PDA

View Full Version : Critique my Favored Soul? 3.5

fracas
2011-02-25, 01:00 AM
Building this for a friend who likes playing but not building so much.

Human Cloistered Favored Soul 8 (custom - Cloistered does to FS essentially what it does to Cleric)
Str14 Dex16 Con14 Int12 Wis8 Cha18
-Lvl 4 and 8 points into Cha
-Freebie item of +4 Cha
-+2 items of Dex and Con
Adjusted stats: Str10 Dex18 Con16 Int12 Wis13 Cha24

Houserule: Trade energy resistances or WeapFoc+WeapSpec for Turn/Rebuke attempts. I'll also be negotiating to trade the other one for Cleric domains.

Build plan: Currently, I'm currently trading WF+WS for Rebuke Undead to make this guy a secondary necromancer (worships Wee Jas). Offensively he'll be focusing mostly on ray spells and such that don't allow a save, and using heavy metamagic to boost damage. If he gets in melee he uses Concentration to cast defensively, and carries a crossbow and a morningstar for backup.

The rest of the casting will be buffs, walls of X, a healing spell or two, some utility, and undead minion-related.

Feats: (would love feedback on this)
H Empower
1 Practical Empower
3 Ocular Spell/Split Ray
6 Practical Ocular Spell/Split Ray
9 Maximize
12 Practical Maximize
15 Rapid Metamagic
18 Combat Casting

Questions:
-I remember reading some tricks to get arcane spells added to my divine list, but can't seem to find them now. Can someone remind me? I know the Anyspells and Doc Roc's War Weaver builds at http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152070 but those are a bit complicated for the player I'm building this for.

-Given that this character will have medium-high AC, three good saves, and massive Charisma, a level of Paladin of Tyranny for Divine Grace might be worth it at the cost of one caster level. Thoughts?

-What does everyone think of Corpse Crafting from Libris Mortis? I'm not sure how optimal it is but it looks fun at atmospheric and fairly strong.

Thurbane
2011-02-25, 01:29 AM
A couple of feats to consider:

Versatile Spellcaster - great for any spont. caster
Rapid Metamagic - the only (?) way for spont. casters to get Quicken Spell
Apprentice (spellcaster) - get UMD on your class list

fracas
2011-02-25, 06:53 PM
Rapid MM is already on my list, although Ocular Spell reduces the need for it a bit since it would let her cast 2 already MM'd spells in a single full round action.

Versatile Spellcaster might be worthwhile but so far she hasn't had much problem running out of spells, and the feat might be better spent elsewhere.

The need for UMD as a class skill is somewhat obviated by the tricks I'm trying to remember for getting arcane spells added to the divine list. Any ideas there?

Also, suggestions for PrCs would be great. The only thing she gets out of continuing cloistered favored soul is lots of skill points... which are nice, but class abilities would be better.

As mentioned, the character will be a mix of blaster (mainly ranged touch attacks), necromancer, and buffer... secondary controlling and healing.