PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 / pathfinder: can imp familiar equip items?

ragga
2011-02-25, 12:18 PM
hey all, first post from a new member here :smallsmile:

so i'm running a 10th level wizard, with the improved familiar feat, and im trying to convince my DM that the familiar can equip items, use wands, etc.

the improved familiar feat doesnt mention it, but it just seems logical that an intelligent creature, with spell like abilities, etc, could activate items or wear a neck piece, etc.

where can I find precedent for this in 3.5 or pathfinder? plz help!

randomhero00
2011-02-25, 12:27 PM
Pretty simple, does it get its own HD and feats? If so then yes. But they'd have to be custom made which adds a decent cost to it.

ragga
2011-02-25, 12:30 PM
well, as a familiar, the hp is a flat 50% of mine, but the creature is in the monster manual with listed hit dice.

similarly, the familiar doesn't gain feats as it levels, but it starts off with a couple from the monster manual.

so where does that leave me?

Gnaeus
2011-02-25, 01:08 PM
It can speak.
It has a humanoid form (so all the slots make sense). It has hands.
It can use all your skills, including UMD if you have it.
According to SRD "Anyone can use a wondrous item (unless specified otherwise in the description)."

So why couldn't it?

Pretty simple, does it get its own HD and feats? If so then yes. But they'd have to be custom made which adds a decent cost to it.

Also SRD "Size And Magic Items

When an article of magic clothing or jewelry is discovered, most of the time size shouldn’t be an issue. Many magic garments are made to be easily adjustable, or they adjust themselves magically to the wearer. Size should not keep characters of various kinds from using magic items. "

Maybe it couldn't use a cloak, with its wings, but otherwise, all good.

randomhero00
2011-02-25, 01:16 PM
I was referencing buying stuff.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-02-25, 01:35 PM
I was referencing buying stuff.

:smallconfused: I really don't understand what are you referring to here. Imps should be able to buy stuff since they can speak and all; but good luck finding a magic mart that will sell to evil outsiders (assuming you aren't on an interplanar metropolis such as Sigil or the city of Brass.

ragga
2011-02-25, 01:36 PM
that is exactly the line of reasoning i have been taking, but it seems i'm going to need some textual evidence from a 3.5 or pathfinder book.

on a side note, it doesn't specifically have to be an imp. the improved familiar feat can apply to many inteligent creatures that can speak, have a humanoid form, have su and/or sp abilities, etc.

some even say they use weapons, so why not a wand?

Gnaeus
2011-02-25, 01:37 PM
Why would buying magic items that fit it be harder than finding items that fit it in an ancient tomb? If there is a difference in the rule it seems like you would be more likely to buy an appropriate sized item. (A shopkeeper might have items crafted for small humanoids, that would fit better on a Tiny)

that is exactly the line of reasoning i have been taking, but it seems i'm going to need some textual evidence from a 3.5 or pathfinder book.

on a side note, it doesn't specifically have to be an imp. the improved familiar feat can apply to many inteligent creatures that can speak, have a humanoid form, have su and/or sp abilities, etc.

To use a wand, the familiar would need Use Magic Device. Familiars can use their master's skills, it says so in the description of familiars. It doesn't specifically say a familiar can UMD a wand.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-02-25, 01:39 PM

They can, there isn't a problem with Imps, which are Humnoid creatures to se magic items, check MoI they've got some charts that esentially tells you which slots are available for which items in creatures with a non-humanoid body.

Gullintanni
2011-02-25, 01:59 PM
Even a regular familiar can use wands as long as they meet the physical requirements. Ravens can speak, and use their masters' skills. The prerequisites for a wand require a verbal trigger, the spell to be cast is on your spell list or UMD. Ergo, Ravens can use wands.

As long as your familiar has the requisite abilities and appropriately sized/shaped equipment, then they can use gear.

motionmatrix
2011-09-22, 02:46 PM
Okie couple of points, all using the books to back it up (pathfinder):

From Use Magic Device, Chapter 4 skills, core book:

"Use a Wand, Staff, or Other Spell Trigger Item: Normally, to
use a wand, you must have the wand’s spell on your class
spell list. This use of the skill allows you to use a wand as if
you had a particular spell on your class spell list.
Action: None. The Use Magic Device check is made as part
of the action (if any) required to activate the magic item."

There is no physical component to your class spell lists. it does not matter whether you are a toad or an orc, your class spell list is not determined by your body. (Full disclosure: you must still be able to physically use the item based on how it is activated, i.e. a magic sword must be swung for the magic to take effect.)

A rogue with an intelligence of 6 can use UMD to activate items without a problem. A 10th level wizard familiar has an int of 10. (note: UMD is based off charisma)

From Wand descriptions, chapter 15 magic items, core book:

"Activation: Wands use the spell trigger activation method,
so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action
that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell
being cast has a longer casting time than 1 action, however,
it takes that long to cast the spell from a wand.) To activate
a wand, a character must hold it in hand (or whatever passes
for a hand, for nonhumanoid creatures) and point it in the
general direction of the target or area. A wand may be used
while grappling or while swallowed whole."

From Using Items, chapter 15 magic items, core book:

"Spell Trigger: Spell trigger activation is similar to spell
completion, but it’s even simpler. No gestures or spell
finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting
that an appropriate character would know, and a single word
that must be spoken. Spell trigger items can be used by anyone
whose class can cast the corresponding spell. This is the case
even for a character who can’t actually cast spells, such as a
3rd-level paladin. The user must still determine what spell is
stored in the item before she can activate it. Activating a spell
trigger item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks
of opportunity."

From Familiar (Under Wizard), Chapter 3 Classes, Core book:

"Speak with Master (Ex): If the master is 5th level or
higher, a familiar and the master can communicate
verbally as if they were using a common language.
Other creatures do not understand the communication
without magical help."

As long as your familiar has an appendage that can hold the wand and point it in the right direction, and can speak (any familiar from a 5th level wizard or higher has the ability to do so) it should be able to do as long as it rolls high enough in the UMD check.

From Armor for Unusual Creatures, Chapter 6 equipment, Core book:

"Armor and shields for unusually big creatures, unusually
little creatures, and nonhumanoid creatures (such as
horses) have different costs and weights from those given
on Table 6–6. Refer to the appropriate line on Table 6–8
and apply the multipliers to cost and weight for the armor
type in question."

If you want your familiar to use other magical items, stuff it can wear, chances are you will have to have it custom made then enchanted to your specifications; they must fit in the slot it was intended to (for example, without DM ruling, an imp cannot wear a necklace as a belt).

The above paragraph is the closest I can find to anything that touches upon the subject, and the DM is ultimately going to have to give you some input since it relates to armor and shield only.

I, however, cannot imagine you could not go the big city and find the finest doll maker in town, who probably already has many Masterwork capes that would likely fit your familiar just fine =)

hope this helps.

averagejoe
2011-09-23, 10:18 PM
The Mod They Call Me: Thread necromancy.