be based on golden age animation (like Oswald the Rabbit and his contemporaries). Not sure how much fun that would be if the players aren't familiar with that era, though.

stainboy
2011-02-26, 03:34 AM
Song of the South.
This.

Also Pleasure Island. Task the players with collecting delinquents from other worlds to fill the salt mines.

true_shinken
2011-02-26, 10:04 AM
You must have Spiderman's New York.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-26, 10:13 AM
A world of Popeye the Sailor would be neat, along with Koko the Clown and Betty Boop.
Alice in Wonderland? As in the actual Alice and Wonderland, not Disney's rather treacly adaptation. Its not as weird as Tim Burton, its still plenty twisted in its own broken music box way.
Its contemporary with Disney, but Daffy Duck, Bugs Bunny and others from Termite Terrace?
**** Tracy?
Star Trek?
Star Wars? If you can have Darth Vader in Soul Calibur, why not Kingdom Hearts?

Kris Strife
2011-02-26, 10:22 AM
You must have Spiderman's New York.

Sony still has the rights to Spiderman movies.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-26, 10:25 AM
And Kingdom Hearts is owned by ( I think) Square Enix. This isn't a question for an actual video game, just a role playing game campaign set in, basically, the same IP. It's fan fiction, more or less.

Kris Strife
2011-02-26, 10:28 AM
And Kingdom Hearts is owned by ( I think) Square Enix. This isn't a question for an actual video game, just a role playing game campaign set in, basically, the same IP. It's fan fiction, more or less.

OP is asking specifically for Disney.

Eldan
2011-02-26, 10:29 AM
Well, Mickey Noir was awesome when I was a kid, but I doubt it was ever published outside of the German-speaking countries. Also, I doubt murder mysteries and horror stories work well with KH.

Scrooge McDuck can give Indiana Jones a run for his money in a lot of stories. Trap-filled temples?

Alternatively: the Disney reimagining of Lord of the Rings was a fun read when I was a kid. They did have pretty creepy Nazgul.

true_shinken
2011-02-26, 10:39 AM
And Disney owns Marvel and Marvel has the rights to Spiderman comics.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-26, 10:42 AM
Alternatively: the Disney reimagining of Lord of the Rings was a fun read when I was a kid. They did have pretty creepy Nazgul.
I have never heard of this, I am almost afraid to ask but, tell me more.:smalleek:

OP is asking specifically for Disney.

Oh poot, there goes all my ideas.:smallfrown:

Eldan
2011-02-26, 10:45 AM
Ah, it was a German comic. So, once again probably never published outside.

Here, the German licenser publishes an about 250 page comic book every month, and when I still read them (12, 15 years ago?) they did both a lot of epic fantasy and "re-imagining" famous literature with Disney characters. I remember that there was some Schiller in there, and one was a version "Les Miserables". Anyway, one story, a pretty long one, was very clearly inspired by Lord of the Rings, with all the names changed and the plot cut down to half the length. It involved Donald Duck as "Frodo", Scrooge McDuck as "Bilbo" and Mickey Mouse as "Aragorn", basically. All the basics were there: ancient lord of evil rising again, mystical artefact of power found in a peaceful, remote region, which had to be destroyed, mysterious ranger leading the group to the land of evil to destroy it, dragon-mounted, black-hooded wraiths out to hunt them.

Vknight
2011-02-26, 10:47 AM
I have never heard of this, I am almost afraid to ask but, tell me more.:smalleek:

Oh poot, there goes all my ideas.:smallfrown:

Well the first 1 was a decent movie that wrapped up the first two books it was kind of fast though but still ok.
The third one was a musical so... yeah it failed horribly.

Don't worry you'll think of something

Eldan
2011-02-26, 10:47 AM
Well the first 1 was a decent movie that wrapped up the first two books it was kind of fast though but still ok.
The third one was a musical so... yeah it failed horribly.

Don't worry you'll think of something

That's the Ralph Bakshi cartoon. I'm talking about Disney comics.

Vknight
2011-02-26, 10:52 AM
Ah well I messed up. Wait there are Disney comics?

Eldan
2011-02-26, 11:03 AM
In Europe? Yes. Germany puts tons of several weekly magazines, monthly books and complilations of old comics. The situations are similar in Italy, Denmark, France... Disney comics are big in Europe.

Vknight
2011-02-26, 11:06 AM
Not in Europe. Canadian living in the states.
Well ok maybe when I'm in France later this year I'll see some of them.

true_shinken
2011-02-26, 11:12 AM
There were Disney comics in Brazil as well. They were awesome, specially Zé Carioca - the brazilian Disney character, written by brazilian people. A lot better than his first time on screem, where he confuses samba with rumba and smokes a cigar (we hardly ever see cigars here).

Dust
2011-02-26, 02:01 PM
Robin Hood. (http://www.cornel1801.com/disney/Robin_Hood/Robin_Hood_trivia_0.jpg)
Monster's Inc. (http://images1.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Randall-Boggs-Monster-s-Inc-disney-villains-1038350_600_330.jpg)
Up. (http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/images/upload/Up-Charles-Muntz-web.jpg)
The Great Mouse Detective. (http://animatedviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Basil-Mist-04.jpg)
Atlantis - The Lost Empire. (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_FnbeJliHKFo/S8i5S1QHgWI/AAAAAAAAAVE/4QBWy-NT6NM/s1600/Atlantis02.jpg)

Is it obvious I've thought about this before?

Kris Strife
2011-02-26, 02:17 PM
Recess, possibly in place of the Winnie the Pooh.

And this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRShLb49EhI&feature)

Vknight
2011-02-26, 03:47 PM
The Great Mouse Detective. (http://animatedviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Basil-Mist-04.jpg)

Is it obvious I've thought about this before?

How could I forget the Detective of all people!
Also yes yes it is but we forgive you.

Also you can use Muppets because they are owned by Disney.
So that means 'The Great Muppet Caper', 'Muppets Christmas Carol', 'Muppets Treasure island' and all other sorts of epicness.

Example
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g173/Katt_03/interests/yoda.jpg