PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Pieces of Zombie Apocalypse Survival Gear

Darkxarth
2011-02-24, 08:04 PM
What are the top 5 things you would take with you in order to survive the zombie apocalypse?

You can only list things that you own, and no fair listing backpacks full of various supplies or bug-out kits, even if they are sitting right beside you.

1. Shovel
2. Leatherman
3. Cell phone
4. The Zombie Survival Guide
5. Lighter

CynicalAvocado
2011-02-24, 08:19 PM
bow
arrows
road flares
lighter
entrenchment tool

bow and arrows- reusable/easy to make ammo

road flares- signaling in event or rescue

lighter- starting fire(s)

entrenchment tool(yes, i have one.)- dig latrines and graves and use as a weapon

arguskos
2011-02-24, 08:20 PM
Top 5 Things I've got on hand in case of zombie apocalypse? I'm kinda assuming slow zombies.

1. My weaponry. I've got a small arsenal of cutting weapons that would give me a decent back-up against the undead, and with Dad's firearms, we could do alright against stuff. Not amazingly, but alright. Of course, if they're virus zombies, this is far less relevant, but if they're non-infectious, then I'm golden.
2. My car, while gas was available. My bike, after that. Transport faster than a zombie is good. :smallbiggrin:
3. My variety of multi-tools and actual tools (I have quite a collection).
4. My collection of journals. Someone has to document the end of the world, and might as well be me. I'm great at running away from things, if nothing else, and I'm a good chronicler.
5. I... dunno. I can access a lot of fire on short notice. I guess that? Sorry, these threads aren't my thing really.

Eldan
2011-02-24, 08:25 PM
A lighter will run out too fast. I'll go with a big box of matches. or that solar-powered flashlight I have (haha, I know the joke. It still works). Weapons are right out. I can't fire a ranged one, and if I get into melee with anyone, I'm dead anyway.

So:
1. Hiking boots. There will be a lot of walking, and I need these.
2. Coat. It's still way below freezing here, and is for most of the year. Even during summer, you don't want to sleep outside without a coat.
3. Knife. A good swiss army knife, if that counts, as the various tools are useful. Needle, can-opener, saw, lockpick could all be useful.
4. One kilo box of matches. Those are available here and I'd rather have those than a lighter.
5. The boyscout book I still have lying around (was a corporal for a few years). Edible plants, reading tracks, basic medicine... I can do most of it anyway (especially the plants, as a biologist), but it helps to have a reference handy.

Jack Squat
2011-02-24, 09:27 PM
1. Knife, specifically my Gerber LMF II. A good fixed blade knife is easily the most useful tool to have out in the wilderness.
2. Metal USGI 1 qt canteen. Better than plastic because you can boil water
3. My water filter (though not strictly necessary, it'll certainly come in handy when I don't want to filter through sand and then boil)
4. Big box of matches - for the same reason as Eldan. besides, starting a fire with a bic is a PITA
5. snare wire. If you know what you're doing, it's a great way to gather small game.

If I may ask, in a situation where the infrastructure holding society together together has collapsed, what use is a phone?

ScottishDragon
2011-02-24, 09:31 PM
1. My katana: yeah no guns in this house so gonna hafta take down zombies with something, plus it's quiet.
2. My shortbow: also to take down zombies. it's no.2 because I am a horrible aim.
3. My bike: Theres only so much gas left in an apocalypse so I need something.
4. My tent: First thing i'm going to do is head up to mountains and find a nice river with some food nearby.
5. A tinderbox: Yeah lasts a long time and i'm going to need fire of a sort.

Eldan
2011-02-24, 09:35 PM
1. Knife, specifically my Gerber LMF II. A good fixed blade knife is easily the most useful tool to have out in the wilderness.
2. Metal USGI 1 qt canteen. Better than plastic because you can boil water
3. My water filter (though not strictly necessary, it'll certainly come in handy when I don't want to filter through sand and then boil)
4. Big box of matches - for the same reason as Eldan. besides, starting a fire with a bic is a PITA
5. snare wire. If you know what you're doing, it's a great way to gather small game.

If I may ask, in a situation where the infrastructure holding society together together has collapsed, what use is a phone?

Well, I'll be damned. Here I am, forgetting a canteen or pot. Interestingly, I got almost a full set of military equipment (sans uniform and weapons) at recruitment, even though they didn't take me, so I have a three-part metal canteen I could take. Book out, canteen in. So, it's:

1. Knife
2. Coat
3. Canteen
4. Shoes
5. Matches

I probably wouldn't need the canteen for water, since in this country you can't walk a hundred meters without tripping over a clean, drinkable brook, but I could cook in it.

Dienekes
2011-02-24, 09:35 PM
1) Light armor: I'm facing fists and teeth, this should protect me nicely
2) A mace: Light enough to keep swinging with, and since the job is to bash in the scull, probably more useful than a cutting weapon. Last ditch weapon held in reserve for when you need to save ammo
3) Guns and ammo: Killing things, it's what they do
4) Book on farming: I don't know how to farm, somewhere down the line we'll need to learn to make crops again.
5) plethora of seeds: To make the crops.

Eldan
2011-02-24, 09:37 PM
Well, hunting or farming isn't my concern, really. Can't do either well, so I'll go with raiding, edible plant stew, worms and insects.

Alternatively instead of my canteen: Boyscout felt hat (looks like a mountie hat, for those not knowing scout hats). I've cooked soup in it before, it does nicely and hats are useful.

Geno9999
2011-02-24, 09:40 PM
1: A hammer
2: Flashlight
3: sleeping bag
4: Bike
5: A box of matches.

Currently, my zombie plan is to stuff a couple of canned food into my backpack, bike over to a nearby barn (I live in a rural area, so it shouldn't be too hard.) Get in, climb up to the upper level, pull up ladder/destroy ladder and basically camp there. Though, considering where I live, Zombies would be hard to come by since, you know, there isn't a lot of people here.

Dienekes
2011-02-24, 09:40 PM
Well, hunting or farming isn't my concern, really. Can't do either well, so I'll go with raiding, edible plant stew, worms and insects.

Alternatively instead of my canteen: Boyscout felt hat (looks like a mountie hat, for those not knowing scout hats). I've cooked soup in it before, it does nicely and hats are useful.

Gotta plan long term, if nothing else can give you the necessary will power to keep going. Unfortunately for me (assuming I don't get eaten in the first 5 minutes, being chubby with a bad knee and back does not make my chances of survival high) that probably means learning how to farm.

Marillion
2011-02-24, 09:51 PM
1: Knife, for various utility needs.
2: Hiking boots. Walking everywhere will get really old really fast (heck, it already is :smalltongue:) but good shoes make all the difference in the world.
3: My dog. Loyal, smart, well trained, and formidable in a fight if he needs to be. He can also sniff out small game/food storage spots/impending zombies, and in a life-or-death scenario can serve as a distraction to the zombies or a last resort for food. (Sorry pal, I love you but I gotta live:smallfrown:)
4: A backpack, for carrying and storing food and supplies that I scavenge.
5: A box of matches, to create FIAH.

Creed
2011-02-24, 09:54 PM
1:Matches
2:Machete
3:Backpack
4:Combat boots
5:The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks(?)

TheThan
2011-02-24, 10:01 PM
Aside from what I normally carry, this is what I’d carry.
1: Survival knife with sharpener
2: 100 feet of 550 paracord
3: 1 quart Canteen or water bottle
4: Fire starting kit
5: maps and compass

rayne_dragon
2011-02-24, 10:04 PM
1. Some sort of weapon is almost mandatory. Preferably something with the potential to be used in other circumstances. A shovel, crowbar, or machete would be my choice. The shovel seems the most useful to me personally, given my location and skills.

2. Something proctive makes sense too. A good leather trenchcoat should provide nice coverage while being lightweight and functional.

3. Sensible hiking boots. Too many bad things can happen if you're not wearing the right footwear.

4. A Knife. Not good for fighting zombies, but a sharp blade is too useful not to have. You can make plenty of other useful items if all you have is a good carving knife and some wood.

5. Rope. Good for helping you to get somewhere the zombies cannot, plus a myriad of other uses.

EDIT: I just realized this is pretty much the top five things I buy for my D&D characters. :smallconfused:

Eldan
2011-02-24, 10:08 PM
My longterm plan would be:

1) Find nearest fallout shelter. Legally, every house in this country was required to have one, fully stocked, until recently. Older houses also lack them, and ours is 400 years old. There should still be blankets and food. I'll stay in one as long as the food holds out.

2) Move into the alps. They are basically free of people, so fewer zombies. You can still hunt and fish there, too, so that's okay. Just stay away from the big forbidden cat and wolf areas.

3) Find abandoned military installations. The alps have hundreds of kilometers of tunnels and military bases everywhere. There should be generators, food stores and stacked hospitals still around.

Ragingsystem
2011-02-24, 10:12 PM
1) Leather body suit
2) Survival Knife
3) Shaolin Spade
4) Shotgun preferably a saiga
5) more ammo

Mathis
2011-02-24, 10:13 PM
Easy, I plan for this kind of stuff. I'll assume I get the clothes Im wearing now for free.

1. My backpack. (empty, but it's big)
2. Cold weather clothing. (I'ts needed here and will be useful long term.)
3. The box of tools in the garage. (It's not too heavy, and fits in the bottom of my backpack.)
4. A couple bottles of whisky. (If I'm going to die, I'm going to die comfortable and well alcoholized, plus empty they double as cantines.)
5. A crowbar from the garage.

Eldan
2011-02-24, 10:14 PM
Strong (as in, really strong) alcohol would have a lot of uses. Disinfectant, fire starter...

Mathis
2011-02-24, 10:17 PM
Yeah, that's why everyone who plans on surviving the zombiecalypse needs to know how to make their own alcohol out of potatoes or whatever is handy and useable nearby.

Eldan
2011-02-24, 10:18 PM
Distilling it down to any useful degree isn't easy. We barely got it burning back in High School chemistry, and that was with modern equipment. I'd like to see anyone building a functioning distillery out in the woods.

Jack Squat
2011-02-24, 10:23 PM
Distilling it down to any useful degree isn't easy. We barely got it burning back in High School chemistry, and that was with modern equipment. I'd like to see anyone building a functioning distillery out in the woods.

I live in the hills of Tennessee. I'm currently within 20 miles of at least 5 home made stills. Also, feel free to read up on Popcorn Sutton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Sutton)

Mathis
2011-02-24, 10:33 PM
Ofcourse, the access to knowledge about making stills and such is bound to be very geographically varied. Out here though, in addition to being a very zombie-survival friendly place to begin with there are lots of farms with old still-equipment still laying around from during the second world war. Using that old equipment is of course incredibly dangerous and will require proper training and skill much like the operation of every other type of machinery. During the end of days at the hands of zombies, these skills will be needed.

rayne_dragon
2011-02-24, 10:41 PM
Strong (as in, really strong) alcohol would have a lot of uses. Disinfectant, fire starter...

The problem is once you run out, where do you get more? Too much risk, for too little reward. I don't think anything that you can run out of should be a top 5 pick simply because having to replace something would be potentially quite risky in a zombie apocalypse scenario. Water (in a container) is the only thing I think I would make an exception for since it is essential to life, and isn't easily accessible in some areas. The only reason I didn't put water as my #5 is that where I live finding clean water sources is rarely an issue. Keeping dry is more of a problem.

Eldan
2011-02-24, 10:41 PM
I live in the hills of Tennessee. I'm currently within 20 miles of at least 5 home made stills. Also, feel free to read up on Popcorn Sutton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Sutton)

I stand corrected.

SDF
2011-02-24, 10:42 PM
Vodka is probably fine in a pinch, but you do not want to try and disinfect anything with sugar fermented liquor unless you want a fungal infection. Peroxide and isopropanol are common enough that it wouldn't be feasible to do anyway.

I would just need my guitar, amp, and a generator. You're all gonna die, I intend to do it rocking.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-24, 10:52 PM
Well, I'll be damned. Here I am, forgetting a canteen or pot. Interestingly, I got almost a full set of military equipment (sans uniform and weapons) at recruitment, even though they didn't take me, so I have a three-part metal canteen I could take. Book out, canteen in.

Did you get your commissar's uniform then too? I want one of those peaked hats...

Apophis
2011-02-24, 10:57 PM
1. Machete-Blades don't need reloading
2. Knife-Lots of uses.
3. My army Canteen-Obvious reasons
4. Hiking Boots-Cars will be next to useless, and I need to get away from cities.
5. Backpack- I plan on being able to carry a lot more stuff than this.

Eldan
2011-02-24, 11:17 PM
Did you get your commissar's uniform then too? I want one of those peaked hats...

Nope. The Swiss army doesn't have them. I got boots, canteen, knife and assorted tools, though.

thubby
2011-02-24, 11:17 PM
hunting knife.
crowbar.
heavy duty tarp (preferably the sort with chord running through it)
zippo.
shotgun.

they're all multi-use, high durability, and can be used to gather more resources.

well, with the exception of the gun, but you're gonna need the "oh crap" button.

Traab
2011-02-24, 11:23 PM
This depends. Are we going with fast zombies like 28 days later? Or slow zombies? Here is some standard equipment id want

1) Bike. Roads WILL be clogged with abandoned and zombie infested vehicles. Trying to drive a car of your own is a waste. Plus they are noisy, limited to roads, and need fuel. Give me a mountain bike any day.

2)First aid kit. Stuff happens. You dont want that cut you got from a chain link fence to fester do you? Plus a lot of the more complete kits have items like water purification tablets and stuff like that. This helps me to sort of fudge the amount of things I can bring. :p

3) A pot. This gives me a convienent way to cook food, boil water, collect rain if im not near a stream, whatever. A pot can have a dozen different uses in a pinch.

4) A weapon. This is where fast or slow comes into play. Im not going to get into melee range with a fast zombie if I can help it, so no swords, axes, maces, or crow bars. Ill take a 9 mm with as many spare rounds of ammo as I can carry. You dont need to blow huge holes in a zombie to kill it, so wasting space with gigantic .45 rounds or shotgun shells is a waste. If they are the slow types, id go with http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/browseproducts/Special-Forces-Shovel.HTML That way I have a nice utility tool, and a good zombie brainer in a pinch.

5) Flashlight. Either solar powered, or one of those guys you swing back and forth to build up a charge with. Just because its night out doesnt mean the zombies will stop moving. You need to be able to see whats coming.

Xefas
2011-02-24, 11:27 PM
Listed in order of importance as well.

1. Pants
2. Shoes
3. Socks
4. Shirt
5. More Pants.

I'll then trade my extra pair of pants to one of you guys, who forgot to grab theirs on the way to their shotgun. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Although, now, I'm imaging Eldan standing, valiantly, against a horde of zombies closing in on him from all sides, wearing nothing but hiking boots and a trenchcoat; knife in one hand, matches in the other. It is quite epic.

Traab
2011-02-24, 11:32 PM
Hmph, I may not have my modesty, but at least i wont be staggering around moaning "BRAAAAINS!" like you will, mister, "I dont need anything but clothes to survive" :smallbiggrin:

HalfTangible
2011-02-24, 11:35 PM
0. The Iron Man suit.
1. Body armor
2. Rowboat w/Anchor
3. An axe (cuts hard like a sword, weighted so it can be used as a club when it's not sharp anymore)
4. Pot
5. Bike (thanks for the idea :smalltongue: even though bikes also eventually run themselves down)

I'd go into the middle of a lake and drop the anchor so i could just sleep out there, and make occasional supply runs in my zombie-proof body armor. If they try to get me on the lake, they'll have to pile themselves up first.

Xefas
2011-02-24, 11:37 PM
Hmph, I may not have my modesty, but at least i wont be staggering around moaning "BRAAAAINS!" like you will, mister, "I dont need anything but clothes to survive" :smallbiggrin:

See, we seem to be in a situation of potential symbiosis. You don't have pants, but seem to have all the necessities for surviving a zombocalypse.

I have none of these necessities. But I have an extra pair of pants!

Lets team up! :smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2011-02-24, 11:40 PM
Heh. If I tried sleeping out on a lake during hte night out here, I'd die from exposure during most of the year.

Admiral Squish
2011-02-25, 03:06 AM
Ahh, zombies. Let's see:

1. Coat. Gets COLD here in winter. Plus, it's water proof, and the hood tucks into the collar, so there's no extra handhold for grasping zombie hands. And, y'know, hell. It's got the symbol of the Dai-gurren brigade stitched onto the back. It would be a constant source of morale, plus possibly a flag to signal other survivors. It's sturdy enough to serve as some limited armor, too.

2. Hand Axe. Good tool, good weapon. Lightweight, simple to use, weighted enough to use as a club if the edge goes dull.

3. Bunch 'o Notebooks and a big box of pens. Knowledge is power. Writing things down also serves to leave a record behind me, and without the internet, I'll have a LOT of time to think.

4: Hiking gear. My parents still have boxes and boxes of the stuff on hand. Pre-packed, and it includes pots, pans, first aid kits, a tent, flint and steel, and all sorts of other survival goodies. It's even got that sun-shower thing. You fill it with water, leave it in the sun and the water warms up. By afternoon, it's warm enough to shower in. You can speed it up

5: Bike. My mountain bike. Perfect for this sort of thing. Fast, reliable transportation, and I'm handy enough that should something go wonky, I can keep it running. Well, at least until the summer after the initial apocolypse, when all the shuffling dead will rot on their feet.

The plan? Shelter. Head into the local area and gather non-perishable supplies. Protein-heavy stuff, preferably, though I could hardly pass up the chance to loot a gas station clean of it's sweets. Set up shop in some remote, person-free wilderness, and wait it out. Shouldn't take more than a year for the zombies to become useless, what with their flesh freezing in the winter and rotting in the summer. After 12 months, head back towards civilization. If shufflers are still about, head back out and wait another year. Rinse, repeat.

Eloel
2011-02-25, 06:31 AM
Duh, too easy.

1- Huge (very huge) pack of balloons
2- Helium motor (or whatever you call it) (I live in dorm, thus, the whole campus is usable :P)
3- Wood Axe
4&5- You guys can have these, don't need it.

Plan is simple:
Invade rector's house. If he's not infected and wants to cooperate - let him. Else - destroy.
Tie balloons to chimney.

Up we go! I'd probably station the house over a lake. Since I effectively have a houseful of supplies, I can fish off the lake and live there forever.

Eldan
2011-02-25, 08:44 AM
Ever seen that mythbusters episode where they lift a five-year old girl with balloons? Not as easy as it sounds, is all I'm saying.

Adlan
2011-02-25, 08:58 AM
1. My ZombieSquad membership Card
2. My BOB
3. My EDC (of course, comes with me everywhere)
4. My Small Forrest Axe
5. My Bow/Quiver Combo.

Prepare for the comming zombie apocalypse, if you are interested, check out Zombie Squad (www.zombie-hunters.org), the worlds premier non-stationary cadaver supression task force.

Murska
2011-02-25, 08:58 AM
1: Knife
2: Shotgun (Melee against a zombie horde isn't a very good idea, so no taking my katanas or such)
3: Bike
4: Heavy winter clothing (It's Finland for god's sake)
5: Axe

With this stuff I could outrun zombies, kill them if necessary and break into houses to take more stuff like food and whatever.

drakir_nosslin
2011-02-25, 09:22 AM
1: My dad (Yea, I know I don't own him, but I think that he'd help me if I asked.)
2: FireSteel (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/754d/)
3: Hand Axe
4: Leatherman
5: Winter clothes.

Plan is: Walk straight out into the forest with my dad, who lived several winters out there on his own when he was young (He was a lumberjack). This was before electricity, so he knows how to survive without modern fancy pants stuff. First week would be harsh, since one of us would have to gather food for two, while the other one builds a small hut. Once that is done, fall into a routine of gathering food and firewood and waiting for the summer to come.

This is all assuming that my standard plan, which is escaping to my parent's farm up in the north doesn't work out.

Darkxarth
2011-02-25, 09:51 AM
3. Knife. A good swiss army knife, if that counts, as the various tools are useful. Needle, can-opener, saw, lockpick could all be useful.

Nope. The Swiss army doesn't have them. I got boots, canteen, knife and assorted tools, though.

Am I to gather from these two statements that you have an actual Swiss Army Knife from the actual freaking Swiss army?

Eldan
2011-02-25, 09:53 AM
Well, look at my location. Switzerland. The Swiss army tends to get them.

And the knives the army actually uses tend to have a lot fewer tools on them than those bought than souvenirs.

Traab
2011-02-25, 11:12 AM
Swiss army knives are evil. Ive got one of my very few scars from those evil devices! lol I was young and dumb. I got a swiss army knife and of course I had to open it up completely to see everything at once. I did that, said "cool" then proceeded to put them all away. I was just putting the fish scaler back, (wtf, fish scaler?!) when it popped back open, slamming my thumb into the big kinfe blade, burying it into the knuckle. Its been 20 years and the scar is still visible. :smallfrown:

Luckily my other scars are far more manly. I was petting my kitten when someone turned on a food processor, scaring the kitten so badly it raked its claws down the palm of both my hands and halfway down my wrists.

Eldan
2011-02-25, 11:31 AM
Well, get one with locking blades, then.

Barbin
2011-02-25, 04:59 PM
1. Good winter coat. I'd make my way as far north as possible. (Less people= less zombies, extreme cold= freezer burn.)

2. Sturdy wood axe. Untill I pass the treeline this is very useful as a tool and weapon.

3.Backwood camping kit. Gas oven, big match box, sleeping bag, first aid kit, fire starting kit, dry rations and a swiss army knife.

4. Mountaine bike. This I'll be most useful in civilized areas and when I'd be above the treeline.

5. Full radio set. Look for more survivors!

All this back country camping will finally pay off.

Crow
2011-02-25, 11:55 PM
As I make this list, I realize there are a lot of things I'd like to have that I don't have available at my home. I will be one of those guys looting I guess. As for things I do have;

1. My dog. I gotta sleep sometime, and he's the best watch I could hope to have. Having a buddy you can trust is very important. Plus if things get really bad, as much as I hate to say it, I eat at least one more day.

2. Pistol. Keeps my weight down and I can make use of le parkour if I need to...not gonna happen while carrying a rifle. I used to be a near-olympic pistol shot, so I think I could hunt with it in a pinch.

3. Crowbar. Grappling hook, door-opener, window-smasher. There are just too many things that this can be used for. I had a really difficult time deciding between this and a hatchet.

4. Knife. This is one of the most important tools you can carry. Uses for this range from the mundane to the insane. No whetstone in my house though. :(

5. Compass. Will be used to get just about everywhere since I will be avoiding roads. Getting the maps will be the hard part. Hopefully the library doesn't get looted.

Eloel
2011-02-26, 12:05 AM
1. My dog. I gotta sleep sometime, and he's the best watch I could hope to have. Having a buddy you can trust is very important. Plus if things get really bad, as much as I hate to say it, I eat at least one more day.

I'd die before I do that myself. To everyone their own I guess.

Admiral Squish
2011-02-26, 01:17 AM

As it is said in the mountains: You eat your rations, you eat your boots, you eat your coat, you eat your own damn LEG, but you NEVER, NEVER, eat your dog.

thorgrim29
2011-02-26, 02:41 AM
-My army trenchcoat... Even without the winter doubling, I'd like to see a human mouth bite me through that, plus it's very warm.
- A big knife, probably a small machete
-My camping Backpack (empty), I'll fill it while scavenging.
-Tough leather winter gloves, same reason as the coat.
- Loads of waterproof matches.

Ricky S
2011-02-26, 11:15 AM
1. Bolt action rifle with scope (and some ammunition)
2. Knife
3. First Aid kid
4. Matches
5. Torch

Crow
2011-02-26, 02:21 PM

If you're going to let yourself die that easily, you're not cut out for zombie apocalypse! It's not like I said it was my first option...

Eldan
2011-02-26, 02:27 PM
Don't forget to keep the parts of the dog you don't eat. A lot of body parts could be very useful when the world really runs out of resources. You could probably construct a nice bow from dog parts.

CynicalAvocado
2011-02-26, 03:16 PM
bow
arrows
road flaresbaseball bat
lighter matches
entrenchment tool

bow and arrows- reusable/easy to make ammo for hunting

baseball bat- nothing says "stay dead" like massive blunt force trauma to the head

lightermatches- starting fires for incinerating bodies(if i can't dig a grave), cooking food, signaling in case of rescue.

entrenchment tool(yes, i have one.)- dig latrines and graves and use as a weapon

revised.

as a side note i didn't list my knife because i think it isn't necessary to list as i am never without it.(except in the shower)

Miliardooz
2011-02-26, 09:31 PM
Two-Handed Axe For Zombie defense

Flint

Clothing

Boots

Can-tine

Everything else i can rummage for. Or use force with axe to obtain.

Icewalker
2011-02-26, 11:04 PM
In a small college dorm, I have suuuper little stuff available to me. So this is an interesting question.

1. My slim stick. Best weapon I've got on hand. Weapons grade cane, carbon fiber, etc, and I have a little bit of training fighting with it.

2. My netbook (and charger). Society falls apart, etc etc, pretty quick electricity and the internet will be nonexistent, sure. But for a while, there's an enormous amount of information available which my small lightweight computer will be better for handling, and that kind of info can be important. Although I can more or less get this on my phone too, which is lighter. But I always have that on me, so I'm not counting it, and like I said, I really don't have much to take...

3. Swiss army knife is at home. I have a small hammer...neh. Oh! I do have a multitool, actually. So that then.

4. Water bottle! Or two! Clean water is a pretty damn important thing to have.

5. Ummmm...I'm really running out of ideas here. I mean, some clothes? I figured that was more or less assumed. A book? Covered by my computer, really. Oh, actually, I think I have a tiny bit of first aid-y stuff here. Although I don't know much about it, so it wouldn't be of much use. Still, some, so probably some disinfectant and simple bandages or the like.

Saposhiente
2011-02-26, 11:23 PM
You could consider adding a crowbar; they are pretty useful for getting into things.

Icewalker
2011-02-26, 11:30 PM
Things you actually own only, remember. Haven't got a crowbar.

St. Viers
2011-02-27, 01:16 AM
1. Turf-Cutter. Cresent-spaded, bladed polearm of sorts? Sounds good enough for me.

2. Leatherman

3. Hiking Boots

4. Flint (Scouting skills useful!?)

5. Hiking Pack.

At first signs, I'd loot supermarkets for non-perishable foods, pack it away, move on.

CynicalAvocado
2011-02-27, 09:55 PM
1. Turf-Cutter. Cresent-spaded, bladed polearm of sorts? Sounds good enough for me.

2. Leatherman

3. Hiking Boots

4. Flint (Scouting skills useful!?)

5. Hiking Pack.

At first signs, I'd loot supermarkets for non-perishable foods, pack it away, move on.

yes!

all those busted knuckles will be worth it

Asthix
2011-02-27, 11:53 PM
Well I just started reading Army of Darkness comics (loved the movies for years) so my top five are obviously:

1) Chainsaw (with hand attachment)
2) Boomstick
3) Mechanical Hand
4) 1973 Oldsmobile Delta Royale (for steampunking)
5) Piece of Paper Towel with the words, Klatu Verata Nicto printed on it. (trust me, you'll need it)

Eldariel
2011-02-27, 11:57 PM
RK-62
Ammunition
?????

Darkxarth
2011-02-28, 12:38 AM
RK-62
Ammunition
?????
Profit?

Also, a shame on those of you who are saying things like, "I always have N with me, so I am not counting it" or "a backpack with X, Y, and Z." It may be reasonable to take such things with you, but in the context of this... game? experiment?... poll, it should be counted as such,
1. A backpack with X
2. Y (also in pack)
3. Z (also in pack)
4. N (which I always carry with me)
5. A towel (which should be in everyone's list)

Anyway, that's enough griping. I appreciate your responses!

Temotei
2011-02-28, 01:05 AM
Honestly, I have no weapons worth mentioning in my home. The best I could get is a butcher knife. I'd probably end up hurting myself with it, so I'll stick to being unarmed and using jiu-jitsu flying knees and Superman punches. :smalltongue:

I'm assuming the clothes (Undershirt, T-shirt, sweatshirt, sweatpants, underwear, and socks in this weather) and shoes (Mizuno running shoes) I normally wear don't count.

1. My 350-page notebook (with pencil) -- Writing eases stress. It'll be nice to write poetry about how insane I'm going while I run from zombies.
2. My traveling bag -- I'd like to think I could stop by the town grocery store, hardware store, and gas stations for supplies. My bag would serve me well.
3. My flashlight -- Shake it to make it brighter. Shake it to use it again. Shake it to use it forever! :smallcool:
4. My bicycle -- I'd like to wear out my shoes as slowly as possible. Also, a mode of travel that only requires my own energy is nice to have. I won't have to stop for gas. I should figure out how to keep that switch pressed that makes gas keep pumping after you let go. I never bothered, really. I might then take a motor vehicle.
5. My address book -- I want to get to a phone somewhere as quickly as possible and contact people I know so I can help them and they can help me. Also, my brother will still be alive (If he wasn't, I think I'd just take the butcher knife to my neck.), so these people can help him. That's more important to me than anything ever. Actually, I'll just write the addresses down in the notebook. Whoo!

How about...my Mario Bros. blanket? :smallamused: It could be used for plenty of things; it's thick, warm, soft, and comforting.

Moff Chumley
2011-02-28, 01:33 AM
Following the constraints of the OP, I got nothing. However...

1) 1963 Gibson SG
2) Sunn Model T, pile of Orange 4x12s
3) Dwarfract Eau Claire Thunder
4) A drummer
5) A bassist

Let's do this.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2011-02-28, 01:55 AM
1. Machete
2. Trenchcoat
3. Backpack
4. Hatchet and/or axe
5. Mountain bike

I have adequate* warmth, equipment, storage, defenses, transportation, and weaponry here. After this, I'd forage. Runners up include a metal water bottle, maybe a pot, some matches, canned or non-perishable food, a towel, one of those giant metal flashlights (I don't have anything smaller, and they'd make good bludgeoning weapons in a pinch), my Zune (music helps in oh so many ways...) and maybe some other smaller knives? If we're including things I don't already own, a proper first aid kit, a Firesteel knife (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/7f02/), the Zombie Survival Guide, a headlamp (hands free light is always useful), some sort of ranged weaponry, and maybe some Tac Bac (http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/wacky-edibles/c399/) for the lulz. No, I haven't thought about this at all, why do you ask?

*For certain values of adequate, anyways.

Adlan
2011-02-28, 09:38 AM
Profit?

Also, a shame on those of you who are saying things like, "I always have N with me, so I am not counting it" or "a backpack with X, Y, and Z." It may be reasonable to take such things with you, but in the context of this... game? experiment?... poll, it should be counted as such,
1. A backpack with X
2. Y (also in pack)
3. Z (also in pack)
4. N (which I always carry with me)
5. A towel (which should be in everyone's list)

Anyway, that's enough griping. I appreciate your responses!

I'm probably one of the ones guilty of the worst of it, not only did I include multiple things as one slot, I didn't even explain what their acronyms meant :D. For that I'm sorry, however, usually when these threads drop by, all I do is post a response, drop the ZS link and don't read any other entries. The reason being... a fair proportion of the people are talking or implying looting, if not out right banditry. I don't know if you've come across the link I gave in my post, or if you've followed it across, but Zombie Squad is pretty much all about preventing people having both that mindset, or necessity to turn a survior into worse than the undead hordes we fight against.

So, I suppose my EDC should count as my 5 items. Not that they are my preffered Zombie Gear, but they are what's always with me, in case of hell, highwater, or zombies.

1.Knife (Leatherman Multitool)
2.Small FAK (unless you want that broken down, Plastars, Bandage, Blue Nitrile Gloves (1pair), Disinfectant wipes, Alchol Gel, surgical tape, Steroid Cream, Foot Powder Sachet) Needle, Thread.
3. Mobile Phone
4. Spare Knife (Victorinox)
5. Lighter

If you plan on the Zombie Apocalpyse being the deserted landscape you see in films, remember, almost every zombie film is set sometime after the initial 'Die Off'. And that's a lot harder to survive. Me personally, I'm bugging in.

And I've reverted back to the jargon, sorry.

ThirdEmperor
2011-02-28, 10:50 AM
Zombie Apocalypse you say? Challenge accepted:

1. Laser Cannon
2. Tank
3. Several barrels of gasoline
4. Crates of food
5. Ammo

grimbold
2011-02-28, 11:10 AM
24 Inch blade (multifunctional and i have like 8 years of fencing training)
Hammock (the kind that you can hang up easily so that you can sleep in trees and stuff)
Shotgun
Ammo
Backpack

Solaris
2011-02-28, 01:30 PM
2. Something proctive makes sense too. A good leather trenchcoat should provide nice coverage while being lightweight and functional.

I love it when someone shows up to a fight wearing something I can grab hold of. Particularly if my win condition is just to get a bite in? Oh yes, please.
Screw that. I'd prefer to charge into battle nekkid.
My own uniform is suitable enough. Human teeth can't penetrate it. I know, I've tried. >_<

1: Preferentially, a Browning M2. Ma Deuce is downright unkillable, which a lot of modern guns can't claim, but I don't know her quite as well as I do the M249 or M240-series machineguns. I'll need at least 600 rounds, but I can scavenge that without trying too hard. Heavy? Yeah, sure, it's about eighty pounds or so, plus the weight of the tripod brings it in the ballpark of a buck-twenty. But me, I don't mess around. I really don't mess around. The .50-cal HMG is one of those weapons that, when you fire into a crowd, you no longer have a crowd. Humans, zombies, don't matter. She blows them to pieces. If I can't get my hot little hands on one of them, I'll take a SAW. I'll have to save links, but I can reassemble belts reasonably quickly. The machinegun's not going with me, you see. It's there to set up a fallback position. We got 'em in the arms room.
2: M4 with M68 CCO. Make sure it's the one that takes AAA batteries - if the power supply can't come COTS, don't even bother with it. Point-and-click shooting at its finest. She'll take .22 LRs in a pinch, but she don't like it. 5.56mm rounds are real easy to find. I'll need some two hundred and ten rounds for a full combat load. Being relatively quiet (almost silent if you know how to wrangle it), with pinpoint accuracy and the power to penetrate a skull at any ranges I need to worry about a zombie, this weapon won't leave my side any more than it did when the enemy was living. Also in the arms room. Not too tough to get into, if you know what you're doing. Here's a hint: Most any military vehicle can go through walls.
3: FMTV. Also known as a five-ton truck. These robust vehicles are large, with cabs above your average human's shoulders and beds high enough that the average man reaching up can just get his fingertips to the ledge. They're called five-tons because that's how much they can carry going over rough terrain. I'm not terribly worried about cars; I've seen one of these bad boys punt lesser vehicles like you or I would a football. I've taken one into some of the worst environments on this planet, and the truck laughed at it all. I'd have my machinegun mounted on the turret ring up top, and look into building not only an enclosed turret but also putting up solid walls over the bed rather than the (albeit tough) tarp it has. Let's go with a M1084, the kind that has a crane on the back, and give it a 500-gallon water buffalo on the back.
4: Bicycle. Because let's face it, while the FMTV is rugged as hell and will happily use most any fuel, it still has a 45-gallon tank and a gas mileage of maybe 15-20 mpg. I'll be needing this for reconnoitering locations with a stealthiness.
5: My assault pack. I can pack enough for me to live a week into that thing and have room for my laptop and some books. I'm cheating, though, 'cause it comes with a 1-qt canteen and a 3-liter camelbak.

My operational plan has changed somewhat from the last time I posted in one of these threads. It's no longer securing an isolated base of rather competent, tough, and trained Alaskan troopers, it's helping secure a tremendous base with a huge, soft population. We have a big, unsecured border that will be taking a massive influx of refugees, and we have large cities all around us.
This is euphemistically referred to as a 'target-rich environment'. A zombie apocalypse would make this place an awful location for fighting, even if they do have tanks here. As a recon-type MOS, I assume I'd be allocated onto either surveillance or escorting civilians out of the hot zone. Thus, I either watch the massacre and then go in once the situation has become dire, or I'm at in the heat of the evacuation myself.

No brains
2011-02-28, 02:34 PM
1: My Martha Stewart frying pan! Combines sterilization, food-making, and a weapon.
2: My clothes and backpack on me now ought to be suitable- or did we decide those items didn't count?
3: uh... that might cover it until I can enact my plan, so... profit.

My plan is to steal a zepplin/blimp. It's a boat in the air. Stealing maintenence tools might be good too. I'll be sure to load it with rocks for 'tactical bombing operations', food, and of course, a bullhorn so I can laugh at all you land-lubbers and you can hear it!

Also, zepplin armor so you can't shoot me down!

I can just crap out the windows and I don't even need pants! Take that pants-man!

dehro
2011-02-28, 06:22 PM
only stuff I own?
1)knife
2)rope
3)tarpaulin
4)utility tool
5)a canteen

CletusMusashi
2011-02-28, 07:58 PM
List 1:
1.Clown Costume
2. Harley Quinn
3 and 4: Harley Quinn's pet hyaenas, because scavengers eat zombies.
5. A towel.

List 2:
1. Bruce Campbell
2 and 3: Girls.
4: One more girl, because Bruce Campbell would probably get the first two.
5. A towel.

Amiel
2011-02-28, 07:59 PM
4 nukes and replicant cloning technology, that's all you'll ever need.

Ricky S
2011-03-01, 02:09 AM
Can we be clear on this. Are clothes already included? Is a backpack included?

If not my list is now:
Clothes
Backpack
Matches
Hunting Knife
First Aid kit

Ravens_cry
2011-03-01, 07:37 AM
If clothes and backpack are freebies, dress in layers people. That way you can take stuff off and put it back on as the conditions change.
Multitool.
Crowbar,
Flint,
Bicycle, off road preferably.
Pot.
If I had the know how, I would take a weapon of some kind, but I don't so I would be more a danger to myself then to any zombie. The Bicycle is the perfect zombie apocalypse transportation. It's faster then any slow zombie, it is efficient, and it is quiet. Also, I have never seen a zombie ride a bicycle. Admittedly I haven't seen many zombie movies, but this, if true, could help prevent that ironic death where upon staggering exhausted into sight of other survivors you get shot because they mistook you for one of the living dead.
Dying ironically sucks.

thubby
2011-03-01, 08:13 AM
it's definitely cheating to metagame extra cloths.

J.Gellert
2011-03-01, 08:38 AM
1. Full Plate Armor - Zombies can't bite you in it! Alternative: astronaut suit.

2. Two-handed Sword - Doesn't require ammo. Doesn't create flaming zombies either.

3. Night-vision goggles - You can see the zombies, they can't see you. I consider telescopic vision a freebie on this one.

4. Laptop - It's going to be very boring otherwise.

5. Swiss Army Knife - Even a regular knife is great for utility.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-03-01, 08:56 AM
Shovel, seeds, water purifying pump, bait, fishing pole.

I'm stealing a boat and booking it.

Ricky S
2011-03-01, 10:58 AM
1. Full Plate Armor - Zombies can't bite you in it! Alternative: astronaut suit.

2. Two-handed Sword - Doesn't require ammo. Doesn't create flaming zombies either.

3. Night-vision goggles - You can see the zombies, they can't see you. I consider telescopic vision a freebie on this one.

Im not sold on the idea of wearing full plate. It is heavy and limits your mobility. Also all NVD's are slightly telescopic so it can be kinda weird wearing them.

Mathis
2011-03-01, 11:44 AM
In addition, you're going to need help getting into and out of that armor. And in a fight with enough zombies all they have to do is get enough to you in sufficient numbers and that big two-handed sword of yours isn't going to do squat since you won't be able to swing it. When you are trapped underneath a bunch of zombies and still not dying, you're going to feel sorry for not wearing something you could have ran away in.

Eldan
2011-03-01, 12:57 PM
Better get something lighter and sturdy. Most of the time, humans can not bite or claw through it very well anyway. Fireman's suit. Leather jacket/pants. Chainmail, if you are paranoid. Canvas is probably enough already. Sure, they can still punch you, but at least they can't bite.

Crow
2011-03-01, 12:59 PM
I love how nobody reads the part about things you have.

Eldan
2011-03-01, 01:06 PM
Never underestimate playground people. We have re-enactors here, and I know for certain several people here have mail suits and swords. There's a fire department about two blocks from here, so I could probably get a suit in case of apocalypse. Leather jackets aren't especially rare either.

Crow
2011-03-01, 01:39 PM
The full plate is one thing, and I can understand that. But an Astronaut suit?

Besides, even if you have a fire station nearby, you still don't own the equipment. There is plenty of stuff that I will be able to easily aquire, but as I dont own them, they can't go on my list...yet.

Eldan
2011-03-01, 02:01 PM
The fire station has glass doors.The locks aren't very sturdy either. And in the event of apocalypse, I'd have no qualms about breaking in.

Spiryt
2011-03-01, 02:10 PM
I'm actually way more fascinated with great popularity of this meme/setting/whatever.

You can see pretty normal people doing half, or even 3 quarters serious books, preparation or 'scientific' breakdowns, while one really can't see the same amount of stuff about mass volcano eruption, attack of gigantic locust swarm, or pollution of rivers with sulfur and booze or whatever.

All of those are pretty damn humbug, but still times more probable than Zombie Apocalypse. :smallwink:

Amurion
2011-03-01, 02:27 PM

I don't like the idea of being surrounded by zombies before I can take them down, one slip and your done. Doesn't matter if you have "unlimited ammo" with that sword or not.

1. .22 rifle with ammo (really small ammunition and portable)
2. Shovel
3. Bicycle
4. Permaculture Design manual (need an efficient way to grow food later on)
5. Flint and steel (my tool is a combined set)

I have swords and armor and what not, but i don't see it being very useful, mobility is key as you don't want to fight the zombies at close range. If you do then you are going to be dead. Besides, swords and crap need to be sharpened and cleaned to remain useful, shovels will last alot longer.

Crow
2011-03-01, 04:14 PM
The fire station has glass doors.The locks aren't very sturdy either. And in the event of apocalypse, I'd have no qualms about breaking in.

Yes, you could easily get it. But it still doesn't belong on your list because you don't have it right now.

LemonDrizzle
2011-03-01, 04:23 PM
Hm. Out of stuff I own? This may be a problem.

I have some quite sturdy boots and my lab coat's designed to be thick enough to resist catching fire. Last I was aware, blunt force's meant to be somewhat effective, so... uh... I have a frying pan?

<.<

>.>

Yeah, I'm screwed. I'll be over there eating brains if you need me.

Eldan
2011-03-01, 05:30 PM
Yes, you could easily get it. But it still doesn't belong on your list because you don't have it right now.

I didn't put it on my list. In fact, I don't have any weapons or armour there because I'd be rubbish in a fight either way, so I'm going for running away.
I'm just saying that heavy armour is probably both unnecessary and in the way.

J.Gellert
2011-03-01, 06:26 PM
In addition, you're going to need help getting into and out of that armor. And in a fight with enough zombies all they have to do is get enough to you in sufficient numbers and that big two-handed sword of yours isn't going to do squat since you won't be able to swing it. When you are trapped underneath a bunch of zombies and still not dying, you're going to feel sorry for not wearing something you could have ran away in.

Doesn't matter; if you wade in a sea of Zs, you'll die even if you have a chainsaw. Compared to that, swords are more maneuverable and never run out.

The problem with "lighter" armor is that there's too much unprotected space; and in a fight, 1-on-1 with a Z, it's far more likely to bite your extremities. Heavy clothing won't be enough.

When it comes to running, sure it's not as effective, but really, most Zs can be outran at walking pace. Exhaustion is the potential problem, but you only need the armor when you're going someplace dangerous anyway. Assume here that you can escape to the hills (no Zs there! Human ones, at least) and live there unless you absolutely have to enter a city (didn't work too well for the Walking Dead group, but hey).

And you can't ignore the awesome. I'd include a heavy horse, if I knew for a fact that animals are immune to the Z virus.

zeratul
2011-03-01, 06:29 PM
1. A car, preferably a fuel efficient one so that you don't use up too much of it and don't need to scavenge for fuel as often. It would also be a good idea to weld some more plating onto it in order to make it more defensive, adding a plow ala zombieland mightn't be a bad idea providing it was a big enough car to support one.

2. A good quality blowtorch and welding mask, these would be useful for armoring vehicles as well as sealing exits behind you to stop or slow zombies when they're pursuing you, plus you could use it for lighting fires.

3. an AA12 Shotgun. Fully automatic shotgun capable of holding 20 rounds of ammunition at a time. The shotgun is pretty much the classic zombie killing weapon and a fully automatic one with a bannana clip or drum mag takes away the main disadvantage of a shotgun being the amount of time it takes to reload one in a pinch. Plus they make a custom explosive round for it.

4. A traditionally made Japanese katana would be the ideal short range weapon. The sharpness of the blades and their strength make it effective for cleaving the heads of zombies to destroy their brains or for hacking of limbs to slow them down, all in all great close range weapon.

5. a good quality multitool would also be highly useful. All the different functions would make it useful in a wide variety of situations in the postzombieapocalyptic world so I'd say this one is probably a must have.

BizzaroStormy
2011-03-01, 06:38 PM
1. JIC Mariner Kit (sitting in my closet along with other camping supplies, but it would be numero uno on my bug out list. Since I live in the midwest US, ammo shouldn't be too scarce.)
2. Zippo lighter. As long as it doesn't get damaged, it can be refilled with butane found at any convenience store.
3. My coat: An oilskin duster which has proven fairly difficult to puncture/tear.
4. E-Tool: Too many uses to list.
5. My katana: A good weapon which also holds a bit of sentimental value.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2011-03-01, 09:24 PM
The full plate is one thing, and I can understand that. But an Astronaut suit?

I believe that was a joking reference to Dr. McNinja (http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/8p19). Thus why he didn't actually list that as his item. (Though his ownership of full plate remains in doubt.)

Also, people keep mentioning katanas as anti-zombie weaponry. Wouldn't a wakizashi be more effective? They were, after all, designed for beheadings. Your reach would still be longer than that of a zombie, and the shorter blade would be easier to wield if you weren't actually trained in swordsmanship (katanasmanship?), which I suspect many katana-proponents aren't.

Crow
2011-03-01, 10:30 PM
I'm switching my knife out for my leatherman. Just found it!

Also, this thread paints an awesome picture of the zombie apocalypse. I can almost see all of us and our wacky equipment. My dog and I doing parkour, a re-enactor in full plate swinging a zweihander through a hoard of zombies, a man in a trenchcoat walking around with a katana (all he needs is sunglasses!), guys desperatly searching for generators to charge up their laptops, and countless people wielding shovels everywhere you go.

Geno9999
2011-03-01, 11:08 PM

Also, this thread paints an awesome picture of the zombie apocalypse. I can almost see all of us and our wacky equipment. My dog and I doing parkour, a re-enactor in full plate swinging a zweihander through a hoard of zombies, a man in a trenchcoat walking around with a katana (all he needs is sunglasses!), guys desperatly searching for generators to charge up their laptops, and countless people wielding shovels everywhere you go.

You forgot the part where I scream out "STOP! HAMMERTIME!" and sledgehammer a zombie.

dgnslyr
2011-03-02, 12:09 AM
Well, in the event of a zombie apocalypse, I'll have to get in to law. After all, they can't go after you if you don't have a brain.

Amiel
2011-03-02, 12:36 AM
Apparently zombies and the like fear and loathe kids; the answer, then, should be simple enough. Surround yourself with children, and zombies will never attack you again.
:smalltongue:

Eldan
2011-03-02, 02:15 AM

I got a small portable solar panel... it takes forever to charge up a battery in this country (where seeing the sun is a rare and joyous experience), but it would still be nice.
Still: I'm not taking my computer, as it's too heavy, so I'm leaving this behind too.

dehro
2011-03-02, 03:13 AM
My dog and I doing parkour

your dog does parkour???
I wanna see that!!

also, yeah... plenty of people list stuff that is depending on a steady source of supplies..such as matches, firearms (also, bullets are heavy to lug around in any decent quantity) and stuff that relies on electricity or fuel which might very well become really hard to come by.

I've also seen plenty of assumptions..such as for instance that zombies are easy to run away from because they're slow... and other such ideas.
what's the frame of reference here?

also..expanding a little from my list, which included a
1)knife
2)rope
3)tarpaulin
4)utility tool
5)canteen

my exit strategy would begin with "upgrading it" asap by looting stuff at the first chance, and add the following itmes I actually know where to find:

1)Axe (I'd go with machete but have no idea where to find one on walking distance, and axes do just fine)
2)bike (I've got one, but mine is in crap condition, including a flat tire and since I'm looting I might as well go for something better..)
3)tent (tarpauling is all good and well, and can be used for other purposes, but a good tent is much better. I'm assuming backpack is a freebie/given)
4)flint (I know how to build up a fire using a blade, or even just what's lying around..but why make it more difficult than necessary?)
5)a handcart or bike cart, depending on what I find, for the extra provisions.
6)sewing kit (not that I'm any good at it..but I've done it before and learn quickly, in a pinch, and I'd rather not walk around in the nude for having torn whatever it is I'm wearing)
7)a sledgehammer or pickaxe (because I'm no good at lockpicking and some shops are inconsiderate in that they have shatterproof windows also, zombie bashing FTW)
8)binoculars (I've got perfect eyesight, but any advantage is worth taking)

my 5 points plan to GTFO:
1)I'd make myself a sling (for hunting and for hitting zombies from mid-long range and maybe even pitting them one against the other :smallbiggrin:..also, you can't run out of stones)
2)I'd fetch my dog..a labrador. I've got great eyesight but my hearing is crap, and he's a decent hunter. well..he runs after rabbits and hedgehogs. also, he barks at zombies (seriously..he doesn't bark at thieves, so I'm hoping he has some redeaming features)
3)go and see whether they've zombified/eaten the horses a few fields down the road, and eventually take one or even two..I know my way around most things related to horse-upkeep and am a good rider, and it's way more confortable than a bike..I can always convert the cart somehow or just load stuff in the saddlebags...also, horses don't need to stick to roads.
4)I'd head south (I'm in northern Italy). Enough fields/woodland/parks to hide in, plenty of towns and villages to loot. Warmer weather and plenty of boats to steal and sail to small islands with once I'm where I want to go. (I actually know a couple of uninhabited islands, down south, that are livable, have a few houses on, and are within sight of the coast so it's easy to go looting from there).
5)once I've estabilished some sort of safe house (on the island), I'd start looting for comunication devices, radio and what have you, learn my way around them and check for other survivors. if that failed, I'd go looking for enough fuel to get by and to activate heating, a computer and a telly.. break into the nearest blockbuster and a library, and spend the rest of my days playing games, foraging, hunting, fishing, reading and writing

Fuzzie Fuzz
2011-03-02, 03:22 AM
I've also seen plenty of assumptions..such as for instance that zombies are easy to run away from because they're slow... and other such ideas.
what's the frame of reference here?

Zombies are slow because:
1. Rigor mortis
2. The brains deteriorate enough that they barely lack the coordination to stand upright and shamble, let alone run.
3. If zombies can run, we're all dead anyways, so you might as well plan for slow zombies. :smalltongue:

(Also, in this type of discussion, Romero-style zombies are the default assumption.)

Eldan
2011-03-02, 03:34 AM
Well, regarding the matches... around here, most of the time, you wouldn't survive a night outside without a source of heat. Sure, matches would run out, but I'm not sure if I could actually get a fire going with flint and steel. I'm also relying on being able to go looting after a few weeks, when my supplies start running out.

Bayar
2011-03-02, 04:58 AM
1. Flint & Steel: Since even zippo's can run out.

2. Semi-automatic rifle with enough ammo: Auto-fire is an ammo guzzler.

3. Crowbar: For opening doors and stuff.

4. First Aid Kit

5. Multi-tool: Never leave home without it.

Scavenge other resources as I move away from the urban enviroment, heading either to Snake island, either head towards the Transfăgărăşan highway and start raising sheep (near baricaded motels).

Trekkin
2011-03-02, 12:26 PM
1. My lab coat. It sounds silly, but it's water resistant, fire resistant, and surprisingly comfy.
2. Some kind of zombie removal device, ideally my coilgun; it takes easily findable iron shards as ammunition, a zombie can't be much more durable than the plywood it can go through, and once the power goes and I can't charge it anymore it's still a heavy, durable stick with heavy capacitors at one end.
3. My tool kit. Assuming a normal zombie infestation, it will be "over" as a threat quickly enough that my odds of surviving go UP in a city rather than out in the countryside, and that means being able to open doors, render them unopenable, and so forth, as well as machining some kind of seals against what will quickly become very unpleasant air, what with all the necrotic flesh.
4. My radio.
5. The keys to my lab space. If this apocalypse drags on too long, I might take a shot at figuring out why, and maybe how to fix it.

Crow
2011-03-02, 01:41 PM
your dog does parkour???
I wanna see that!!

Well he mostly just chases after me. But being a dog and all, he mostly cuts the most efficient line he can when chasing something. :)

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-02, 01:53 PM
1. Crowbar: emergency weapon, but more importantly it's a crowbar. Every zombie movie has loads of smashed stuff, crashed cars, necessary stuff abandoned while still locked, crowbar will be handy.

2. Camouflage gear & boots: because if you're going to be living in the same clothes during a zombiocalypse, they might as well be tough, wearable serial killer clothes.

3. Wind-up torch: never needs batteries, is shockingly bright, and has a wire that means it doubles as a power source for small stuff.

4. Some sort of primary weapon: necessity would dictate that if it happened right now it would have to be a sword, but if I get my choice it would be some sort of firearm (ideally the one from Metal Gear Solid 3 with the ammo cartridge shaped like an infinity symbol so it gives you unlimited ammo).

5. Harmonica: more mobile than a guitar, helps with the stress & after I've got a beard, a couple of scars & deep bags under my eyes after years of the hunt, I'll look mega badass in my camo gear sat on a building playing it as the zombies swarm below my feet.

Eldan
2011-03-02, 02:35 PM
I just realized something.

If I take my solar panel, I can sell power to all those people who picked electronic gizmos but no means of powering them.

I'm the King of the Wastes.

Also, non-wasted areas.

Trekkin
2011-03-02, 05:51 PM

If I take my solar panel, I can sell power to all those people who picked electronic gizmos but no means of powering them.

Also, non-wasted areas.

And if I bring a microbial fuel cell array, I can build an electrical empire...that runs on diced zombie flesh. Of course, then we hit Peak Zombie and enter the (other) Zombie Crisis and people start looking for alternative sources of zombies and Big Zombie starts getting demonized...

Eldan
2011-03-02, 06:05 PM
What about the Zombie Spill in the gulf?

Microbial cell. I'll have to look into that. Sounds like something our university would do, they are big on energy research.

Spacefarer
2011-03-02, 08:18 PM
1. J.C. Higgins 16 Gauge
2. Shells
3. Camelbak
4. Waterproof matches
5. Red Bull

J.Gellert
2011-03-02, 09:14 PM

Also, non-wasted areas.

You don't want to be in any position of "power" in such a lawless setting, you won't survive long.

And if I bring a microbial fuel cell array, I can build an electrical empire...that runs on diced zombie flesh. Of course, then we hit Peak Zombie and enter the (other) Zombie Crisis and people start looking for alternative sources of zombies and Big Zombie starts getting demonized...

Just trap a bunch of zombies in a big hamster-wheel-powered generator and tangle brains just out of reach.

BizzaroStormy
2011-03-02, 11:08 PM

Also, non-wasted areas.

Boom. I just spent 50 cents worth of shotgun ammunition to obtain said solar panel. Honestly, if enough of the human population is zombified to call it an "apocalypse" then you could probably use solar power for everything without much problem. (excluding vehicles of course.)

Ricky S
2011-03-03, 02:00 AM
Well I have just figured out the perfect plan. We all take 5 different things and then live together so that we can utilise all those things to greater extent Ie one person has a laptop, radio, generator, tv and fuel. Another person has solar panels, microwave, dvd player, etc. :smallbiggrin:

Also I just watched kill bill again last night. Boy what I would give for a Hanzo sword. That would certainly make zombie killing a lot easier.

More seriously though I am fairly sure that heavy clothing is bite resistant. Have any of you tried biting through leather or jeans? It is impossible. If you dont believe me go and try it now. That would be far better than wearing fullplate or chainmail or any armour of that nature. The other thing you have to consider is the sound. You want to be as quiet as possible and chainmail or fullplate wont help with that.

BizzaroStormy
2011-03-03, 01:00 PM
Well I have just figured out the perfect plan. We all take 5 different things and then live together so that we can utilise all those things to greater extent Ie one person has a laptop, radio, generator, tv and fuel. Another person has solar panels, microwave, dvd player, etc. :smallbiggrin:

Also I just watched kill bill again last night. Boy what I would give for a Hanzo sword. That would certainly make zombie killing a lot easier.

More seriously though I am fairly sure that heavy clothing is bite resistant. Have any of you tried biting through leather or jeans? It is impossible. If you dont believe me go and try it now. That would be far better than wearing fullplate or chainmail or any armour of that nature. The other thing you have to consider is the sound. You want to be as quiet as possible and chainmail or fullplate wont help with that.

The movie replicas are crap. Any handfogred mass-production katana would be acceptable. As far as armor, a shark suit would be a great option to wear under your clothes. Though you would want you clothing to be tight-fitting and you hair cut short or tied up so zombies wont have anything to grab.

Combat Reflexes
2011-03-03, 05:26 PM
A zombie apocalypse?

1. Green or brown body paint
2. Fake lenses
3. Rotting meat (emulating zombie stench)
4. tattered clothing
5. 'How to shamble in five steps' by doctor Ditzy

Bayar
2011-03-03, 06:15 PM
Boom. I just spent 50 cents worth of shotgun ammunition to obtain said solar panel. Honestly, if enough of the human population is zombified to call it an "apocalypse" then you could probably use solar power for everything without much problem. (excluding vehicles of course.)

Even vehicles, as long as they have an electric motor, say a golf cart. It won't be fast, but it would be better than pedaling.

A zombie apocalypse?

2. Fake lenses
4. tattered clothing

Depends on how zombies detect the living. if they don't use visual input exclusively, you're screwed.

TheThan
2011-03-03, 06:47 PM
I looked over my list of gear I posted earlier. I think I’ll switch out the map and compass for a tarp as I know my way around fairly well. General survival requires three things: food/water, shelter, and fire. So with that in mind, we’ll start by securing these three:

1. Ferro rod (Magnesium fire starter/metal match)
2. Canteen or bottle with nested metal cup
3. 10’ x 10’ heavy duty tarp with grommets
4. Survival knife, with sharpening rod/stone
5. 550 para cord, as much as I can carry. Bare minimum 50’

With these I cover all 3 of my basic needs. The canteen holds water, and the metal cup can be used to boil unclean or suspect water for my consumption. The ferro rod starts fires. The tarp provides me with shelter as it can be made into many different types of tents and used to block wind/rain and even worn as a poncho. The survival knife facilitates a lot of different functions; it helps me gather food, tinder and firewood, builds a shelter and generally helps me get along in the wild. The cord is not a necessity, as it’s fully possible to make cord and rope in the woods. But it’s much easier to have it on hand than make it yourself. The cord helps build shelter, supply food and water and even start a fire.

This is in addition to the gear I usually carry with me daily (wallet, handkerchief, Swiss army knife, hard glasses case, harmonica, car keys, flashlight) as well as the clothes on my back. The basic idea is to flee, get out of the city or town and escape into the wilderness. There a person can survive pretty much indefinitely (a little knowhow goes a long way). The longer you stay in a city or town the more likely you are going to attract zombies. Attracting zombies means death or infection/reanimation whathaveyou. Since most people live in cities, those are going to be the hardest hit areas. Getting out to where there are no zombies is the best bet.

Another thing to note is that I did not list a firearm. While they offer pretty good protection from zombies, they produce both light and noise, which are two of the three primary things zombies are attracted to. Those are light, noise and movement. By staying quiet and stealthy, a person has a greater chance of actually escaping the city than someone who’s gunning down zombies left and right or even just shooting the occasional zombie. I’m not saying guns are a bad choice (I’d put it on my list if it was larger), I’m saying that relying on one to get you away from the zombies is not going to work very well.

Fortunately for me, I live close enough to the wilderness that escaping into it should not take forever, while I try to evade hoards of zombies. Ideally I’d grab an emergency survival kit (bail out bag) kept close by. This kit would be fitted out with everything I would need for long term survival in the event of some sort of emergency (natural disasters, human made disasters, the collapse of society, economic collapse, pandemics, or some other form of chaos, such as a zombie apocalypse).

thubby
2011-03-03, 09:29 PM
1. Flint & Steel: Since even zippo's can run out.

i keep seeing this one. you all realize lighters have flint and steel built in, right? that's what the wheel and small rod beneath you dont normally see are.

Ricky S
2011-03-03, 09:50 PM
The movie replicas are crap. Any handfogred mass-production katana would be acceptable. As far as armor, a shark suit would be a great option to wear under your clothes. Though you would want you clothing to be tight-fitting and you hair cut short or tied up so zombies wont have anything to grab.

No I know movie replicas are crap. I meant I would love to have a real hand crafted weapon created by a master crafter.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2011-03-03, 09:54 PM
A zombie apocalypse?

2. Fake lenses
4. tattered clothing

And then you get shot/run over/otherwise killed by another survivor.

dgnslyr
2011-03-04, 01:20 AM
But flint wears out, and lighters work under the assumption of the presence of lighter fluid. Having a contingency never hurts, after all.

TheThan
2011-03-04, 01:33 AM
But flint wears out, and lighters work under the assumption of the presence of lighter fluid. Having a contingency never hurts, after all.

Also ferro rods (flint and steel basically) are designed for thousands of uses so its not likely that you'll actually use one up.

Bayar
2011-03-04, 03:23 AM
i keep seeing this one. you all realize lighters have flint and steel built in, right? that's what the wheel and small rod beneath you dont normally see are.

The flint in lighters usually is held there by a spring. After repeated uses, you'll lose your flint due to the design of the lighter to not last forever.

absolmorph
2011-03-04, 04:00 AM
My dad's rifle, as well as lots of ammunition.
A heavy jacket.
Sturdy gloves.
A canteen.
A flashlight, with batteries.

The jacket would be okay for holding the stuff I'm not using until I can scavenge a proper pack. I'd also scrounge up any other gear I'd need. With luck, I'd be able to hook up with other survivors and we'd be able to work together to keep the zeds at bay.

Quite honestly, in the event of a zed apocalypse which hits my area, I expect to be one of the first casualties. I'll fight like hell against it, but I'm not really survival-minded right now.

Mayhem
2011-03-04, 05:11 AM
1. My sword, a viking reenactment weapon so it's blunt but much tougher than a period sword.
2. Shield, it covers me shoulder to ankle and it's heater shaped. Overkill perhaps, but it should serve well.
3. Black leather trenchcoat
4. Black welding gloves.
5. Steel cap combat boots tied with black jeans, I'm not sure. Hey, they're both practical and stylish ok?:smalltongue:

Combat Reflexes
2011-03-04, 09:27 AM
And then you get shot/run over/otherwise killed by another survivor.

Ok!

5. a white t-shirt with the letters:

DON'T SHOOT ME. I'M UNDERCOVER

dehro
2011-03-04, 11:10 AM

yes, but once you're out of fluid you're gonna have to take them out of their normal encasing if you want to be able to use them..and you'll find out they're way too small to be of any practical use unless you have smurf-sized hands...
I've tried..and I don't have smurf-sized hands.

Ricky S
2011-03-05, 01:34 AM
yes, but once you're out of fluid you're gonna have to take them out of their normal encasing if you want to be able to use them..and you'll find out they're way too small to be of any practical use unless you have smurf-sized hands...
I've tried..and I don't have smurf-sized hands.

Or you could, you know, just refil the lighter once it has run out?

Eloel
2011-03-05, 02:44 AM
Or you could, you know, just refil the lighter once it has run out?

How, exactly, are you planning to fill the lighter?

thubby
2011-03-05, 11:27 AM
How, exactly, are you planning to fill the lighter?

zippos use lighter fluid. they're readily refillable with anything that works as a screw driver and fluid available everywhere.
you can even use rubbing alcohol (or the like) if you dont mind the smell and dirty burn.

Amurion
2011-03-06, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=Bayar;10487499]Even vehicles, as long as they have an electric motor, say a golf cart. It won't be fast, but it would be better than pedaling.

Remember Rule #1: Cardio. If you can't be on the move quickly on your own two feet at a moment's notice, you are screwed. As your feet are the only transportation that is with you 24/7.

Eloel
2011-03-06, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE=Bayar;10487499]Even vehicles, as long as they have an electric motor, say a golf cart. It won't be fast, but it would be better than pedaling.

Remember Rule #1: Cardio. If you can't be on the move quickly on your own two feet at a moment's notice, you are screwed. As your feet are the only transportation that is with you 24/7.
Unless you sleep & eat on the golf cart.

TheThan
2011-03-06, 03:54 PM

You'd be surprised how far someone can travel when their out of shape, especially in an emergency situation.

dehro
2011-03-06, 05:33 PM
[QUOTE=Amurion;10502923]

You'd be surprised how far someone can travel when their out of shape, especially in an emergency situation.

I would think that a bunch of drooling and shambling zombies would provide sufficient incentive to walk one's socks off:smallwink:

Lhurgyof
2011-03-06, 11:18 PM
1. My Ellis Costume
2. First Aid Supplies
3. An Axe (Chainsaws are quite heavy)
4. Some guns and bullets.
5. A ragtag team of 3 other people.

dgnslyr
2011-03-07, 01:27 AM
Will there be peelz? You can't expect to fight zombies without downing pain medication one bottle at a time.

Lhurgyof
2011-03-07, 12:40 PM
Will there be peelz? You can't expect to fight zombies without downing pain medication one bottle at a time.

There will be peelz like you cannot imagine.

bigzeee
2015-04-19, 10:38 PM
If I'm at my moms

1 machete
2 backpack
3 Bike
4 jacket
5 hammer

If im at my dads

1 football helmet
2 baseball bat
3 backpack
4 chess board
5 my acid and ex stash (happens to be all bagged up together) could just take it myself or trade away at some point. Im assuming it would be difficult to procure in the apocalypse.

Im probably screwed either way lol

Starwulf
2015-04-20, 12:20 AM
bow
arrows
road flares
lighter
entrenchment tool

bow and arrows- reusable/easy to make ammo

If it wasn't for my sharpened sword, a Bow and Arrow would be first and primary choice of weaponry for the zombie apocalypse for the long term. I'm a fairly good shot with a bow and arrow, and not only are the silent, but they also can be used to hunt for food as well(in a zombie apoc, hunting for deer/other animals with actual guns is likely a bad idea, even in rural areas).

Sword
Canteen
Zippo Lighter/Multiple bottles of replacement fluid
Bow&Arrow
Rifle

Sword just because there isn't much better for up close combat, as long as you keep it maintained properly. Bow&Arrow for hunting and medium-distance silent zombie killing. Rifle for those situations where noise doesn't matter, only speed does. Zippo Lighter so I can easily make a fire, and they do alright in a pinch as a light source. Canteen so I always have water on-hand. I'll likely be sticking to outdoor, rural areas, so I can always refill my canteen in the rivers around here, and the longer the apocalypse goes on, the cleaner the waters going to be as our pollution fades out of it.

Edit: Aww hell, fooled by a necro ><

No brains
2015-04-20, 04:52 AM
Oh my god, one of my first posts has come back as a zombie! Crap! Where'd I put my zeppelin?

dehro
2015-04-20, 06:10 AM
Oh my god, one of my first posts has come back as a zombie! Crap! Where'd I put my zeppelin?

with your nickname, you should be quite allright amidst zombies.
that said, thread necromancy.. I expect this to die soon

No brains
2015-04-20, 07:00 AM
with your nickname, you should be quite allright amidst zombies.
that said, thread necromancy.. I expect this to die soon

My name would only help against Return of the Living Dead zombies! We're talking about Night of the Living Dead zombies! And the thread is now a necromancy zombie and not one of them can read! I need my dirigible right now! I would have messed myself by now if I hadn't kept to my plan to eschew pants the whole time I've been on GitP.
:smalltongue: