PDA

View Full Version : Binding Elementals and Outsiders

Milo v3
2011-02-25, 12:37 AM
Background InfoWe all know that to animate constructs you need to bind a elemental to it. In my campagin you can bind any creature thats soul "isn't" seperate from its body. So that means you can bind angels and devils.
Also in my campaign you can bind these souls to creatures, objects, Constructs, Areas, ect. Its seen as evil but can be very useful.

So what effects would binding them do to people, objects, constructs, and area?

In my campaign their are the following Elementals:

Air
Fire
Earth
Water
Positive
Negative
Wood
Arcana

Land Outcast
2011-02-25, 01:16 AM
Well, if you have that window I belive it'd be wasted making every fire elemental give fire energy resistance and fire damage, or every celestial granting a holy weapon.
What I mean is it'd be great to make the bindings on a case for case basis, say:

Horned devil:

Bound to a creature/construct: grants weapon proficiency with spiked chain, grants the ability to summon a evil-and-law-aligned spiked chain, grants the Stun ability whenever using that spiked chain. (Whenever a horned devil hits with a spiked chain attack, the opponent must succeed on a DC 27 Fortitude save or be stunned for 1d4 rounds.)

Bound to an object: the object is detected as evil and law aligned, any damage dealt with it carries the effects of Infernal Wound, the object has DR 10/good and silver. (An injured creature loses 2 additional hit points each round. The wound does not heal naturally and resists healing spells. The continuing hit point loss can be stopped by a DC 24 Heal check, a cure spell, or a heal spell. However, a character attempting to cast a cure spell or a heal spell on a creature damaged by a horned devil’s tail must succeed on a DC 24 caster level check, or the spell has no effect on the injured character.)

Bound to an area: the area detects as evil and law aligned, it is under a constant magic circle against good, and a creature in the area must succeed on a DC 23 Will save or be affected as though by a fear spell (caster level 15th). A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again for 24 hours. Devils are immune to this effect.

Note: There could be a variant granting spell-like abilities, but I belive this is far more flavorful

Milo v3
2011-02-25, 01:20 AM
That's exactly the type of thing I was looking for.
The thing is Elemental's are easier to bind. So they would be simpler then Outsiders with thier complex abilties.
I didn't want something amazingly simple like "Fire Elemental give fire resistance". Thats boring.

But just on thing. Wouldn't your example be more suited to Chain Devil?

Land Outcast
2011-02-25, 02:00 AM
That's exactly the type of thing I was looking for.
The thing is Elemental's are easier to bind. So they would be simpler then Outsiders with thier complex abilties.
I didn't want something amazingly simple like "Fire Elemental give fire resistance". Thats boring.Great! :smallsmile: I see we agree

But just on thing. Wouldn't your example be more suited to Chain Devil?Nope, the spiked chain, after all, is a staple of the Horned Devil... besides, remember that chain devils are far less powerful than horned devils (a difference of 10 in CR), so his abilities might not be as great:

Chain Devil: (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Chain_Devil)

Bound to a creature/construct: grants the Dancing Chains supernatural ability: control up to four chains within 20 feet as a standard action, making the chains dance or move as it wishes. In addition, can increase these chains’ length by up to 15 feet and cause them to sprout razor-edged barbs. These chains attack at "+10 melee (2d4+2/19-20)". If a chain is in another creature’s possession, the creature can attempt a DC 15 Will save to break the power over that chain. If the save is successful, the creature cannot attempt to control that particular chain again for 24 hours or until the chain leaves the creature’s possession. The chains are treated as evil-and-law-aligned.

Bound to an object: the object is detected as evil and law aligned, the object has DR 5/good or silver.

Bound to an area: the area detects as evil and law aligned, it is under a constant unnerve effect: Will DC 15 negates. Creatures are assaulted by constant memories of their departed loved ones or bitter enemies. Those who fail their saves take a -2 penalty on attack rolls while in the area.

Milo v3
2011-02-25, 02:54 AM
Guess your right:smalltongue:
Heres a list of Creatures that can be bound:
Archons

Lantern Archon
Hound Archon
Trumpet Archon

Demon

Babau
Balor
Bebilith
Dretch (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10446574&postcount=7)
Glabrezu (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10447398&postcount=10)
Herzou
Marilith
Quasit
Succubus
Vrock

Devil

Barbed Devil
Bearded Devil
Bone Devil
Chain devil (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10444795&postcount=4)
Erinyes
Hellcat
Horned devil (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10444601&postcount=2)
Ice Devil
Imp
Lemure
Pit Fiend

Eladrin
Bralani
Ghaele

Elemental
Air Elemental
Arcana Elemental
Earth Elemental
Fire Elemental
Invisible Stalker
Positive Elemental
Magmin
Negative Elemental
Thoqqua
Wood Elemental

Genie
Djinni
Efreeti
Janni

Guardinal
Avoral
Leonal

Mephit
Air
Dust
Earth
Fire
Ice
Magma
Ooze
Salt
Steam
Water

Slaad
Red
Blue
Green
Gray
Death

Other Outsiders
Achaierai
Arrowhawk
Azer
Barghest
Couatl
Formian
Hell Hound
Howler
Lillend
Nightmare
Rakshasas
Rast
Ravid
Salamander
Shadow Mastiff
Titan
Tojanda
Vargouille
Xill
Xorn
Yeth Hound

Land Outcast
2011-02-25, 03:01 AM
How do I add the link to the exact post?
See the little number on the top right of each post? that's a link to the single post, for example:

Horned devil
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10444601&postcount=2

And if you want to make the word itself into a hyperlink:
[*URL="http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10444601&postcount=2"]Horned devil[/URL*]

(without the asterisks)

Benly
2011-02-25, 11:41 AM
Let's not forget the single most popular demon among people who can't afford anything worthwhile: the humble dretch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm#dretch).

Bound to a creature or construct, the dretch soul gives off a whiff of its famously noxious Stinking Cloud. Creatures within 5 feet of the dretchbound creature must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Con bonus, if any) or become sickened until they move away from it.

Bound to an object, it gets a little of the dretch's Scare ability. A successful critical hit with the object renders its target shaken for 1d4 rounds. The object is also treated as chaotic and evil.

Bound to a location, the area is filled with a disquieting odor. Good- or lawful-aligned creatures within the area must make a DC 12 Fortitude save or be sickened as long as they remain in the area.

So it's not very impressive. What did you expect? It's a dretch.

Veyr
2011-02-25, 12:34 PM
Make a series of Item Creation feats for this kind of thing? The Eberron Campaign Setting has Bind Elemental; you could add Bind Angel, Bind Fiend, maybe?

Binding Modrons to machinery to make them more reliable?

DiBastet
2011-02-25, 01:41 PM
You could just use eberron's idea and arbitrarily say that certain magic items need this x or y binding.

It could also be the basis of your magic item creation, as in the Elder Scrolls games. Every permanent item would need a certain outsider, binding a more powerful one could give discount.

And pardon me, but in my campaign setting there exists exactly the same elementals. What did you use for the non-classic ones? Never had to use the Life, Death, Wood and Magic elementals, but they will be needed sson, and if you already have something it would make my life easier.

Land Outcast
2011-02-25, 02:22 PM
Glabrezu:

Bound to a creature/construct: grants a natural pincer attack always at the following bonus (damage die varies per size of host, damage given for a medium host): "Pincer +20 melee (1d10+10)". The pincer replaces one of the creatures upper appendages and grants a +4 bonus on grapple checks. The pincer is treated as evil-and-chaos-aligned.

Bound to an object: the object is detected as evil and chaos aligned, the object has DR 10/good. Should it be used to deal damage, as part of an attack action (but not a full attack action) it also has the effect of chaos hammer (DC 19, CL 14).

Bound to an area: the area detects as evil and chaos aligned, creatures entering the area are targeted with dispel magic (DC 19, CL 14). Furthermore, all creatures inside the area see other creatures inside the area as per true sight.

LOTRfan
2011-02-25, 02:53 PM
Inevitables and Modrons are Constructs. Can you bind all extraplanar creatures, or just Elementals/Outsiders?

Milo v3
2011-02-25, 05:16 PM
Constructs
Make a series of Item Creation feats for this kind of thing? The Eberron Campaign Setting has Bind Elemental; you could add Bind Angel, Bind Fiend, maybe?

Binding Modrons to machinery to make them more reliable?

Fixed the inevitables. Also I'm currently making a class with Binding Elementals & Outsiders. Here it is Binder (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Binder_(Keran))(Remember I haven't finished).

Elementals

And pardon me, but in my campaign setting there exists exactly the same elementals. What did you use for the non-classic ones? Never had to use the Life, Death, Wood and Magic elementals, but they will be needed sson, and if you already have something it would make my life easier.In my campaign the elements are the Classic four, Arcane, and the three energies which power living, undead, and plants.

Veyr
2011-02-25, 05:30 PM
I'd consider another name for that class; 3.5 already has the Binder from Tome of Magic. Just a consideration; homebrewing for 3.5 often runs into these kinds of annoying name conflicts.

Milo v3
2011-02-25, 06:26 PM
I'd consider another name for that class; 3.5 already has the Binder from Tome of Magic. Just a consideration; homebrewing for 3.5 often runs into these kinds of annoying name conflicts.

It has no relation to the Binder from ToM. The Binder is being specifically designed for my setting "Blades Of Keran". Its like my variant Paladin (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Paladin_(Keran)).