PDA

View Full Version : Better range on throwing weapons

Flickerdart
2011-02-24, 05:50 PM
I'm making a throwing weapon character (planning to go the Swift Hunter route) that will be starting at 4th level. However, range on throwing weapons is abysmal - throwing hammers (20ft) is the best I have been able to find, and my attack bonus isn't so great as to lose more due to increasing range increments. Budget is a problem, so currently my weapons are all mundane. What are the ways out there that increase range increments on throwing weapons?

tuesdayscoming
2011-02-24, 05:54 PM
Are you looking for long term solutions (Prestige Classes, expensive weapon properties, etc.)? Or more for things that you could realistically implement at level 4?

There are a lot fewer of the latter :\

Flickerdart
2011-02-24, 06:05 PM
Long term solutions are fine - I have my build planned as Ranger 6/Scout 4, but anything beyond that is open. However, anything immediately useful is also good!

Cerlis
2011-02-24, 06:17 PM
well, you can throw weapons at double range for a -1 penalty though right?

Flickerdart
2011-02-24, 06:20 PM
It's a -2 penalty, but the problem is that I'm using a homebrew version of Point-Blank Shot which gives me +2 to attack and +1d6 to damage within my first range increment, something that I don't want to give up.

Isn't there simply a throwing weapon somewhere with a better range?

tuesdayscoming
2011-02-24, 06:28 PM
Can Cragtop Archer (RoS) or Deepwood Sniper (umm... MotW?) be applied to thrown weapons? I think they both can.

TurtleKing
2011-02-24, 06:39 PM
Ways to increase the range of your thrown weapons is for one get Far Shot. It doubles the range increment of thrown weapons. Another thing is to get a sling which are cheap. It counts as a thown weapon when slinging your bullets with it and has a range increment of 50 ft. If you invest in the Gnome Calculus which is a larger sling that allows you to also sling flasks.

So using Far Shot+the Homebrew Point Blank Shot with a Gnome Calculus slinging a Alchemist's Fire flask out to 100 ft with a +2 to attack and +1d6 damage on your splash?

Edit: Gnome Calculus is an exotic weapon from the Arms and Equipment Guide.

ProfMoriarty
2011-02-25, 06:19 PM
There is an item for 2000gp that will double the range of any weapon you throw. From the Magic Item Compendium there are Gauntlets of Extended Range. This should work for level 4.

Gnoman
2011-02-25, 06:32 PM
You could go with the Distance ability. That doubles the range increment at the cost of a +1 bonus. You'ld probably want Returning as well so that you didn't lose a valuable weapon, which would be another +1, making a +3 weapon. This would be quite long term, however.

TIPOT
2011-02-25, 07:06 PM
Javelins have a range of 30ft if that helps :smallwink:

Sith_Happens
2011-02-26, 05:50 AM
Javelins have a range of 30ft if that helps :smallwink:

Which is especially nice thanks to the Gloves of Endless Javelins in the MIC. Though the 7000 gp price tag is slightly out of reach for a 4th level character, it shouldn't be that long before you have an infinite supply of +1 javelins made of force (and generatable as a free action so you don't need Quick Draw).

Zaq
2011-02-27, 05:45 AM
Annulats (Planar Handbook) have a range of 30 feet. Neraphim are automatically proficient with them (OK, technically, they treat them as martial instead of exotic, but since neraphim are outsiders, they're proficient with all martial weapons! Cool, huh?) and make excellent thrown weapon users thanks to their Neraph Camouflage ability. If your race isn't set in stone, you might want to check them out.

Coidzor
2011-02-27, 06:30 AM
Which is especially nice thanks to the Gloves of Endless Javelins in the MIC. Though the 7000 gp price tag is slightly out of reach for a 4th level character, it shouldn't be that long before you have an infinite supply of +1 javelins made of force (and generatable as a free action so you don't need Quick Draw).

There is an item for 2000gp that will double the range of any weapon you throw. From the Magic Item Compendium there are Gauntlets of Extended Range. This should work for level 4.

10K gp, 60' increment +1 javelins of force. Nifty.

Darrin
2011-02-27, 12:17 PM

There are two magic items that give you the benefit of the Far Shot feat:

Helm of the Hunter (9000 GP, MIC p. 194)
Horizon Goggles (8000 GP, Complete Mage p. 133)

Or buy a wand of guided shot (750 GP, Rgr/Sor/Wiz 1, Spell Compendium). Swift action to cast, no penalties for range, and you can ignore any AC bonus less than total cover and any miss chance other than total concealment. Put this wand in a wand chamber (100 GP, Dungeonscape), or keep it in a Glove of the Master Strategist (3600 GP, Ghostwalk).

Chuckthedwarf
2011-02-27, 01:27 PM
Far Shot [General]

When you use a projectile weapon, such as a bow, its range increment increases by one-half (multiply by 1½). When you use a thrown weapon, its range increment is doubled.

PHB/srd, obviously enough.

Also, javelin (also PHB...) has 30 foot range increment.