PDA

View Full Version : [3,5] Fiend of Possesion

PetterTomBos
2011-02-25, 09:47 AM
Where's the FoB written?

What is the lowest lvl. at which you can start possesing people?

Do you 100% absolutely need to be evil?

Yora
2011-02-25, 09:50 AM
Step 1: www.google.com
Step 2: "D&D Fiend of Possession"
Step 3: Read the top listed results -> Fiend Folio.

Since possession is the whole point of the class, I assume you can start right at 1st level.

Not sure if you have to be evil alignment, but you have to be an outsider with the (evil) subtype.

Last Laugh
2011-02-25, 10:56 AM
In case you don't have access, You have to be an outsider with the Evil Subtype.

You can possess objects at FoP level 2 (ECL 5) and creatures at FoP level 4 you can possess creatures (ECL 7)

Earliest entry to fiend of possession is level 3, with 3 dips in High will save classes.

If you are using fractional saves variant, you have to wait until level 6, then you can take your first level in the class (Beguiler 6/FoP 1 for example)

Edit: Sorry for the double post, There was an error. Is deleted.

golem1972
2011-02-25, 11:15 AM
AFB, so this may not be 100%.

IIRC, FoP gets possess objects first, then possess creatures at around level 4.

Lowest level entry is (I think) Kaorti (2HD + 2LA) or (can't remember the name, but it's an outsider from manual of the planes and it's ECL 1 but you'd need to buy an expensive Ritual of Alignment to gain the Evil subtype). So, people possession around level 8 or 9.

I think one of the guys had a cohort that was a Bard 1 (with Precocious Apprentice: Charm Person) / Kaorti (4) / FoP 6 / FoCorruption 6 with Mindbender 1 in there somewhere.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-02-25, 11:20 AM
It requires Outsider (Evil) creature type and subtype, which can be achieved for +0 LA with the Savage Progression Aasimar or Tiefling (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) and never spending a level on the rest of the racial abilities, along with the Ritual of Alignment in Savage Species, which is a bit risky if you don't have that same alignment, requires the services of a cleric with that alignment domain, and costs you 56,000 gp and 2240 xp.

FoP also requires a base Will save of +5 and both Hide and Kn: Arcana 6 ranks. You can qualify with something like Monk 1/ Warlock 2 or Soulknife 1/ Psion 2, for example.

You can possess objects only at the first level of the class, you can control those objects at the third class level (such as making a crossbow fire on its own), and you can animate and control objects you possess as the Animate Objects spell at the fourth class level. Creature possession is gained at the fourth class level, and you can control a possessed creature at the sixth and final class level. At the 2nd level you can add magical weapon properties to a weapon you possess equal to your class level, at the 5th level you can give a creature you possess a +4 profane bonus to each of its ability scores, or a -4 penalty at your option.

PetterTomBos
2011-02-25, 12:44 PM
A bit dumb question, about where it is, I'll give you that :P

I'd rather avoid the ritual. Is it 100% that you need to be evil?

First lvl. to do it without being evil?

nedz
2011-02-25, 01:42 PM
It requires Outsider (Evil) creature type and subtype, which can be achieved for +0 LA with the Savage Progression Aasimar or Tiefling (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) and never spending a level on the rest of the racial abilities, along with the Ritual of Alignment in Savage Species, which is a bit risky if you don't have that same alignment, requires the services of a cleric with that alignment domain, and costs you 56,000 gp and 2240 xp.

Sadly, and bizarrely, Tieflings are Outsider(native) not Outsider(evil).
Aasimar is right out.

Swok
2011-02-25, 02:03 PM
That's why with Tiefling entry you also get the ritual of alignment. That gives the (Evil) subtype.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-02-25, 02:17 PM
Sadly, and bizarrely, Tieflings are Outsider(native) not Outsider(evil).
Aasimar is right out.

Every Outsider in all of 3.5 gains the Native subtype on its home plane. Demons while in the Abyss are Outsider (Evil, Chaotic, Native). There's no limit on how many subtypes a creature can have. Any Aasimar and Tiefling could gain the Evil subtype through the Ritual of Alignment, and they don't even need to be evil aligned to do it.

gorfnab
2011-02-25, 02:21 PM
You may want to read the Fiend of Possession Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7518.0).

Curmudgeon
2011-02-25, 02:45 PM
That's why with Tiefling entry you also get the ritual of alignment. That gives the (Evil) subtype.

Ritual Cost: This ritual costs the subject 56,000 gold pieces and 2,240 XP. You can't afford the Ritual of Alignment (using the standard wealth by level figures) until level 13. Since the OP wants the lowest level that will work with Fiend of Possession, this is a very poor approach.

Urpriest
2011-02-25, 04:08 PM
A bit dumb question, about where it is, I'll give you that :P

I'd rather avoid the ritual. Is it 100% that you need to be evil?

First lvl. to do it without being evil?

You don't need to be evil, you need the (Evil) subtype.

Steward
2011-02-25, 04:21 PM
"You don't have to be Evil to work here, but... you kinda do. Now eat this kitten."

tuesdayscoming
2011-02-25, 04:44 PM
Slightly off topic, but I found a FoP build (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19856710/Ghostwalk_MotUHFoP:_Please_review!&post_num=1) recently that I thought was interesting.

nedz
2011-02-25, 05:19 PM
"You don't have to be Evil to work here, but... you kinda do. Now eat this kitten."

Fiend of Possesion, the clues in the title :smallsmile:

Akal Saris
2011-02-25, 05:49 PM
Well, at least it's not Friend of Possession =P

And yes, you basically have to be evil. Talk with your DM about it though - it's an easy house-rule to be non-good, for example. The Book of Exalted Deeds even has rules for voluntarily letting a celestial possess ("Channel") you.

The Glyphstone
2011-02-25, 05:56 PM
Every Outsider in all of 3.5 gains the Native subtype on its home plane. Demons while in the Abyss are Outsider (Evil, Chaotic, Native). There's no limit on how many subtypes a creature can have. Any Aasimar and Tiefling could gain the Evil subtype through the Ritual of Alignment, and they don't even need to be evil aligned to do it.

That's...not what the [Native] subtype means. Being an Outsider [Native] means you're specifically tied to the Prime Material Plane, as opposed to an Outer/Inner Plane, and thus can be Resurrected/Raised as if you were a non-outsider. It's when you're not on your home plane that you gain the [Extraplanar] subtype. The two aren't opposites of each other.

This does not alter the fact that there is no limit on the number of subtypes you can have, though, so the rest of your point stands.