PDA

View Full Version : Baldock the Man-Bat

Elric VIII
2011-02-25, 01:33 AM
I have a friend that originally wanted to play a Paladin, then decided to not play in the group after all. He has changed his mind and now has asked to be a different type of character. He wants to be like Baldock (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjqnOqn9f3A).

We are restricted to a non-evil characters, but I think the concept can be worked with.

My thoughts are:
1Anthropomorphic Bat: Monk 2/PsiWar 18
He will use Tashalatora, Superior UAS, Beast Strike, and Insightful Attack.
2Mongrelfolk: Barbarian 1/Totemist 19
He will be able to pounce and all that good stuff while making claw attacks, he will also bind some sort of flying soulmeld.
3Dragonborn (something) Warblade 15/Bloodclaw Master 5
He will use fact that flyby attack allows a standard action to use maneuvers while charging around.

I would lean toward option 1 or 3, since Incarnum is a bit complicated and he's a first time player. I have a few questions recarding each build. I would like to avoid homebrew/3rd party material, but any WotC book or Dragon Magazine is fine.

Is there any way to increase his fly speed for the anthro bat(the character is supposed to be fast)?

Is there anything else that will allow the character to capitalize on the big Wis boost of the anthro bat?

I've never played with Incarnum, but I have made some potential builds. Is this concept viable with totemist?

Is there a way to give him claws after he becomes a Dragonborn, such as a Draconic feat?

He has expressed the interest in controlling "creatures of the night." My thought is an animal companion. I know there is a feat (Wild Cohort, maybe?) that gives him an animal compion. Is there a way to make a bat/dire bat companion for him?

Thurbane
2011-02-25, 01:43 AM
The Nycter from MM III isn't horrible, if you can put up with 3 MH RHD and +2 LA. I used one of these for an Iron Chef build I never ended up submitting.

If LA buyoff is allowed, you can lose the +2 LA. And Monstrous Humanoid levels aren't too horrible for a non-caster (BAB +3, Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +3).

Amnestic
2011-02-25, 01:46 AM
Is there a way to give him claws after he becomes a Dragonborn, such as a Draconic feat?

Draconic Claws, Races of the Dragon pg. 102.
Requires Draconic Heritage, Sorc 1*

Gives two size-based claw attacks and lets you use a swift action claw attack at your full attack bonus if you cast a spell as a standard action in that round.

*Dragontouched Feat (Dragon Magic, pg. 18) can substitute for a sorcerer level and treats you as a Sorcerer X (where X is character level) with regards to qualifying for Draconic feats.

Thurbane
2011-02-25, 01:50 AM
*Dragontouched Feat (Dragon Magic, pg. 18) can substitute for a sorcerer level and treats you as a Sorcerer X (where X is character level) with regards to qualifying for Draconic feats.
Huh, never noticed the clause about qualifying for Sorcerer feats. Nice one. :smallsmile:

Elric VIII
2011-02-25, 02:00 AM
Draconic Claws, Races of the Dragon pg. 102.
Requires Draconic Heritage, Sorc 1*

Gives two size-based claw attacks and lets you use a swift action claw attack at your full attack bonus if you cast a spell as a standard action in that round.

That's good. Now, are there ways to increase fly speed?

Amnestic
2011-02-25, 02:14 AM
That's good. Now, are there ways to increase fly speed?

Connected to being draconic? There is an Improved Speed feat in the Draconomnomnomnomnomicon, but it requires Str 13 and the Dragon type, so I'm pretty sure a Dragonborn won't qualify. Dragonwrought Kobold would. The Air Heritage feat (Planar Handbook) gives you +30 to fly speed, a few other goodies and has no pre-requisites iirc.

Waker
2011-02-25, 02:19 AM
If flying is important to this character you may also consider Improved Flight from CAdv. Taking it improves your flying maneuverability by one step.

Elric VIII
2011-02-25, 02:28 AM
The Air Heritage feat (Planar Handbook) gives you +30 to fly speed, a few other goodies and has no pre-requisites iirc.

This is perfect.

If flying is important to this character you may also consider Improved Flight from CAdv. Taking it improves your flying maneuverability by one step.

The character is probobly going to make dive attacks, so this should be good.

Thank you.

Now, both of those abilities can be used to help a Dragonborn and a Man-Bat. What are people's opinions on the relative ease of play of the two builds? They seem like they will have a relatively equal power level.

Analytica
2011-02-25, 08:26 PM
Looking at that clip, I can totally see Baldock as a drow warlock. Refluff Fell flight and spider climb as wings and foot claws. Refluff Eldritch blast as flying past things and cutting them with your claws, then returning to where you were.

Elric VIII
2011-02-26, 02:28 AM
Looking at that clip, I can totally see Baldock as a drow warlock. Refluff Fell flight and spider climb as wings and foot claws. Refluff Eldritch blast as flying past things and cutting them with your claws, then returning to where you were.

He could even use the Eldritch Claws feat, but I personally dislike the Warlock class and I think the concept can be better achieved by different means.