PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Celestial-Blessed Template

Rasman
2011-02-25, 02:19 AM
Wow.

I'm amazed that this is ONLY a CR +1 Template.

I mean, it's even up on the PFSRD, so it's pretty available to everyone and really seems to be aimed at Players more so than DMs. The only application I can find for it for DMs is for an Evil Campaign.

The real question is, though. What's the best Celestial to be blessed by?

I can't really see Casters wanting this template, but for a melee type, this could be fairly huge.

Any thoughts on this?

Drothmal
2011-02-25, 06:26 AM
This is one of the most incredibly OP templates I've seen. For 1 level you can get up to +18 to ability scores (solar) on top of resistances and special attacks!!!

I cannot believe that was actually published. Things like that give 3rd party a bad rep

OK, all that being said, since I'm a sucker for melee (particularly paladins and fighters) I have to say that solars and planetars are awesome!!!! I can see a ranged solar-blessed paladin or a good old fashion 2H fighter (with the 2H variant and the planetar-blessed fast healing) being ridiculous!

Rasman
2011-02-25, 08:44 AM
This is one of the most incredibly OP templates I've seen. For 1 level you can get up to +18 to ability scores (solar) on top of resistances and special attacks!!!

I cannot believe that was actually published. Things like that give 3rd party a bad rep

OK, all that being said, since I'm a sucker for melee (particularly paladins and fighters) I have to say that solars and planetars are awesome!!!! I can see a ranged solar-blessed paladin or a good old fashion 2H fighter (with the 2H variant and the planetar-blessed fast healing) being ridiculous!

The fast healing 2 I looked at and went...OMGWTFBBQSAUCE...but the one that REALLY struck me was the Lionel for Monks. I mean, Pounce and 3 free heals a day, that's just awesome and, ignoring the good stats, isn't TERRIBLY unbalanced.

Volthawk
2011-02-25, 08:53 AM
Hey, I recognise that template. It was in a 3rd party 3.5 book (Advanced Bestiary by Green Ronin). There the LA was either 2 or 3, depending on the celestial.

Rasman
2011-02-25, 08:59 AM
Hey, I recognise that template. It was in a 3rd party 3.5 book (Advanced Bestiary by Green Ronin). There the LA was either 2 or 3, depending on the celestial.

yep...that's exactly where it's from...the D20PFSRD only lists it as a +1 though...could be an error on their part

Volthawk
2011-02-25, 09:01 AM
yep...that's exactly where it's from...the D20PFSRD only lists it as a +1 though...could be an error on their part

What I think it was is that Advanced Bestiary had it as CR +1, LA +2/3. As Pathfinder got rid of LA, they just kept the CR +1 part.

Rasman
2011-02-25, 09:51 AM
What I think it was is that Advanced Bestiary had it as CR +1, LA +2/3. As Pathfinder got rid of LA, they just kept the CR +1 part.

AAAHHHHHH. I bet you're right.

Yora
2011-02-25, 09:57 AM
When referencing online sources, please include links. This makes it a lot easier for people to help, even if they don't know exactly what it is about.
So here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/celestial-blessed-creature-template)'s the link, btw. :smallamused:

And by NO WAY is this LA+1! Just a very short skip over it makes me rate this as at least LA +5!
That's the reason CR=LA is not a very good idea.

TroubleBrewing
2011-02-25, 11:13 AM
YYYeeeaaaahhh... I'm going to agree with Yora on this one. No sane DM is going to allow a +1 LA template that grants +4 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Int, +4 Wis, +4 Cha, on top of some pretty solid SLA's. Again, 3rd party material nearly ALWAYS requires some amount of overlooking before allowing it into your game. Heck, even with all of the close-to-broken Wotc-approved templates out there, I can't think of one that comes close to this strong (Next to Feral, of course).

Curious
2011-02-25, 11:23 AM
Oh, wow. This looks like the kind of thing the DM shoves into the corner and keeps very, very far away from the sight of the players. You know, I don't actually mind the whole CR=level thing, but that just breaks it right there.

TroubleBrewing
2011-02-25, 12:11 PM
You know, I don't actually mind the whole CR=level thing, but that just breaks it right there.

If this hadn't done it for you, had you looked at Stone Giant? It's CR 8 with 14HD. Seem balanced?

Mojo_Rat
2011-02-25, 01:27 PM
the cr is level thing is left up to dm judgement. it's for them to decide if something is appropriate. it works well with low cr stuff like werewolves or centaurs. probably not so well with giants. though the giant is probably serviceable at lvl 10 eyeballing it.

the template is 3rd party and clearly unbalanced. however a dm doesn't have to hide it they can just say no.

The Glyphstone
2011-02-25, 01:30 PM
If this hadn't done it for you, had you looked at Stone Giant? It's CR 8 with 14HD. Seem balanced?

Giant-type Hit Dice kinda suck, so yeah, not really unbalanced. They're basically fighter levels without bonus feats or class features.

Chess435
2011-02-25, 01:37 PM
This material is either conversion of something from a previous edition of the rules or a completely new creation. In most cases this applies to conversions of existing monsters, such as monsters from the Tome of Horrors or other books that were released for the 3.5 edition of the rules. In any event, it is important to note that this material is not from Paizo and has not been endorsed by Paizo in any way.

Not officially Pathfinder material but a fan conversion.

Thefurmonger
2011-02-25, 01:58 PM
I'm away from my books ATM but isn't the whole CR=LA Pathfinder thing just a guideline?

I thought that was the whole point.

TroubleBrewing
2011-02-25, 04:47 PM
Giant-type Hit Dice kinda suck, so yeah, not really unbalanced. They're basically fighter levels without bonus feats or class features.

Well, yeah. But if Stone Giant is LA +8, that means in a 9th level game, you've got your 9th level cleric, your 9th level rogue, and a 1st level fighter with 15 HD.

Curious
2011-02-25, 06:25 PM
As I stated, I don't really mind the CR adjustment thing, as it makes it very easy to judge on the fly what things are worth. That doesn't make me any less glad, however, that that is a third-party template, so my idealized Paizo can remain awesome.